Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Becoming a Real Runner

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

RAL3 wrote: »
    In fairness it worked fairly well in that the two of us ended up with that group for the last 2 miles so it was a job well done as far as i am concerned.

Yeah there were a couple of guys right at the back of the group who were in danger of dropping off/walking. One in particular was panting badly and kept telling me to go on, even when there was only half a mile left. We were well up at that stage so I was able to stay with him and coax him home.

I was trying to even pace btw, just when I saw we were well off at 16k I feared the course may be going to end up a bit long (That's not unusual btw. I measured last years Dublin Half at 13.25 miles by the Garmin...)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

menoscemo wrote: »
    I was able to stay with him and coax him home.

Coax? Full Metal Jacket Style no doubt!

Mr Slow wrote: »
    Coax? Full Metal Jacket Style no doubt!

Nope, he didn't need to be shouted at, he was basically dying and was already giving his all. I used the good Cop Approach :cool:

Pretty wrecked today, not just the legs, but me in general. I really need a good nights sleep (working till near midnight last night).

I had planned to go down to the club tonight and do about 8-10 miles with the lads, but got late out of work and wasn't feeling up to the distance and/or pace.

In the end I just did a very short recovery run near the appartment.

3 miles @9'30 pace (av HR 124, max 133) don't think my Hr has ever been so low, though the legs just didn't feel like going any faster.

WTD 1 run 3 miles

Month|No. of days Runnning|Miles
    January|28/31|256.3
    February|24/28|236.9
    March|23/31|221.9
    April|22/30|150.2
    May|25/31|198.5
    June|24/30|173.2
    July|3/4|32.1
    Total|158/184|1295.6

11 Miles tonight including the Tallaght AC 1 miler.
    Met up with some of the club lads tonight and did a nice 4 mile warm up loop followed by about 2 miles warm up on the track with Woddle. Woddle was down for the clubs 800m race and I decided to join the mile race. I brought the spikes down and tried them for the first time. I was promptly told the spikes were too long for the track and a quick warm up confirmed them to be very uncomfortable. I ended up having to do the race in lunarglides. Woddle told me to take the first lap easy which I did. I found myself dead last (of 6or 7) at the start and thought some of the lads would come back to me. Sadly they never did. Still 82 seconds after 1 lap said 5'30ish was on but the legs were feeling dead. Felt like giving up already as the legs would just not respond. The breathing was fine throughout which I knew was not right, I just couldn't speed up. Plodded around to 5'55 which was dead last. All inidications of other races suggest 5'40 at worst so this is really disappointing, but the legs were just too tired tonight.

In other news the garmin is pretty much dead. It has had a broken strap for the week and water has got in. Today it had 90% battery this morning, but the time kept freezing all day. It was working for the warm up but giving me low battery warnings, so I switched it off to keep it for the mile race but only managed to log 3 laps before dying. Gonna order a 305 asap.

4 miles warm down after the race for the 11 mile total.

I am gonna put tonight's race down as a warning of being tired and keep the rest of the runs easy this week. I have a PMP run on Saturday so I need to be fresh.... To put tonight in perspective I was running 6'02s and 6'03s as mile repeats about a month ago in marlay park so to only take 7 seconds off in a 1 mile track race is just not right...I think after the 2 mile reps last week and tonight's race the club guys have me pegged as a long distance plodder with no pace :o

WTD 2 runs 14 miles

January|28/31|256.3
    February|24/28|236.9
    March|23/31|221.9
    April|22/30|150.2
    May|25/31|198.5
    June|24/30|173.2
    July|4/5|43.1
    Total|160/185|1306.6

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Woddle told me to take the first lap easy which I did.

and don't forget take it out hard for the 3rd :D

I'm glad you're not being too hard on yourself cause talking to you yesterday you were nackered tired and the body obviously wasn't a 100%.
    At least you have some track and mile race experience whether you enjoyed it or not is another thing :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

What garmin model do you have currently? My 405 was fecked and out of warranty and I was given a brand new replacement for 85 euro with 1 yr warranty might be worth emaing them.

What garmin model do you have currently? My 405 was fecked and out of warranty and I was given a brand new replacement for 85 euro with 1 yr warranty might be worth emaing them.

:o Feck it's a 405 as well. Just over 2 years old I think. I am so impatient though, I have already ordered a 305 on amazon. In fairness it is only €100 and tbh, I'd rather have a 305. Longer battery life no bezel and 4 displays at a time on the screen.

Edit, out of interest, who would I email?

I rang them up gave credit card details, and they expressed posted it out. Had it in 3 days. I love the bezel :)

No need to email them actually just ring uk support line.

• Advertisement

No need to email them actually just ring uk support line.

Cool, I might do that and have a spare. Rotate the Garmins like they were trainers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

All inidications of other races suggest 5'40 at worst so this is really disappointing

To put tonight in perspective I was running 6'02s and 6'03s as mile repeats about a month ago in marlay park so to only take 7 seconds off in a 1 mile track race is just not right...I think after the 2 mile reps last week and tonight's race the club guys have me pegged as a long distance plodder with no pace

I dont buy it and neither should you. You start thinking things like, ah Im just a plodder or a hacker or an also ran or Im just not fast then all those things will come true. Im not saying bury your head in the sand and pretend that you're Usain bolt, but you do have to be fair to yourself and not limit severly what you can and cant do.
    You've got a group to work with and most of them are faster than you. You can look at that two ways, you could get down on yourself and say things like those mentioned above(just a plodder, hacker, no speed etc) or you could look at it as a gift, which it is. You're actually in a great position, you can use those guys to drag you kicking and screaming up to the next level. Im not saying its gonna be pleasent, it'll be hard work, but it will be very rewarding. Im in the same position myself, Im training with a group of lads who are all faster than me at the moment. The first week I trained with them they left me for dead on 600s. But gradually bit by bit Im staying with them a little longer each time. And thats hows its done, you tell yourself that no matter what, you'll stay with the faster guys for so long and the next time you commit to staying with them a little longer. Bit by bit, thats how you get faster. So pick somebody out of that group and make a promise to yourself that no matter what you'll stay on that persons shoulder for this amount of time or for a certain amount of reps.

Cheers Eoin, you're dead right. I didn't mean to sound negative, just that I have had two bad sessions in a Row but i know I can do better and am determined to do so. I look forward to progressing and surprising a few.

If you believe you can or you can't you're right!

Mr Slow wrote: »
    If you believe you can or you can't you're right!

I don't believe I am a plodder, just that from the little they've seen of me, some of the ones down in Tallaght AC do now. I know I can improve (or maybe I have got the Raycun Curse :P)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Oi! The curse is a serious matter, not to be bandied about!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Well none of us think your a plodder and its good you don't have that mindset. You need to remember that training with a club is a totally different level from what your used to on here. I regularly trail in well down during training reps and it does knock your confidence a bit. Just be wary of getting drawn into races during training sessions, happens all the time. It will take a few months before you notice the difference in fitness or a few years in Ray's case

Just as well you joined a club cause Mr. Slow would have overtaken you otherwise, he may do anyway :p

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

It's all part of my long-term plan to represent Ireland as an M50

Just as well you joined a club cause Mr. Slow would have overtaken you otherwise, he may do anyway :p

My goal is to pass you all!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

RayCun wrote: »
    my long-term plan to represent Ireland as an M50

Can I be the toll bridge? :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Well none of us think your a plodder
    Yea, we think your a whole pile of things, but plodder is not one of them :pac:

11.4 miles @7.49 pace (HR 149). Took yesterday off and felt a million times better today. Ran home from work taking in a loop of Tymon park to make up a MLR.

I ordered a 305 from Amazon which has been dispatched. Got a surprise call yesterday offering an as new 405 for €50 so I snapped his hand off. Will most likely send the 305 straight back when it come and get a refund. Unless someone wants to offer me €100 for it?

WTD 3 runs 25.4 miles

January|28/31|256.3
    February|24/28|236.9
    March|23/31|221.9
    April|22/30|150.2
    May|25/31|198.5
    June|24/30|173.2
    July|5/7|54.5
    Total|161/187|1318

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

You could probably make profit on that 305...

Is the new 405 snot coloured?

You could probably make profit on that 305...

Is the new 405 snot coloured?

Nope, Black. Tell me, how can I make a profit? It cost me around €115, but I'll probably lose about €10 posting it back, so I'd happily give it to someone for €100 to save me the hassle.

do you mean sell it on ebay or soething?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Yeah, plenty of 305's on ebay for over €100.

Yeah, plenty of 305's on ebay for over €100.

couldn't be arsed with the hassle. I'll give it to you for €100 if you want and you can sell it on?:pac:

couldn't be arsed with the hassle. I'll give it to you for €100 if you want and you can sell it on?:pac:

Sell it to Chinguetti and bring him into the 21st Century :P:pac:

He's still measuring runs with a stick and a bit of rope with a load of knots in it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

Would you be wise to keep the 305 for when the 405 gives up. There hopeless, straps break, battery life will fade quickly, rain gets in etc., whereas the 305 will go on and on, there very robust. I've had my 205 for over 2 years, dropped it, wore it in the rain - snow, knocked it off walls and its still as new. Apart from its size there still the best spec Garmin has produced. Put it away when it arrives, and use the 405 for now, you'll be glad in the long run (no pun intended:rolleyes:).

gerard65 wrote: »
    Would you be wise to keep the 305 for when the 405 gives up. There hopeless, straps break, battery life will fade quickly, rain gets in etc., whereas the 305 will go on and on, there very robust. I've had my 205 for over 2 years, dropped it, wore it in the rain - snow, knocked it off walls and its still as new. Apart from its size there still the best spec Garmin has produced. Put it away when it arrives, and use the 405 for now, you'll be glad in the long run (no pun intended:rolleyes:).

sure, i can always get another one off amazon. I stuck my old 405 in a bowl of rice for the last few days, the water seems to have disappeared and it has come back to life too. I can probably use that as a back up now.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

Wear both at the same time to be sure, to be sure:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement