Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPDATE: *Tesco Bakery Products may contain animal fats!!!*

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

Erm, anyone know why meat is on their vegan list?!?!?!??
    Meat F38C
    20 British Beef Meatballs
    Aberdeen Angus Peppered Rump Steak
    Chilli Con Carne Burgers Filled With Soured Cream
    Creamy Peppercorn Filled Burgers With Peppercorn Crust
    Peppered Rump Steak Salt & Pepper Lamb Shoulder Joint
    all vegan approved apparently!

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Thoushaltnot

Maybe it's like the Simpson's episode when the McCartneys descend on Springfield and it turns out that the hot dogs Apu's been selling are made of tofu instead of meat...and nobody'd noticed.

Och, that list was fine in the Summer!

I sent them a message about it. I'm sure they just mis-labelled the list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

Mellor wrote: »
    It's probably shortening or lard used instead of butter (as its cheaper). I thought all bread/baked goodswould have milk or butter in it anyway, making it non-vegan-friendly (I could be wrong obviously)

have a look at this thread for some info
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055141428

some of it may have changed since though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭i-digress

Hey, I got this reply from Tesco.

I'm pleased to hear that you shop in Tesco regularly but you're disappointed because you're unable to purchase from the bakery section as the ingredients aren't listed. I can appreciate the annoyance caused by this.

The store should have guide pages which do carry ingredients and allergen information for products. This information is provided to cover customers requests for information.

Customers with allergens should be made aware of the cross contamination risk within the in store bakery, this is not allowed for in the allergen information provided which only covers the ingredients in the product".

ISB Bread - Please note with ISB that we do handle non vegan products and we do use cheese in the ISB which will carry a risk of cross contamination.

However the following products from an ingredient point of view are Vegan.

Standard White products
    Split tin 800g & 400g
    Sandwich Tin 800g
    Bloomers 400g & 800g
    Tiger Bread 800g & 400g
    Farmhouse 400g & 800g
    4 large white baps
    Soft white rolls
    White finger rolls
    White hot dog rolls
    Seeded burger buns
    White snack rolls
    Scotch morning rolls
    Plain baguette
    Plain baton
    Seeded baguette
    Poppy Seed Baguette
    Tiger baguette
    Tiger rolls
    Crusty white round rolls
    Sandwich Baguette

Granary
    Granary soft rolls
    Malted Grain Tin 800
    Granary Baguette
    Granary Baton
    Granary Torpedo

Finest Rustic Multigrain
    Finest Rustic Multigrain 400g
    Finest Rustic Multigrain 800g
    Finest Rustic Multigrain Boule
    Finest French Baguette & Baton

Wholemeal
    Wholemeal bread tin 400g
    Wholemeal bread tin 800g
    Large wholemeal baps
    Wholemeal soft rolls
    Wholemeal baps
    Wholemeal finger rolls

Organic
    Organic White Tin 800g
    Organic Wholemeal Tin 800g

Bagels

Sesame bagels
    Plain Bagels

Stonebake
    Stonebaked Baguette
    800g Stonebaked Longue
    Stonebaked Sourdough Bloomer

Finest French
    Finest Baguette
    Finest Baton
    Finest Petit Pain
    Kalamata Olive Bouchon

I hope this can be of some help to you and thank you for your enquiry.

• Advertisement

at last! thanks i-digress :)

Erm, anyone know why meat is on their vegan list?!?!?!??
    Meat F38C
    20 British Beef Meatballs
    Aberdeen Angus Peppered Rump Steak
    Chilli Con Carne Burgers Filled With Soured Cream
    Creamy Peppercorn Filled Burgers With Peppercorn Crust
    Peppered Rump Steak Salt & Pepper Lamb Shoulder Joint

all vegan approved apparently!

M+S replied but they didn't seem to read the email. Ugh! I really would have expected better from them.
    Thanks for emailing us about our Diet list.

I'm sorry to hear that you're not happy with our website Diet list. I'd like to inform you that I've passed your comments to our website team, who are always keen to hear any feedback and suggestions from our customers so we can improve our service.

What I can also advise you on is that we regularly review and update our website and we are grateful for the comments and suggestions of our customers. Wherever possible, we make changes to the website based on what the feedback we receive.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I hope this information is helpful and may have a lovely day.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

I just got the following reply from the FSAI:
    FSAI wrote:
    Hi Mark,

Thank you for contacting the Food Safety Authority of Ireland. The
    reason for the derogation which exempts unpackaged food from the full
    labelling requirements is that the food business selling the food can
    provide information on ingredients etc at the customer's request. In
    relation to your query the retailer selling unpackaged food should be
    able to provide the list of ingredients on request.

Under current labelling legislation only the name of the food has to be
    indicated either on the label or displayed near the name of the food.
    However FSAI recommends that food sold without pre-packaging also
    details the date of minimum durability, the presence of any allergenic
    ingredients and the species of animal and meat content for meat
    products.

Information on the allergens which require mandatory labelling can be
    accessed on our website at: http://www.fsai.ie/faq/allergens.html

Regards,

Vanessa Cooling
    Information Assistant

Food Safety Authority of Ireland
    Tel: 01-8171336
    Fax: 01-8171236
    www.fsai.ie
    Seemed to repeat what I read before, that the retailer should be able to supply ingredient lists for non pre-packaged foods. I have replied asking for clarification on that, asking if retailers have to supply ingredient lists when asked, or if they are allowed to deny that request.

i-digress wrote: »
    Standard White products
    Split tin 800g & 400g
    Sandwich Tin 800g
    Bloomers 400g & 800g
    Tiger Bread 800g & 400g
    Farmhouse 400g & 800g
    4 large white baps
    Soft white rolls
    White finger rolls
    White hot dog rolls
    Seeded burger buns
    White snack rolls
    Scotch morning rolls
    Plain baguette
    Plain baton
    Seeded baguette
    Poppy Seed Baguette
    Tiger baguette
    Tiger rolls

Crusty white round rolls
    Sandwich Baguette

Didn't I read someone here saying that they where told in their tesco that the tiger bread had l-cysteine in it, making it non vegan (and non vegie depending on source)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 bren33

True. Well, if they know there is demand for it, they might realise... one day.

If anyone wants to email customer.service@tesco.co.uk and add their concern, it would be a step in the right direction. (And yes, it's the address for Irish Tesco stores too)

go people power!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭i-digress

'Didn't I read someone here saying that they where told in their tesco that the tiger bread had l-cysteine in it, making it non vegan (and non vegie depending on source)?'

Yeah, you did. Because that's the EXACT thought that went through my head when I got the email!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,430 ✭✭✭embraer170

I also contacted Tesco on this.

Let's see what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Thoushaltnot

i-digress wrote: »
    'Didn't I read someone here saying that they where told in their tesco that the tiger bread had l-cysteine in it, making it non vegan (and non vegie depending on source)?'

Yeah, you did. Because that's the EXACT thought that went through my head when I got the email!

Yup. Potentially non veg*n. The ingredients for Tiger loaf include "tiger paste" which contains "flour treatment agents (***, L-cysteine hydrochloride)".

As I said at the time, I just couldn't be @rsed re-mailing them to find out what the source of the l-cysteine hydrochloride was. It could be safe for veg*ns or it could be from sheeps wool/duck or chicken feathers or it could be from hair from the floor of chinese barber shops (keratin).

See 910/920 here;
    http://www.veggieglobal.com/nutrition/non-vegetarian-food-additives.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Voltex

Breads from resco are produced, in the main, from Palm Oils, and Rapeseed Oils and all of wich are HVO free.
    I havent seen animal fat used in bread for years....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Voltex

Yup. Potentially non veg*n. The ingredients for Tiger loaf include "tiger paste" which contains "flour treatment agents (***, L-cysteine hydrochloride)".

As I said at the time, I just couldn't be @rsed re-mailing them to find out what the source of the l-cysteine hydrochloride was. It could be safe for veg*ns or it could be from sheeps wool/duck or chicken feathers or it could be from hair from the floor of chinese barber shops (keratin).

See 910/920 here;
    http://www.veggieglobal.com/nutrition/non-vegetarian-food-additives.htm

L-Cystine is whats refered to as a "reducing agent". It basically helps relax bread doughs, making them flow, and allows greater extensibility. Common ingredient in bread and totally inert.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Voltex wrote: »
    Common ingredient in bread and totally inert.

I'm not sure what you mean by "inert" in context of this thread.... L-cysteine hydrochloride can be extracted from duck and chicken feathers, human hair or animal hair or it can be synthetically produced from coal tar.

So I got a reply from the FSAI about wether retailers are required to have ingredient lists for non-prepackaged food:
    Hi Mark,

They are required to have this information on site in order to answer customer queries regarding the ingredients. If you are having difficulty getting information from a retail outlet I can give you the contact details for the local environmental health section. They can check to ensure that the retailer has all of the relevant information on site.

regards,

Vanessa Cooling
    Information Assistant

Food Safety Authority of Ireland
    Tel: 01-8171336
    Fax: 01-8171236
    www.fsai.ie

So it seems like retailers do have to have the ingredient information on site so they can give it out when asked for, and that the local enviromental health section can be contacted if there are issues. I would imagine that they cant even use the excuse that ingredients change according to season, as they would still be required to know what they are putting into their food regardless of how often they change the recipe.
    A good response, I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Nunubird

Re the M&S vegan list, I also noticed teacakes and doughnuts :confused: I'd be delighted if both were vegan but I have my doubts.

Advertisement