Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Becoming a Real Runner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

menoscemo wrote: »
    Plan: 12 miles w 7 @ LT pace
    and it wasn't too hard to pick up the pace for 6 and 7. Splits: 6:52 (160), 6'48 (168), 6'53 (169), 6'48 (168), 7'15 (172), 6'47 (169), 6'40 (169) total: 7 miles in 48 minutes -6'52 av pace 168 av HR

6 sub 7:00 minute miles out of 7, wow, and that would have been 7 out of 7 but for the wind and hills. Stuff of dreams for me for now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

outforarun wrote: »
    6 sub 7:00 minute miles out of 7, wow, and that would have been 7 out of 7 but for the wind and hills. Stuff of dreams for me for now.

Keep trucking away, you'll get there. Your paces are almost exactly where I was at this time last year.

BTW I think you'll be closer to 70 than 75 in the 10 miler....

In My Opinion a recovery run is defined as having a fastest possible pace, nothing is too slow!!

I've more or less subscribed to that theory myself over the last 10 days or so. Certainly the part about fastest possible pace, I'm applying this for recovery, steady and LSR at the moment. Has made me far more disciplined about pace and ensures I don't go too fast which I think I've been guilty of a bit too often. I'm going to stick with this approach through Frank Duffy and the Dublin Half, see how I get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Well done on that session. I'm not looking forward to that one either. Tough running in this evening's wind too.

The 'general' guideline is that a recovery run should be around 40 minutes. 13 miles is going to be counter-productive, as it's not going to have the same positive impact (recovery, which is the reason for the run), even if your heart rate is in the right zone. I mean, why stop at 13 miles? If a longer recovery run is doing you no harm, why not clock up 20 miles and shed a few more pounds? Because ultimately it's miles without any real purpose and eventually they start working against you. A bit like playing poker. You can play the duff hands a couple of times, and sometimes, you'll get lucky, but in the long run you'll lose money (bit of a pointless analogy!). Anyway, who am I to talk? I'm just as frequently guilty of these types of runs. 20 mile recovery runs, all the way.. :)

BTW I think you'll be closer to 70 than 75 in the 10 miler....

thanks, I wish I had your faith, hopefully I'll feel more optimistic myself after next Saturday's run.

• Advertisement

Well done on that session. I'm not looking forward to that one either. Tough running in this evening's wind too.

The 'general' guideline is that a recovery run should be around 40 minutes. 13 miles is going to be counter-productive, as it's not going to have the same positive impact (recovery, which is the reason for the run), even if your heart rate is in the right zone. I mean, why stop at 13 miles? If a longer recovery run is doing you no harm, why not clock up 20 miles and shed a few more pounds? Because ultimately it's miles without any real purpose and eventually they start working against you. A bit like playing poker. You can play the duff hands a couple of times, and sometimes, you'll get lucky, but in the long run you'll lose money (bit of a pointless analogy!). Anyway, who am I to talk? I'm just as frequently guilty of these types of runs. 20 mile recovery runs, all the way.. :)

Another man calling me fat :mad:

Yeah I know in fairness that I shouldn't be doing a 13 mile 'recovery', but as I say I am a bit obsessive about getting the miles in, especially when I am off work and can rest/sleep all I need. Next week when I get back to work it is going to be really difficult to do the 70 mile weeks

We all clock up a few extra miles to get down to race weight. I ran my greatest weekly mileage last week and still managed to put on a few extra pounds. Lost it all again in the last 48 hours!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I see what you're talking about now Mrs Low. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Yeah I know in fairness that I shouldn't be doing a 13 mile 'recovery', but as I say I am a bit obsessive about getting the miles in, especially when I am off work and can rest/sleep all I need. Next week when I get back to work it is going to be really difficult to do the 70 mile weeks
    why not jsut edit the log entry and call it a "extra bonus mid-week medium long run" (EBMWLR's are the way to go) ;) problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Also I eat so much crap that I need to run a lot just to keep a steady weight.

This is the bit i don't get. I saw your post the other day on the 8 week thread and you ve lost something like 8 pounds - fair play. But why not keep it going? You said your happy where you are. And yes i am calling you fat:D

Your training is savage, your doing serious serious mileage putting in huge time and effort, so why not go that extra bit further. With the amount of miles your doing (and time your investing) to not be running sub 40 for 10k or sub 1'30 is a crime.

While i don't intend to turn this into a weight debate and no doubt someone will come along and say 'im 13 stone and i can run xyz'. But i think its worth going away and having a think about it to be honest. Look at the national athletics championships or any top end sport and you ll see they havent a pick on them. Someone like Alistair brownlee is around the same height as you (i think) and weighs 62kg. Im not saying to go that far but getting closer to that would be more ideal. I really dont think 11 stone 8lbs is a racing weight (at your height) for someone who is running 70mpw.

Anyway thats just my 2c and if your happy that fair enough i guess. Just getting out of bed at 8/9 on a sat/sun morning to run 20miles then being disppointed with a time makes no sense to me at all. Recovery, massage, weight and other aspects are just as important as doing miles.

Everybody has blow outs and bad days but getting it right 95% of the time will make a huge difference imho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

outforarun wrote: »

I struggled on a session in December to do 400m repeats at sub 7 min miles, keep plugging away on the tempo runs (as part of a balanced program) and you'll be flying in no time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Merging recovery runs like that probably can be considered as junk miles. However I'm guilty of doing similar things now and then with an eye on mileage. On the plus side you do get probably get some benefits such as increased running economy and weight loss. As long as it doesn't impede your planned sessions I'd say fire away within reason.

On the weight thing above (I wasn't commenting on yours by the way, have never really checked you out :)) I'd agree with kenny. Shift as much excess fat as you can. Have a look at my latest log post. I think I'll be counting calories and joining weight watchers soon

Just reread my post and actually agree with KCs more. I should have said merging recovery runs like you did now and then is OK if it doesn't impede on the rest of your week. It isn't ideal though. However I totally get why you did it. I think you said this week is down to be your highest mileage wise and mentally you probably want to make sure you don't miss out on this. I reckon marathon running is 90% mental so as long as it doesn't impact physically and you gain something mentally then it can be justified occasionally.

kennyb3 wrote: »
    This is the bit i don't get. I saw your post the other day on the 8 week thread and you ve lost something like 8 pounds - fair play. But why not keep it going? You said your happy where you are. And yes i am calling you fat:D

Hey Brian, Long time no here, how's tricks?
    Hey listen, I guess the problem with these logs is that every one of your random ramblings is open for criticism. Let's just say the 'I eat loads of crap food' comment should be taken with a pinch of salt. I am not saying my diet is 100% clean but it is a million times better than what it used to be.

Just for the record btw, I have lost 9lbs over the last 8 weeks, but more importantly 2.5 inches off the waist (34" to 31.5") and 4 % bodyfat (18%-14%) according to my scales
    kennyb3 wrote: »
    Your training is savage, your doing serious serious mileage putting in huge time and effort, so why not go that extra bit further. With the amount of miles your doing (and time your investing) to not be running sub 40 for 10k or sub 1'30 is a crime.

While i don't intend to turn this into a weight debate and no doubt someone will come along and say 'im 13 stone and i can run xyz'. But i think its worth going away and having a think about it to be honest. Look at the national athletics championships or any top end sport and you ll see they havent a pick on them. Someone like Alistair brownlee is around the same height as you (i think) and weighs 62kg. Im not saying to go that far but getting closer to that would be more ideal. I really dont think 11 stone 8lbs is a racing weight (at your height) for someone who is running 70mpw.

Anyway thats just my 2c and if your happy that fair enough i guess. Just getting out of bed at 8/9 on a sat/sun morning to run 20miles then being disppointed with a time makes no sense to me at all. Recovery, massage, weight and other aspects are just as important as doing miles.

Everybody has blow outs and bad days but getting it right 95% of the time will make a huge difference imho.

I have loads of mates my height who are 62kg or less, but I don't think I will ever be that guy (frankly I wouldn't want to be that light anyway). Their builds are tiny compared to mine. I'll continue doing the same things as I have been R.E. diet coming up to Berlin, but I won't sweat it. Hopefully I drop a few more pounds, but frankly in the past I have found a stumbling block once I hit 74kg (as I am now). It seems to be somewhat of a sweetspot for me, that i can't get below. (no trouble geting above it though if I let things slip :D)

As for times- I have no doubt that I could run either a sub 40 10k and/or a sun 1'30 HM right now if I rested right and tapered for them. But the big target for me is Berlin. I'll be most happy to break 3'10 there way above any of the 2 above goals. Look at The Road Runner, even he is struggling to match 10k times with the marathon mileage in the legs. I think you said to me last year when I was trying to break 20 minutes for 5k just before DCM 'eyes on the big prize'- well that's very much my attitude here.

All That said I'll have a pop at the 10k in September (doing the lakes 10k) and will give the 10 miler a good lash next week which should be a good HM indicator. There is no point beating myself up if I don't make it in those races though, it's to be expected with the miles in the legs and I'll have a look at those other goals after Berlin. I'll certainly be lining up Waterford HM in December for a sub 1'30 (or better) attempt

8.6 miles
    @ 8'39 pace (144) including about 6 sets of strides after 8 miles. Did the strides like I am supposed to for a change- ran the 8 miles then stopped by the apartment and ran the 100m's simultaneously at a nice pace with a 10-15 second jog recovery. Legs felt fine today after yesterday's LT session.

WTD 4 Runs 54.7 miles

Month|No. of days Runnning|Miles
    January|28/31|256.3
    February|24/28|236.9
    March|23/31|221.9
    April|22/30|150.2
    May|25/31|198.5
    June|24/30|173.2
    July|28/31|269.4
    August|10/11|125.7
    Total|183/224|1658.6

Niall,

Totally get what you mean about the way comments can be taken and hence i hope you know i wasnt having a pop or anything like that. I guess its easy for me to dip in and out of logs when i dont have my own saying do this or that. But also at the same time its also easier when your a step removed to see things more clearly.

I guess where im coming from is that you are doing 9-10hrs running a week at a rough guess never mind the time you spend thinking about it, planning it, showering etc after it. So i was just looking at the whole picture in order to make improvements.

To be honest i don't know your diet but the weight/fat loss the last 8 weeks is great and absolutely no reason why you cant be lighter framed or why you have to plateau. No reason you cant push on again and go further. I bet if you continued with such determination rather than just accepting your weight - you d end up lighter. there are always changes/improvements that can be made! I say that having done it myself - my 'sweet spot' weight was 11'7 last year all year but little changes and this year its just under 11.

Anyway i guess you are happy were you are at, which is cool, I suppose i just wanted to explain myself further so you didnt think i was being an a'ss. As you said eyes on the prize and i ve no doubt you ll be running 1'25 for a half and 38 mins for 10k either way this time next year but the comment on the weight loss thread just struck me as odd, then when i say the other bits i decided to chip in.

Anyway i ll leave it there, so best of luck with DCM. I might even see you at a race or two after!

Cheers Brian, I get where you are coming from. Maybe 11st is achievable, You are pretty much the same height and build as me at a guess. So I'll stick with it. Just the whole point of the weight loss challenge for me was to get back down to 'normal weight' (11.5stone).

Don't worry man, not offended at all.

I'm not racing DCM by the way (pacing it though).

Berlin is the target marathon ;)

Doh Berlin then! So many bloody logs. 11st is easily achievable. 10'10 even. Im hoping to be at 10'7 for next years cycling season sure but we will see - Easier to say than do!

Just reread my post and actually agree with KCs more. I should have said merging recovery runs like you did now and then is OK if it doesn't impede on the rest of your week. It isn't ideal though. However I totally get why you did it. I think you said this week is down to be your highest mileage wise and mentally you probably want to make sure you don't miss out on this. I reckon marathon running is 90% mental so as long as it doesn't impact physically and you gain something mentally then it can be justified occasionally.
    We should probably move this conversation out of Meno's log, but from a weight-loss perspective (not talking about you memoscemo (how to get a guy paranoid!)), the ideal way to shed weight is slow (recovery-type) mileage, if there's any truth to the fat-burning zones malarky. So maybe if there's no physical impact, then a 13 mile recovery could be the weigh way to go?

By the way, P&D seem to put a lot of credence in split recovery runs (6 miles a.m., 4 miles p.m.), so they obviously don't see it having the same negative impact as a 10 mile recovery run. Food for thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

By the way, P&D seem to put a lot of credence in split recovery runs (6 miles a.m., 4 miles p.m.), so they obviously don't see it having the same negative impact as a 10 mile recovery run. Food for thought.

I know I'm repeating myself but split recovery runs like these really work for me. Not so much on the weight side of things but definitely for recovery. I've even found I've extra flexibility if that makes sense. I was never a fan of twice daily runs but have changed my stance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Heck, i ask one question and it becomes an important discussion. :eek:

Must go back to the trivial stuff - Meno, whats your favourite colour?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

chinguetti wrote: »
    Must go back to the trivial stuff - Meno, whats your favourite colour?

Red and white - as long as it comes in a bottle of wine. Rose coloured if it's a really sunny day! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

I should take some of the rap for this extra long recovery run... If it's any help at all I am very grateful for the company..:)

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

claralara wrote: »
    Red and white - as long as it comes in a bottle of wine. Rose coloured if it's a really sunny day! ;)

Dunno if it has to be a sunny day for the rosé, I cracked open the bottle that came with my M&S dine in for two last night and it was damn nice :cool:

claralara wrote: »
    I should take some of the rap for this extra long recovery run... If it's any help at all I am very grateful for the company..:)

Rap on the knuckles for you :pac:

Red and white would be right btw, Tyrone and Man Utd Colours :D

I went to a comedy gig last night so turned up at 10 for this mornings run mildly hungover. Met with Mr Slow at first then with RQ after a loop of 3 miles. Everything was pretty much a struggle this morning, head, stomach and legs like lead, I could barely muster a sub 9 mile on the downhills. The plan was 15 but RQ and Mr Slow were quitting after 9 miles and I just had no will to go on anymore.
    Hopefully I'll get out for a few miles on Saturday or sunday to make 70 for the week, but I'll be very hungover then so that is wishful thinking.

Summary: 9.2 miles @ 9'09/mile

WTD 5 Runs 63.9 miles

January|28/31|256.3
    February|24/28|236.9
    March|23/31|221.9
    April|22/30|150.2
    May|25/31|198.5
    June|24/30|173.2
    July|28/31|269.4
    August|11/12|134.9
    Total|184/225|1667.8

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Rap on the knuckles for you :pac:

Red and white would be right btw, Tyrone and Man Utd Colours :D

How did Tyrone do against Dublin last week?

Mr Slow wrote: »
    How did Tyrone do against Dublin last week?

Not very well :o

Still my team though, they were before they started winning things so they still will be after they have finished winning things (hopefully only for a while).

Hopefully I'll get out for a few miles on Saturday or sunday to make 70 for the week, but I'll be very hungover then so that is wishful thinking.

I never did make it out for those extra few miles :rolleyes:

Well after a weekend of excess I just went out this evening for a 'blow the cobwebs off' Run. I expected to feel awful for it, but surprising I felt like my running style and breathing was very fluid and the pace was much faster than expected.

5.1 miles @ 7'53 pace (142 av HR) The plan for the rest of the week is to loosely follow the structure of the P&D programme but to be fairly fresh for Saturdays race. I'll probably ditch the mid week 15 miler and just do about 10 and use the extra 5 today to make up the difference...

WTD 1 Runs 5.1 miles

January|28/31|256.3
    February|24/28|236.9
    March|23/31|221.9
    April|22/30|150.2
    May|25/31|198.5
    June|24/30|173.2
    July|28/31|269.4
    August|12/15|140
    Total|185/228|1672.9

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Well after a weekend of excess I just went out this evening for a 'blow the cobwebs off' Run. I expected to feel awful for it, but surprising I felt like my running style and breathing was very fluid and the pace was much faster than expected.

I just wrote a near identical post :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Sometimes the old log is a bad thing. Ive found since Ive stopped logging my runs Ive made gains on the speed side of thing. If it keeps going i might give a marathon a stab this year.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement