Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One step at a time

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Sosa wrote:
    No,thats the good part.
    The last 7 weeks i have done 10 LSR's and 4 mediums.
    This week is mini taper,so no LSR and next week is a recovery week,no LSR there either (thats when the 7.5m is on)
    Then the 5m is 2 weeks before cork...only a 12 and 14 that week,i could do one early in the week and the other the day after the race.
    I think i will go for it.
    I was thinking more of the timing of the LSRs, rather than the number of them you have done. Will you still get a solid LSR with three weeks to go (ie. 20-22 miles)?.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

I was thinking more of the timing of the LSRs, rather than the number of them you have done. Will you still get a solid LSR with three weeks to go (ie. 20-22 miles)?.

Yeah i will,the 7.5m race is on Sat May 8th,so the monday after that is 4 weeks to Cork.
    That Week is my toughest of the program with 2x20's in it.
    On the Wed i have 3m easy and then [EMAIL="3x5m@pmp"]3x5m@pmp[/EMAIL] with 2 mins jog inbetween and finishing with 2 easy.
    then on the Sunday i do 10 easy and finish with 10 @ pmp.
    Thats the last 20 i do,3 weeks and 1 day from Cork
    Now you see why it would be madness to race on the Saturday before that.
    The 5m i was talking about is 6 days after the last LSR.
    Its all so confusing

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

You've given me a head-ache. Still, it'll all be worthwhile, when you hit the 20 mile marker in Cork, and realize that you now have 50 minutes to complete the last 10k and you're feeling great.

You've given me a head-ache. Still, it'll all be worthwhile, when you hit the 20 mile marker in Cork, and realize that you now have 50 minutes to complete the last 10k and you're feeling great.

I gave myself a headache trying to type it all down...but yeah...hopefully it will be worthwhile.

Date|Miles|Ave pace|Type|Weather|Weeks to Cork
    26-04-10|6.2|7:26|Aerobic|Dull but very warm|6
    27-04-10|10.5|6:43p Overall|Vo2|Very warm but very windy|6
    28-04-10|||||6
    29-04-10|||||6
    30-04-10|||||6
    01-05-10|||||6
    02-05-10|||||6

J£sus this was a wake up call...
    First 2m in 7:30 & 7:18
    Next 2m in 6:03,6:03
    2 min jog
    Next 2m in 6:12,6:00
    2 min jog
    Next 2m in 5:56,5:56
    Last 2m in 7:58 & 7:32

Felt sluggish starting off anyway,but i get that quite a bit,but usually get going after half a mile or something,didnt get a chance this morning.
    The first 2m were grand,then off i went.comfortable for the first 0.5m then i took the left turn at ballindud and headed out the tramore road where a howling gale was trying its best to blow me back up home,so i had 1.5m of that uphill to get to my first rest....It was the hardest 2m i have done in a long time...the rest came and went and off i went again,into the same howling gale and uphill still,kept going as best i could knowing that i was only doing 1 more mile into the wind and then i was turning around and going home the same way i came,that mile was harder than the other 2 i did,managed 6:12,but it felt slower and was happy when i checked it when i came home.
    Lovely 2 min jog then before i had the wind on my back and down the hills i just came up so i happily knocked out 2x5:56 miles to finish.
    I was flogged after it,more so than any race i have done this year.
    Now,the hills are not severe,but are still hills...and that wind made them serious hills today.
    Really happy to be here typing this now and not out there still.
    Not much else happening now for the rest of the week in the lead up to Wexford.

Long 16+|Med 12-16|Aerobic|Vo2|Recovery|Race|Total
    10|3|19|3|8|1|44

Wk 1|Wk 2|Wk 3|Wk 4|Wk 5|Wk 6
    61|58.23|58.47|58.7|60.2|62|

Wk 7|Wk 8|Wk 9|Wk 10|Wk 11|Wk 12
    55.5||||||

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭aero2k

Sosa wrote: »
    Its an all out race,something i wanted and something he said also.

I dont really know what i will end up with.
    I wont be happy with anything over 82 mins,
    would be content for 81-81:59
    very happy with 80-80:59
    and the holy grail is sub 80.

Sub 80 will be tough going,and i hear the this half is fairly hilly,so not favourable for your best time,but i will be trying,just hope its not to hot on the day.
    Sub 80 may have to wait for later in the year.
    Hi Sosa,

I reckon you'll be a safe bet for the 82, and sub 80 if it's not too hot/hilly. I managed 85 in the Adidas Half last year, 4 weeks before DCM (first race where I managed to hit my target - exactly!) and my training was nowhere near as good quality as your recent stuff has been, plus I was recovering from illness. And your recent 10 was very impressive.
    At the time I wasn't sure if a half so close to the marathon was a good idea, but in retrospect it was no problem at all, so I reckon you're safe giving it a good lash.
    Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

a howling gale was trying its best to blow me back up home,so i had 1.5m of that uphill to get to my first rest....It was the hardest 2m i have done in a long time...
    and off i went again,into the same howling gale and uphill still,kept going as best i could knowing that i was only doing 1 more mile into the wind and then i was turning around and going home the same way i came,that mile was harder than the other 2 i did,managed 6:12,but it felt slower and was happy when i checked it when i came home.
    Lovely 2 min jog then before i had the wind on my back and down the hills i just came up so i happily knocked out 2x5:56 miles to finish.
    I was flogged after it,more so than any race i have done this year.

Further to what Krusty was suggesting yesterday about constant effort rather than constant pace, do you think you did the first 3 miles far too hard and the last 3 miles far too easy? I read something somewhere before that runners tend to power up hills and recover running downhill - but that this tactic will kill you in a marathon where glycogen conservation is of utmost importance.

If your PMP is 6:00 and you burn 100cal/ml at PMP, with a 70/30 glycogen/fat split, and you run 1mile uphill & 1 mile then downhill, if you power up the hill and recover downhill you will have used 100 cals of glycogen on the uphill mile, as you're well into anaerobic zone, and burn maybe 65 on the downhill meaning you used 165 of valuable glycogen. If you eased off on the uphill (6:20) and ran 5:40 downhill, you would have used only 140 cals glycogen. It all adds up over the course of a marathon.

I think you probably ran the first 3 miles at 10k pace and the last 3 miles at 25k pace.

Gringo78 wrote: »
    I think you probably ran the first 3 miles at 10k pace and the last 3 miles at 25k pace.

Did you mean 10k effort ?
    I ran 5:50p back in Feb for a 10k,so it was not pace but it felt like effort,but i hear what your saying about running on effort rather than pace.good point.
    Im still really bad at pacing,hence the last 2m @ 5:56 today,i didnt want to do that,it just happened as i was grinding to where i could slow down again.
    I will have to watch that Sunday or i will blow up.
    I planned it well for the dungarvan 10m,i did the first 2m in 6:12 and 6:10 but still averaged 6:04 overall.
    I might adopt a similar strategy Sunday but that may mean missing out on a time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

Did you mean 10k effort ?
    I ran 5:50p back in Feb for a 10k,so it was not pace but it felt like effort,but i hear what your saying about running on effort rather than pace.good point.
    Im still really bad at pacing,hence the last 2m @ 5:56 today,i didnt want to do that,it just happened as i was grinding to where i could slow down again.
    I will have to watch that Sunday or i will blow up.
    I planned it well for the dungarvan 10m,i did the first 2m in 6:12 and 6:10 but still averaged 6:04 overall.
    I might adopt a similar strategy Sunday but that may mean missing out on a time.

yeah meant 10k effort rather than pace. There was nothing wrong with the 2 miles at 5:56...I mean they were with the wind so to be HM effort, they had to be faster than 6:00 pace.

How's about 6:10 pace for first 2 miles, then 6:07 pace for next 3, then 5 more miles at 6:05 pace to get to 10 mile mark at just over 61min. Then 6:03 pace for 2 miles and hold 6:00 pace for last 1.11 - Total: 79:51.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

yeah meant 10k effort rather than pace. There was nothing wrong with the 2 miles at 5:56...I mean they were with the wind so to be HM effort, they had to be faster than 6:00 pace.

How's about 6:10 pace for first 2 miles, then 6:07 pace for next 3, then 5 more miles at 6:05 pace to get to 10 mile mark at just over 61min. Then 6:03 pace for 2 miles and hold 6:00 pace for last 1.11 - Total: 79:51.

Here is the elevation profile from last years wexford half - i don't know if the course is the same or not, presume it is.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/5489028

There are three climbs from mile 4 - 8 and the first of those is significant, but the other two aren't speed bumps either. But if you can get over those with your legs intact...its pretty good from there on in.

• Advertisement

Sounds good Gringo,but with my pacing skills,unlikely.

asimonov wrote: »
    Here is the elevation profile from last years wexford half - i don't know if the course is the same or not, presume it is.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/5489028

There are three climbs from mile 4 - 8 and the first of those is significant, but the other two aren't speed bumps either. But if you can get over those with your legs intact...its pretty good from there on in.

Thanks for that asimonov...i'll have a more detailed look at that later

28-04-10|6|7:26|Aerobic|Same as yesterday|6
    29-04-10|||||6
    30-04-10|||||6
    01-05-10|||||6
    02-05-10|||||6

Delighted to have a nice handy run after yesterdays efforts.
    Felt good all the way and really enjoyed it.

10|3|20|3|8|1|45

55.5||||||

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Hi Sosa,
    Just catching up on your log now Im afraid. Some really good training there man. What are you shooting for in wexford? Myself and misty Floyd did that race last year and we really enjoyed it. I wanted to race Kildare half this year so I wont be there this sunday.
    Looking forward to seeing how you'll do in Cork.

tunguska wrote: »
    Hi Sosa,
    Just catching up on your log now Im afraid. Some really good training there man. What are you shooting for in wexford? Myself and misty Floyd did that race last year and we really enjoyed it. I wanted to race Kildare half this year so I wont be there this sunday.
    Looking forward to seeing how you'll do in Cork.

I have turned into a conservative racer since Dublin,Tunguska
    It cost me sub 60 in Dungarvan...i did 60:36...but i finish strong,which i had not been doing in races previous.
    So with that in mind,minimum requirement 81:59...
    Sub 81 i will be delighted with.
    Sub 80 is a very slim chance...depends on me on the day,how i start,weather,route...
    I would need to start as i mean to go on,and these days i am just to cautious of blowing up.
    Thanks...
    I am looking forward to seeing how i get on in Cork aswell !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

I have turned into a conservative racer since Dublin,Tunguska
    It cost me sub 60 in Dungarvan...i did 60:36...but i finish strong,which i had not been doing in races previous.
    So with that in mind,minimum requirement 81:59...
    Sub 81 i will be delighted with.
    Sub 80 is a very slim chance...depends on me on the day,how i start,weather,route...
    I would need to start as i mean to go on,and these days i am just to cautious of blowing up.
    Thanks...
    I am looking forward to seeing how i get on in Cork aswell !

Youre being very conservative Sosa. I did 1:21:55 in that race last year. To put that into perspective, I was only running 3 days/week. I was training for a tri-athlon at the time and so I was spending most of my time working on my dodgy swimming technique and cycling. It was August before I ditched the swimming and cycling and focused on the running. My point is, the training you've been doing is way, way better than what I was doing this time last year. I think you're selling yourself very short Sosa. I think sub 80mins is absolutley doable for you, at the very least sub 80. I mean you did 60mins for 10miles............dont mean to pressure you and of course its your race, but again, I think youre being a little too cautious. Although in fairness thats coming from somebody who maybe isnt cautious enough. I dunno, try leave the door open in the race at the very least, if youre feeling good, go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

tunguska wrote: »
    Youre being very conservative Sosa. I did 1:21:55 in that race last year. To put that into perspective, I was only running 3 days/week. I was training for a tri-athlon at the time and so I was spending most of my time working on my dodgy swimming technique and cycling. It was August before I ditched the swimming and cycling and focused on the running. My point is, the training you've been doing is way, way better than what I was doing this time last year. I think you're selling yourself very short Sosa. I think sub 80mins is absolutley doable for you, at the very least sub 80. I mean you did 60mins for 10miles............dont mean to pressure you and of course its your race, but again, I think youre being a little too cautious. Although in fairness thats coming from somebody who maybe isnt cautious enough. I dunno, try leave the door open in the race at the very least, if youre feeling good, go for it.

+1, fwiw, I was also in a 'conservative groove' until recently, when I ran a crap race for not trying hard enough because I was afraid I'd blow up, only to finish with loads left in the tank and totally pissed off.
    I think you need to have faith in your training and your abilities. You are knocking on the door of sub 60 for 10mls, and thats also with gas to spare, so imo sub 80 is there for the taking. If you go for it, could you blow up. Of course you could, as you know, a lot depends on the day, but at least you'll know you tried, and I don't think its going to mean you running 84 or 85 mins.
    Also, bare in mind what your ultimate goal is, these races should all be leading up to that, now is the time to experiment.

GO FOR IT :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

Q. If u were to run the dungarvan 10 on sunday morning, what time do you think you'd do this time?

My thinking 59:xx for sure, what does that translate to off mcmillan calculator for 13.1 miles, aim for that time !!

tisnotover wrote: »
    Q. If u were to run the dungarvan 10 on sunday morning, what time do you think you'd do this time?

My thinking 59:xx for sure, what does that translate to off mcmillan calculator for 13.1 miles, aim for that time !!

If i was to run a 10 miler this w/e....i would obviously go for sub 60,but to achieve that i would have to set off at slowest 6:05 for the first 2m,thats what i didnt do the last time,i was 6:12/6:10...that was 22s over 60 mins already...i only finished up 36s over....
    Not that easy to rattle out an extra 3.1 of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭tergat

If i was to run a 10 miler this w/e....i would obviously go for sub 60,but to achieve that i would have to set off at slowest 6:05 for the first 2m,thats what i didnt do the last time,i was 6:12/6:10...that was 22s over 60 mins already...i only finished up 36s over....
    Not that easy to rattle out an extra 3.1 of those.

Sosa,

The key word here is BELIEF. Have confidence in your training it has gone very well and you are ready to go. The strength you have gained from the long runs and big workouts will stand to you in the final miles, just wait and see.

Start out at 6.05 a mile for 1st 4-5 miles staying in control and then drop to 6.00 for next 4-5 and then only at 10 miles do you drop below 6.00 and bring it home. By dropping the miles by 5-10 secs it wont affect you like dropping from 6.10 a mile to 5.50.

Dont force things on any uphill miles and keep relaxed, always positive and never panic. Practice your marathon pre race morning routine on Sunday also and find what works for you.

We look forward to hearing about your sub 81 min run on Sunday evening. Best of luck.

Tergat

• Advertisement

tergat wrote: »
    Sosa,

The key word here is BELIEF. Have confidence in your training it has gone very well and you are ready to go. The strength you have gained from the long runs and big workouts will stand to you in the final miles, just wait and see.

Start out at 6.05 a mile for 1st 4-5 miles staying in control and then drop to 6.00 for next 4-5 and then only at 10 miles do you drop below 6.00 and bring it home. By dropping the miles by 5-10 secs it wont affect you like dropping from 6.10 a mile to 5.50.

Dont force things on any uphill miles and keep relaxed, always positive and never panic. Practice your marathon pre race morning routine on Sunday also and find what works for you.

We look forward to hearing about your sub 81 min run on Sunday evening. Best of luck.

Tergat

Thanks Tergat,
    I will give it a go alright,see how it pans out.
    I like the thought of planning out my pre marathon routine as it will be similar.
    I have to get up early,drive and hour (90 mins for Cork ) on my own,get my gear ready,warm up,what to drink/eat that early,good nights sleep the night before...and all that stuff.
    I do feel strong from the big workouts though,they have been getting easier to handle...we will see on Sunday
    Thanks again

29-04-10|Rest||||6
    30-04-10|4|7:10|Aerobic|Nice light drizzle|6
    01-05-10|||||6
    02-05-10|Race||||6

After yesterdays rest i was rearing to go this morning,but with only 4m to do today it was not much of a run,average was quicker than my recent easy runs through the days rest and i took a high5 gel before it (may use one or two on Sunday) to try them out,it didnt say isotonic on the packet but was surprisingly watery none the less,so will try another one tomorrow morning and make my mind up then.

10|3|21|3|8|1|46

55.5||||||

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

All the best for Sunday Sosa, some great advice there by Tergat !

Will look forward to reading the race report.

tisnotover wrote: »
    All the best for Sunday Sosa, some great advice there by Tergat !

Will look forward to reading the race report.

As Usual !

Best of luck to you aswell,Tissy...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

good luck sosa

whatever happens you are going to run a time that shouts sub 3!

thats all that matters.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

Good luck Sosa - you'll nail it

29-04-10|Rest||||6
    01-05-10|5|8:01|Recovery|Bright and very warm|6
    02-05-10|Race||||6

Out with Sungod and another friend of ours for a casual 5 in lovely conditions and nice quiet country roads this morning,nice chat along the way and great to see Sungod running again,i think i could count on one hand how many runs we have been on in the last 12 months,he used to hound me when i started running,maybe i need to start hounding him now...payback time :D

10|3|21|3|9|1|47

55.5||||||

29-04-10|Rest||||6
    01-05-10|5|8:01|Recovery|Bright and very warm|6
    [EMAIL="02-05-10|15.1|w/13.1@6:33|Race|Very windy|6"]02-05-10|15.1|w/13.1@6:33|Race|Very windy|6[/EMAIL]

I said if i was over 82 mins i would not be happy,so i am really not happy in that sense.
    Finished in 85:55 i think....but i was in the top 10 ( my first time )

750 participants was shouted out over the mega phone,loads of fellas looking serious at the start and looking the part.
    We started in a hotel carpark heading over a bridge,the race was only 30s old and i was laready on my own,looked back going over the bridge and nobody coming with me and i was hardly setting the world on fire with the pace.
    Mile one a steady 6:05...moving well,there was a fella ahead of me and i decided to go keep in touch with him as there was no-one else in sight.
    Mile 2 slower in 6:12...still going well just tuned out a bit.
    Mile 3 another 6:12 going along with who i thought was going to stay with me,but he dropped back alarmingly when he saw the hill,i think he walked some of it,because i never saw him again.
    Halfway through mile 4 and we came to the first of what felt like 3000 hills,and it was a humdinger...slow mile 5,only 7:00...could not go faster up this monster with the wind blowing me backwards aswell.
    The holy grail of sub 80 was gone the minute i saw this hill....sub 81 was gone as soon as i got up it,had a look around at the top...still nobody in sight,this was going to be a long day.
    First 5m in 32:04....not to bad,but not good either.
    I wont bore ye with the next 3m as they were riddled with hills,wind,no runners,a sprinkle of people clapping..i might as well have been out the tramore road doing an LSR...
    Got to 8m in 51:53,all aspirations gone at that stage,not heart to push on,the wind was not appealing :D
    Mile 9 and 10 i just clipped along around 6:50 pace,nice and handy,all the serious hills seemed to be gone,more rolling roads now but still windy
    Got to 10 in 65:19...i laughed out loud when i saw the time,i have run quicker in traning runs in the past.
    At this stage i heard footsteps,i thought i was dreaming,seemed to be getting closer,then the leading lady went by,she was moving well,i had no interest in going with her,wished her all the best,had a look over my shoulder and surprise surprise saw nobody,so let her know she was in the clear.
    Mile 11 6:46,Mile 12 6:46 and Mile 13 6:51 ....could have pushed on for these last few but i was so pissed off and bored i just clipped home.
    The last 2m i had no idea where i was going,when we got back into wexford town i was lost,out on the road,with cars coming at me and behind me,they sent me up through the city centre on pedestrian paving,fellas outside pubs giving me strange looks,people in cafe's taking a glance ant the lone ranger running up through there town on his own,seemed to go on forever but finally someone told me to take a left which brought me down to the finish on the quays.

All in all not even close to what i wanted.
    Its not a course for your best time even if the wind was not there.
    Its also very hard/demoralising to try keep a good pace on your own.
    The legs were fine,i was puffing hard on the hills alright,but the heart was not in it today.
    The best i could have done today i think would have been 84 mins.
    I chose to clip along for a few miles where i could have got some time back,but 84/85/86 whats the difference ?

It will be interesting to see the winners time.
    They introduced him at the start and said he ran 72 mins last year.

I was to take a big recovery week this week,i will have to give the chap a ring that did up the program for me and see what will i do.
    I feel i could go out now and run a few miles handy enough.

No big drama,the big day is in 5 weeks

10|3|21|3|9|2|48

55.5|46.8|||||

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Thats not where you are at.........So disapointed for you.........seems you have something....What you think ???....you have stamina so there is something up. Glad it aint in 5 weeks time.
    you have the training done. as tergat said. belief in yourself. Put it as a bad day.I should know this year. friend of mine ran 79 that ran 2.53 3 weeks ago and he said it was very hilly and the wind was a curse. as you know you wont have those hills in cork. I would give the 7.5 mile a skip nxt week and do the 10km in youghal 23rd may which is a pb course. Would be ideal to give a confidence builder for cork. trust your training.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

Glad you said "no big drama", because it isn't. It shows you have your mind right and that its focused on the big prize. We all have days like this, best to get it out of the way. Sounds like it was the most un-ideal conditions to run in ......... high winds, hills & by yourself for most of it.

Advertisement