Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband Speed & Ping Test Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30 baaah

2673763165.png

80464981.png

8Mb eircom line. NGB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

531744879.png

Sky, 12mb line, wireless connection

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭seamus1980

2675435572.png
    80505547.png

This is my results for net1 broadband,bloody terrible

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

screenshot from my iPhone 5 speedtest app (wifi and cellular tests) UPC up to 50Mb, so looks like I get around 40, happy with that. More interesting is the vodafone 3G connection, around 21Mb (have seen up to 27) not bad for 3G, more than some get on their "broadband" (have a 4GB limit on that though).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Lads I have a question....
    I got this speed today from my upc 50mb package.

2679279989.png
    Sky offered a bundle with 6mb/s and told me that is a grand speed and anything more is unnecessary.

Is that the case? Are UPC customers forking out for more that they don't even need?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

2679279989.png
    Sky offered a bundle with 6mb/s and told me that is a grand speed and anything more is unnecessary.

Is that the case? Are UPC customers forking out for more that they don't even need?

It depends on the person tbh. Some people might want to watch tv via UPC and will definitely need more than 6Mbps. Some people might need to work from home and continuously work with downloaded files off some server elsewhere with a lot of content.

Sky will be upgrading this year when Eircom allows the wholesalers to operate their fibre on May 20th. Eircom and Vodafone are offering their customers free upgrades. This is possibly the same case for Sky customers. In some cases you don't even need to be on the wholesalers connection atm. See the picture attached.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

red_bairn wrote: »
    It depends on the person tbh. Some people might want to watch tv via UPC and will definitely need more than 6Mbps. Some people might need to work from home and continuously work with downloaded files off some server elsewhere with a lot of content.

Sky will be upgrading this year when Eircom allows the wholesalers to operate their fibre on May 20th. Eircom and Vodafone are offering their customers free upgrades. This is possibly the same case for Sky customers. In some cases you don't even need to be on the wholesalers connection atm. See the picture attached.

Good to know. Im on a contract with Sky atm if I signed up for fibre with Sky whenever that comes out would that be marked as cancelling the contract? Just curious. Im in Carlow on an LLU exchange so do ye think ill be able to avail of fibre

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭Israeli Superiority

2679279989.png

Yeah, it all depends on what you do on the web. If you're streaming high definition videos, you'll encounter problems. If you're like my mother who just check her emails and pays bills online, 6mb is good. If I lived in the countryside, I'd be happy with 6mb.

Uploading is a big problem if you do upload large files, I can imagine the upload speed for a 6mb connection is between 30kb/s - 50kb/s. My upload speed is 70kb/s and it takes me 4 hours to upload 1GB.

Good to know. Im on a contract with Sky atm if I signed up for fibre with Sky whenever that comes out would that be marked as cancelling the contract? Just curious. Im in Carlow on an LLU exchange so do ye think ill be able to avail of fibre

You'd be best to contact Sky about it but I don't believe you'll be cancelling the contract, you'd have an amended/new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

2679279989.png

Lots of variables. How many devices do you have connected to the internet, how often are they used, how many people in your home using them, how much do you upload, how many big downloads etc.. etc..

For instance, if you want to watch a 1080p Netflix stream, it's 7Mbps. If you try that with a 6Mbps connection you'll either end up with a lower quality video, or else have to wait 30 minutes+ for the video to start playing. With a faster connection, you'd only have to wait a few seconds.

I download a lot of big developer kits, which can be 1GB+, so the difference between waiting 15-20 minutes or 1-2 minutes can be a huge saving. Upload times are crucial too, while some are complaining about UPC's I don't know another mainstream service in Ireland that offers anything like 10Mbps.

I have a PS3, Xbox, AppleTV, TV, iPhone, iPad and 2 Macs all connected to the broadband, all downloading updates at regular intervals, so the quicker they get out of the way, the better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

who_me wrote: »
    Lots of variables. How many devices do you have connected to the internet, how often are they used, how many people in your home using them, how much do you upload, how many big downloads etc.. etc..

For instance, if you want to watch a 1080p Netflix stream, it's 7Mbps. If you try that with a 6Mbps connection you'll either end up with a lower quality video, or else have to wait 30 minutes+ for the video to start playing. With a faster connection, you'd only have to wait a few seconds.

I download a lot of big developer kits, which can be 1GB+, so the difference between waiting 15-20 minutes or 1-2 minutes can be a huge saving. Upload times are crucial too, while some are complaining about UPC's I don't know another mainstream service in Ireland that offers anything like 10Mbps.

I have a PS3, Xbox, AppleTV, TV, iPhone, iPad and 2 Macs all connected to the broadband, all downloading updates at regular intervals, so the quicker they get out of the way, the better.

I get ya, thanks very much.

We currently have two laptops (third on the way), one smart phone (second on the way) and an xbox with netflix so when you put it like that, it's much clearer.

I get ya, thanks very much.

We currently have two laptops (third on the way), one smart phone (second on the way) and an xbox with netflix so when you put it like that, it's much clearer.

It will be a matter of time that most devices in the home will be requiring bandwidth. It'll be like electricity. Even the automated pet feeder. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭boccy23

http://www.speedtest.net/iphone/534153943.png

From my 24MB line.

Should this not be better?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Gosub

Speedtest.jpg

Just to make you Irish internetters feel better... and for this I pay €57 a month! Fircken Telefonica España. :mad:

boccy23 wrote: »

From my 24MB line.

It could possibly be better but nobody would be too sure. It depends where the equipment is or what is blocking it.

From my 24MB line.

You'll need to post your line stats from your router.

Hmm, I thought he had a wireless isp like Digiweb, but forgot it said Eircom. He's also using a mobile device for the speedtest, which is also a bad indicator for the actual speed.

Gosub wrote: »
    Just to make you Irish internetters feel better... and for this I pay €57 a month! Fircken Telefonica España. :mad:

Dunno if that makes the Irish internetters feel better; Ireland ranks #56 (11.10Mbps) on the avg speed net index, where Spain is at #41 (14.70Mbps) maybe you should change provider?
    http://www.netindex.com/download/allcountries/

flyguy wrote: »
    Dunno if that makes the Irish internetters feel better; Ireland ranks #56 (11.10Mbps) on the avg speed net index, where Spain is at #41 (14.70Mbps) maybe you should change provider?
    http://www.netindex.com/download/allcountries/

We're one place ahead of Monaco by .08 Mpbs. Surprising considering the class of people that live there.

I find the countries that are ahead of Ireland more interesting and sometimes surprising...

• Advertisement

Where can I find these?

Where can I find these?

Try this. Your router must be connected to your computer via Ethernet cable for it to work.

The default password for eircom is: broadband1

Bookmark that link for future purposes.

These are what stats look like:

30versj.png

Just copy and paste them to here. No need to take a screenshot like I did.

eircom broadband: Connected
    DSL Mode: ADSL2+ Speed: 12287 kbps /670 kbps Line Attenuation (Down/Up): 30 dB /16 dB DSL Noise Margin: 7 dB /19 dB

eircom broadband: Connected DSL Mode: ADSL2+ Speed: 12287 kbps /670 kbps Line Attenuation (Down/Up): 30 dB /16 dB DSL Noise Margin: 7 dB /19 dB

Your line stats are slightly worse than mine. I actually thought you posted my stats there because they're very similar.

Seeing as we almost have the same connections, you can expect speeds like this:
    2684152042.png

I'm not directly connected to modem. I have a mains network connection in between. Might explain the slightly slower speeds:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2684159290.png

Is there anything I can do to speed this up? I know a direct connection but that's not possible.

I'm not directly connected to modem. I have a mains network connection in between. Might explain the slightly slower speeds:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2684159290.png

Is there anything I can do to speed this up? I know a direct connection but that's not possible.

What's a "mains network connection"?

The only way to speed it up is: a direct Ethernet connection between the router and the computer.

You current connection still downloads at 1 mb/s - that a song in about 5 to 10 seconds, depending on the quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭[Steve]

2692768435.png

yet

zeG0JGk.png

Cannot wait for the cab upgrades to reach here.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Imagine 12mb DSL:

2703169027.png

It never goes below that. Not bad, but no upc or FTTC/H for me unfortunately!

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

2703860577.png

Think I need to switch from Eircom... I only live ~3 miles from Galway city centre as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭prioryc

2714010808.png I'm currently set at 15357/765 100m to the nearest cabinet & few months away from fiber still.

Advertisement