Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cuisine de France foods which are vegan!

Options
  • 27-08-2007 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭

I have always been curious whether jam doughnuts from cuisine de france were vegan, so I decided to email them yesterday. They replied today! Sadly the doughnuts aren't, but I thought others would like to see the list :D

Product; Vegan?

Jam Doughnut No

Ring Doughnut No

Chocolate Doughnut No

Vanilla Doughnut No

Apple Tart Yes

Deep Dish Apple Pie Yes

Rhubarb Tart Yes

Deep dish Rhubarb Tart Yes

Apple Lattice Yes

Cranberry and Rosemary Bread Yes

French Bread - Baguettes, Parisiens, Demi Baguettes, Baguettines, Petit Pains and Bouchons Yes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

To be honest, cuisine de france foods are barely edible.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Slaphead07 wrote:
    To be honest, cuisine de france foods are barely edible.
    No.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Washout

do Vegans eat eggs?

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Mentalmiss

Washout wrote:
    do Vegans eat eggs?
    No.
    Is there something that you want to tell us that they may be hiding.

Mentalmiss wrote:
    No.
    Is there something that you want to tell us that they may be hiding.

i always thought that their apple latice things and were egg washed to give it the shiny look.
    also how sure are we that they dont use animal fat based margarine in their tarts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Mentalmiss

I always went on the rule that if it did not make it obvious that it was vegan then I did not touch it.
    If it just says margarine then there is animal products in it. If someone goes to the trouble of using vegan marg then I think that they will let you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

well, i emailed them, so i will trust their list. in the email he said;

"In response to you query I have attached a list of our products which are suitable/unsuitable for a vegan diet. Should you have any further queries please do not hesitate to contact me."

so it sounds good to me!

oh, on the margerine issue, for most factory made products vegetable oil is usually used to cut costs. i did outline what a vegan avoided when i wrote to them in case they weren't sure ;)

oh, on the margerine issue, for most factory made products they just use vegetable oil to cut costs. i did outline what a vegan avoided when i wrote to them in case they weren't sure ;)

can you give me the email address you used? and how long did they take to reply?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Washout wrote:
    i always thought that their apple latice things and were egg washed to give it the shiny look.
    Where do they use the lattice things though? They seem to think some of their products are vegan anyway!
    They say no to some and yes to others, I imagine the no ones have the margerine/eggs/butter/gelatine etc and not the others. otherwise, what would they be basing their decision on?

• Advertisement

Where do they use the lattice things though? They seem to think some of their products are vegan anyway!
    They say no to some and yes to others, I imagine the no ones have the margerine/eggs/butter/gelatine etc and not the others. otherwise, what would they be basing their decision on?

No means non vegan in the case above...dohnuts contain eggs for sure.

im suprprised at the amount of yesses for the rest though.

I am aware that 'no' means not vegan in the above. I am just saying that since they write 'no' for some and 'yes' for others, they clearly had some reasoning for thier decisions. I am just wondering whether they went so far as to check if the margerine is vegan etc...

i contacted them through their website. http://www.cuisinedefrance.com/default.asp

and it took about a day for them to reply :)

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭biZrb

Nice one! I always wondered about their rolls, I love a crusty roll every now and then, now I know I can eat them.

Im surprised that their apple lattices are tarts are vegan though.

glad i could share. i sdmit, i picked up their mini apple tarts, and noticed contains egg (or milk) on the back of the pack. this list isn't the best, but it's something to look at!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 lturner

I received an email from them yesterday, it says the doughnuts are vegan, plus all of the below...

Thank you for your email regarding Co-op doughnuts and cakes that are suitable for vegans. I can confirm the following cakes are suitable for vegans:

CAKES
    • Co-op Apple and Blackberry Pie
    • Co-op Jam Doughnuts
    • Co-op Xmas Fairtrade fruit mince pies
    • Co-op Twin Iced Fingers 2s
    • Co-op Apple Pie
    • CDF Giant Ring Doughnut
    • CDF Giant Ring Doughnut 2s
    • CDF Giant Ring Doughnut
    • CDF Midi Apple Doughnuts 4s
    • CDF Midi Apple Doughnuts
    • CDF Midi Jam Doughnut
    • CDF Midi Jam Doughnut 4s
    • CDF Apple Lattice Square
    • CDF Apple Lattice Squares 4s
    • CDF Giant Jam Doughnut 2s
    • CDF Giant Jam Doughnut
    • CDF Midi Ring Doughnuts 4s
    • CDF Midi Ring Doughnut
    • CDF Midi Vanilla Doughnut
    • CDF Midi Vanilla Doughnuts 4s
    • CDF Apple Turnover 2s
    • CDF Apple Turnover
    • CDF Apple Turnover 3s

The Co-operative provides a list of all own brand products that are suitable for vegans (we also produce a vegetarian list). If you would like me to post you a copy, I would be pleased to do so.

Thank you for contacting the Co-operative Customer Relations. If I can be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me directly, on Freephone 0800 0686727, quoting the reference 143050/RAC. Alternatively, you may write to me at The Co-operative Customer Relations, Freepost MR9473, Manchester, M4 8BA.
    cid:_1_059903080598FF4C003FC11A80257435 Customer Relations

Richard Carroll
    Customer Relations Officer

Who are Co-op??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

Who are Co-op??

they're a UK chain. A bit far to go for your week's shopping.
    I preme "CDF" refers to cuisine de france.... to be honest I find their (CDF that is) products inedible anyway..... and certainly unlike anything you'd ever buy in France.

I find it hard to believe that donuts are suitable for vegans.
    isnt egg an essential ingediant for donuts?

Myself and the OP have been known to make vegan donuts, with me doing more eating than cooking, per se.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭biZrb

I know a few years ago Tesco donuts were vegan - it was in the Vegan Shopper, but they've changed the receipe so they're not any more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Washout wrote: »
    I find it hard to believe that donuts are suitable for vegans.
    isnt egg an essential ingediant for donuts?

The donuts that I make at home occasionally are made with self-raising flour, salt and milk (obviously soy milk or rice milk would be fine), fried in vegetable oil and rolled in sugar.

Advertisement