Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Formula one car on ebay

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Wossack

231 outta an evo? :o

it on a rolling road?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

smooch71 wrote: »
    Hey!
    I see there's an F1 car for sale on ebay. Anyone else see that?

belongs in the skangermobile thread tbh, you see the size of the "wing" on it? and all those stickers :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    I've been to car shows, where a mitsubishi lancer 10(X), and driven by ken block.
    top speed at the time was 231mph.

the F1 car lewis won with went 220mph.

OK, before the train wreck gets any worse, here's a few pointers.

There are a few faster cars flat out than an F1 car. You also need to consider the gearbox and downforce settings of the F1 car. They change depending on the circuit they're on. Different gear ratios and high downforce could result in an F1 car bearly breaking 200mph, but low downforce and longer ratios could see it easily topping 230mph or more, although there isn't any circuit with a straight long enough for those kind of speeds, so probably 220 is around the max they'll ever get to on any circuit, and no team wants to bother taking an F1 car to a 5 mile straight just to see what they can to on a top speed run. Pointless excercise.
    Having said all that, no standard Evo can get anywhere near 200mph, and even a heavily modified one would struggle at that speed because of aerodynamics. So I'd say it's more likely that you saw Ken Block at 231 kph rather than mph. Ken does stunts in rally cars, and sometimes rally cross cars. A rally spec Evo 10 would easily beat a road going Evo 10, on the same circuit with Ken at the wheel of both, but the road version over here could top 145mph or more, where as the rally spec one would bearly break 120mph. That's because of optimum gearing for a rally stage requires short ratios for maximum acceleration.
    So sweeping statements like "Evo 10's can hammer F1 cars" and other such fluff are only silly. We're all petrol heads in here, we all know top speed doesn't necessarily equal fastest car on a given circuit.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,479 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

F1 car top speed (2004) 229 MPH

Evo: limited to 155 MPH

QED

busman wrote: »
    Bah! I remember back in the day when Renault introduced the RS01 that could get >500bhp from only 1.5L
    Changed F1 in a flash!
    The pinnacle was probably the BMW M12 engine that could get >1000bhp out of a 1.5L 4 cylinder engine! (Not for very long though!)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_M12

F1 went download when they banded turbos in '89
    Up to then is was all about the power baby ;-)

Actually I think one of the Renault turbo engines topped out a dyno which could measure up to 1400bhp at one point, but they couldn't race with the engine at that level. I think they used have qualifying engines and race engines, with the qualifying ones boosted a lot higher. Fun times back then!
    Times when there was 6cyl turbo engines and 12cyl non-turbo engines on the same track at the same time!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

I've been to car shows, where a mitsubishi lancer 10(X), and driven by ken block.
    top speed at the time was 231mph.

the F1 car lewis won with went 220mph.

My shíte can an Evo X reach 231mph.
    400hp?

I can't find any proof for that top speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

And Ken Block is a contracted Scooby driver. Like hell he'd be seen in an EVO - wouldn't be employed for much longer if he was.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

I wonder how much this is going to sell for? I've no idea how much this could be worth, but I would've thought that €2.6m is a hellavalot dosh for it already?

Wouldn't it be more suitable in the Benetton / Ford museum maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

T-Maxx wrote: »
    Wouldn't it be more suitable in the Renault museum maybe?

I think it would be much more suited to being driven on racing tracks around the world.

Is the BOSS series still going?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭smooch71

I wonder how much this is going to sell for? I've no idea how much this could be worth, but I would've thought that €2.6m is a hellavalot dosh for it already?

Wouldn't it be more suitable in the Renault museum maybe?

It's not a Renault.

It's a 1994 Benneton Ford

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

I stand corrected. I've been watching the Schumacher/Hill incident on youtube a few times prior and must've gotten mixed up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

I stand corrected. I've been watching the Schumacher/Hill incident on youtube a few times prior and must've gotten mixed up.

Try getting mixed up between kph and mph and see how stupid you end up looking.

Loooooooooool.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭smooch71

Well it was the car involved in one of the incidents. Adelaide.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

seems a bit pricey is you ask me when you could have this for a hell of a lot less

http://www.race-cars.com/carsales/ferrari/1253645806/1253645806ss.htm

Try getting mixed up between kph and mph and see how stupid you end up looking.

Loooooooooool.

Just as I suspected!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Oh dear, how tragic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

You can pickup an older genuine F1 car for little money..............
    .....running it is another thing. That would be a fun F1 car to drive though. Fast and loose!

In top speed duel, you can't compare a rally car to an F1 car. F1 with the right wing config can pull 250MPH handy enough. Rally car on the other hand would maybe top out at 160. Its got a lot more drag and less than half the power of an F1 car.

/edit just read DOC09UNAM's post......Whoops!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,293 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

You can pickup an older genuine F1 car for little money..............
    .....running it is another thing.

Wherre can you pick up F1 cars for little money? and what is 'little money'?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Iron Hide

Little money not being 2,5 million...

http://www.f1-sales.com/fa17.htm

there we go, bout the price of a new VW Golf i think

• Registered Users Posts: 23,293 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

They are only rolling chassis. A long way from actually being a F1 car. I know most of the 'F1 experience trackday' people swap out the very complex original F1 engines etc to make the cars more durable with a reduction in power.
    I cannot see a running F1 car being bought for even multiples of the figures shown there.

Edit: Just checked the rest of the ads, running cars going for 40 to 50k, not bad at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭DJ Hafez

Why is it out parked on gravel? Can't imagine thats the best place for an F1 Car! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Iron Hide

Jus check the stock list of that F1sales site, couple cars listed as ready to run for less than 50k

Advertisement