Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayor of Limerick wants deportation of EU-nationals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Burial

Niamh_ wrote: »
    I am also of the view that foreigners should not be deported but you are burying our argument by making mainly untrue arguments about Irish students.
    It's the same as with foreigners, all students are painted with the same brush!

Well I was really answering those that think non-English speaking foreigners are taking all the nice students jobs. It's unfair to brand all students as I did, as it's unfair to blame foreigners for a students lack of employment. However, why are these foreigners successfully gaining employment over students?! (I disagree with saying foreigners taking jobs over Irish students because it assumes students deserve to have a job. Like it's some sort of right)

I worked in Dunnes Stores for about a year before I had to leave to go on work experience for college. I was more impressed with the foreigners that worked there than their Irish counter-parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Burial wrote: »
    Well I was really answering those that think non-English speaking foreigners are taking all the nice students jobs. It's unfair to brand all students as I did, as it's unfair to blame foreigners for a students lack of employment. However, why are these foreigners successfully gaining employment over students?! (I disagree with saying foreigners taking jobs over Irish students because it assumes students deserve to have a job. Like it's some sort of right)

I worked in Dunnes Stores for about a year before I had to leave to go on work experience for college. I was more impressed with the foreigners that worked there than their Irish counter-parts.

The foreigners are less likely to stand up to whatever ****e tasks they get put doing and employers know this (seen it in dell/tesco wherever i worked as teenager and early twenties)

I really dont think you know anything about irish students, when I was working in tesco everyone worked hard cos we had to or else we were fired and so what if we came in hungover at least we were able to speak english and at least be friendly to customers. Maybe its just their culture in Eastern Europe but a lot of them are rude and arrogant.

Seen many case of this including on airplanes where its so simple to just say please and thank you but obviously this rule doesnt apply to foreigners!!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

The foreigners are less likely to stand up to whatever ****e tasks they get put doing and employers know this (seen it in dell/tesco wherever i worked as teenager and early twenties)

I really dont think you know anything about irish students, when I was working in tesco everyone worked hard cos we had to or else we were fired and so what if we came in hungover at least we were able to speak english and at least be friendly to customers. Maybe its just their culture in Eastern Europe but a lot of them are rude and arrogant.

Seen many case of this including on airplanes where its so simple to just say please and thank you but obviously this rule doesnt apply to foreigners!!

In Fairness there are plenty of places in Limerick where being friendly/polite to customers and not being rude does not seem to apply to Irish workers either.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Feckin students, should all be deported IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

zuroph wrote: »

Deported where, back to our home countries??? Studentia maybe? :rolleyes:

Some valid points raised there (without putting students in the mix) -
    If non-Irish workers, some of who can't speak much English, are easily able to get jobs ahead of Irish workers, what does that say about Irish workers? It's not like these non-Irish workers are getting pushed out by refusing lower wages, most of the service industry is operating at Minimum Wage levels.

While I do sometimes get annoyed when I can't communicate with foreign staff in shops, I don't think that an Irish person should be working that job because 1 - they're Irish or 2 - they can't speak good English. There are plenty of Irish workers who couldn't give a fcuk either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭b12mearse

i dont think its a case of who is the better worker, the student or the foreigner. I think its more valuable to have a student in employment than having a foreign national.

I do think foreign nationals have taken job opportunities from students. Alot of people I know lost jobs because there employers preferred to employ full time foreign workers than part-time workers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

we could deport them to eastern europe in a foreigner exchange program:D

keep the foriegners and deport the leaching students:D

Paulegend wrote: »
    we could deport them to eastern europe in a foreigner exchange program:D

keep the foriegners and deport the leaching students:D

i know students can be unsufferable but i think it would be better to stop re-newing visas for foreign workers and deport any nationals who havent found emploment in the last three months.

b12mearse wrote: »
    i know students can be unsufferable but i think it would be better to stop re-newing visas for foreign workers and deport any nationals who havent found emploment in the last three months.

well 3 months would be harsh considering the job market right now. considering alot have worked here for years and are def entitled to social welfare. fair enough if they have never worked here they should be deported or else not given state help. at the end of the day if you come here to leach you shouldnt be rewarded.

but im not saying all foreigners are leaching. alot of whom are my mates have worked alot more hours a week than some irish will ever work

well 3 months would be harsh considering the job market right now. considering alot have worked here for years and are def entitled to social welfare. fair enough if they have never worked here they should be deported or else not given state help. at the end of the day if you come here to leach you shouldnt be rewarded.

but im not saying all foreigners are leaching. alot of whom are my mates have worked alot more hours a week than some irish will ever work

its not the point! the less foreigners in the country the more jobs that will be freed up for irish people on the doel. Its not like 'we are all in this together'.
    we shouldnt have to carry the burden these people are having on the economy.
    Its hard having to watch your own friends and family leaving the country because there own government back home has failed them and given foreigners priority over them both in welfare and employment!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Lirael

I have read all this thread and I get an impression that it is really going nowhere

the Irish SW system is insufficient and really has loopholes but not in the matter of entitlements that are due to people who have paid sufficient PRSI and that's under common EU law and you really cannot do anything about it

I think the only solution is to thighted it by more strict check ups for frauds as it is in for example with child benefit - all foreigners are sent a cert every 3 months to sign wheter they still stay in the state and work

this shall be done same for those on the dole - I mean check ups if they still live there

secondly - really - Ireland is in the mess because there are way much more Irish citizens than foreigners sitting on the dole for decades and they do not even pretend that they are seeking employment and these shall be banned first

I think that cutting newly graduates who stay at home with parents was a good move

also lone mothers shall not be so generously treated by the country - why do they get all these benefits and a house because just they happen to have a kid and never worked???? maybe I am wrong but somewhere I read she is getting ca 2000 euro monthly directly/indirectly from the state .... but why??

and as for Limerick Mayor - well he is a dumb for me ...

its not the point! the less foreigners in the country the more jobs that will be freed up for irish people on the doel. Its not like 'we are all in this together'.
    Its hard having to watch your own friends and family leaving the country because there own government back home has failed them and given foreigners priority over them both in welfare and employment!

that is simply untrue

when there was a boom Irish people still didn't want to take some jobs or even didn't try to get any

foreigners weren't given priority over nationals but simply sometimes they are way better and less lazy

and if I were an employer - nationality wouldn't matter to me if I had to choose between Irish and foreign employee I would chose a better one

Lirael wrote: »
    that is simply untrue

when there was a boom Irish people still didn't want to take some jobs or even didn't try to get any

foreigners weren't given priority over nationals but simply sometimes they are way better and less lazy

and if I were an employer - nationality wouldn't matter to me if I had to choose between Irish and foreign employee I would chose a better one

think again. the doel has doubled since the boom. I think there are 200,000 people out there who would be less 'Lazy' than the average Irish doel scrounger and as 'good' as good as a foreign worker.

you have a very poor attitude of Irish people. try an give better exampls the next time.

think again. the doel has doubled since the boom. I think there are 200,000 people out there who would be less 'Lazy' than the average Irish doel scrounger and as 'good' as good as a foreign worker.

you have a very poor attitude of Irish people. try an give better exampls the next time.

it has nothing with my attitude towards Irish ...

I have only reffered to the amount of Irish dolers who are sitting on it for decades and have been even though there was a lot of work before downturn ...

and btw I have the same attitude of people in other countries who act the same

and do really give me an example of a prority given to foreigners ... I do not see any, they have to compete on the labour market as any other

so lets get back to the other point. if every single person in the whole world moved back to their own countries...............................

would we still have enough jobs to go around.

or is it that only non irish people that should go back to their countries????

• Registered Users Posts: 23,748 ✭✭✭✭phog

The Irish government dont give priority to anyone with regards to employment or welfare, you meet the requirements or you dont, simple as that.

what i picked up from your last post was that irish people on the doel were lazy and foreigners were hard workers and better workers than Irish people.

so lets get back to the other point. if every single person in the whole world moved back to their own countries...............................

would we still have enough jobs to go around.

or is it that only non irish people that should go back to their countries????

we are talking about IRELAND. what makes you think i give a dam about the rest of the world?

we are talking about IRELAND. what makes you think i give a dam about the rest of the world?

i am talking about ireland

if we are sending the foreigners home why wouldnt foreign countries send the irish home

what makes you think the rest of the world give a dam about us

its DOLE.

• Advertisement

its DOLE.

well my point is that its not just the DOLE(people that are finished or never had stamps)

im saying what about people claiming their stamps. should they be branded with the same brush?

i dont agree with irish people who have never worked a day in their lives that are taking our tax.

so i really dont agree with people from any other country just taking money from social welfare with having no intention of ever working(over the counter)

i just think if we start saying stuff like "get rid of the foreigners" then we are going down a very dangerous road.

I was correcting b12s spelling Paul. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

I think its more valuable to have a student in employment than having a foreign national.

Why?
    Alot of people I know lost jobs because there employers preferred to employ full time foreign workers than part-time workers.

Well, what does that say to you about Irish workers? They're hardly hiring employees who are worse at their jobs.

concussion wrote: »
    Why?

Well, what does that say to you about Irish workers? They're hardly hiring employees who are worse at their jobs.
    maybe its because the wimmens are hotter..

oops:D hate when that happens sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

if you are going to be pedantic about other people's posts, try to include apostophies in your own.

if you are going to be pedantic about other people's posts, try to include apostophies in your own.
    And capital letters at the start of sentences i presume? ;)

off topic much????:cool: lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

The self depreciation on this thread is saddening. From most of the comments so far it seems that most of you seem to

-have a rather poor opinion of Irish people in general.

-be of the idea that all immigrants are better than us.

This generalising, stereotypical crap does this country no favours. There are plenty of decent, hard working Irish people in this country. There's also plenty of Irish people on the dole who are not "scroungers". They are actually trying their best to look for work despite the current climate. For God's sake have some pride and morale. Don't generalise most Irish people from the actions of a minority of wasters and spongers. If we continue to have low morale in ourselves we'll never get out of the ****e situation we're in.

• Advertisement

The self depreciation on this thread is saddening. From most of the comments so far it seems that most of you seem to

-have a rather poor opinion of Irish people in general.

-be of the idea that all immigrants are better than us.

This generalising, stereotypical crap does this country no favours. There are plenty of decent, hard working Irish people in this country. There's also plenty of Irish people on the dole who are not "scroungers". They are actually trying their best to look for work despite the current climate. For God's sake have some pride and morale. Don't generalise most Irish people from the actions of a minority of wasters and spongers. If we continue to have low morale in ourselves we'll never get out of the ****e situation we're in.

thank god somebody that actually is clever. maybe they are also clever enough to figure out that you can say the exact same thing about foreigners in this country

Advertisement