Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband Speed & Ping Test Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    Suppose to be there higher internet package at €50 a month.
    So the speeds are not bad ?

Speeds are grand if you're just browsing the web, more than enough.

If you were to be downloading large file, you'd be waiting.

It's also fine enough for Netflix SD.

What part of Wexford?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Not bad for that type of connection, but nothing compared to a decent fixed line connection (may not be available to you).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    Speeds are grand if you're just browsing the web, more than enough.

If you were to be downloading large file, you'd be waiting.

It's also fine enough for Netflix SD.

What part of Wexford?

Enniscorthy

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    Enniscorthy

Town or out the country?

If town, you could probably get 100mb fibre connection with Eircom or vodafone etc.

Vodafone would be €38 a month.

I believe Enniscorthy is also listed for 1GB speed FTTH. I'll be jealous when they get that :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Town or out the country?

If town, you could probably get 100mb fibre connection with Eircom or vodafone etc.

Vodafone would be €38 a month.

I believe Enniscorthy is also listed for 1GB speed FTTH. I'll be jealous when they get that :P

No ,country , so wont be getting that unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 Barry Kelliher

I am getting upgraded to efibre within the next week. I am 500m from the exchange following the road, because i am connected directly to the exchange my line wont be vectored so i will only be able to get speeds of up to 70mb/s. Currently i am recieving 17mb/s on ADSL2+ could anybody give me rough estimate of what speeds i might get when i finally get upgraded to efibre.

I am getting upgraded to efibre within the next week. I am 500m from the exchange following the road, because i am connected directly to the exchange my line wont be vectored so i will only be able to get speeds of up to 70mb/s. Currently i am recieving 17mb/s on ADSL2+ could anybody give me rough estimate of what speeds i might get when i finally get upgraded to efibre.

Sounds about the same as me. Currently getting 17mb, getting upgraded to fibre at the end of the month. About 600m away from the exchange with only a handful of houses between the exchange and my house.

I'd also like to know the answer to this if anyone has a rough idea.

Or let me know how you get on when you do get yours in.

On the eircom website when i went to the business section and put in my phone number it says i am able to get up to 50mb/s download and 15mb/s upload, i also just learned that my friend down the road just upgraded to efibre today and in the same case as you he is also 600m from the exchange and he is receiving a 45 download 12 upload and 10 ping so this sounds like good news for me and you. Also in the future exchanges will be vectored so customers will be able to get speeds of up to 100mb/s instead of 70mb/s so we could see speeds of around 60mb/s downlaod and 20mb/s upload

On the eircom website when i went to the business section and put in my phone number it says i am able to get up to 50mb/s download and 15mb/s upload, i also just learned that my friend down the road just upgraded to efibre today and in the same case as you he is also 600m from the exchange and he is receiving a 45 download 12 upload and 10 ping so this sounds like good news for me and you. Also in the future exchanges will be vectored so customers will be able to get speeds of up to 100mb/s instead of 70mb/s so we could see speeds of around 60mb/s downlaod and 20mb/s upload

Oh ye good call on the business site. Just tried it myself.

Tells me: Your line is capable of getting Fibre Broadband to give you a maximum download speed of 40Mb and an upload speed of 10Mb.

I'll find out for sure at the end of the month. Was hoping for more than that but at this stage I'd take hand and all! :D

but once vectoring is brought out for exchanges next year you will definitely get 60mb/s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Portlawslim

4574253434.png
    Just had the fibre enabled, It's FTTE and hopefull soon to be upgraded to FTTC

FTTE also.
    4574392935.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

4574253434.png
    Just had the fibre enabled, It's FTTE and hopefull soon to be upgraded to FTTC

Sorry to be pedantic :rolleyes:, but their ain't no such thing as FTTE. What I presume you are referring to is eVDSL (exchange launched VDSL).

If you are getting eFibre from the exchange, then I don't expect they will move your line over to a cabinet. So you will always likely get it from the exchange.

MMFITWGDV wrote: »

If you are getting eFibre from the exchange, then I don't expect they will move your line over to a cabinet. So you will always likely get it from the exchange.

Vodafone/KN connected my mother to the exchange last week, she was connected to the ADSL cab, they have a VDSL cab planned but isn't in place yet but the local exchange is already gone VDSL live so they have said once the cab is in place she will be switched over to that which is practically right beside her so she should get the full whack. At the moment she's getting pretty much what she was getting from ADSL but with a better ping.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,683 ✭✭✭jd

Vodafone/KN connected my mother to the exchange last week, she was connected to the ADSL cab,.
    There is no such thing as an "adsl cab", there are passive copper junction cabs, and she is still connected to it (and thence on to the exchange)

jd wrote: »
    There is no such thing as an "adsl cab"

The main thing is, you knew what I was referring to.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

jd wrote: »
    There is no such thing as an "adsl cab", there are passive copper junction cabs, and she is still connected to it (and thence on to the exchange)

Technically there is, an RSU can be considered such, but thats now what he meant, and they arent super common.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Portlawslim

4074243247.png
    Just thought I'd throw this up here and then do a comparison when I get fibre(hopefully this summer)

To this
    4589950940.png

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mightydrumming

''Your line can currently hold up to 15MB'' - My bo!!ox.

4608217343.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Just changed to Digiweb Fibre from the ADSL, getting about 11.5 Mb/s, which is about twice as fast as it was but was expecting more, given the 'up to 100Mb/s' claim - is there anything I can do to improve things or do I just start asking them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭iMrApex

Recently switched to UPC from Eircom [Shannon]:

UPC:
    4613165338.png

Eircom:
    3840084618.png

iMrApex wrote: »

UPC:
    4613165338.png

Eircom:
    3840084618.png

Wow I thought you switched from UPC to Eircom there for a min. :eek:

Got to love UPC :cool:

Wow I thought you switched from UPC to Eircom there for a min. :eek:

Got to love UPC :cool:

Thought the exact same :)

iMrApex wrote: »

UPC:
    4613165338.png

Eircom:
    3840084618.png

<Mutter>

96/19 to 240/24

<Grumble>

Betcha didn't notice it.

<Harumph>

Wish that I could have that choice - supposed to be 3/1::eek:
    4613236457.png

It's that until:
    (a) we win the Eircom competition.:pac:
    or
    (b) NBP comes knocking on my door in 5 years time.:(

<sob>
    :D

Yeeow :)

4614021646.png

129676634.png

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭gunners111

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4626101525
    31/8/15 22.30
    not well up on this stuff, but is this a very bad result

gunners111 wrote: »
    31/8/15 22.30

It's pretty brutal. I don't know why it chose a German server to test off, as this would make the Ping worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

gunners111 wrote: »
    31/8/15 22.30

Be careful or the midband warrior will get you for posting in the wrong thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭[Steve]

Always nice to be getting more than paying for..

4627185274.png

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

[Steve] wrote: »
    Always nice to be getting more than paying for..

4627185274.png

Shouldn't be a problem at 1:38am....

Advertisement