Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Samsung American Fridge Freezer Problems

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

I had the engineer out to mine 3 times and then they had to give me a brand new fridge as I threatened legal action..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Have a Samsung RSH1NBRS purchased in 2008 with the same problem -noisy fan to start then fridge icing up with temp stuck at 16C - everything in the fridge was ruined when I got home from work yesterday

I checked here http://www.samsung.com/ie/homevisit/ but my model number was apparently not covered by the extended warranty & free home visit

I rang Samsung earlier this morning on 0818717100, mentioned 'known design flaw', BBC Watchdog etc and they agreed to send an engineer FOC to fix the fridge as a 'goodwill gesture'

Will update .....

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭seaniefr

Lumi wrote: »
    Have a Samsung RSH1NBRS purchased in 2008 with the same problem -noisy fan to start then fridge icing up with temp stuck at 16C - everything in the fridge was ruined when I got home from work yesterday

I checked here http://www.samsung.com/ie/homevisit/ but my model number was apparently not covered by the extended warranty & free home visit

I rang Samsung earlier this morning on 0818717100, mentioned 'known design flaw', BBC Watchdog etc and they agreed to send an engineer FOC to fix the fridge as a 'goodwill gesture'

Will update .....
    I got them out eventually after composing a stinker of an email and they sent out their service agents to look at it after which i was told that the compressor needed re-gassing which basically means it is f***ed as they apparently are not successful after it and the fridge is just over 5 years old from date of purchase. My fridge was going up over temperature but was not icing up as far as i know the compressor was really just running noisy.
    will update if i hear anything back. If you are not getting any joy out of SamDung you could do worse than give those guys a shout from talking to their service dept they seemed to be ok. PM me if you want the number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Lumi wrote: »

Will update .....

A Samsung engineer repaired the fridge FOC on Friday morning, less than 48hrs after I logged the fault. I'm pretty impressed with both the level and speed of the customer service I personally received from Samsung.
    Thanks to all who offered advice on this thread :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

I only had the noisy fan issue. Called them yesterday and an engineer called out today and replaced the faulty part.
    Fridge was out of warranty, but they fixed it as a 'good will gesture'.

Very happy with their response and service

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,955 ✭✭✭tinofapples

We returned from holiday on the 13th Sept to find our fridge and freezer not working. The contents of the freezer had thawed but some of the fridge contents were salvageable. Called Samsung and they told me as a good will gesture they would sent out an engineer labour & parts free. That was the 14th, he eventually arrived out on the 19th. We plugged the fridge in ( I had it plugged out) and he immediately said it was fuked, I think he said the compressor. He then called base in Cork and told them it was BER (Beyond Economic Repair). A few minutes later he said it was kicking in, this morning the freezer is defrosting again. I've managed to get to the contents before they were gone.

I called the engineer and eventually the service centre and they said it was gone to Samsung, what should I do now ? The engineer said we may get a new fridge or a discounted one outta Samsung.It was 5 years old also. There's obviously issues with these machines and customers could have been contacted about it.

We returned from holiday on the 13th Sept to find our fridge and freezer not working. The contents of the freezer had thawed but some of the fridge contents were salvageable. Called Samsung and they told me as a good will gesture they would sent out an engineer labour & parts free. That was the 14th, he eventually arrived out on the 19th. We plugged the fridge in ( I had it plugged out) and he immediately said it was fuked, I think he said the compressor. He then called base in Cork and told them it was BER (Beyond Economic Repair). A few minutes later he said it was kicking in, this morning the freezer is defrosting again. I've managed to get to the contents before they were gone.

I called the engineer and eventually the service centre and they said it was gone to Samsung, what should I do now ? The engineer said we may get a new fridge or a discounted one outta Samsung.It was 5 years old also. There's obviously issues with these machines and customers could have been contacted about it.

Keep after them I had the same problems and it dragged on for 3 weeks. I wrote an email that basically said that you willingly allowed a fridge freezer to be sold that was not fit for purpose and quoted the BBC Watchdog programme on the same fridge. (RS21) I also got the original invoice from the supplier that I bought it off from and sent them the copy to prove the purchase date and then I kept ringing them until they made a decision to replace it. The warranty was extended to 5 years on that particular fridge as they were having horrendous problems in the U.K. You need to ring them in the morning and if you are left on hold too long then hang up and ring again. They will never ring you back so you just need to be persistent. Mine was 3 weeks out of the 5 year warranty but they still replaced it with a new up to date model. And don't even bother ringing after lunchtime on any day especially on a Friday!

seaniefr wrote: »
    Keep after them I had the same problems and it dragged on for 3 weeks. I wrote an email that basically said that you willingly allowed a fridge freezer to be sold that was not fit for purpose and quoted the BBC Watchdog programme on the same fridge. (RS21) I also got the original invoice from the supplier that I bought it off from and sent them the copy to prove the purchase date and then I kept ringing them until they made a decision to replace it. The warranty was extended to 5 years on that particular fridge as they were having horrendous problems in the U.K. You need to ring them in the morning and if you are left on hold too long then hang up and ring again. They will never ring you back so you just need to be persistent. Mine was 3 weeks out of the 5 year warranty but they still replaced it with a new up to date model. And don't even bother ringing after lunchtime on any day especially on a Friday!

Would you mind PM'ing me the email address and number you chased them on ? The service fella in Cork said it's with Samsung now so I won't expect them to contact me anytime soon :mad:

Would you mind PM'ing me the email address and number you chased them on ? The service fella in Cork said it's with Samsung now so I won't expect them to contact me anytime soon :mad:

Will do will have a look when I get home from work did you get a reference/case number from the service engineer? You will need that in all your correspondence with them

Will do will have a look when I get home from work did you get a reference/case number from the service engineer? You will need that in all your correspondence with them
    PM sent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 sharpman

Hi Guys thanks for all the info on the Samsung RS21 mine want faulty today after 5 years:mad:was going to buy a new fridge freezer tomorrow. Found all this helpful info on Boards site got the link to the Samsung web site found my fridge was one of the faulty ons sent the info see what happens.thanks everyone :)

Tried to ring Samsung Ireland today on hold for 50 mins no reply any one got any ideas Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭shot2go

I went through shop I bought mine in. No problems since

sharpman wrote: »
    Tried to ring Samsung Ireland today on hold for 50 mins no reply any one got any ideas Thanks
    Hang up & ring again and keep at it until you get an answer

Hi Guys thanks for all the info on the Samsung RS21 mine want faulty today after 5 years:mad:was going to buy a new fridge freezer tomorrow. Found all this helpful info on Boards site got the link to the Samsung web site found my fridge was one of the faulty ons sent the info see what happens.thanks everyone :)

Sorry to hear you're bad news, what exactly happened ? If I were you I would try and tackle your issue on two fronts, the manufacturer and the retailer you purchased from. If your retailer is willing to push on your behalf you'll fair out alot better. Curry's (Whom I purchased from) washed their hands off it completely, doing absolutely nothing. Having said that I was relatively content that Samsung were willing to offer a depreciated value on the unit which was finally paid just before Christmas. I've been informed that customers have been given new units where the retailer gets involved to assist the customer.

worked got then after 10 tries

Sorry to hear you're bad news, what exactly happened ? If I were you I would try and tackle your issue on two fronts, the manufacturer and the retailer you purchased from. If your retailer is willing to push on your behalf you'll fair out alot better. Curry's (Whom I purchased from) washed their hands off it completely, doing absolutely nothing. Having said that I was relatively content that Samsung were willing to offer a depreciated value on the unit which was finally paid just before Christmas. I've been informed that customers have been given new units where the retailer gets involved to assist the customer.
    Had to contact the manufacture direct hope to get a repair if not a replacement
    Fingers crossed will let you know Thanks:

worked got then after 10 tries
    Good stuff hope it works out for you. Even if they offer you a cash alternative don't be afraid to ask about a complete new replacement

• Registered Users Posts: 4,551 ✭✭✭Carlow2011

Any chance you would PM details to me also, thanks

Good stuff hope it works out for you. Even if they offer you a cash alternative don't be afraid to ask about a complete new replacement

Hi had a very quick response from Samsung had an engineer call out at 9 o'clock this morning and top of all the other problems he told me the compressor is gone after 5 years he will put the report through to Samsung and they will contact me not holding much fate :(

• Advertisement

Hi had a very quick response from Samsung had an engineer call out at 9 o'clock this morning and top of all the other problems he told me the compressor is gone after 5 years he will put the report through to Samsung and they will contact me not holding much fate :(
    Get your original date of purchase from the Retailer and do a search for smasung fridge problems BBC watchdog did a programme on them as there were so many issues in the U.K. I would also look on the National Consumer Agency website i can remember reading something about the Sale of Goods Act something there about not being 'fit for purpose' and write them a stinker of an email and keep ringing them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 1234tony

I was on phone to Samsung for one hour 30 minutes pulling me hair out

Samsung why are they so hard to get in contact with 3 hours and still no answer :mad::mad:

Samsung why are they so hard to get in contact with 3 hours and still no answer :mad::mad:
    Sorry to hear that they were at least reachable when I was contacting them but it sounds like they don't want to know about it. They are not doing much for their future sales! What about joe Duffy?

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭tteknulp

Hi Some advice needed

We have a Samsung bought nov 2009 model#RSH1dbbp

Fan noise /freezing up
    Its a fan problem it keeps icing up,stops working froze solid ,which causes temp in fridge to rise due to no cold air flow,its a common problem with samsung fridges i`ve since learnt

A boards member seen an article on watchdog on b.b.c. tv a while back .

i hear samsung can fix it for good as it keeps happening its just over 3 years old ,

i have lost a lot of food items due to this .

Does anyone have any advice on the problem ?

I have emailed samsung there trying to put me off saying its out of warranty etc... but i hear they extended it to 5 years due to so many problems with these fridges in UK and Ireland

Any help would be great

Thanks Michael

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Get in touch with the retailer, they are your point of contact and explain that it seems to be an underlying problem with the fridge - if possible have the said article at hand. If they refuse, then you could take it further to the SCC and argue the case that it is a known problem and you are already out of pocket because of it.

If the retailer is good they should be able to fight the case on your behalf ensuring that you wont need to visit the SCC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Pipmae

This thread might be of some use to you. I remember reading it a while back.

http://www.magicmum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=349034&hilit=samsung

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Threads merged

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭tteknulp

Thanks a lot , robo,pip & dud : its an absolute disgrace the way Samsung have treated me on a product worth 1000 euro that should last 10 years at least ,

Michael

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,499 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Pretty sure i have that fridge - the fan froze up and i just popped a hairdryer in to fix it by melting the ice that had formed. Should i still be looking to organise a home visit to ward off any potential future issues?

Advertisement