Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you read your other half's text messages?

Options
  • 06-11-2009 4:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭

I had an discussion with my cousin about it yesterday. She said that it's normal for girls to read men's text messages as they could be secretly up to no good and it's the only way to find out. I said that it's a breach of privacy, that the ends don't justify the means and every relationship shouldn't be built on a foundation of inherent distrust. She told me that I'll change my mind once I have a girlfriend.

I still disagree with her. I think that if you really think you have the right to look through somebody's text messages just because you're going out with them, then you're insane. That is to say, I have no issue if somebody let's his/her girl/boyfriend read through their texts, obviously. But the assumption that it's normal behaviour? Ludicrous.

What do you think? Try to keep the "yore ma's" and shit out of this please.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

If I caught her- Instant perma ban

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

I would never dream of it. Mainly because I don't really care as it's only a ****ing text message after all.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

The whole thing just makes me feel uncomfortable tbh. I just like my privacy. Bitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I had an discussion with my cousin about it yesterday. She said that it's normal for girls to read men's text messages as they could be secretly up to no good and it's the only way to find out.

If don't like your cousin reading your texts, you should put a password on your phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

I'm single but with my previous g/f I would never read her text messages unless something big happened and I had a good reason to.

Think I might have checked hers twice and info from reading them on the second occasion was the reason for our break-up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Ahsurelookit

Was she serious??? Thats madness, if the texts were meant for her to see the sender would have sent them to her!!!

I went to college with a girl who thought nothing of just picking up peoples phone off the table and reading the texts, put her in her place quick fast. Seriously I would never read anyone's texts its such an invasion of privacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Aodan83

Taking a look while the OH is out of the room seems a bit wierd. It's like your expecting to find something that shouldn't be there. That's not how it should work. If they let you loook through, then ya, whatever floats your boat like. But sneaking a peek just shows that there is no trust there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Nasty_Girl

I dont give a sh*t if my husband reads my texts.
    Half of them are bullsh*t and he knows it.
    I've got nothing to hide.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭RossFixxxed

Nasty_Girl wrote: »
    I dont give a sh*t if my husband reads my texts.
    Half of them are bullsh*t and he knows it.
    I've got nothing to hide.

I like the sound of the other half.

Maybe it's cos I'm an only child or something but I'm obsessive about my privacy. There's bugger all of interest on my phone, email, post etc. but it's MINE and I like it that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

No I wouldn't read anyone's text messages and wouldn't appreciate anyone reading mine. There's nothing in them and I've nothing to hide but it's an invasion of privacy to do it. You shuldn't have to put a password on your phone to prevent it happening. There's something wrong if you do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

My thinking is, if you don't trust the person enough to respect their privacy (ie. not look through their phone etc), you shouldn't be in a relationship with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

WindSock wrote: »
    If don't like your cousin reading your texts, you should put a password on your phone.

I'm...I'm not going out with my cousin, WindSock.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭token56

Text, emails, etc its the same for all, you dont invade someone else's privacy by checking their stuff. Trust is a huge part of any relationship and if you need to check their personal messages to keep your sanity there is something wrong. If I feel there is something up I will just ask, no need to go around checking up on them behind their backs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Aodan83

I like the sound of the other half.

Maybe it's cos I'm an only child or something but I'm obsessive about my privacy. There's bugger all of interest on my phone, email, post etc. but it's MINE and I like it that way.
    I have 4 siblings. I dont get much privacy, so what little I do have, I keep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I wouldn't read his text messages, it's a total invasion of privacy. I wouldn't mind if he read mine, but only if he asked first.

It's the same as opening other people's post or listening in on their phone conversations, not on.

And if your girlfriend is reading your texts on the sly there is a big problem with trust in that relationship, and you should be considering giving her the heave ho.

You're from the country, it's only a matter of time before you are! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

No.

Had an ex want my email pw and **** before and never again.

**** right off

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

My OH won't read my text messages even when asked/demanded to :eek:

...meh wouldn't really be bothered to read his- his phone, his business!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Ex-Wife - "I texted you to let you know that we should meet earlier."
    Me - "Yesterday you gave out to me for reading your texts and now you're giving out to me for not reading your texts. Make up your mind woman.

You can't win sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Ex-Wife - "I texted you to let you know that we should meet earlier."
    Me - "Yesterday you gave out to me for reading your texts and now you're giving out to me for not reading your texts. Make up your mind woman.

You can't win sometimes.

Ex-wife? Fucking hell, how old are you?

• Advertisement

Ah sweet so she finally dumped you. Do you mind if I have a go?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Never ever read Miss Piggys texts. To do so would be deceitful, underhand and would show an inherant lack of trust in her. Anyway she never gets any texts. Not since Pighead took away her phone and locked her in the attic after the private detective Pighead had follow her last Wednesday evening, reported that she was spotted down Earl st talking to a man with a stripey jumper and nice curly hair.

Ex-wife? Fucking hell, how old are you?

A gentleman never asks. A lady never tells. :)

So eh.... in my 30's.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

The trick is to have messages password protected

I'd never read anyone elses though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Amy33

I read my ex's texts and found out that he had been cheating on me with a female "friend". He was ranting and raving about his privacy when I confronted him, talk about nerve....

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I hate the idea of anyone reading my messages. My OH is the only person who texts me anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

No but they are probably read by CIA/FBI/Eircom so I never use my own phone for my ingenious plans to take over the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Spark Boy

If i caught my other half secretly reading my txs it tells me three things 1) they don't feckin trust me 2) bit of a control freak 3) get the hell outta the relationship!! oh ya 4, they can read..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭Sean Quagmire

As Chris Rock said 'If youre gonna let a little f*cking get in the way of our love, theres something wrong here baby'

• Advertisement

trish990 wrote: »
    I read my ex's texts and found out that he had been cheating on me with a female "friend". He was ranting and raving about his privacy when I confronted him, talk about nerve....

In a way, he was right - You'd have never known about his infidelity, had you not snooped through his phone.

Granted, what he did was wrong but arguably, you're also somewhat in the wrong, for invading his privacy.

Advertisement