Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Completing a game even though you're sick of it

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

sarumite wrote: »
    Bayonetta is out in Japan and its got full english translation available...for those that really can't wait, though could look to getting an imported copy.

The PS3 version looks dreadful compared to the 360 version though and the 360 version isn't region free. I'm waiting for the decent version.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,289 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The PS3 version looks dreadful compared to the 360 version though and the 360 version isn't region free. I'm waiting for the decent version.

Yeah January isn't too bad a waiting period for a supposedly superior, and tbh one less game at the moment isn't a bad thing, with MW2, Assassins Creed 2 etc.. on the way (plus Demons Souls in the post :) - hope it is as good as everyone here is making it out to be!).

I think this time of year is usually the worst time for trying to finish games really. With AAA games that are very much first-day purchases, can be hard to keep track, and some games can remain unfinished, or worse yet ignored. Especially since the Christmas season is going on well into February this year (with Mass Effect 2) it becomes far harder to devote the necessary time to games with so much choice. Longer games in particular suffer throughout this period.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Only ever completed one game . Gta vice city .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

I played through Dead Rising once, mostly just pissed about and saved a handful of people. My in game stats are up and I do want to go back and complete a storyline playthrough but just can't push myself to get around to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

Tried to force myself to finish op flash:dragon rising but just couldnt do it. ****ing awful game. Aside from that, most games i buy, i finish. Otherwise, whats the point?? Would you watch a movie and turn it off with 30 minutes left to go, just cause you cant be bothered?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

gosh there are so many reviews out there from players already finished the game :(:(:(i am fcking picking up a x360(probably 2nd hand) this xmas merely for it caused i saw this comparing video.cant wait!!:D god ,i even havent touched my ps3 for months now wonder if i have time at all for gaming...hate final year college!!but nothing is stopping me from touching bayonetta!!!another ACT of this year i am looking forward to is the Muramasa: The Demon Blade on wii!

OT:
    rarely buy bad game since i did 'extensive' research before i purchase.the regret ones i can recall are those which people said they are really really good but turn out doesnt fit in my taste ;( no.1 is the Bioshock.i was bored to dead of the scenes and those blant 'magics' in the game but finish it for my game completion's sake - i never abandon any game i bought!

well,i did actually...LEGO starwars bored my a** off too everytime after 2hours playing time...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

Its not as bad as its made out to be. I picked up the japanese ps3 version at the start of the week and despite the whole environment being an odd shade of grey when compared with the 360 and the framerate not being as smooth, its far from unplayable.

The big wig point scorers like brea have moved to the 360 version but for your average joe soap who doesn't intend on tackling the high scores table, it probably won't make a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Just finished Half Life 2. Was playing it, on and off, for about a year.

No dedicate "throw grenade" and "melee" buttons made the game feel archaic. Switching to the crowbar every time I came upon a supply crate got old, fast.

Physics puzzles were annoying - I knew what to do but it was irritatingly time consuming top get all the pieces in place.

Friendly, but stupid, NPCs made ridiculous decisions all the time - at times causing me to fail the mission. The collision detection on friendly NPCs at times saw them form a nigh impenetrable barrier around Freeman when trying to navigate narrow corridors - "Pardon Me", "Sorry", "I'll get out of your way". Don't know if I ever died as a result of them getting in the way but I certainly lost health.

Finished it for the the story/characters mostly. It has some great moments but don't know whether I'll bother with the episodes, if they have these same, moment to moment, frustrations.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

bugs wrote: »
    Its not as bad as its made out to be. I picked up the japanese ps3 version at the start of the week and despite the whole environment being an odd shade of grey when compared with the 360 and the framerate not being as smooth, its far from unplayable.

The big wig point scorers like brea have moved to the 360 version but for your average joe soap who doesn't intend on tackling the high scores table, it probably won't make a difference.

I'm a bit pedantic in this regard and hate playing compromised versions of games. I usually don't notice the differences in the eurogamers face offs but in the bayonetta one it really was night and day. I'll wait and be happy playing a graphically far superior version.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

Some games get put on the backburner for a time, if they're repetitive. Assassin's Creed and Web of Shadows both took a while, but I got around to them. I actually got 1000 gamerscore out of AC the other night, that was repetitive.

Anything with a strong narrative or compelling gameplay, I finish. RPGs have fallen by the wayside in recent years. The great Lost Odyssey remains unfinished, as does Kingdom Hearts 2.

Some hard games I feel compelled to complete (DMC4), while others (Ninja Gaiden 2) are left. Twice I've played NG2 for hours, twice I've abandoned it! It's a great game, but it's very frustrating. I'll do it one day...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

As life goes on the game can't be too long or I won't bother. It has to have a good story and interesting gameplay. Even then I'm playing and finishing less and less. I think it's more to do with getting sick of the escapism involved in playing games. Too much wasted time. The same goes for the internet which I've begun to use a lot less also.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭Sarn

I'll try and finish most games, but saying that I don't buy that many and it may take me about a year to get there. I'm quite selective about what I buy so only tend to get ones that I've heard good reviews of.

Farcry 2 was one I forced myself to finish, I ended up blazing right through it to get to the end. However, when it comes to achievements on the 360 I couldn't care less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

as a rule, my job description insists on it

though for the criminally bad games, i really couldnt be bothered

see damnation

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Im pretty bad at finishing games. I have noticed a trend in the games I do complete though. They all have a good plot, good cut-scenes, quality game play. Ive completed Fallout 3, Oblivion, Batman AA and MGS4 for example. It wasnt a chore to play them through cos they ticked all those boxes.

Games I left have been FarCry2 (repetitive and not didnt live up to the hype) Crysis (a tech demo which looked great but was alittle shallow, particularly the alien BS)

So if a game is very one dimensional I just lose interest and move onto something else. If its technically acomplished, has solid gameplay, good believable characters (and voice acting) and is rewarding to play, then Ill easily stick with it. Not rocket science I suppose!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

I try to finish most story based games but I never finish sports games tiger woods, forza, fifa, madden etc, I only buy them for the multiplayer. That's why unlockable content really bugs me, I don't want to have to spend weeks playing tiger woods just to unlock courses that I should be able to play from the start, i ****in paid for them. I spent a serious amount of time playing forza 2 (100+ hours mostly online) but I still never unlocked all the cars in career mode. I got round this by buying them from the on-line auction house but had to pay a premium.

I haven't finished infamous, just got completely bored of it. I bought fallout 3 the week it was released but never got round to playing it, it's one I keep meaning to get back to. I am a huge fallout 1 & 2 fan played through each dozens of times over the years, and even enjoyed tactics but I fear fallout 3 will pale in comparison and I just don't want to be disappointed so that's probably why I keep putting it off. There are other games I bought but never played for more than 5 minutes such as Star Wars the force unleashed and the Witcher.

Games I finished recently include Arkham Asylum, Uncharted 1 & 2 (just got a PS3), Killzone 2, GTA IV TBOGT. And I've played through Empire: Total war multiple times as different factions. ATM playing Dragon Age Origins (PC) and loving it, stayed up till 4am last night.

sink wrote: »

I bought fallout 3 the week it was released but never got round to playing it, it's one I keep meaning to get back to. I am a huge fallout 1 & 2 fan played through each dozens of times over the years, and even enjoyed tactics but I fear fallout 3 will pale in comparison and I just don't want to be disappointed so that's probably why I keep putting it off.

Did you give the reviews or general gamers opinions a miss on that?! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭xoxyx

Roar wrote: »
    i find as I get older I'm finishing less and less games. Maybe it's because I don't have time, maybe because I can buy a new game whenever I want...

I'm the same. I always finished a game when I was younger. Now, I've a zillion other things to be doing other than firing up the console. Also, when I was younger, I'd get maybe two/three games a year and they would have to keep me entertained. Now, there's so much choice and availability out there, I can get a new and more interesting game ten minutes after I buy the one I want - grass is always greener and so on.
    The one thing that horrifies me is that I got bored within a few days of the Wii Zelda game. I'm a complete Zelda lover - it has always been my favourite game. I feel a physical pang when I think of The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask. I loved that game but left it behind when I moved house. I got a copy on eBay but now my memory card won't work and you need it to play. However, I haven't had the time to order a new one yet! :(
    But, the Wii Zelda didn't do it for me. Maybe it's 'cause it looks too real - I can live with a cute cartoon Gamecube Link, but the Wii Link just doesn't seem right. But, I think the biggest problem is that I know if I get stuck, the answer is at my fingertips right on the internet. I realise it's a total waste of a game to check a walkthrough when I get in trouble; but it's so easy to do that, within an hour of playing the Wii Zelda when I couldn't find what I wanted, I thought "I don't have time to search all day - I can just find out this one thing on the internet". And then, the fun was taken away.
    I am a lot older than when I used to play the Gameboy under the duvet in bed so my mum couldn't catch me and when I just couldn't leave it for the night - but I don't think it's an age thing. It's more to do with not having time anymore and, to be honest, I could dedicate a whole day during a weekend to a game, but I'd keep thinking that there were other things I should be doing.
    So, no. I don't finish every game I play! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

Games with rpg-style character progression tend to get boring near the end if you make good choices earlier on. I've finished several of these games, where I've found the gameplay easy to the point of being tedious after a certain point: Bioshock, Deus Ex, Final Fantasy Tactics, Oblivion. It's a shame because they're all good games otherwise, and they all were challenging enough before you get some overpowered weapon or skillset, or combination of the two. I even started Bioshock on hard setting originally and had to restart on normal because at the start it was too difficult to be fun.
    Total War and Civilization games often have a very big gap between the point where you are clearly going to win the game, and actually winning it. In most instances with these I've gotten bored and stopped playing before completing it - Empire Total War being the most recent example.
    If a game just doesn't appeal to me in the first place I don't stick with it. Even if it's supposed to be a good game, eg: Company of Heroes, X3 or Morrowind (although I'll probably try the last one again after enjoying, for the most part, Oblivion)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

I have decided to complete all of my XBOX 360 games no matter what. I went through a rough patch when I got the Kung Fu Panda / Lego Indiana Jones pack because it was cheaper to pick up an extra controller with the bundle. But nothing has tested me like Conflict Denied Ops. Lame graphics, lame music, lame plot, lame voice acting, lame controls, lame gameplay. I don't know how I am going to tough this one out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Did you give the reviews or general gamers opinions a miss on that?! :confused:

I didn't think much of oblivion when everybody was raving about that. Fallout 3 is by the same crowd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I finished Kane And Lynch and Arkham Asylum and I pledged that I would try and finish every game I own.

I'd be playing through a game for a few days and then I'd see a bargain and I'd buy it and the same process goes on and on.

I've played through the first Gears of War and can't defeat that General Raam chap so I left it. I plan to go back to it and complete the game soon.

I got Assassins Creed a few weeks ago. It's not hard or anything and I'm pretty close to finishing it but it's so repetitive and I just keep avoiding it.

I will finish these games eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

Oh, two big ones I've yet to finish are Twilight Princess and Mario Galaxy. In fact, Mario's in my Wii right now...I should give it a go later!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Fnz wrote: »
    Just finished Half Life 2. Was playing it, on and off, for about a year.

No dedicate "throw grenade" and "melee" buttons made the game feel archaic. Switching to the crowbar every time I came upon a supply crate got old, fast.

Physics puzzles were annoying - I knew what to do but it was irritatingly time consuming top get all the pieces in place.

Friendly, but stupid, NPCs made ridiculous decisions all the time - at times causing me to fail the mission. The collision detection on friendly NPCs at times saw them form a nigh impenetrable barrier around Freeman when trying to navigate narrow corridors - "Pardon Me", "Sorry", "I'll get out of your way". Don't know if I ever died as a result of them getting in the way but I certainly lost health.

Finished it for the the story/characters mostly. It has some great moments but don't know whether I'll bother with the episodes, if they have these same, moment to moment, frustrations.

.... and I'm about to start playing Episode 2..... having completed Ep. 1 yesterday. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,159 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I like to finish games. I used to not be too bothered (there's still some PS2 games on my "to finish" pile), but this generation I'm much more picky. I've got out of the mindset that I need to have games on launch day, and tend to wait around until it drops below €40 at least.

Achievements have played a big part. Before them, I never replayed games on a harder setting. Now that there's an incentive though, I find the harder settings to be a nice challenge. Most recently, I felt Bionic Commando was an OK game on normal, but replaying and beating it on Commando (hardest difficulty) made me enjoy the game a lot more.

Multiplayer, on the other hand, has to grab me. If you want me to hang around with whining 13 year olds, you have to make it fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Will usually always finish games if I start them.

I can usually stomach mediocre graphics, gameplay or plot if at least 1 of those is above average. I've also found a lot of games save the best till last, with a fairly solid last act.

Games that have done this, that most would quit before completing:

Sonic: Unleashed (hugely underrated)
    Infernal
    Viking: Battle for Asgard
    Timeshift
    Fracture
    Dark Sector
    Turning Point: Fall of Liberty

In recent memory the only games I've purposefully quit have been:

Doom 3 (was jaded after playing Prey and Quake 4 back to back before it)
    inFamous (again, jaded from playing [prototype] and web of shadows before it)
    Golden Axe: Beast Rider: It failed to be above average in any 3 of the criteria I listed above.

EDIT:
    Most recently, I felt Bionic Commando was an OK game on normal, but replaying and beating it on Commando (hardest difficulty) made me enjoy the game a lot more.

Completely agree. Bionic Commando went from being an average game to being one of the few I really honestly enjoyed this year due to going for the Platinum. There was a greater sense of achievement completing it on the hardest difficulty (especially with those insta-gib, aimbot snipers :mad:) and that ending finale is also one of the few memorable ones from this year.

I really liked Bionic Commando as well. It certainly wasn't perfect but it was loads of fun and really didn't deserve to sell so badly and I feel sorry for Grin since they proved themselves to be a talented developer when they were given time to make a game and didn't have to churn out a film license to a deadline.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

I voted yes because I'm currently struggling through Operation Flashpoint 2 - which is pants, but on consideration, I give up on plenty of games.

Come to think of it, I've given up on good games also. Never bothered with BioShock, or Dead Space. Dunno why exactly, just stopped playing and never went back to them. Oh and STALKER - but thats because it was unplayably bad when it was released. Sham of a game. It looked like I've loved it as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

I rarely finish games that I like, I wouldn't consider it if I got sick of it.

Still have to finish:
    Half-Life
    Half-Life 2 both episodes, have Half-Life 2 finished
    Dead Space
    Fallout 3
    Mass Effect
    GTA IV
    Assassin's Creed
    Metroid Prime 3
    Super Mario Galaxy

Enjoy them but can never get around to finish them. I never attempt hard mode on anything and second playthroughs are a bit unknown to me at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

That_Guy wrote: »
    I've played through the first Gears of War and can't defeat that General Raam chap so I left it. I plan to go back to it and complete the game soon.

Raam is easy, just grab the Longshot, hide behind the crates and snipe the hell out of him. Try it again, you'll probably get it the first time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

I'm guilty of churning through a few games after the sheen has worn off them alright. Fallout 3 was the one for me most recently. I was loving the game early on and hastily bought Operation Anchorage (fairly poor) and Broken Steel. I continued to complete every side misssion and at one stage while strutting around with 20 odd weapons on me and more ammo for the guns then I'd ever use I started questioning why I was scavenging each level for **** I no longer needed. At that point the game began to wear on me and I powered through it to the end.

Far Cry 2 was the same. I actually regret finishing this one as it was not worth the effort involved. Timeshift is another one I got on the cheap and powered through. It had it's moments but just didn't live up for me.

I rarely abadnon a game although I did throw in the towel on Kane and Lynch to get a good trade in value on it and focus on better games.

Like others I generally have a game researched so know I'm going to like it but the odd time a game can out stay it's welcome.

Advertisement