Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fog Lamp Regulations

Options
  • 30-10-2009 2:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭

In the " If you could make a new road traffic law what would it be? thread", Fog Lamps proved to be a hot topic. It got me wondering what exactly the law in Ireland is re: use of and installation (regulation of) Fog Lamps.

Currently I have 2 white (front) fog lamps and 1 red (rear) fog lamp on my Golf. Would I, for instance be allowed to change the front lamps to yellow bulbs like in this picture http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i133/Cjt1986/DSC00376.jpg ?

Also, what exactly are the laws re using fog lamps when driving? Visibility less than 100m or 50m?

Any input appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

wexican wrote: »
    In the " If you could make a new road traffic law what would it be? thread", Fog Lamps proved to be a hot topic. It got me wondering what exactly the law in Ireland is re: use of and installation (regulation of) Fog Lamps.

Currently I have 2 white (front) fog lamps and 1 red (rear) fog lamp on my Golf. Would I, for instance be allowed to change the front lamps to yellow bulbs like in this picture http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i133/Cjt1986/DSC00376.jpg ?

Also, what exactly are the laws re using fog lamps when driving? Visibility less than 100m or 50m?

Any input appreciated.

If my memory serves me right they may only be used in fog or falling snow.....but for the life of me I cannot find it in the statute book. I'll have to look when im back to work.

Section 51A RTA 1961-06 is what is used to prosecute for them. €80 and 2 penalty points for the FCPS.....bit harsh IMO but I have to agree they are annoying!!!

1 point and €80 for fog lights!!!

White and yellow are legal in accordance with the vehicle lighting regulations

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Whats the difference(legally) between foglights and spots?

Tragedy wrote: »

Same thing. They are not high enough/power full enough to be headlights

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Tragedy

So if a car has spots fitted(as different from front fogs), it's illegal to use them outside snow/fog?

So if a car has spots fitted(as different from front fogs), it's illegal to use them outside snow/fog?

Yep. It can also come under inessential lights, I.E. all the LED lights you see on the front of trucks are illegal andsome are being prosecuted at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

What about Audi or Mercedes LED dot lighting, or BMW angel eyes, there has to be a line drawn surely. All of the above are inessential.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Rej

I always use a general rule of thumb that if I can see the rear lights of 6 cars, then I dont need them.. obviously this only applies when driving in traffic :)

On a bit of an aside - I hate when people use their front fogs as a regular lights!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭cascade35

People using rear fog lights for no reason is even worse than using the front ones.
    Was behind a car recently, it was raining heavy(unusual)he put on the rear fog light as soon as he saw me behind him and left it on.
    Very studit and dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I forsee this thread going off in an awful direction so I may as well add my 2 cents.

Some people argue on these forums that fog lights are essential when driving in heavy rain.

Thats all good and well because these people understand how to switch on and off fog lights. Then there are the people who just turn the dial and switch on everything their car has to offer not knowing what kind of lights they have even switched on.

Then there was the L Driver last night in Bruff Co Limerick driving along in the instructors car with the fog lights on. They were stopped in traffic so I said "You know fog lights are illegal to use and not the best example for the learner" to which she replied "oh on the country roads you need them to see the pot holes"

Trucks with LEDs are not annoying except of late where trucks are using flashing LED's. Red's LED's are illegal and only to be used by emergency vehicles and recovery vehicles not on the back of trucks. Some have the white LEDs on the front but they are cheap a*ss units are flash near blue instead of white giving you a false belief as you approach them.

I have not have my fog lights on in nearly a year. No fog for me equals no lights but I do not have a problem with people who use their fog lights. I am not blinded by them unless its an Impreza or a Nissan Micra.

What hope have we got when learner drivers are been told to use fog lights to light up pot holes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

There's a big difference in spots and fog lamps....
    "[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Spots have a crystal clear lens and are used when main beam is used. Fog lamps have pattern len and are used when there is poor visibility and can only work when the sidelights are on"[/FONT] Uk regs but follow suit over here.

Fog lamps are not to be used unless conditions dictate that you should ,due to the fact they are too bright and should be aimed at a different angle to spots.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

there is no such thing as "spots". The following lights can be found on a road legal car:

daytime running lights: Front lights only that come on as soon as the ignition is on and go off as soon as any of the "proper" lights are switched on

parking lights: dim bulbs at the front, normal rear lights. To be used when parking in unlit/dangerous areas. In some cars these are wired that only one side of the vehicle can be lit. They are not supposed to be used for driving

dipped headlights: normal front lights with an assymetrical beam pattern. To be used when driving in bad visibility or at night when there is oncoming traffic

full headlights: the normal headlights (sometimes in an additional lamp) with a full beam. Only to be used while driving at night when there is no danger of blinding other traffic.

front foglights: usually mounted low on the vehicle with a wide and short beam. Only to be used in fog (or heavy snow). The beam pattern is designed to shine under the fog and give you a view of the edge and the lines on the road. normal headlamps get reflected in the fog and just turn your view into a white wall, foglams help to light up the road and the edges so thatyou have some orientation.

rear foglights: one or two extra bright red rear lights to be used in thick fog only. The extra bright bulbs penetrate thick fog and make your car visible better for traffic from behind.

auxiliary driving lamps: these are extra full beam lamps that only may come on when full headlights are selected. Additional lights for dipped beam are illegal

and then there may be working lights that are only legal to use when the vehicle is off the road and/or stationary

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Berty wrote: »
    Then there are the people who just turn the dial and switch on everything their car has to offer not knowing what kind of lights they have even switched on.

There are a lot of people out there like that. I would be of the opinion that you should know what every light on your dashboard means. If you don't understand the indicator for the foglights then learn it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,543 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

If my memory serves me right they may only be used in fog or falling snow.....but for the life of me I cannot find it in the statute book. I'll have to look when im back to work.

Section 51A RTA 1961-06 is what is used to prosecute for them. €80 and 2 penalty points for the FCPS.....bit harsh IMO but I have to agree they are annoying!!!

My understanding is that it is against the spirit, but not the letter of the law to use foglights outside of fog or snow. IIRC the statute refers to foglights as being "designed for" use as above, but contains no specific prohibition on their use in other conditions.

edit: section 51 would seem to apply to being drunk on a horse and cart or bicycle!

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭wexican

Thanks nga. Interesting to hear about the penalty points. Seems quite harsh indeed.

The laws on vehicle lighting has always intrigued me, especialy when I see bue-ish or green-ish hue headlights, yellow fogs etc!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭kuro_man

fog lights are used for

1. foggy/snowy conditions
    2. light mist/rain
    3. Nissan Micras (maybe they can't be turned off)
    4. Warning faster cars on the motorway that you are not going to move to the inside lane to let them pass
    5. To compensate for the blown bulb that you haven't got around to replacing
    6. to be REALLY visible and therefore extra safe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

I've no problem with front fog lights if they are pointing DOWN. As they should be! And the amount of cars with mis-aligned headlight that are leathal in rain etc for dazzling.

I'd be safe in saying that only 10% or less of people actually check their lights (or know how to use them correctly!).

OT but was behind a Golf the other day and NO brake lights working. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Berty wrote: »
    Then there are the people who just turn the dial and switch on everything their car has to offer not knowing what kind of lights they have even switched on.

Well done Honda for having a rear-fog light that switches off when the engine is turned off requiring it to be manually switched on again when you restart.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Dacelonid

kuro_man wrote: »
    fog lights are used for

3. Nissan Micras (maybe they can't be turned off)

Not sure about newer models, but in the 2002 model, the fog light controls are on the stalk with the main lights, and it is very easy to accidentally turn them on, and there is no light on the dash to say the front fogs are on, there is only a light for the rear ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Berty have you completed the 'Defensive Driving' course in work? Most people in our trade have to do it. When I did it I was told to turn on my fogs during the day, in essence use them as DRL's

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

peasant wrote: »
    there is no such thing as "spots". The following lights can be found on a road legal car:

daytime running lights: Front lights only that come on as soon as the ignition is on and go off as soon as any of the "proper" lights are switched on

parking lights: dim bulbs at the front, normal rear lights. To be used when parking in unlit/dangerous areas. In some cars these are wired that only one side of the vehicle can be lit. They are not supposed to be used for driving

dipped headlights: normal front lights with an assymetrical beam pattern. To be used when driving in bad visibility or at night when there is oncoming traffic

full headlights: the normal headlights (sometimes in an additional lamp) with a full beam. Only to be used while driving at night when there is no danger of blinding other traffic.

front foglights: usually mounted low on the vehicle with a wide and short beam. Only to be used in fog (or heavy snow). The beam pattern is designed to shine under the fog and give you a view of the edge and the lines on the road. normal headlamps get reflected in the fog and just turn your view into a white wall, foglams help to light up the road and the edges so thatyou have some orientation.

rear foglights: one or two extra bright red rear lights to be used in thick fog only. The extra bright bulbs penetrate thick fog and make your car visible better for traffic from behind.

auxiliary driving lamps: these are extra full beam lamps that only may come on when full headlights are selected. Additional lights for dipped beam are illegal

and then there may be working lights that are only legal to use when the vehicle is off the road and/or stationary

You might provide some links to the Statute Book or other legislation, as I don't believe there is a basis for anything other than headlights and foglights in Irish law.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭It BeeMee

Sleipnir wrote: »
    Well done Honda for having a rear-fog light that switches off when the engine is turned off requiring it to be manually switched on again when you restart.

But not so well done on having 2 brightfoglights in the middle of the rear of a civic...

On VAG cars you have to pull out the light switch to turn on the fogs. When you turn off your lights, the switch moves back into "home" position. Hence the next time you need to pull out the switch to turn on the fogs again.

Is it me or do spotlights seem to be a rare thing these days? Remember when you could buy a front grill for your car with the spots built in? These were wired to come on only when the headlights were on full beam, so the chances of blinding someone were minimised.

Edit: Peasant's list describes these as auxiliary driving lamps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

It BeeMee wrote: »
    But not so well done on having 2 brightfoglights in the middle of the rear of a civic...
    Which model is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

I had a clown with full beams & fogs on behind me this morning at 8:45am, blinding me. I flashed my rear fogs (as he couldn't understand my wild gesticulations) when stopped at the lights, but he only managed to dip the full beams.
    To me, that clown looked at his dash, and saw two notification lights - one for full beams and one for fogs, but he choose to ignore one. Why? Bloody clown. :mad:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

My understanding is that it is against the spirit, but not the letter of the law to use foglights outside of fog or snow. IIRC the statute refers to foglights as being "designed for" use as above, but contains no specific prohibition on their use in other conditions.

Incorrect. It's actually law.

S.I. No. 189/1963:

ROAD TRAFFIC (LIGHTING OF VEHICLES) REGULATIONS, 1963
    PART VI

(8) Where a vehicle equipped with a fog lamp within the meaning of article 44 of these Regulations is used in a public place, such lamp shall be used only in fog or while snow is falling.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭avalon68

And the amount of cars with mis-aligned headlight that are leathal in rain etc for dazzling.

I have to say this annoys me far more than fog lights, especially when people replace one of their bulbs with high powered blinding lights (as many seem to do). I was driving on a really dark, but straight road last night and an oncoming car had lights as bright as ones you would see on a football pitch. I thought he was on fulls so i gave him a little flash, and then he flashed me back with his fulls....my retinas still hurt! ANyway, his lights nearly caused an accident, I had to slow down - couldnt see out of the car. A car approached me from behind at speed. At the same time (thankfully!) I noticed something moving on the side of the road (An elderly man walking home). I had to swerve, the car behind me had to swerve to avoid hitting into the back of me. When he swerved out he suddenly became blinded by the lights of the oncoming car (which was still a ways off). So eventually there were three cars stopped in the middle of the road and one very terrified old man. I gave out to the guy about his lights and his only response was I need them to see where Im going and then he drove off! Couldnt see anything wrong with having lights that bright at all after nearly causing an accident!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭It BeeMee

JHMEG wrote: »
    Which model is that?

I'm pretty sure it's the two door? Two bright red lights over the numberplate area, fairly central on the back.

Could be wrong - hard to see the model behind all that red glow :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,543 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Paulw wrote: »
    Incorrect. It's actually law.

S.I. No. 189/1963:

ROAD TRAFFIC (LIGHTING OF VEHICLES) REGULATIONS, 1963
    PART VI

(8) Where a vehicle equipped with a fog lamp within the meaning of article 44 of these Regulations is used in a public place, such lamp shall be used only in fog or while snow is falling.

Cheers. Interesting that it only applies to front fogs though.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

kuro_man wrote: »
    fog lights are used for
    5. To compensate for the blown bulb that you haven't got around to replacing

Grinds my gears... Was behind a golf driver the other night who had their rear fog on because their rear lights didn't work! :mad: Thankfully their brake lights did.

• Advertisement

Onkle wrote: »
    Berty have you completed the 'Defensive Driving' course in work? Most people in our trade have to do it. When I did it I was told to turn on my fogs during the day, in essence use them as DRL's

What is the defensive driving course?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement