Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Job As: A Trader

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

Hi Idu,

I see that myriad is looking for trainee traders, is this for a whole year ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Idu

Trainee course will be a 3 month internship and then at the end of the 3 months if we feel you have potential you'd be signing up as a trainee. After that it depends on your own progress and profitability etc. There's no set time frame

Idu wrote: »
    Trainee course will be a 3 month internship and then at the end of the 3 months if we feel you have potential you'd be signing up as a trainee. After that it depends on your own progress and profitability etc. There's no set time frame

Hi Idu,

when will these new course start ?

Edit: starts in september.

Thanks Idu

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

I didn't know anything about the markets, beyond a basic understanding, when I started.

Plenty of books can give you a good insight. There's a list of them somewhere on the Investment and Markets forum

• Advertisement

I didn't know anything about the markets, beyond a basic understanding, when I started.

Plenty of books can give you a good insight. There's a list of them somewhere on the Investment and Markets forum

Idu can you talk about those who participated in the first training course.

Where are they now ?

I'd rather not talk specifics but we're happy with how the first class is progressing. It's a long road to becoming a successful, profitable trader and the first class only started 2 months ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Mcoffs1129

Hi Idu,

I have an interview with myriad trading this Friday. I was wondering have you any advice on what questions they may ask me? Thank you very much in advance.

Interview will be very general. It's more of a get to know you thing than a maths test or anything like that. 2nd round interview is slightly different with more maths based questions

• Registered Users Posts: 1 continental9

Hi Idu,
    I would love to work for a prop firm, I from central Europe so the closest to me is Positive Equity (Split). Not sure if I got you right but first 3 months for new people were not paid then if you got accepted to become a trainee you would still need about 6+ months on average to start trading with live account and make some money.
    #1 Are Trainees paid while they're going through this (How much per month approx??) or is it 1st year no payment and later paid by profit?
    #2 You started at Positive Equity, got real good and decided to open your own prop firm so you don't have to split profits you make with the owners :) + other benefits? You used your own money you made to start the prop firm and split it among your traders or other investors got in with you on it?
    #3 I am stock trader, so was there a possibility at Positive Equity to trade stocks or only Futures?
    #4 Is it possible to work for you from home here from central Europe and trade stocks? I can trade on demo for some time to show you the results. Profit is profit, why be limited only to Futures?

Thank you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 greenhoff

Interview will be very general. It's more of a get to know you thing than a maths test or anything like that. 2nd round interview is slightly different with more maths based questions

Hi There,

I am not sure if you are still on this thread, but given your experience in working at a few Dublin Prop Houses wondering if you wouldn't mind giving me some advice!?

I started getting onto trading 2 years ago, when I decided to do something different. I had a previous successful business background in and around banking as a consultant, but had never done any electronic trading of futures trading ever. I had a strong interest so decided to take the plunge and see if I could do it. The learning curve is tough and steep on your own. I would imagine learning this in an institution would have been a lot easier.

I spent a lot of time looking at systems and learning the basics about the market, then doing a lot of testing etc. I do not have a math or programming backround, so some of this was hard at first. It also took a lot of work on myself to stay disciplined and focus on technicals and stats rather than fundamentals and various random ideas away from the system, but I believe a talented discretionary trader who builds his own system and sticks to it will do better than most automated systems. The most difficult thing for a retail trader or someone trying to develop this coming from a different background is learning to think in probabilities and accepting the randomness of it all

My system works across all time frames, but to build up some income I will be focusing on shorter time frames. I look at 1-3 trades a day across all asset classes.1) Commodities, mostly energy 2) Currencies 3) Equity Indices and some Fixed Income It is a pattern recognition system looking at supply and demand imbalances with odds enhancers/context rules!
    I have spent the last 3 months full time trading simulation with the records audited through TradeStation and reconciled with my own spreadsheets where I manually input the trades and produce data. It tracks everything from strategy, timeframe, entry, trading period, equity curve, expectancy and a lot more.. Over the last 3 months for example I have been very dilligent in this as I am close to getting funding with investors.

65 Trading days almost 100 trades using various timeframes, but mostly shorter time frames, with entries taken off a 5/15 and 60 min chart. Trading in multiples of 3 to scale out with one exit for stops. I customised the account to 30K starting capital and stayed with 3 lots per product and within the margin throughout the sample.

Results over that period are 273% ROI. 13 weeks>no negative weeks. 50 days profitable with 9 negative days with 6 B/E days.. The expectancy is high, but I do not have much comparison as I do not know many traders.

Over the next couple of months I will be looking to trade live with investor money, but I would really prefer to work for someone and get a quicker learning curve regarding execution and some other strategies. I came into this late and I am 40 so would any prop houses consider someone like me or would I have to show years of live results?

Any thoughts on this, or any advice on the above figures would be helpful

Thanks

Advertisement