Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Becoming a Real Runner

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Mr Slow wrote: »
    Sell it to Chinguetti and bring him into the 21st Century :P:pac:

He's still measuring runs with a stick and a bit of rope with a load of knots in it!

I've had an offer already from an anonymous member of the Public so chinguetti will have to keep using that rope for another while.

sold

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭chinguetti

menoscemo wrote: »
    I've had an offer already from an anonymous member of the Public so chinguetti will have to keep using that rope for another while.

sold

Funny enough but i was going to make an offer so i'm going to have to get a new stick and rope. I sold the old ones for €115 to a nice man earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

sure, i can always get another one off amazon. I stuck my old 405 in a bowl of rice for the last few days, the water seems to have disappeared and it has come back to life too. I can probably use that as a back up now.:D

You weren't supposed to use Ambrosia!

7.4 miles Back into work this morning. The Pace (9'08) makes it a recovery run but the HR (146 av) makes it GA. The effort was actually pretty similar to yesterday which was 1'20 per mile faster. This show's that:
    a) I hate early morning running
    b) Running uphill is much harder than downhill :P

WTD 4 runs 32.8 miles

Month|No. of days Runnning|Miles
    January|28/31|256.3
    February|24/28|236.9
    March|23/31|221.9
    April|22/30|150.2
    May|25/31|198.5
    June|24/30|173.2
    July|6/8|61.9
    Total|162/188|1325.4

7.15/mile seems like an awfully tough ask for PMP, so I had a feeling todays session would answer a few questions. I met up at the park this morning with jcsmum, average runner and Pistol. we did a 7 mile warm up which included picking up MrSlow and Vagga after 5. 7.1 miles @ 9.15 pace.
    At this point Mr Slow and myself launched into my PMP miles. I found the first mile and a half tough but settled into a rhythm after that and the rest felt 'ok' (I wouldn't say easy but not dead hard either). Mr slow slowly dropped behind me after a few miles but dug in well. The converstaion sort of died though as all I could get out of him was the odd 'I'm Dying'. after 6.5 miles I found myself 20-30m ahead for the first time as we ran into a stiff headwind, but fair play to Mr Slow he dug deep and caught me again with half a mile to go and we finished together. PMP Miles went: 8 miles @ 7.11 av pace (7.20, 7.14, 7.08, 7.14, 6.57, 7.12, 7.14, 7.11).

Half mile cool down jog back to the cars means 15.6 miles for the day.

So Where am I? the truth is I'm as unsure as before. The session was not as tough as expected. The HR this morning was too high for MP, but it was warm and I was dehydrated from last night's beer :P. Also i always find that I run the same pace to a lower Heartrate on the day. I guess I'll keep on training for a 3'10 marathon and I should know better on the day.

WTD 5 runs 48.4 miles

January|28/31|256.3
    February|24/28|236.9
    March|23/31|221.9
    April|22/30|150.2
    May|25/31|198.5
    June|24/30|173.2
    July|7/9|77.5
    Total|163/189|1341

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

Niall ur not the only when it comes to PMP running....Personally when training for previous marathons and doing runs with PMP miles I always end up saying to myself...How in gods name am I going to b able to run at this pace 4 26 miles :confused:...( Same think is happening atm 4 Berlin ) Trust me , with tapering, carb loading and the whole marathon day buzz these miles will b so much easier and in actual fact u could find urself running quicker that PMP in Berlin...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Did you do pmp miles in Phoenix park? Road or grass? Either way if it was in the park you are laughing. The park is way more hillier/undulating then Berlin is going to be. Train for 3.10 or faster. If closer to the time it's unrealistic adjust then. No point underselling/undertraining yourself.

Did you do pmp miles in Phoenix park? Road or grass? Either way if it was in the park you are laughing. The park is way more hillier/undulating then Berlin is going to be. Train for 3.10 or faster. If closer to the time it's unrealistic adjust then. No point underselling/undertraining yourself.

Cheers, RR. That's my plan to a tee, gonna stick at this pace for PMP and I'll know where I am before Berlin. I did the miles in the park yesterday but chose the flattest parts I could find, still probably hillier than Berlin (though the Garmin only gives 50ft over 8 miles)

5.4 miles @9'05 pace (129 Av HR). The Av HR is getting significantly lower at this pace which must be a good sign. Legs felt great today, could have went on for many more miles..

Weekly total 6 runs 53.8 miles

January|28/31|256.3
    February|24/28|236.9
    March|23/31|221.9
    April|22/30|150.2
    May|25/31|198.5
    June|24/30|173.2
    July|8/10|82.9
    Total|164/190|1346.4

Mr Slow wrote: »
    That's a brutal program, are you going to lash yourself with thorny vines on your LSR's too?

I remembered this quote when I looked at this weeks programme. It consists of a 15 miles and a 13 mile midweek Long run, a 10 miler with 5 @LT, an 18 mile LSR and 2 recovery runs :eek:. Realistically I had to get either the 15 or 13 miler done tonight to get through the programme. I have the 10mile (w 5LT) covered with the race on Saturday and I'll do the 18 on Sunday......

I decided tonight since I didn't get home to after 7pm to split the 15 mile run into two shorter GA runs and do the 13 on Wednesday or Thursday. This will mean running 7 days instead of 6, but it is too tough for me at the moment to follow the 70 mpw programme while working without splitting up some of the runs. I have 5 weeks off work from Friday so it'll be no problem to follow the programme to the letter from next week....

Tonight I did the first of the two GA runs. 7.4 miles @ 8.24/mile (138 av HR). The HR is definitely coming down significantly. That either means I am getting fitter or just that the new HRM that came with the new Garmin works better.

WTD 1 Run 7.4 miles

January|28/31|256.3
    February|24/28|236.9
    March|23/31|221.9
    April|22/30|150.2
    May|25/31|198.5
    June|24/30|173.2
    July|9/11|90.3
    Total|165/191|1353.8

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

I have 5 weeks off work from Friday so it'll be no problem to follow the programme to the letter from next week....

Not fair! I think I need to take the next 16 weeks off work...:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭slowsteady

claralara wrote: »

Up at 5.10am this morning to fit in a 10-miler. Can I get 16 weeks as well? :p

claralara wrote: »

How sad is it when I now see 5 weeks off work as a great opportunity to get some quality training in :o. How times have changed...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

How sad is it when I now see 5 weeks off work as a great opportunity to get some quality training in :o. How times have changed...

5 week of full time training :), niceone, I had last week off and basically just did the same. Perfect time in your plan to have such a good training phase, make sure you don't go mad on the beers and burgers while your off too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Sub 67 in the Frank Duffy then surely. If sub 3:10 is a runner in Berlin you'd want to be hitting that at least.

How the fck do you get 5 weeks holidays on top of all the ones you've taken for races? Not fair. Enjoy sleeping till lunchtime and getting up for home and away. Tis the life!

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

How the fck do you get 5 weeks holidays on top of all the ones you've taken for races? Not fair. Enjoy sleeping till lunchtime and getting up for home and away. Tis the life!

Just because deep down you enjoyed the dole lifestyle :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Sub 67 in the Frank Duffy then surely. If sub 3:10 is a runner in Berlin you'd want to be hitting that at least.

yeah about 67 is right. I got down to low 67 in a traiining run before barca, thats when i had a little bit of speed:D

Oisin11178 wrote: »
    yeah about 67 is right. I got down to low 67 in a traiining run before barca, thats when i had a little bit of speed:D

Yes but a 1'25 half (same as 64 for 10mls) wasn't enough for me to break 3'10 in Barca but everyone's different.

Given the difficulty of the course, I'll be happy to get the Mcmillan prescribed time for a 3'10 marathon. I think that is 67.50. That's why am planning to hit 34ish minutes on saturday, to get a feel for that and see if it is possible.

Yes but a 1'25 half (same as 64 for 10mls) wasn't enough for me to break 3'10 in Barca but everyone's different.

Yeah you need to factor in other stuff like endurance but if is grand for that with all the marathons. I think that was your major downfall to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

I'm the same as you, times over shorter distances don't scale up to marathon distance but I think that is because I haven't done the required training before.

To be honest most of my friends who still run would have been traditionally track runners and for the majority of them they have crap (relatively speaking) marathon times relative to their times over shorter distances such as 5k/10k. A couple of them would be 15 min 5k runners but failed to break 2.40.

I decided to bit the bullet after work today and head out to get the midweek ong run done. Headed from Rockbrook to marlay for a lap then took in Ballinteer, Dundrum, sandyford and Stepaside in before heading back to Rockbrook Via Ticknock. All in all a very hilly route and the legs felt tired by the end, I had no water for the run.

The garmin died when I was in Stepaside. Here are the stats up to then. 8.6 miles @8.25 pace (138 Av HR). Surprised again the Heart rate was so low, but I was working quite hard on a lot of the uphills. Map My Run confirms I covered at least 13 miles for the run in total, so I'll put myself down for that.

13 Miles

WTD 2 Runs 20.4 miles

January|28/31|256.3
    February|24/28|236.9
    March|23/31|221.9
    April|22/30|150.2
    May|25/31|198.5
    June|24/30|173.2
    July|10/12|103.3
    Total|166/192|1366.8

5 miles around the city centre @ 9min/mile (135 av HR). Found myself down at the docks after work, so I left the car parked and went for a run. Nice to take in new scenery.

WTD 3 Runs 25.4 miles

January|28/31|256.3
    February|24/28|236.9
    March|23/31|221.9
    April|22/30|150.2
    May|25/31|198.5
    June|24/30|173.2
    July|11/13|108.3
    Total|167/193|1371.8

7.5 miles @8'30is (140)
    Working late so I missed the club lads on their run out but caught up with a few in the park. I had been thinking of doing the intervals on the track but the legs were feeling heavy so I just chugged around for a few laps and made up for the other half of the 15 I was supposed to do on monday.

WTD 4 Runs 32.9 miles

January|28/31|256.3
    February|24/28|236.9
    March|23/31|221.9
    April|22/30|150.2
    May|25/31|198.5
    June|24/30|173.2
    July|12/14|115.8
    Total|168/194|1379.3

Since we're both using Saturday as a training run are you up for a who can get closer to our target time bet? (32'00 for me and 34'00 for you)

None of that walking over the line bs, pace must be kept faster than 8:00 min miling at all times after the first mile, you on? and for what?

Or are you planning to secretly race it!

Since we're both using Saturday as a training run are you up for a who can get closer to our target time bet? (32'00 for me and 34'00 for you)

None of that walking over the line bs, pace must be kept faster than 8:00 min miling at all times after the first mile, you on? and for what?

Or are you planning to secretly race it!

You're on. My goal will be 33'55. We can spend the afternoon waiting for the chip times to come out in ryans :pac: €20?

You're on. My goal will be 33'55. We can spend the afternoon waiting for the chip times to come out in ryans :pac: €20?

Fair enough, i'll say 31'55 for the record so. A euro a second up to a max of 20 euro you think? Same as we had in Limerick when you cheated :p Or is that a wuss bet?

Fair enough, i'll say 31'55 for the record so. A euro a second up to a max of 20 euro you think? Same as we had in Limerick when you cheated :p Or is that a wuss bet?

I never cheated, you just never defined any rules. Different thing completely :P

Yeah that sounds ok.
    Gonna be tough to do the mental arithmetic going up the Kyber at that pace. Obviously only the person who is furthest out pays up? If you are 10 seconds out, and I am 5 out, you pay me €10 ok?

I never cheated, you just never defined any rules. Different thing completely :P

Yeah that sounds ok.
    Gonna be tough to do the mental arithmetic going up the Kyber at that pace. Obviously only the person who is furthest out pays up? If you are 10 seconds out, and I am 5 out, you pay me €10 ok?

You were such a big cheatin bast*rd, you know what you did!

Ya sound, i agree to that. No injury excuses. Garmin will be necessary to prove pace at finish, although i'll be waiting for you this time to see with my own eyes!

• Advertisement

You two need to get girlfriends asap. Never seen anything like it.:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement