Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post here every time you get something new!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I press the the button with a picture of a flower on it, and turn off the flash for pcb shots. What the flower button does is beyond me, as are most things in photography :D It seems to allow focusing on very close range, thats all I know :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

picked up
    crazy taxi
    Tomb Raider the last revelation
    Virtua Fighter 3tb

all for 15 euro
    have seen crazy taxi go for 30 euro before

for the dreamcast there today on ebay

• Registered Users Posts: 34,446 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Andrew76 wrote: »
    @o1s1n - Delighted with the EverDrive. Just so handy not having to swap out carts, it also handles game saves for those carts that normally have them (just save in game as normal). And since it runs roms (of games I own!) you can also run hacks/translation patches etc. It's great!
    Stoneagegamer are sold out atm but I think you can get the actual Everdrive PCB from it's creator here: http://store.kitsch-bent.com/product/sega-megadrive-genesis-flash-cart-with-sd-mmc. They don't come with the pause switch at the top anymore (for SMS games) but you can always get them yourself and solder it on if you want. Once you have the pcb then use any MD cart and just cut a slot at the top for the SD card (2GB max) or get the parts from stoneagegamer. The Everdrive will format the SD itself through it's menu and away you go. :)

That does indeed sound great..

Ah! you and your tempations. You're as bad as me now :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

picked up
    crazy taxi
    Tomb Raider the last revelation
    Virtua Fighter 3tb

all for 15 euro
    have seen crazy taxi go for 30 euro before

for the dreamcast there today on ebay

30 euro for Crazy Taxi is a bit mad, it's a very common game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Just got a mk1 Sega master system on adverts, 55 via paypal including postage.
    One of the "wish I had" consoles, and now I do!
    Also bidding on a slightly used Pc Engine Turbo Duo R, seeing as I now own the rtype games and they won't play on my turbo grafx, cheaper to buy a jap console than a convertor! Fingers crossed!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,813 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If you want to see how much better than master system was than the NES you have to play Phantasy Star on it. It's far and away the best looking 8-bit game ever and puts a lot of Megadrive games to shame. Bit archaic though. Went through it a while ago with a walkthrough which is pretty much esssential. Lots of grinding involved. It's so tough if you walk out of the first area and are unlucky enough to encounter one of the tougher enemies you will die on your first battle.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It's so tough if you walk out of the first area and are unlucky enough to encounter one of the tougher enemies you will die on your first battle.

Sounds a bit like life growing up in Balbriggan to me!

Master of the Universe

Ah, the Sega Nomad. Held back by two substantial problems - a crappy LCD screen and 4 hours battery life out of 6 AA bateries.

I've had mine for about 5 years now and to be honest, due to both those issues it was a novelty piece - you really couldn't use the thing for gaming.

All that has changed now though.

5-1.jpg

Apart from the new LCD, you will notice there is no power cable.

'But o1s1n, wtf! Think of the batteries!'

Don't worry, the planet is no longer doomed due to my Nomad's high battery consumption level. Enternow in his infinite wizdom built me one of these -

4-1.jpg

'But that's just a regular Nomad charger. They're long since dead?'

Nope, the shell has been gutted and the rechargable battery replaced.

I can not emphasise how cool this is. Photos don't really do it justice. I can now sit back and play Megadrive carts on a perfect LCD (It just looks like a mini television) without the annoyance of having it teathered to the wall or worrying about the low battery light blinking on any time soon.

I've had it on the table running for a good while now and the battery is showing no sign of wearing out. The combination of the far lower power consumption level LCD and better battery technology is amazing.

It's kind of sad in a way, as it feels like this is what the console should have been to begin with.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,813 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Is it not true though that the Nomad has the best sound hardware of any megadrive model?

Master of the Universe

It does indeed.

Even more reason for someone to make some music tracker software for it! A port of LSDJ to run with something like an Everdrive would do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

I've never used it, but there is chiptune software (example below, I think there's at least one more though) available for the megadrive:

http://gendev.spritesmind.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=125

It's some russian program called TFMaker. Not sure if it's possible to compose on the MD itself yet though, you possible have to export the composition into a vgm player rom and then play it through the MD hardware.

Just bought a PSOne on the bay, €9.99 & free postage. Has to be alright at that is it?

Master of the Universe

That's a great price. I couldn't recommend getting one of those LCDs for it enough, the quality of them is amazing. As is the sound. It's really really loud. In fact, I completely forgot I had one of those. Thanks for the reminder! :D

Cool, I'll keep my eyes peeled for the screen. Suppose the bay would be the best bet to look on? I might chip the old dawg for the hell of it too, for region free goodness.

Master of the Universe

I'd say they might be a little hard to come accross and expensive as most of them are probably connected to PSones already.

Yep, just as I thought :( -

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PSONE-TFT-SCREEN-LOGIC-3-screen-mint-condition-/150530727784?pt=UK_VintageComputing_RL&hash=item230c549f68

o1s1n wrote: »
    I'd say they might be a little hard to come accross and expensive as most of them are probably connected to PSones already.

Yep, just as I thought :( -

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PSONE-TFT-SCREEN-LOGIC-3-screen-mint-condition-/150530727784?pt=UK_VintageComputing_RL&hash=item230c549f68

Ugh, £35 sterling? I'll bide my time & try some patience on this one :D The 29" Sony will do the job until then.

I was lucky, a number of years ago, whilst the PS2 was still the zeitgeist of all things consoley, I picked up a very cheap, €40, PSone with screen bundle in Harvey Norman, a very lucky find and, yes, the screen is lovely!

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I was lucky, a number of years ago, whilst the PS2 was still the zeitgeist of all things consoley, I picked up a very cheap, €40, PSone with screen bundle in Harvey Norman, a very lucky find and, yes, the screen is lovely!

HARVEEEEY NORRRRRMANNNNN

Master of the Universe

I picked up one on adverts with a screen for €25 a few months back.

HARVEEEEY NORRRRRMANNNNN can't beat that!

With adverts down for the upgrade, I've been window shopping on ebay today (PSone purchased already). Spotted this & thought it might be worth picking it up - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280603020007&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:GB:1123 The seller is listing other ones that look new & sealed also, but for just over €7 I couldn't say no. Ideally I want an NTSC N64, I just can't justify the postage cost yet though.

Is it just me or are ebay prices a bit better these days? NES stuff is very attractive on it I must say. Also, wtf is wrong with folks in the UK listing auctions as UK only?? Only for I couldn't be arsed asking them to post across the water, I'd have prob spent a fortune today. If the Adverts upgrade is anyting like the last one, I'm happy to stick with ebay tbh.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Recession = people eager to sell stuff so they can eat and pay the rent. It's unfortunate..but it means bargains for people with a few quid to spare.

That's quite a steal you got there.

And dont mention that UK only ****e. There seem to be two different types of UK only - one that will let international buyers still bid, the other just rejects your bid saying you don't meet the criteria. More and more are falling into the second type lately :(

Recession = people eager to sell stuff so they can eat and pay the rent. It's unfortunate..but it means bargains for people with a few quid to spare.

That's quite a steal you got there.

And dont mention that UK only ****e. There seem to be two different types of UK only - one that will let international buyers still bid, the other just rejects your bid saying you don't meet the criteria. More and more are falling into the second type lately :(

Aside from the spoils of your purchases, finding bargains on ebay is actually addictive! I need help :( Yeah I thought €7 was simply too hard not to take a punt on it. It says there's a pcb or something stuck in the side of it so I'll prop have to open it to get that out, but you know me...getting to open it is the fun bit :rolleyes:

Master of the Universe

Fingers crossed you don't have to prise this one open with credit cards :p
    EnterNow wrote: »
    finding bargains on ebay is actually addictive! I need help :(

Oh and welcome to my world! half the fun is the buzz of the auction itself and getting a bargain. Addictive is too weak a word.

Fingers crossed you don't have to prise this one open with credit cards :p

:p Nah I'm sure I'll have an easier job with this one. For anyone that's baffled, the Nomad battery box needs to be opened with something credit card-esque...there's no screws, it's just clipped together, very, very tightly :) Speaking of which, I must document the battery box mod when I do my own one as it's prob the last one I'll do.

EnterNow wrote: »
    With adverts down for the upgrade, I've been window shopping on ebay today (PSone purchased already). Spotted this & thought it might be worth picking it up - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280603020007&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:GB:1123 The seller is listing other ones that look new & sealed also, but for just over €7 I couldn't say no. Ideally I want an NTSC N64, I just can't justify the postage cost yet though.

Is it just me or are ebay prices a bit better these days? NES stuff is very attractive on it I must say. Also, wtf is wrong with folks in the UK listing auctions as UK only?? Only for I couldn't be arsed asking them to post across the water, I'd have prob spent a fortune today. If the Adverts upgrade is anyting like the last one, I'm happy to stick with ebay tbh.

I actually have a NTSC N64 that isn't getting any use, just hanging onto it to play RE2 for the N64 occassionally. Any chance you'd be interested in a swap for that adapter thingy?

Augmerson wrote: »
    I actually have a NTSC N64 that isn't getting any use, just hanging onto it to play RE2 for the N64 occassionally. Any chance you'd be interested in a swap for that adapter thingy?

Ooh...anything else you'd be interested in?

Besides the Adapter? I dunno. If you could mod my N64 so it could play NTSC that would be awesome but then if you could do that, you'd have done it to yer own N64 and wouldn't be buying an Adapter or looking for a NTSC N64. Dunno, what do you have?

Master of the Universe

Its impossible to mod a PAL n64 console. :( Nintendo really were bastards with that one.

Wow, didn't know that! :o

• Advertisement

Augmerson wrote: »
    Wow, didn't know that! :o

Yup, as o1s1n said PAL N64's are forever that, PAL :( NTSC GC is moddable also, with PAL one not. Em, I dunno man but I'm def interested in it so I'll find you something ok :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement