Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

From Pad to Stick

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Ry

I'm on my 4th day with stick and I'm enjoying it a lot actually. I'm throwing out a lot of unwanted moves and missing some too but I know that'll come with practice.

My problem though is left to right ultras with Ryu because I just can't do 2 quarter circle motions fast when facing right. It's driving me nuts. Whatever way I'm holding it I just can't seem to cleanly execute the 2 movements with my left hand.

Any tips on good method of holding the stick to do this? I'm right handed so it's my bad hand inputing the directional commands.

Ry

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Go into practice mode and try it really, really slowly.

Find the slowest speed you can do it at. Slowly increase from there.

Get used to hitting all the inputs (are you dragon punching instead?)

Try and do it in game as much as possible in casuals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Ry

Go into practice mode and try it really, really slowly.

Find the slowest speed you can do it at. Slowly increase from there.

Get used to hitting all the inputs (are you dragon punching instead?)

Try and do it in game as much as possible in casuals.

To be honest I usually hado or if I've the guage ex hado which is something but not the ultra I want exactly when I need it ye know.

Ry

• Advertisement

Ry wrote: »
    To be honest I usually hado or if I've the guage ex hado which is something but not the ultra I want exactly when I need it ye know.

Ry

that means you need to work on your execution, only 1 of the fireballs is complete.

Seriously try what I said above, start with ridiculously slow and work your way up. You need to make sure you're hitting every point.

Also, that video missed out my style. Not even sure if it has a name.It's like a 2 fingered grip of Doom.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Red350

Cunny-Funt wrote: »
    Question. I'm currently using the japanese style layout (white buttons only) Any reason to stick with that or maybe switch to american style?

Fun fact: Daigo used the american style at seasons beatings.

You wanna be like daigo right? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 18,704 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Japanese style (Taito Vewlix) is curved as this should suit the shape of the hand better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Red350 wrote: »
    You wanna be like daigo right? :P

I dunno I mean Daigo seems like a bit of an arsehole.

Last time I was talkin' to him he was all "Getcha red nosed, red bearded, potato eatin - alcoholic Irish ass out ma FACE beeeeeeeee aatch" and all I did was ask him what the weather was like in Japan. When I was talking to him about button layouts he was like "Muthafuka I'm the BEAST yo , I use what eva muthafukin buttons I FEEL like, Shhhhllt I dun even needs no button, I rape yo shlt with just a stick cuz I'm the BEAST yo, the fukin BEAST. I'm out this bitch" and then he FADCed me into an ultra and went on his way.

& we wernt even playing anything.

I dunno those Japanese are high strung.

Amazing what jetlag does to people, eh?

• Advertisement

God damn the stick has already improved my game a bit. My chun li game that is :p

I still hit a wall with shotos but being able to so easily combo from 2 low shorts into ex legs to ultra is like a breath of fresh air with her. Also I can now pretty much do her ultra on reaction. Which I just couldn't do on the pad at all. Still a bit off with the ex SBK or any down to up flash kick motions.

My fingers still get confused when I try to play as a shoto, I mean I'd be getting stuff in training mode, but if I'm in an actual fight, where things are intense and you don't have time to have to concentrate on inputs I start throwing out c.HP's instead of a sweep and stuff.

& I'm also having issues with qcf x2 from the P1 side side.

Gonna work on cammy soon.

I'm looking forward to when muscle memory sets in, so my hands can do the 'thinking' in regards to inputs and my brain can concentrate on the fight :p

I have to say though, theres something about playing with a stick, its.. some how more fun.. but theres something else though.. I can't put my finger on it yet, but its like it kinda forces you to play smarter. More later anyway.

I have to say though, theres something about playing with a stick, its.. some how more fun.. but theres something else though.. I can't put my finger on it yet, but its like it kinda forces you to play smarter. More later anyway.

that'd probably be the spring. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

After all my talk about dive kicks I actually managed to pull them off pretty easy yesterday on Terry's stick. Might invest in a octo/circle gate and see if that makes any difference.

that'd probably be the spring. :)

Its probably the fact that its killed by ability to rush down since I'm not fast enough on it yet thus finally squashed my old 3s habits..:rolleyes: we'll see :p
    Jim wrote: »
    After all my talk about dive kicks I actually managed to pull them off pretty easy yesterday on Terry's stick. Might invest in a octo/circle gate and see if that makes any difference.

You're saying you can't do cannon strikes with your SE? I reckon thats just how your holding it maybe? I don't have a problem doing that at all, in fact I can kinda do it off the ground now with the stick but not loads in a row. My main problem with cammy (I've only tested it with her for a few mins) is just her B&B stuff, I can't do HP>cannon strike at all, and mp cannon strike is do-able but it takes so much effort.

Once again button layout I guess.

At 5:07 in this vid on the screen on the right, on a pad I could do everything but the first part (the low cannon strike) now with a stick I can do that but have issues following up with the rest. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

So I've decided to ditch the pad altogether and go fully stick. Played a few matches tonight and I have to say I'm alot better with the stick than I remember. Still not as good as with the pad ofc but for some reason the stick feels alot more accessible than it did the last time I used it.

Hopefully this wasn't just a once off!

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭BanjoB

Hey guys.
    I've been on a stick a whole 7 months now and I have to say it's a SLOW process gettin decent with it. Be persistant and definately ditch the pad altogether (even after that 15 in a row losing streak!!!!) we've all had em, right....................right????.. :) .
    I'm a chun player and I recently got an octo gate to help improve my shoto game and it really does make a difference.feels far more natural rolling out those quarter circles. Turns out it really helps my stomping with chun too. Could never find , down , on the square gate..any body else have that problem with her..
    Any way. Keep up with the sticks lads. I'm very happy I did!!!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Ye i find it hard to do stomps with on the stick. Its piss easy to do on the pad, i used to like stomping people on wake up but rarely do it now cos i mess it up sometimes.

I never played with chun on pad. Charge character = sore thumbs for me on pad!!!. I think ur on my friendlist bush???. My tag is araforn. Should def have some mirror matches some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

The TE has a square gate right? whats the best octo stick out there by the way?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

No sticks come with octogates afaik, they're for people who grew up with them in arcades, or can't get to grips with doing qc motions on square gates. Imo though anyone can easily learn perfect qcf motions on square gate, just takes not dragging the stick along the gate itself - all an octo does is restrict your ability to do this. They're a crutch for people who haven't learned how to do motions properly imo. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I see. So you can add a restrive octo frame to any stick then? If no sticks come with them surely thats the only way......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Kirby wrote: »
    I see. So you can add a restrive octo frame to any stick then? If no sticks come with them surely thats the only way......

Any of the sticks out there are moddable will take an octogate.

A square gate initially will feel funny to a player coming from a pad and especially one who's using an analogue stick on a pad.

An octocgate gives no advantage to a shoto / quarter circle player really. It's just a case of getting use to it.

Certainly for me the octo gate helped my shoto game but maybe that's becos I didn't give the square enough time on the shotos. Found it hard to get ultras out particularly. Tbh though I'm more happy with it helping me stomp consistently with chun.

I will be going for octo. When I play SF4 at home I'm on this stick 90% of the time. The brief moments I had a shot of Terrys ocoto fightstick had me really liking the gate, I was even better with guile on it then I am on my one.

Anyway to update my progress:

My issues at the moment are eating jump ins a lot thinking I'm blocking when I'm not, or being too slow with an srk.

And dealing with cross overs. I can block the initial hit but if he goes from that to a low hit into the rest of his combo, for some reason I'm not able to block the low hit fast enough so I still eat the whole combo. Played a guy that picked up on this weakness pretty early and totally took advantage of it.

My block string/combo ability is still pretty weak however I'm finding the buttons are getting a little...iffy... after using peoples fight sticks now I can really see the difference in parts.

So I really look forward to modding mine.

Next time people are up for a group order online for parts, I'll want in! :cool:

Overall I'm getting better but slowly. Still only really using the shotos and chun li however. I miss being able to just pick any character on pad and pretty much play them, can't on stick atm.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

4 gate for the win. I love the slide over the corner :)

Cunny I have a spare octo I can give you if you'd like, I prefer the square gate so it's of no use to me. I'll bring it to the meet up on the 2nd.

Interesting! Nice one! What make/type is it? How much? Also what colour is it?

Hmmm actually does anyone have any spare buttons I could buy off 'em?

I do plan to fully customise my stick though, colour scheme I mean so I'll probably eventually buy more but having better parts in there for now should help with the learning process I assume.

I'm sure I've got some Sanwa buttons & sticks out back...

**pictures this magical shed out kiki's back garden where at a push of a button turns into this massive matrix like shelving room with thousands of arcade stick parts glistening in the bright light**:eek:

• Advertisement

Interesting! Nice one! What make/type is it? How much? Also what colour is it?

http://www.gremlinsolutions.co.uk/products/sanwa-gt-y.htm

Sure you can just have it, like I said it's of no use to me whatsoever :P

Advertisement