Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jingle Bells 5K

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭gmurran

Hamstring injury has me out of this and the novice cross country this weekend. I had hoped to take some time off my Rathfarnham PB.

Enjoy the race everyone I'll be out to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

Great info here, thanks everyone.
    All dressed & ready to head soon. Quite excited, my 2nd 5k and hoping to knock 2+ mins off my Rathfarnham time.
    Looks like we'll be rain free too, yay!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Temp seems okay too (7 deg in Dublin 15).

I'll be cycling down and locking my bike to the bench near the finish - I did a recee after collecting my number last night (no queue at 7:30).

Good luck to all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Great conditions. Had a howler though. 17:02(my timing). Shouldve well gone under 17mins. Suppose its not too bad, first race since marathon so definitely still some cobwebs there. Gonna do Bhaa 5k tomorrow just as a matter of interest, to see if I can do better.
    Overall a great race in terms of atmosphere, really friendly and nice crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Stupid_Private

Anyone know what John Travers' winning time was? I got to the finish just after the first few women were finishing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I was quite happy with a PB of 18:55.
    Perfect temp and no wind.
    I saw some good sprint finishes as I walked back to my bike.

My first 1k took 4mins because of severe congestion at the start - I was at the "Sub 16" sign but there was obviously hundreds ahead of me. Each year I tell myself to go further forward because I always struggle over that first 1k, but this year was the worse.

daymobrew wrote: »
    I was quite happy with a PB of 18:55.
    Perfect temp and no wind.
    I saw some good sprint finishes as I walked back to my bike.

My first 1k took 4mins because of severe congestion at the start - I was at the "Sub 16" sign but there was obviously hundreds ahead of me. Each year I tell myself to go further forward because I always struggle over that first 1k, but this year was the worse.

I think I was talking to you before and after the race daymo. Did you lock your bag and bike to a bench near the finish?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,591 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Really enjoyed this today. Finished in around 21.09, which is slower than i wanted (and slower than my pb from rathfarnham), but it was a great morning for it, and it was well organised as far as i could see. Looking forward to aware 10k now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

Ran 18:14 by my Garmin so a new PB which I was delighted with.

Felt the start was a bit dodgy. It just seemed like nobody paid any attention to the signposted starting positions, it was amazing to see some of the people standing in the sub 16 section.:rolleyes: I was on the grass for the first 100 metres or so.

For a race as big as this with a start on such a narrow track chip timing would make the experience a lot better. It must take ages for everybody to actually cross the line and the clock is already ticking.

Aside from that it was a great race. Very fast course and very friendly. The atmosphere was great and Im looking even more forward to the aware 10k next Saturday.:D

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

24.04 by my watch, am absolutely delighted (PB by 2.18!) :)

Would also agree with Running Bing that chip timing would make the experience better, but the other side to that is that it's nice to only pay €15 for a race!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭petermijackson

Chip timing is a must...the start was a joke. Somebody could have got hurt with the congestion, people need to start in the correct areas. It was my first run in the park with this amount of people and would really have to think hard about doing one again there.

What exactly does the 15euro entry fee pay for?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

Chip timing is a must...the start was a joke. Somebody could have got hurt with the congestion, people need to start in the correct areas. It was my first run in the park with this amount of people and would really have to think hard about doing one again there.

Chip timing would make no difference to the congestion at the start. There were time zones marked out but nobody paid any heed to them. I think there were a lot of people there who only race once a year and have no idea of race etiquette.
    I really don't know what to make of your question at the finish. I think if you were in a club and organised a race you might have some idea. If you are not in a club, then there's a list of things longer than my arm that incur costs. At the end of the day, after paying those costs and even giving some money to charity, any balance leftover goes into the running costs of the organising club. Go along to that club any Tuesday or Thursday evening and see how many kids they are keeping off the streets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭aero2k

Chip timing would make no difference to the congestion at the start.
    +1^^.
    It's purely a function of the number of people entered, and especially the number that think they can run sub 16 or sub 18, or have no idea but think they should go up the front anyway. There was plenty of pushing and shoving but all good natured stuff - I'd rather push/be pushed than fall or have someone else do likewise.
    I have no problem with the entry fee - those who picked up their numbers at the clubhouse may have noticed the 5-lane track beside the Liffey, plus the building is pretty big so I assume there are weight training facilities etc too. Might be where the entry fee goes...
    On a related matter the organisers did a great job getting the course ready. I ran up Furze Rd on Thursday and saw a "mature" gentleman (think his name is Harry, he's at the start of all the races) sweeping a huge pile of leaves off the corner of Furze Rd / Chesterfield Avenue. Also I ran up the Glen during the week and it was covered in muck, but all nice and clean today, so they obviously got that sorted too.
    And finally, being in a race started by a living legend - well that doesn't happen every day. Thanks Ronnie!

Chip timing would make no difference to the congestion at the start. There were time zones marked out but nobody paid any heed to them. I think there were a lot of people there who only race once a year and have no idea of race etiquette.
    I really don't know what to make of your question at the finish. I think if you were in a club and organised a race you might have some idea. If you are not in a club, then there's a list of things longer than my arm that incur costs. At the end of the day, after paying those costs and even giving some money to charity, any balance leftover goes into the running costs of the organising club. Go along to that club any Tuesday or Thursday evening and see how many kids they are keeping off the streets.

Well said Hardworker. There'll always be a few people you just cant please and who'll complain no matter what.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭petermijackson

I did not mean anything by my question about the entry fee, it was just a query. If it goes back to the club then I do not have a problem with this. Clubs need to raise money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

:mad:

I was at the sub 16 section and was so annoyed when people were talking of trying to break 20. When i asked them why they were this far down reply was i dont want people getting in my way. between ducking and weaving for the first k cost me over 30 seconds compared to my other k times and basically ruined my race 20e down the drain for what was more like tempo pace because people are so egocentric i mean santa and his rudolf at the sub 16 section come on what a joke granted i was aiming for 16.30 and popped up to sub 16 but only because i forsaw this kind of thing thouh not as bad as that:mad::mad::mad::mad:

ecoli wrote: »
    :mad:

I was at the sub 16 section and was so annoyed when people were talking of trying to break 20. When i asked them why they were this far down reply was i dont want people getting in my way. between ducking and weaving for the first k cost me over 30 seconds compared to my other k times and basically ruined my race 20e down the drain for what was more like tempo pace because people are so egocentric i mean santa and his rudolf at the sub 16 section come on what a joke granted i was aiming for 16.30 and popped up to sub 16 but only because i forsaw this kind of thing thouh not as bad as that:mad::mad::mad::mad:

How did you get on in the end ecoli? I see Thomas came 2nd. He's a beast isnt he. You should do the marley park race tomorrow, exorcise the demons from today. Im doing it for definite.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Stupid_Private

4160512974_808af1fc72.jpg

Jingle Bells Photos

Christmas drinks contributed to making me a tad late to the finish and a bit shakey with the camera today! Still got some pictures mind. Some more, that weren't taken by me, will be uploaded later.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

I think on the whole today's event was excellently organised and for the most part it was a credit to Donore but if you just ignore problems nothing will ever improve.

I believe chip timing would help the situation because then people would'nt be so eager to get as near to the front as possible.

If your trying to break 20 if you line up at the right post its going to be the guts of 30 seconds before you cross the line.....now if somebody is timed by a chip this is'nt a big issue so they'll be more inclined to line up at the right point.

I lined up at sub 18 today....I would've had no problem lining up at around sub 19 if it was chip timed.

The second thing they could do is possibly move the start to a better area. The place where it started today was very narrow and it was only natural it would get congested.

Finally, more of an effort needs to be made to inform/remind people of the system. It should be everywhere in bold letters...on the website...at the clubhouse...on the entry forms....on the race numbers...the announcer should constantly remind people.....and stewards should police the area and remind people of the system. Its a major problem and it can ruin peoples races (as Ecoli highlighted above) so more of an effort needs to be made to address it.

If those three things were changed next year I could guarantee it would not be anywhere near as big a problem.

tunguska wrote: »
    How did you get on in the end ecoli? I see Thomas came 2nd. He's a beast isnt he. You should do the marley park race tomorrow, exorcise the demons from today. Im doing it for definite.

17.10 was just behind you but was not happy with it so in the end i did an hour run after so it wasnt a ruined day but worst mistake i ever made not lining up at the front was too far behind and it cost me. I think a long run will benefit me more so just an LSR tomorro afternoon as i really have to put in a bit of college study for exams on monday been procrastinating a little too much :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Been trying to overcome some issues with the laptop playing up this afternoon, but will be uploading my pictures from this morning shortly...

As for starting positions, look at the results from previous years, figure out how many people finished ahead of your planned time for this year, if there are more people than that then lined up infront of you at the start line then push the costumed ones out of the way and get to the right position for yourself. Wherever the actual signs are on the side of the road for subXX times is pretty irrelevant as there will be way more people going for sub20 than sub18 for example, but the distance between the signs looked to be about the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Did 20.15 myself so slower than last year but as i haven't been doing much running lately, can't be too disappointed but would have liked to run under 20.

As for the crowd, people don't and never will obey the starting zones whatever you do. Two girls besides me in the sub 20 zone were hoping to break 27 minutes and i really hope they did as they were a good laugh. This used to annoy me before but now its a regular thing.

When they don't announce it to people at the start (and not just up the front), most people who rarely run in a race have no idea about these things so you can't blame them if they don't know any better. All the notices on websites, entry forms are pointless and the day will come when someone is going to get seriously injured. The court case that will surely happen will drive insurance through the roof for future events.

We done to all at Donroe but sorry, the finish was a mess. No idea where the finish line was (i assumed it was the jeep) is a bit daft for a course that they keep telling people you can set a pb on. Is a line on the road that much hassle? Also a fella in a club vest (i know his number) finished behind me but skipped past a few people. So tis not only the fun runners who need to be told a few things!

It would also have been nice if they mentioned that Ronnie Delaney was the starter this morning, i bet the majority of people would have liked to know that they were in the presence of such a man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

I ran this today, it was my first ever race and I have to say I really enjoyed it. I finished in 26.19 by my watch - which is OK as I'd never done any road running before October this year (I'm also carrying some extra weight!)

But in some of my recent training 5K runs I've finished in 24 mins. I'm putting it down to congestion, inexperience & starting out too slowly. I set myself too slow a pace. I looked at my watch passing the 3K mark and it was around 18mins.

Either way, I enjoyed myself, and this was a nice event to start off running with!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

I think on the whole today's event was excellently organised and for the most part it was a credit to Donore but if you just ignore problems nothing will ever improve.

I believe chip timing would help the situation because then people would'nt be so eager to get as near to the front as possible.

If your trying to break 20 if you line up at the right post its going to be the guts of 30 seconds before you cross the line.....now if somebody is timed by a chip this is'nt a big issue so they'll be more inclined to line up at the right point.

I lined up at sub 18 today....I would've had no problem lining up at around sub 19 if it was chip timed.

The second thing they could do is possibly move the start to a better area. The place where it started today was very narrow and it was only natural it would get congested.

Finally, more of an effort needs to be made to inform/remind people of the system. It should be everywhere in bold letters...on the website...at the clubhouse...on the entry forms....on the race numbers...the announcer should constantly remind people.....and stewards should police the area and remind people of the system. Its a major problem and it can ruin peoples races (as Ecoli highlighted above) so more of an effort needs to be made to address it.

If those three things were changed next year I could guarantee it would not be anywhere near as big a problem.

Good running today, you seem to have been working very hard the past couple of months so super pb there.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Phoenix3

I know this is slightly off topic but my son ran today and arrived home delighted with his mug,only to discover the date on the mug to be 14th Dec 2008.I know we are in recession but this is a poor poor show on Donore's part.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

unfortunately the race seems to be a victim of its own sucess - a huge field for a club race and a narrow route. agree that the start was a joke (had plenty of overweight women beside me at the start - sorry if thats not PC but just saying) but wouldnt be in favour of chip timing either cause of the cost plus cause the start is narrow, some could miss the mat by going up on the grass. As Robin says there was no diff in the size of the areas. Also nobody trying to organise. people into correct areas

i think it was pretty clear everyone wanted to get as far forward as possible as they envisaged the problem and that compounded the issue.

anyway i just want to say thanks to donore, i thought it was a great race - very well organised and marshalled. the atmosphere was friendly and the spread after a huge incentive to run fast and get back for that brack which i spotted beforehand. some feast provided. My OH felt the same and we ll both be back next year.

I think its just up to you to time yourself anyway and start your watch as you cross the line.

nice to meet Robinph, fair play to you for getting out with the camera, and gohardgohome (again) fair play on that sub 20 (by a long way). bothe very friendly guys.

ran 19:51 (i think had no actual watch - lent it to other half but girl ahead said 19:50, one behind 19:52 so 19:51 should be right and it was about that on the clock at the finish). delighted to break 20 again in only my 3rd race. had no right to run that time given i ve only been back from injury few weeks, been only doing 20 miles a week and been away a few weekends boozing.

nearly died the other day trying to do 2k in 8 mins like. over the moon like, ran my heart out, way harder than my 19:40 pb last may. really really suffered in last 1k, my speed endurance and general endurance just aint there

19 mins is up next when i really get fit

chinguetti wrote: »
    Also a fella in a club vest (i know his number) finished behind me but skipped past a few people. So tis not only the fun runners who need to be told a few things!

I did this myself sure, until someone said it to me and i moved back. Think there are 2 things 1) i was wrecked like im sure others were and head was spinning, and could barely hear/make sense of instructions been shouted. Add to this never having seen this method before in races id done it was chips, or they recorded your number as you crossed line and not going down some shute which is open to abuse. plus i want to get out of there asap, to support my OH home. use your own watch get your own time and dont worry is what i say - the start and when people passed the start line being the perfect example of how things arent exact anyway 2) does it really make any odds either way 1 or 2 positions when once you get over top 100. i let a girl ahead of me in the end who finished behind. i couldnt careless. again your position will be hugely affected by what area you start in

I agree there is no need for a chip timing as it will just increase the price to an unviable level. My previous comments were regarding people in the race rather than the organisation (though the narrowness of the start a slight concern) all in all i compliment Donore on a fine race despite my experience of the race

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Ran this today and agree with what most people said, first 1k was spent dodging people but after that it was fine. I was there with my OH...who did not really understand the 'sub xx' signs, I'd imagine most noobs are the same. I think if it was mentioned in the emails and on the loud speaker it would o a long way to help the situation.

• Advertisement

ecoli wrote: »
    I agree there is no need for a chip timing as it will just increase the price to an unviable level. My previous comments were regarding people in the race rather than the organisation (though the narrowness of the start a slight concern) all in all i compliment Donore on a fine race despite my experience of the race
    totally agree, individual idiots fault and not the club. unfortuntely this will never change. and unfortunately its exaggerated by the narrow start. i feel sorry for yourself and others who try to do the right thing (as i did but it didnt affect me as much really given i only wanted to break 20 anyway) but lining up in the right area only to suffer

Advertisement