Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jingle Bells 5K

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

mloc123 wrote: »
    Ran this today and agree with what most people said, first 1k was spent dodging people but after that it was fine. I was there with my OH...who did not really understand the 'sub xx' signs, I'd imagine most noobs are the same. I think if it was mentioned in the emails and on the loud speaker it would o a long way to help the situation.
    agree about the speaker but i think the majority of people would understand the signs, it was my oh's 1st race too but again she knew from training runs to stand in x, y or z section, even before i said it to her

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

That is all of my pictures from today uploaded now and can be found here and at www.racepix365.com:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/spideog/sets/72157622941619720/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭daymobrew

tunguska wrote: »
    I think I was talking to you before and after the race daymo. Did you lock your bag and bike to a bench near the finish?
    I planned to lock it to a bench near the finish but found a lamp post at the exit from Furry Glen. So, it wasn't me.

Aside: I was impressed by the number of medical people in the Furry Glen. I hope no one needed their help.

Darn, no photos of me on RacePix365. I saw Spideog in Furry Glen and purposely moved to the right so he could get a good shot but it wasn't to be. He did catch a woman who didn't forget to wear a hat.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

daymobrew wrote: »
    Darn, no photos of me on RacePix365. I saw Spideog in Furry Glen and purposely moved to the right so he could get a good shot but it wasn't to be. He did catch a woman who didn't forget to wear a hat.
    Sorry about missing you. I know nobody will believe me, but I had no idea I had that hat shot until I went through the pictures to tag them afterwards. I also thought the same, that it was lucky she wore the hat to keep from getting cold. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭daymobrew

robinph wrote: »
    Sorry about missing you. I know nobody will believe me, but I had no idea I had that hat shot until I went through the pictures to tag them afterwards.
    Not a problem at all - you being out there taking photos at all is absolutely brilliant.
    Phoenix3 wrote: »
    I know this is slightly off topic but my son ran today and arrived home delighted with his mug,only to discover the date on the mug to be 14th Dec 2008. I know we are in recession but this is a poor poor show on Donore's part.
    This sounds like they ran out of mugs. I got a 2009 mug on Friday night. Maybe they ordered too many mugs last year and not enough this year. It's a delicate balance because the mugs certainly cannot be returned to the manufacturer if they have excess. As you seem a bit angry about this, you can have my 2009 mug. I am in Dublin 15.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭jinka

Yes, Its a tough job trying to take photos when so many fit women in the race:p

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

jinka wrote: »
    Yes, Its a tough job trying to take photos when so many fit women in the race:p

No problem for Robin :pac::p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

Any signs of results yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭jinka

Any signs of results yet?

top 100 only up on donore site

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

robinph wrote: »
    Sorry about missing you. I know nobody will believe me, but I had no idea I had that hat shot until I went through the pictures to tag them afterwards. I also thought the same, that it was lucky she wore the hat to keep from getting cold. :D

As I clicked the picture I thought 'typical Robin' oh an I don't believe you. :pac:

Well done to all who took part yesterday. Did this two years ago, sick last year and couldn't go this year. It's usually on Sundays though isn't it?

Edit: Why is everyone carrying their jackets and stuff? I charmed some nice race volunteer into letting me dump my bag in his car in 2007. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

Phoenix3 wrote: »
    I know this is slightly off topic but my son ran today and arrived home delighted with his mug,only to discover the date on the mug to be 14th Dec 2008.I know we are in recession but this is a poor poor show on Donore's part.

If you're near D12 your son is welcome to mine.

Thrilled with my pic up on racepix (thanks spideog). A great reminder of how far I have come since I started running in July.

Looks like there is still more pictures appearing on RacePix from Saturday by other phtographers who were out.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭gerrycorrigan

This was my 1st ever race. I really enjoyed it so much, and was thrilled to find a pic of me on the racepix - thanks spideog, whoever you are.

Was wondering, will the club be posting all the times/positions or just the top 100. As I was ushered down one of the chutes at race end all of our numbers were recorded. Now with the delay in passing the finish line and queueing in the chute they obviously can't give accurate times. I'm new to this game....can anybody enlighten me as to what the done thing is.

Could I e-mail the club possibly?

Also, I agree with earlier posters about the start - it was a bit messy- possibly because of the narrowness. However as a novice I wasn't too bothered - I'm aiming to beat my time of 26.40, and cant wait for another race!!

Was wondering, will the club be posting all the times/positions or just the top 100. As I was ushered down one of the chutes at race end all of our numbers were recorded. Now with the delay in passing the finish line and queueing in the chute they obviously can't give accurate times. I'm new to this game....can anybody enlighten me as to what the done thing is.
    I dunno about where or when the results for this one will appear, but as for recording the times, there will have been someone on the line recording the time that each person actually crossed the line, and then at the end of the chutes they record the order of all the numbers. Those two lists will then be matched up to give each persons time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭DustyBin

Ran this with Mrs DB on Saturday - and we both really enjoyed it
    Entry fee was very reasonable, and a huge crowd with nice December weather really helped make the day
    Mrs DB's first ever race, we were aiming for sub 30 - and we nailed it, crossing the line in 29:15
    Atmosphere was brilliant, all the colour in the hats and costumes made for a great sight
    Hadn't a clue about Ronnie Delaney starting the race unitl I read it here
    Only slight gripe would be about all the slow people (walkers or whatever) that we had to pass
    We lined up between the sub 30 and sub 24 signs yet we were still passing out walkers after the 1k sign, I can only imagine what it was like for people aiming for quicker times
    But, like has been said here before, better communication of what the signs actually meant would have gone a long wayas I'm sure a lot of people on the day didn't understand the signs
    All in all was a great day in Phoenix Park
    Spotted a few nice photo's as well on Racepix, tahnks to Robin and also Chris Byrne

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭bourne99

• Registered Users Posts: 19,591 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Hmm...

I'm sure i finished in a better time than the 23.45 they've awarded me!!

The clock said 21.09 when i crossed the line (and my watch said i was inside 21 mins). Unless i was seeing things a the end.

My brother finished about a minute after me and isn't even on this list.

That's disappointing.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

****ing LOL, they have my time down on the results as 27:15. That's 3:09 out from what was on my watch and 2:35 out from what was on the clock when I finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

ohwell, at least they got the esults up... they added about 30secsonds to my time. Chute results will never be perfect in such a big race

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭bourne99

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Hmm...

The clock said 21.09 when i crossed the line (and my watch said i was inside 21 mins). Unless i was seeing things a the end.

That's disappointing.

Phew thought it was just me! I missed the start by at least 2/3 minutes and was dead last etc. At the time I was thinking it was a very slow run, but over the last day or two I've thought nah, I was mostly still running at a good pace - just with a lot of evasive maneuvres thrown in - they have me down as ~23:48 or so and I thought it was faster. If you did "23:45" then I must have been just behind you in those queues. And I remember thinking our queue was very slow?!

And yep, my sister did the race and she's nowhere to be seen.

Oh well, like others said - it's a big race and very hard to keep track, but still it would have been nice! I think it's just a fun run really - wish I'd just gone to with that mentality and wore some funny outfit and enjoyed it more!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Those results are a shambles. I am not down as having finished at all. My mate who finished behind me and RK is down as having fininshed a minute ahead of RK. His friend who finished just behind him; like me is not down as having finished.

Edit: I was just checking through Boards AC runners and i see that they have Kennyb3 down at almost 22 minutes when he actually finished under 20, so shambles all round

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

This appears to be a carbon copy of last years event.
    They don't mind taking in as much in funds as possible yet only have concern for the top 10% of the field.

I also got a phone call last week from some chancer from the club harassing me to do fundraising for them?
    Can they not donate a decent percentage of the entry fee to Debra instead of lining their own pockets?

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭violator13

It seems these races are now all about "the charity" and nothing else matters. Anybody ringing you out of the blue to give them more money even though they should be getting a fair cut from the club is indeed a chancer.

yeah like i said on my log, i went through 3k in 11:55 per 2 guys beside me, finished in 19:51 as per 2 girls at the end. no way it was 21:30 or so they gave me. very annoying. i only didnt have my own watch cause i lent it out.

anyway not to worry i think once you know what your own time was thats the main thing

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Hmm...

That's disappointing.
    exact same situation for me as stated above. plus my OH's result is missing too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭GoHardOrGoHome

My time was accurate to the second. I know that shortly after me there were two chutes which can't have helped the accurate time keeping?

Really enjoyed the race and struggled from the start which I suppose is what these short races are all about!

Great to meet kennyB3 and his OH at it. Tried to tag along with Aero2k at the start but found it hard straight away and I had to let him glide off. Nearly threw up at the end which means I must have put in a good effort! The finish line came just too early. Didn't have time to kick past a girl from Raheny Shamrocks.

Definitely sub 19 next year. You with me kenny?

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Phoenix3

daymobrew wrote: »
    Not a problem at all - you being out there taking photos at all is absolutely brilliant. This sounds like they ran out of mugs. I got a 2009 mug on Friday night. Maybe they ordered too many mugs last year and not enough this year. It's a delicate balance because the mugs certainly cannot be returned to the manufacturer if they have excess. As you seem a bit angry about this, you can have my 2009 mug. I am in Dublin 15.

Daymobrew

I didn't mean to come across as angry-We have a lot more problems to worry about in this country than a Donore Mug.I was just saying it was disappointing on a 14 year olds part.

PS I ran for years with Donore until I got Lazy. Thanks for the offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

Just on the results... I'm down as being 3 mins slower than I timed myself with my stopwatch!!! Shocking!

Also, with regard being hassled to do fundraising... I also got a call from the club the week of the event, I wasn't being hounded though or anything; just some friendly chap reminding me of the date, time, location etc and where I could pick up my race number. He then asked if I'd like to collect some sponsorship. I said "why not" and gave him my email address to send me a sponsor form but it never arrived! :confused:

Finally, I was looking through 1 or 2 photos that the O/H took of the race, when I was getting to the finish line. There's someone standing in the background (Who had already finished) in a blue 'Boards' vest!

Wonder who it is?!

Great to meet kennyB3 and his OH at it.

Definitely sub 19 next year. You with me kenny?

nice to meet you too and great running. defo with you but give me a few months to work off the xmas excess, i like my food!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭aero2k

Tried to tag along with Aero2k at the start but found it hard straight away and I had to let him glide off.
    Hi Gohard, it was nice to chat to you at the start. I wasn't trying to get away from you, I was well bumped and battered for the first 100m or so and I just tried to run as fast as I could and stay out of trouble. Rest assured there was no gliding done, particularly coming up out of the Glen!
    My official time was close enough to the Garmin, though I wasn't sure when to hit stop due to the lack of a finish line....

Advertisement