Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fog Lamp Regulations

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

kodute wrote: »
    Grinds my gears... Was behind a golf driver the other night who had their rear fog on because their rear lights didn't work! :mad: Thankfully their brake lights did.

At yes the whole I'm a lazy bastard and haven't got one of my lights replaced...shame some people keep this going for many weeks or months and its very dangerous!

Pisses me off no end

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

It BeeMee wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure it's the two door? Two bright red lights over the numberplate area, fairly central on the back.

Could be wrong - hard to see the model behind all that red glow :D

Since you couldn't make it out it's likely it wasn't a Civic!

There's no 2-door in this market, so I presume you mean the 3/5-door, which only comes with one rear fog light.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭blackbox

JHMEG wrote: »
    You might provide some links to the Statute Book or other legislation, as I don't believe there is a basis for anything other than headlights and foglights in Irish law.

In legal terms, spotlights are "full headlamps" as in
    full headlights: the normal headlights (sometimes in an additional lamp) with a full beam. Only to be used while driving at night when there is no danger of blinding other traffic.

They should be wired so that they go off when you dip your lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭blackbox

As a matter of interest, can anyone advise what is the specification for a "daylight running light" and how it is distinguished from a foglamp?

How do the Gardai tell the difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭It BeeMee

Since you couldn't make it out it's likely it wasn't a Civic!

There's no 2-door in this market, so I presume you mean the 3/5-door, which only comes with one rear fog light.

The 3 door version.

And the same link you provide has instructions on how to add a second.
    It's not inconceivable that anyone that insists on using their rear fogs all the time will take the time to hook up the second one, is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

blackbox wrote: »
    As a matter of interest, can anyone advise what is the specification for a "daylight running light" and how it is distinguished from a foglamp?

How do the Gardai tell the difference?

A DRL (in a special housing and not a dimmed down dipped light) has no specific beam pattern, it's just a bright light. A foglight bends the beam to illuminate a short, wide field in front of the car. A DLR just shines directly ahead. But because it has far less power (mine have 7.5 W LED's, a foglight has 50 W) it doesn't blind you.

DLR's have a special "RL" mark on the glass which specifies them as running lights. Aftermarket daytime running lights without the "RL" mark are illegal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Tragedy

I've played around with my front+rear fogs on an empty road at night. I really don't see the point of the front fogs, as peasant says > it illuminates right in front of the car, which the beams do anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

cascade35 wrote: »
    What is the defensive driving course?

Here:

http://www.nifast.ie/driver_training/index.htm

or here:

http://www.ism.ie/index.php?page=advanced_driving

A lot of company car insurers insist that companies put their employess on these type of training/assessment courses every two years in order to avail of a discount. If you have completed the ISM one you may be intitled to a discount off your own personal insurance as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

It BeeMee wrote: »
    It's not inconceivable that anyone that insists on using their rear fogs all the time will take the time to hook up the second one, is it?

Aye, but you apportioned blame to Honda.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Onkle wrote: »
    Berty have you completed the 'Defensive Driving' course in work? Most people in our trade have to do it. When I did it I was told to turn on my fogs during the day, in essence use them as DRL's

Nope. They just hand me the keys to the car and say "off you go" :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

cascade35 wrote: »
    What is the defensive driving course?

'Don't tailgate, don't speed, watch out for people pulling out in front of you'

That's about 90% of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

That's about 90% of it

I bet you threw about 85% of it out the window on the way home :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

I bet you threw about 85% of it out the window on the way home :pac:

I don't tailgate, if they don't get out of my way I drive over them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Berty wrote: »
    Some people argue on these forums that fog lights are essential when driving in heavy rain.

I find that when it's raining, foglights tend to glare on the wet road, causing even more irritation than in the dry.
    Thats all good and well because these people understand how to switch on and off fog lights. Then there are the people who just turn the dial and switch on everything their car has to offer not knowing what kind of lights they have even switched on.

Thankfully a lot of cars automaticly shut off the rear fogs with the ignition, so it has to be manually turned on each time. Unfortunately the same cannot be said for front fogs.
    Then there was the L Driver last night in Bruff Co Limerick driving along in the instructors car with the fog lights on. They were stopped in traffic so I said "You know fog lights are illegal to use and not the best example for the learner" to which she replied "oh on the country roads you need them to see the pot holes"

Proof that driving instructors need to have some kind of qualification to teach, rather than morons perpetating the problems by teaching their own bad habits.

In reference to the "spot lights", these MUST have a seperate switch to allow them to be turned off, and must also be linked to full beams so that when the full beams are turned off, so are the spots.

Fog lights are for reduced visibility such as fog and snow (the clue is in the name). They should not be used instead of dimmed lights, as seen by a lot of clueless muppets and more than a few taxi drivers (I personally hold the view that anyone doing this should be charges with driving without consideration for other road users).

Parking lights, which in newer Audis are the row of LEDs and in BMW are the "Angel Eyes", are to allow the vehicle be seen when stopped and unoccupied where visibility may be bad. In some cars the lights on one side will light up if the car is parked at a slant, such as 2 wheels up on the footpath.

It is, I have been reliably informed by a member of the traffic corps, illegal to have lights above 3' off the ground. It is also illegal to have any colour other than white, yellow or orange lights on the front of your vehicle, and red, white and orange on the rear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭cascade35

That's about 90% of it

Sounds like very placid driving to me!lol

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭It BeeMee

Aye, but you apportioned blame to Honda.

Fair point, apologies.

Fey! wrote: »
    It is also illegal to have any colour other than white, yellow or orange lights on the front of your vehicle, and red, white and orange on the rear.

If this was enforced, along with penalties for incorrect use of foglights or any defective lighting, the GTC would hit their targets* within a few hours...

*if such targets did exist, of course

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

I always give cars coming towards me a few seconds to dip their lights before I give them a flash.
    I waited a few seconds a few weeks back and the car coming towards me still had their full beams on after 3-4 seconds so I gave them a quick flash. No response. Gave them another flash as it was getting dangerous as I couldnt see a thing and still nothing. I started giving a few consecutive flashes and then they copped on and dipped them. Turned out it was a white Avensis with big Garda stickers on it. :pac:
    peasant wrote: »

parking lights: dim bulbs at the front, normal rear lights. To be used when parking in unlit/dangerous areas. In some cars these are wired that only one side of the vehicle can be lit. They are not supposed to be used for driving.

Not true, its perfectly acceptable to drive with your parking lights on, essentially the same as DRLs. In fact I would recommend that they be turned on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Jack O'Neill

Rules of the Road State -

"It is good practice to use dipped headlights or dim/dip lights, where fitted, instead of only sidelights in built-up areas where there is good street lighting."

"Use fog lights only during dense fog and falling snow. You must turn them off at all other times"

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement