Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Completing a game even though you're sick of it

Options
  • 03-11-2009 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭

Basically when I get a game I need to complete it,even if I lose total interest in the game I still have to keep going till the end. It nags me to leave a game unfinished.

How about yourself? Do you mind leaving a game or do you need to complete every game you started?

Near the end of tales of vesperia for xbox and its been boring as hell yet Im still playing it.

Do you stick with the game even if its a chore to play? 39 votes

Yep,play it through
    0% 0 votes
    No,waste of my time
    100% 39 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Trade it in for me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

I have no problem leaving a game unfinished if i lose interest, most recent example of this would be gta4, I am about half way through but just cant be bothered to go back to it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm a bit OCD about finishing games. I finished the Darkness and Kane and Lynch and they were both awful games. I also sank 60 hours into FFXII and finished despite the game boring me to big fat salty tears, partly because of the name attached. Also Legend of Dragoon is one of the worst, uninspired and boring games I've ever played but since I had a lot of spare time and loved my JRPGs I had to finish it. 60 hours I'll never get back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭koHd

I think I've only ever finished about 5 percent of all games I've played from atari right up to xbox 360 and PS3.

It needs to be really awesome right the way through or I'll Leave it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I never finish games. It takes alot to get me hooked on a game. Someday I will finish those games. Someday....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

I'm so terrible at leaving games unfinished, and it has only gotten worse recently due to having feck all free time to play games, so anything that challenges me in the least bit just gets put on the backburner. (Mirror's Edge, Dead Space and Bionic Commando recently)

These are games that I actually enjoyed playing, so imagine what I'm like with **** games!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I start loads, but finish very few.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,472 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Not any more. All thanks to Far Cry 2; I vowed to never persist with and complete a game I wasn't enjoying again, it's just not worth it.*

*Glares over at a pile of rubbish with the box of Operation Flashpoint 2 underneath.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭rejkin

Good to hear im not the only one who feels its a waste of time to complete a bad game, I guess the fact that most games I get get reviews and I keep saying to myself "it will get better" but it never does.

The last game that I played all the way through was fallout 3,its very rare to get a game I can stay focussed on for the whole run through.

I generally finish games and i even went through pain-staking(calling for the end) hours of Assassins Creed to finish it(using it as a trade in against something else).

But there have been a few of games i just couldnt bare to finish....
    Call of Juaraz and Splinter Cell: Double Agent spring straight to mind.

There was prob' tonnes from back in the day, but i think games that come out now are generally decent and we also have the quick access to review sites.

I wouldnt buy a game now without seeing positive vibes so maybe thats why i play through games more now, Call of Juaraz was only a ''slow period'' buy and i knew it wasnt great and my other two from recent times:Assasins Creed and Double Agent, were before the times i read reviews before purchasing, so it's rarely an issue now.

There would be a hell of a lot more added to that list though if i didn't read reviews and purchased on the name or box cover: Terminator:Salvation, Haze etc.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

No way would I keep playing, would have no problem leaving it.

Done it many a time, even with games I liked... just kinda fizz out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭rizzla

I try to finish every game I start, but there are some that I just can't get into. Biggest offender for me would be Dead Rising, I love zombies so feel the need to persist but it's just crap. Lost Planet aswell, wonder if it's just Capcom games.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Not any more. All thanks to Far Cry 2; I vowed to never persist with and complete a game I wasn't enjoying again, it's just not worth it.

Yeah that's another one that will never be completed, such a disappointing game.

Slightly related.....

What are peoples opinions of games that are difficult now?

I think the whole aspect of games being difficult only holds water with old games, as they didnt offer any story or varied content, that way they had replay value.

But now since the PS1 we have seen new forms of games come along where story telling and experience were premier and games became a ''interactive movie'' of sorts.

I personally hate games now that make parts difficult, i enjoy games that i can play through and enjoy the experience, i hate having to constantly restart sections over and over again, i feel it takes away from the game and usually ends up with the game been turned off. Now i'm not saying i like playing games on easy, i like a bit of a challenge but games that have sections that require multiple attempts to the point where gameplay gets slowed down annoy me.
    Call of Juaraz's duels being a prime example

Just tmans comment brought it to mind:so anything that challenges me in the least bit just gets put on the backburner. (Mirror's Edge, Dead Space and Bionic Commando recently)

Anybody still enjoy hard games(not many) or more so playing games on Hard difficulty?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,289 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'd complete most games I'd say, only if I'm seriously disliking it would I quit. RPGs sometimes can be left on the back burner, especially portable ones. Chrono Trigger and Joan D'Arc are two sitting unfinished, though I enjoy them greatly (Final Fantasy Tactics unstarted too). A game thats 50 hours plus really needs to be fantastic (Persona 3 or 4 as examples of epic games I felt were entirely worth the effort, but the unforgiving The Answer was a step too far) to hook me til the end. However, I did sink a hell of a lot of hours into Oblivion despite having serious issues with it. I still am not quite sure why.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Anybody still enjoy hard games(not many) or more so playing games on Hard difficulty?

Love hard games. I like nothing better than a game that challenges me while remaining fair. It takes a lot more effort to make a game harsh but fair than to make a piss easy 8 hour game. It's why I really enjoyed stuff like DMC3, Ninja Gaiden, Bionic Commando Rearmed, currently loving getting killed over and over in the brilliant Demons Souls and can't wait for Bayonetta.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    ... can't wait for Bayonetta.

Durrty!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭jasonbourme.cs

went with play it through coz have probly played through more than i've abandoned maybe on a 6-4 ratio .

most recently assassins creed , liked most aspects of the game ( the free-running , the fighting , the killing ) but the repetitiveness of the submissions and the future storyline just annoyed me to no end :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Menengroth™

i tend to finish most games tbh, unless they're diabolical.

still trying to get to the final boss of counter strike source

although i do have Bioshock sitting unfinished, i'm about 75% of the way through, and have been for the last 6 months! just cant motivate myself to finish it for some reason..

last good game i remember not finishing was Crimson Skies in 2000, and that was because my rollerball mouse wasnt good enough to pull off some of the flying!!

..might have to reinstall that....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Burgo wrote: »
    I have no problem leaving a game unfinished if i lose interest, most recent example of this would be gta4, I am about half way through but just cant be bothered to go back to it.
    Hah, exactly the same thing happened to me with that game ..... :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Depends on the game. An FPS or adventure game I'll just blaze through, but with RPGs you sometimes just have to stop. I put 30 hours into Tales of Vesperia before I could admit to myself that it's a bag of ****e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

I'll generally try to finish a game but, if it's really crap or just doesn't hold any interest for me, I won't bother. I really tried with the likes of Resident Evil 0 and Twin Snakes (went back to both twice) but just couldn't be bothered. Games of this generation that I haven't finished include Overlord (pretty boring) and Ninja Gaiden 2 (made it to the final boss battle but just too hard).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Love hard games. I like nothing better than a game that challenges me while remaining fair. It takes a lot more effort to make a game harsh but fair than to make a piss easy 8 hour game. It's why I really enjoyed stuff like DMC3, Ninja Gaiden, Bionic Commando Rearmed, currently loving getting killed over and over in the brilliant Demons Souls and can't wait for Bayonetta.

I'd be the total opposite. Hate really hard games (especially the hack and slash types). I play games to relax and enjoy myself not to be frustrated and annoyed. Am looking forward to Bayonettta though, demo was great.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,164 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I like nothing more than completing games but sometimes I get stuck on a boss or whatever and frustrates me and I just give up :( it happened me in tales of vesperia actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

Vyse wrote: »
    I'd be the total opposite. Hate really hard games (especially the hack and slash types). I play games to relax and enjoy myself not to be frustrated and annoyed. Am looking forward to Bayonettta though, demo was great.

Bayonetta is out in Japan and its got full english translation available...for those that really can't wait, though could look to getting an imported copy.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭rejkin

Difficulty spikes are one major contributer to stopping the game. I love a challenge in a game but a game where its nigh on impossible to beat is pointless

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

rejkin wrote: »
    Difficulty spikes are one major contributer to stopping the game. I love a challenge in a game but a game where its nigh on impossible to beat is pointless

Just Cause is the most recent offender I've come across in this area. I'd say I died maybe 3 or 4 times throughout the course of the game. Then the final series of missions hit... Tried and failed about 15 times... Haven't played it in months as a result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

A game needs to grab me and keep me i need a story and cut scenes and everything!!

Id rather have a little bit of a challenge but if it gets too hard i will loose interest.

Lately batman and infamous kept me going good story, nice graphics nice missons. You got involved.
    I got the darkness and completed it 1st game i completed on the ps3 actually, i kept going because the gore was there.

I only have the time nowadays to play in short bursts so the game needs to show promise fast.

Fallout 3 failed for me because its a time consumer, i gave up on it i know ill be shot for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Menengroth™

cabrwab wrote: »
    Fallout 3 failed for me because its a time consumer, i gave up on it i know ill be shot for that.

meet you out back in 15mins, firing squads on the way over, supply your own blindfold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

i find as I get older I'm finishing less and less games. Maybe it's because I don't have time, maybe because I can buy a new game whenever I want as opposed to saving up for ages to buy one when I was a kid, but compared to my 8 and 16 bit days where I finished everything I played (including some terrible, terrible **** on the Amstrad), the odds on me finishing a game I buy are slim

For example, I bought but didn't finish Ghostbusters, Uncharted 1, The Orange Box, Call of Duty 4, and bought and played once or twice before forgetting about them would be Madden 10, Burnout Paradise, Wipeout HD Pure, and probably more I can't think of at the moment. It's not that they're bad games though. It's that I can't be arsed with them.

Games I have finished over the past year I can count on one hand - Arkham Asylum, Metal Gear Solid 4 and Resident Evil 5.

To be honest, when I'm firing up the PS3 these days it's for Pro Evo, and even then it's only for multiplayer - I haven't played the Master League in about 5 years.

And to be even more honest, the main reason the ps3 is turned on is for streaming stuff from the PC!

I suppose it's just a time thing, maybe my attention span has shrunk.. who knows?

On an aside note I really want to play shadow of the colossus again, but stupid no backwards compatibility. I may spring for a second hand ps2 just to play it again.

Advertisement