Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you read your other half's text messages?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

I find it funny that when my gf is writing or reading a text she leans the phone away from me. I have no interest in her converstations but if i'm texting she's all "Who's that". Not in a suspicious way but nosey.

More worried about pictures on my phone tbh. My friends have seen my gf practically naked too many times. So can't even keep erotic pics oh her on my phone anymore.

Once caught a girl I barely knew reading through my texts while I was in the toilet, I went mad and told her that was way out of line, how would you feel if I read yours, she said I could but she'd have to delete something first! I obviously wasn't gonna read hers but she didn't get why I was annoyed! She was a cnut, and fugly too!

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭maddogcollins

Its a tough one..I as a rule NEVER (except if she is driving and asks me to read it out to her, but thats different) read my girlfriends texts..I think it shows complete lack of trust and sneakiness..

My girlfriend has on more than one occasion taken my phone while I have been sitting beside her and read a few texts/flicked through to see who from..I dont mind that too much as I have no secrets and she is doing it in fromt of me, so I could always say thats private and she would not read it. But i have also caught her reading them once when i was out of room and came back in. Was not happy! Had teh trust chat needless to say!

Overall, dont read other people texts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

NothingMan wrote: »
    Once caught a girl I barely knew reading through my texts while I was in the toilet, I went mad and told her that was way out of line, how would you feel if I read yours, she said I could but she'd have to delete something first! I obviously wasn't gonna read hers but she didn't get why I was annoyed! She was a cnut, and fugly too!

If she was so fugly what was she doing in the toilet with you?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    If she was so fugly what was she doing in the toilet with you?

Fugly girls need lovin too, and who's to say i'm not pug fugly and was actually playing above my rank!

*I am actually a stunning, sexy, handsome, charming, sensitive, funny, smart and modest man.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

My phone is in my pocket unless I am using it / am in bed.

So unless she gets up in the middle of the night to read my
    texts, I don't see it happening.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭segaBOY

In a way, he was right - You'd have never known about his infidelity, had you not snooped through his phone.

Granted, what he did was wrong but arguably, you're also somewhat in the wrong, for invading his privacy.

Still though, you have to be a bit of a sneak to catch a snake.

Shiny wrote: »
    My phone is in my pocket unless I am using it / am in bed.

So unless she gets up in the middle of the night to read my
    texts, I don't see it happening.

She gets up in the middle of the night. Or waits until you're in the shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Macca07

my OH read txts and then freaked out at me cause i was txting an ex (am i not allowed be friends with an ex???). Wouldn't do it and I told her if she read them again that would be it. I like my privacy, even though I have nothing to hide

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

I would never read his messages, especially without his permission!I would freak the fúck out if i caught him reading mine, it's not that there's anything to hide i just think it's totally private.same goes for emails.

I'd prob have a lot more private stuff in my emails, as I've never deleted an email (the joys of gmail). Old conversations with girlfriends, stuff like that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭segaBOY

Macca07 wrote: »
    I'd prob have a lot more private stuff in my emails, as I've never deleted an email (the joys of gmail). Old conversations with girlfriends, stuff like that

That would freak the **** out of me tbh. A couple of my friends gave their E-mail, Bebo and Facebook passwords to their other halfs-why would anyone see the need to do this???

• Registered Users Posts: 54,721 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Valmont wrote: »
    I would never dream of it. Mainly because I don't really care as it's only a ****ing text message after all.

Even if the message says, "Thanks for the best BJ ever last night.":p

Still only a text message?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Barracudaincork

An ex of mine read my texts one day and was shocked to find a very raunchy one there from another friend. Fired up and ready to dump me, they confronted me over it, once i stopped laughing i was able to explain it was a text that they forwarded to me, which they had received from their latest conquest and was nothing to do with me and my friend. Which goes to show, just cause you read what you read, doesnt mean all is what it appears to be!

A few months ago I read my Mums emails (as she asks to me on a regular basis to keep her account active) and from an email from Argos, i found out i was getting a microwave for my birthday and had to do that whole surprise this is so cool, oh my god im so shocked when i received it!

A few months ago I read my Mums emails (as she asks to me on a regular basis to keep her account active) and from an email from Argos, i found out i was getting a microwave for my birthday and had to do that whole surprise this is so cool, oh my god im so shocked when i received it!

Just as well you didn't spot the email she got from Ann Summers. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Barracudaincork

Just as well you didn't spot the email she got from Ann Summers. ;)

ha ha so true!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

Never have, never would. An ex got freaked out when I read some stuff she posted online.
    Not privately posted or anything, public site, same username she used everywhere else.
    Learned not to do that again, though it was posted quite publicly and about me so wouldn't say it compares.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

I dunno... if I caught her reading my texts cuz she didn't trust me I would be very very angry, and hurt that she didn't trust me. But if my phone is lying around and I get a text she'll sometimes pick it up and read it out for me, not cuz she's suspicious or anything, more to be helpful :) Don't have any problems with that tbh.

segaBOY wrote: »
    That would freak the **** out of me tbh. A couple of my friends gave their E-mail, Bebo and Facebook passwords to their other halfs-why would anyone see the need to do this???

Would never give my OH my passwords for these, only looking for trouble!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

no no no.

texts, phone records, emails, diaries etc.

are all off limits. i don't how people could put up with their boyfriend/girlfriend either knowingly or unknowningly go through their texts or emails etc.

actually reading someones emails is worse because it can be done so sneakingly, the person doesn't even have to be in the same country let alone the same room.

consider anyone that does it to be a complete artard.

Would never give my OH my passwords for these, only looking for trouble!!!

Mine has asked me to check her emails/facebook for her many times, because she's expecting something or needs to send something and can't get to the internet. I've gotten her to do the same. Neither of us could be bothered to go trawling through the others emails for gossip though... way too much effort, and very bent.

• Advertisement

WeeBushy wrote: »
    Mine has asked me to check her emails/facebook for her many times, because she's expecting something or needs to send something and can't get to the internet. I've gotten her to do the same. Neither of us could be bothered to go trawling through the others emails for gossip though... way too much effort, and very bent.

U'd never know!!! Better to be safe than sorry

U'd never know!!! Better to be safe than sorry

Well I have nothing to be sorry about. ;)

Would be very out of character for her to do something like that. I'd trust my mum to send/receive emails or texts for me, same way I'd trust my OH. I'd like to think I know her well enough stage not to go schitzo through my stuff.

Well I have nothing to be sorry about. ;)

Would be very out of character for her to do something like that. I'd trust my mum to send/receive emails or texts for me, same way I'd trust my OH. I'd like to think I know her well enough stage not to go schitzo through my stuff.

I was only messing with ya. ;)

I know a lot of ppl that give their pwds to their OH, I just don't. My choice.
    My OH has given hers to me though!!!

I was only messing with ya. ;)

I know a lot of ppl that give their pwds to their OH, I just don't. My choice.
    My OH has given hers to me though!!!

I like your style... keep her on that lead m'boy. :p

I like your style... keep her on that lead m'boy. :p

Its not really like that at all.
    I work in computers so anything she needs to do on her computer I have to do it. Like setting up facebook, bebo, crap like that, she's just too lazy, and I'd be on the laptop anyway

Its not really like that at all.
    I work in computers so anything she needs to do on her computer I have to do it. Like setting up facebook, bebo, crap like that, she's just too lazy, and I'd be on the laptop anyway

Ah so she actually has you whipped, the real truth is coming out :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

I had an discussion with my cousin about it yesterday. She said that it's normal for girls to read men's text messages as they could be secretly up to no good and it's the only way to find out. I said that it's a breach of privacy, that the ends don't justify the means and every relationship shouldn't be built on a foundation of inherent distrust. She told me that I'll change my mind once I have a girlfriend.

I still disagree with her. I think that if you really think you have the right to look through somebody's text messages just because you're going out with them, then you're insane. That is to say, I have no issue if somebody let's his/her girl/boyfriend read through their texts, obviously. But the assumption that it's normal behaviour? Ludicrous.

What do you think?

You're in the right imo. Sneak-peeking at someones texts is paranoid, and it lacks trust. Everyone has a right to privacy. In the past I've been asked to read out a recently received text from another persons phone alright, and that is the only exception to the rule for me. And if I caught anyone looking through my phone.... well its a funny sight watching someone trying to pick up broken teeth with broken fingers :)

Just no.

Neither of us could be bothered to go trawling through the others emails for gossip though... way too much effort, and very bent.

You can't be bothered (or bent).

She on the other hand...... ????

Just sowing the seeds of mistrust. Don't mind me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

And this is why I keep a second phone prepaid & unregistered. Women are so nosey and then they wonder why we cheat?

• Advertisement

You can't be bothered (or bent).

She on the other hand...... ????

Thanks. I didn't know how to look at spoilers and you got me paranoid. I then rang her and we had a fight. Of course I then had to read her emails because I wanted to see what she was saying about me to her friends, and she caught me. She broke up with me. Thanks to you.

I figured out how to use spoilers... I'm only messing :D

Advertisement