Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post here every time you get something new!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Jammy git, I've been looking at a few at the moment but trying to get a cheap one isn't easy. Might settle for a fix-er-upper.

What are they selling for these days? I think I paid around €100 or a little over for mine

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

EnterNow wrote: »
    Most humans have two man, what kinda stuff have you be doing! :p

Which is why I mentioned lilly allen :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Cheers guys, I'm glad I eventually joined the party.

I do want that vectrex flash cart all right but in the mean time what games should I be looking for on eBay?

@The Last Bandit
    I was Looking at that fixer on eBay myself. Price is starting to get a bit high for it though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The flashcart is called the Vecmulti, there was an older one called the Vecflash, the original used a serial port, the next gen had a usb port.
    All Vectrex games are public domain so no probs downloading and playing.
    The best stuff is homebrew, I like to play the Asteroids clone Rockaroids, it's as close to the real thing as you can get.
    If it makes a buzzing sound in use don't worry, that's part of the charm!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

so got a couple of new bits, not exactly retro (or even gaming related but hey!)

WarioLand and Metroid other M for Wii, Both Newsed, both on my list since they came out. €15 and €8 respectively, Happy with that.

197833.jpg

A couple of months ago I started trying to lean how to draw Manga Characters (with somewhat limited success) and have been wanting to use some layers to do decent inking, so found myself a cheap tablet and some silly software. should be fun!

197832.jpg

• Advertisement

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    The flashcart is called the Vecmulti, there was an older one called the Vecflash, the original used a serial port, the next gen had a usb port.
    The best stuff is homebrew, I like to play the Asteroids clone Rockaroids, it's as close to the real thing as you can get.

Cheers, I really need to get that flash cart.
    I ordered scramble from the same seller for 10 sterling and no extra postage. Not many vectrex games for sale on eBay really.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

*pew-pew pew-pew!*

Looks like there's 3 versions of rockaroids, ye're spoiled!

<snip> Was meant for Son of general..... </snip>

I found a 32 in 1 cart on eBay France for the vectrex.
    Then I came cross this site
    http://vectrex.playntradeonline.com/

Anyone ever get one??

Steve SI wrote: »

Anyone ever get one??

A few of the lads have the 72 in 1 i think.

You just know you'll have to buy it over the French one for all the homebrew games...

why not buy 2? ;)

Mark had a go of what I think is the French one also:

• Registered Users Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Cheers, I really need to get that flash cart.
    I ordered scramble from the same seller for 10 sterling and no extra postage. Not many vectrex games for sale on eBay really.

What you want is one of these, takes a micro sd card. Works a treat!

http://www.vectrex.biz/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Anyone ever get one??

To be honest, I wouldn't bother.
    There is a steady, meandering stream of homebrew out for the Vectrex, multicarts won't let you try that stuff.
    The Richard Hutchinson cart lets you load everything and builds a menu for you to peruse, very nice, and no where near as expensive as, say, the Sean Kelly multicart.

To be honest, I wouldn't bother.
    There is a steady, meandering stream of homebrew out for the Vectrex, multicarts won't let you try that stuff.
    The Richard Hutchinson cart lets you load everything and builds a menu for you to peruse, very nice, and no where near as expensive as, say, the Sean Kelly multicart.

But you don't seem to be able to buy any of those carts any more. Or am I missing something??

Email Ritchard Hutchinson, he should be contactable, ask him if you can get one, has he one in stock etc.
    He seems like a real nice guy and makes an excellent series of products.

Email Ritchard Hutchinson, he should be contactable, ask him if you can get one, has he one in stock etc.
    He seems like a real nice guy and makes an excellent series of products.

I got a reply from that Ritchard Hutchinson chap this morning. He says he's waiting on some sort of cartridge shell stock before he can make any more carts(seems like it might be some time).
    I did mention I would buy the pcb only and fit it inside a cart myself or print my own cart out and do it that way.
    Will see what he says.

Vectrex, scramble and vectrex carry bag have shipped this morning in a large padded box. Lets hope it arrives in working order.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

I got a reply from that Ritchard Hutchinson chap this morning. He says he's waiting on some sort of cartridge shell stock before he can make any more carts(seems like it might be some time).
    I did mention I would buy the pcb only and fit it inside a cart myself or print my own cart out and do it that way.
    Will see what he says.

Vectrex, scramble and vectrex carry bag have shipped this morning in a large padded box. Lets hope it arrives in working order.

Yeah defo see if you can get your hands on the cart even if it's just in PCB form. I haven't played mine in a bit but I remember mostly playing the homebrew games which I don't think you can get on ebay. Things like Protecter (Defender clone) and YASI (Space Invaders clone) are excellent. There was another 3D-esque platform game o1s1n mentioned, that was decent fun too. Will fire it up tonight and get a list of games. Oh obviously Berzerk should be played, great game that is.

Master of the Universe

In a lot of cases, the homebrew games are far better than the original Vectrex releases. Protector is brilliant.

So if you can get a flash cart with an SD card definitely go that way.

If I cant get the flash cart I'll grab the 70 in 1 cart as it has about 40 or so homebrew and unreleased games on it as well as all the released games. It's better than nothing I suppose but it wont be the same without the overlays.

I'll see what games I like and try and get them as they pop up on ebay with an overlay included.

Another thing I forgot to mention is the controller - it might be worth thinking about picking up a second one as a backup. They're not as easy to replace as an MD pad or whatever. Also, one of the buttons (I think button 4 but not sure) is used for most games and can be more worn than others, needs a firmer press etc. I got a second as a backup and was lucky that it's button 4 was in better condition. Something to think about anyway.

Master of the Universe

Ah right, if it has the homebrew games included then that'd be just as good as an SD based one. I had every game on my one and I don't think it came anywhere near 70, so if they're quoting figures like that you should get them all.

Interesting bit of info in case you didn't know, the whole Vectrex back catalog was let go as freeware, so you can freely distribute those games legally.

Ah ****! I just remembered, my vectrex wasnt working properly the last time I turned it on! Had completely forgotten. Bugger!

o1s1n wrote: »
    Ah ****! I just remembered, my vectrex wasnt working properly the last time I turned it on! Had completely forgotten. Bugger!

That was exactly like me with the mega drive yesterday! :pac:

4439131582_d8292f686c_o.png

• Advertisement

I was going to grab another controller at the same time but could only find the one on ebay and it was about 50 sterling I think.
    I'll keep my eye out for one and grab it when the price is right, or just buy o1s1n's controllers as he wont need them anymore :D

Master of the Universe

There's nothing worse than forgetting something is broken and then remembering ages later. It's like finding it out it's broken for the first time all over again :(

It was a weird one, it played all the raster type games fine - but anything with vector lines were appearing as if it was miscelebrated. The lines were all there, but they weren't connecting properly.

Like this-

Untitled-10.png

I'm thought there might be a pot behind the monitor that can just be adjusted, but didn't have a screwdriver deep enough to take the back cover off the last time. It was then just stored away and forgotten about!

I was going to grab another controller at the same time but could only find the one on ebay and it was about 50 sterling I think.
    I'll keep my eye out for one and grab it when the price is right, or just buy o1s1n's controllers as he wont need them anymore :D

There's 2 in this list with current bids under 20 quid, 2/3 days to go. Not sure the seller posts to here though or allows international bidders etc. Worth an email to the sellers though.

You could always try out the "Sega Genesis modified Vectrex Controller" as an alternative! ;)

Or a PSX modified Vectrex controller, especially for the games that require analog controls:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Modify-PSX-Controller-for-Vectrex-Games-Console/

OR even a SNES modified vectrex controller!

So my new job is back in my old job, more or less.
    Found this today from when I was here last year, they still haven't thrown it out :rolleyes:

Should I keep it or dump it??

photo123654.jpg

You can dump it outside my house for free. icon14.gif

What does said package contain, the device, some games?
    Hmm, adverts me thinks...

What does said package contain, the device, some games?
    Hmm, adverts me thinks...

It's only an empty box, except for some packaging foam.

Seems a shame to dump it as its Neo Geo etc. My Hyper 64 came in it. But it originally had 12 Hyper 64's inside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

If it's just a box, IMHO take nice pictures of it & recycle the cardboard.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement