Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Formula one car on ebay

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

kbannon wrote: »
    ...can you please show us proof that the MP4-23 is slower than an Evo and I presume the show that you saw was indoors so maybe use realistic evidence?

I'm not asking you to believe me, i honestly don't care, if you'd like to look it up for yourself, i don't mind, but im not wasting my time because someone is being cynical, just ignore it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭smooch71

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    Yeah i forgot road cars don't go faster than F1 cars.

I forgot the gumpert and bugatti beyron don't exist, oh, and neither does the SSC ultimate Aero.

i humbly apologise, because you perceive yourself to be older than me, you must be smarter than me, age is everything in fact!

Facts are everything in fact.

To say something is "faster" is a a sweeping statement.

A harrier jet may be "faster" than a Toyota Corolla, but the Corolla could lap Silverstone quicker.

So you see, an Evo x might be able to reach 230+ mph, by the time it got to that speed, the F1 car would have disappeared around the first corner.

Need to keeps things relevant when making comparisons like that.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,296 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I'm not asking you to believe me, i honestly don't care, if you'd like to look it up for yourself, i don't mind, but im not wasting my time because someone is being cynical, just ignore it.
    No. You hijacked this thread with a claim that the MP4-23 is slower than an Evo.
    You eventually clarified that this was at a show (presumably indoors) where presumably the Mclaren was restricted by space.
    Telling me to go off and find a source for you claim because it would be wasting your time just reassures my view of it all!

smooch71 wrote: »
    Facts are everything in fact.

To say something is "faster" is a a sweeping statement.

A harrier jet may be "faster" than a Toyota Corolla, but the Corolla could lap Silverstone quicker.

So you see, an Evo x might be able to reach 230+ mph, by the time it got to that speed, the F1 car would have disappeared around the first corner.

Need to keeps things relevant when making comparisons like that.

Pretty sure the first post i made stated that i've seen a faster lancer, but the handling, acceleration pure insaneness of the F1 car would be better??

Wasn't putting them in the same league performance wise, i'm just saying, they can do the same speeds.

Hey!

I see there's an F1 car for sale on ebay. Anyone else see that?

Anybody want to jump in before the thread's locked?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,296 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Pretty sure the first post i made stated that i've seen a faster lancer, but the handling, acceleration pure insaneness of the F1 car would be better??

Wasn't putting them in the same league performance wise, i'm just saying, they can do the same speeds.
    erm you said...
    the mclaren that lewis hamilton won the F1 championship with is slower than a mitsubishi lancer evo 10.

Buuuuuuuuuut, the traction, acceleration, and just insane-ness of it would be worth it.
    you said that the F1 is slower!

Hey!

Anybody want to jump in before the thread's lock?

Yeaaaaaaah, apparently michael schumacher used to drive it, maybe even won a world championship in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

In a straight race over any track that allows an Evo to hit 230+MPH, an F1 car could be set up (just like the EVO is) to exceed 240mph (aero changes, gear ratio changes) and still have more mechanical grip than the EVO.

The only place I can think the EVO would conceivably be faster than any F1 car is an off road rally track.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 306 ✭✭busman

Not even that.

They're only 2.4l now.

Bah! I remember back in the day when Renault introduced the RS01 that could get >500bhp from only 1.5L
    Changed F1 in a flash!
    The pinnacle was probably the BMW M12 engine that could get >1000bhp out of a 1.5L 4 cylinder engine! (Not for very long though!)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_M12

F1 went download when they banded turbos in '89
    Up to then is was all about the power baby ;-)

• Advertisement

R.O.R wrote: »
    In a straight race over any track that allows an Evo to hit 230+MPH, an F1 car could be set up (just like the EVO is) to exceed 240mph (aero changes, gear ratio changes) and still have more mechanical grip than the EVO.

The only place I can think the EVO would conceivably be faster than any F1 car is an off road rally track.

Fair enough! They are quite awesome cars though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

231 outta an evo? :o

it on a rolling road?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

Hey!

belongs in the skangermobile thread tbh, you see the size of the "wing" on it? and all those stickers :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

I've been to car shows, where a mitsubishi lancer 10(X), and driven by ken block.
    top speed at the time was 231mph.

the F1 car lewis won with went 220mph.

OK, before the train wreck gets any worse, here's a few pointers.

There are a few faster cars flat out than an F1 car. You also need to consider the gearbox and downforce settings of the F1 car. They change depending on the circuit they're on. Different gear ratios and high downforce could result in an F1 car bearly breaking 200mph, but low downforce and longer ratios could see it easily topping 230mph or more, although there isn't any circuit with a straight long enough for those kind of speeds, so probably 220 is around the max they'll ever get to on any circuit, and no team wants to bother taking an F1 car to a 5 mile straight just to see what they can to on a top speed run. Pointless excercise.
    Having said all that, no standard Evo can get anywhere near 200mph, and even a heavily modified one would struggle at that speed because of aerodynamics. So I'd say it's more likely that you saw Ken Block at 231 kph rather than mph. Ken does stunts in rally cars, and sometimes rally cross cars. A rally spec Evo 10 would easily beat a road going Evo 10, on the same circuit with Ken at the wheel of both, but the road version over here could top 145mph or more, where as the rally spec one would bearly break 120mph. That's because of optimum gearing for a rally stage requires short ratios for maximum acceleration.
    So sweeping statements like "Evo 10's can hammer F1 cars" and other such fluff are only silly. We're all petrol heads in here, we all know top speed doesn't necessarily equal fastest car on a given circuit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

F1 car top speed (2004) 229 MPH

Evo: limited to 155 MPH

QED

busman wrote: »
    Bah! I remember back in the day when Renault introduced the RS01 that could get >500bhp from only 1.5L
    Changed F1 in a flash!
    The pinnacle was probably the BMW M12 engine that could get >1000bhp out of a 1.5L 4 cylinder engine! (Not for very long though!)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_M12

F1 went download when they banded turbos in '89
    Up to then is was all about the power baby ;-)

Actually I think one of the Renault turbo engines topped out a dyno which could measure up to 1400bhp at one point, but they couldn't race with the engine at that level. I think they used have qualifying engines and race engines, with the qualifying ones boosted a lot higher. Fun times back then!
    Times when there was 6cyl turbo engines and 12cyl non-turbo engines on the same track at the same time!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

I've been to car shows, where a mitsubishi lancer 10(X), and driven by ken block.
    top speed at the time was 231mph.

the F1 car lewis won with went 220mph.

My shíte can an Evo X reach 231mph.
    400hp?

I can't find any proof for that top speed.

And Ken Block is a contracted Scooby driver. Like hell he'd be seen in an EVO - wouldn't be employed for much longer if he was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,155 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

I wonder how much this is going to sell for? I've no idea how much this could be worth, but I would've thought that €2.6m is a hellavalot dosh for it already?

Wouldn't it be more suitable in the Benetton / Ford museum maybe?

T-Maxx wrote: »
    Wouldn't it be more suitable in the Renault museum maybe?

I think it would be much more suited to being driven on racing tracks around the world.

Is the BOSS series still going?

I wonder how much this is going to sell for? I've no idea how much this could be worth, but I would've thought that €2.6m is a hellavalot dosh for it already?

Wouldn't it be more suitable in the Renault museum maybe?

It's not a Renault.

It's a 1994 Benneton Ford

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,155 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

I stand corrected. I've been watching the Schumacher/Hill incident on youtube a few times prior and must've gotten mixed up.

I stand corrected. I've been watching the Schumacher/Hill incident on youtube a few times prior and must've gotten mixed up.

Try getting mixed up between kph and mph and see how stupid you end up looking.

Loooooooooool.

Well it was the car involved in one of the incidents. Adelaide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

seems a bit pricey is you ask me when you could have this for a hell of a lot less

http://www.race-cars.com/carsales/ferrari/1253645806/1253645806ss.htm

Try getting mixed up between kph and mph and see how stupid you end up looking.

Loooooooooool.

Just as I suspected!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Oh dear, how tragic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

You can pickup an older genuine F1 car for little money..............
    .....running it is another thing. That would be a fun F1 car to drive though. Fast and loose!

In top speed duel, you can't compare a rally car to an F1 car. F1 with the right wing config can pull 250MPH handy enough. Rally car on the other hand would maybe top out at 160. Its got a lot more drag and less than half the power of an F1 car.

/edit just read DOC09UNAM's post......Whoops!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,462 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

You can pickup an older genuine F1 car for little money..............
    .....running it is another thing.

Wherre can you pick up F1 cars for little money? and what is 'little money'?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Iron Hide

Little money not being 2,5 million...

http://www.f1-sales.com/fa17.htm

there we go, bout the price of a new VW Golf i think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,462 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

They are only rolling chassis. A long way from actually being a F1 car. I know most of the 'F1 experience trackday' people swap out the very complex original F1 engines etc to make the cars more durable with a reduction in power.
    I cannot see a running F1 car being bought for even multiples of the figures shown there.

Edit: Just checked the rest of the ads, running cars going for 40 to 50k, not bad at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭DJ Hafez

Why is it out parked on gravel? Can't imagine thats the best place for an F1 Car! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Iron Hide

Jus check the stock list of that F1sales site, couple cars listed as ready to run for less than 50k

Advertisement