Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade and Retro forum beers! (AKA the night of the scandalously drunk retro geeks)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'm guessing it's also the PAL version. In that case I'm not definitely not going.

I hear they are holding a Darius competition next month, first prize is 6 trillion dollars!

You in? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,870 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Pyongyang wrote: »
    I hear they are holding a Darius competition next month, first prize is 6 trillion dollars!

You in? :D

Darius Alpha??? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

DinoRex wrote: »
    Well let's pencil in the 10th or the 11th for now.

Those dates suit anyone else?

Not me sadly as i am spreading the word of the almighty Boulder Dash to the U.K

Might dress up like this guy:D

0.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

I'm guessing it's also the PAL version. In that case I'm not definitely not going.

Doesn't make much of a difference imo, it doesn't run full screen in 60hz either and the turbo setting kinda negates the slowness. Would prefer if it was NTSC too of course...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Sparks43 wrote: »
    Not me sadly as i am spreading the word of the almighty Boulder Dash to the U.K

Might dress up like this guy:D

0.jpg

Isn't he in One Direction now?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,568 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

That's the darndest looking safety car I've ever seen!

"Quick Paddy, run faster!"

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    If Dino is determined to host the next one I'll do one in September instead.
    I'll try to free my dance card for the 10/11th.
    If he can't I'd be happy to plan something... food, drink, giant Boulder Dash....

Of course on the off chance that I do actually manage to find someone to move in within the next week I may have to postpone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

Achilles wrote: »
    I might take you up on that, living in Dun Laoghaire myself, you near here?

Not really but we can figure something out:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Achilles wrote: »
    It is.

Its on the SNES?? Jesus christ...

• Registered Users Posts: 34,698 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I'll go one worse - I heard about a SF2 tourney on in Katie's on Bray seafront.

Went along for the craic, but refused to play when I saw what it was.

Not a Snes, no, even worse - one of those all-in-one game units which you plug directly into the TV.

And that's not the end of it, it was a Megadrive all in one unit. With a THREE BUTTON PAD.

Remember the horror of that?

Punch, punch punch

'****, I want to kick!'

/Presses the start button to toggle to the kick buttons

Kick kick kick

'****, now I need to punch!'

Totally unplayable.

• Advertisement

Well in Bray it could have been one worse again and just been an actual street fight.

Steve SI wrote: »
    Darius Alpha??? :D

That would actually make for a great tournament game!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,870 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Pyongyang wrote: »
    That would actually make for a great tournament game!

Except its utter $hit

Steve SI wrote: »
    Except its utter $hit.

It's better than Salmonhamburger!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,698 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I keep hearing Darius Alpha is a load of crap.

What's so bad about it? I've never given it a go in an emulator.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,128 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

o1s1n wrote: »
    I keep hearing Darius Alpha is a load of crap.

What's so bad about it? I've never given it a go in an emulator.

It's just a boss rush game. there's nothing else to it. It's really limited. Also it's based on the older Darius games and Darius was rubbish until Darius Gaiden... Fact.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,297 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Giant mecha fish are cool the first few times. Then its just lazy. Then its just embarassing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,128 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Except when they have names like 'Lunatic Sardine'. Engrish makes everything original.

You're all in denial! Darius is the original and best! Nothing is ever quite the same in terms of the original elder shooting games after you've played Darius and Darius II the way they were meant to be played, in their proper, original cabinets in a Japanese arcade with posters of King Fossil on the walls.

Salmonhamburger? Gradius?

PAH! I fart in your general direction(s)!!! :)

p.s: I'm saving my best material for the podcast debate. DARIUS. THE SULTAN. THE LEGEND.

THE BEST.

THE END. :)

Gradius came first and Darius was just a poor Gradius clone which tried to make up for the lack of a decent power up system with gimmicky fish bosses and a wide screen.

Podcast should be fun :)

• Advertisement

Darius was just a poor Gradius clone

2007-05-06%20Not-really-listening.gif

Okay definitely good to go for Saturday by the way for whoever can make it along.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

DinoRex wrote: »
    Okay definitely good to go for Saturday by the way for whoever can make it along.
    I'm going up Saturday for definite so we'll (Retr0) go

I suppose I'll have to bring Sera along :P

I have a spare room now as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

can we please even Dinorex once, we haven't played it in ages

• Registered Users Posts: 9,213 ✭✭✭MrVestek

So where's this on? Any chance I could scab a lift off someone?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,568 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'll probably be there, working on it as we speak, I'm on duty so I'll have to see what state I'm in.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,297 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I shall register my interest, barring the curse of ENOW of course.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I shall register my interest, barring the curse of ENOW of course.

If you've registered your interest, your fully entitled to be classified as a no show.

Also, the law of ENOW has been quiet lately, perhaps this time it'll strike :D

Advertisement