Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What makes a singer good?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

liah wrote: »
    Just reminded me. Why do so many singers never sing in their natural accent? I have a thing for listening to music where people actually sing in their real accents just because it's so rare. Hate hearing Americanized accents all the time, it's nice to have a bit of change.

Is there a particular reason for it?

It has to do with the vowels. When you sing in English, singers tend to go for more of a round, unaccented, clear vowel because it's considered more attractive and carries the sound more fully. The result is a sound that sounds closest to the American accent, since it's considered a "flat" accent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

brummytom wrote: »
    Her version of Fields of Gold blows Sting out of the water; her version of Songbird kills Fleetwood Mac. I don't normally like covers, but I don't think I've heard a bad song from her

Ive had her on repeat on Itunes for the last few days. Theres just something about her voice, even when shes not hitting big notes it gives you goosebumps. I sing a lot of her stuff around and it always gets a great response. She's just a naturally good singer, it oozes from her

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Not forgetting that good singers are not just from the english speaking world .Females such as french singers ' Séverine, Frida Boccara , France Gall, and the Swedish ABBA girls ( singing in English of course ) can hold their own up there with any British /American female singers .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭enniscorthy

Latchy wrote: »
    Not forgetting that good singers are not just from the english speaking world .Females such as french singers ' Séverine, Frida Boccara , France Gall, and the swedish the ABBA girls ( singing in English of course ) can hold their own up there with any British /American female singers .

defo mate you cant rule out CAETANO VELOSO

defo mate you cant rule out CAETANO VELOSO
    Which is why I used to be a big fan of the eurovison song contest ( before it went all crappy pc / clown acts )

We may not have understood the language of the singers but we could appreciate the sentiment , melody of the tune and the voice .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

That's the one.
    I don't even think that song showcases her true talents. Came across her a few years ago in the film Dreamgirls, absolutely unbelievable. She did 'And I'm Telling You I'm Not Going' (can't find it on YT), it was breathtaking.

This was her first performance after those murders:

Just amazing

Hard to believe she was on the third season of American Idol and she only came 7th. Goes to show that the best singer doesn't always come out on top on these shows.

That's the one.
    I don't even think that song showcases her true talents. Came across her a few years ago in the film Dreamgirls, absolutely unbelievable. She did 'And I'm Telling You I'm Not Going' (can't find it on YT), it was breathtaking.
    Yes that's were I first heard her ,in Dreamgirls and being a big Supremes fan ,you cant help but compare her with Diana ( call me miss ) Ross although Hudson I think has the edge over Ross .Then again maybe it's not right to compare two amazing singer such as those two together

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

There are a few traits that help though - having soul and authenticity are vital, and it's great if someone can sing effortlessly. The best female voice I can think of in those terms is Cat Power - on top of all that her voice is simultaneously melancholic and sexy.

+1 for Cat Power.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

<Ollie> wrote: »
    +1 for Cat Power.

+2! Very theraputic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Russian singer.. I don't understand a single word of it, but her range is absolutely phenomenal. All of that is her voice.. even the beginning. I couldn't believe it when I first heard it. She's amazing.

• Advertisement

Russian singer.. I don't understand a single word of it, but her range is absolutely phenomenal. All of that is her voice.. even the beginning. I couldn't believe it when I first heard it. She's amazing.
    Jeeze ,that is something else . I was half expecting Rasputin the mad monk to make an appearence at the end there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

LSD - Lead Singer Disease.

They must have an ego bigger than God's and a talent to match.

See Christy Dignam, Roger Daltry, Robert Plant et al.

In fairness, if God does exist and doesn't have more talent than Christy Dignam then a lot of people are going to be very dissapointed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

When I saw that name, I thought "was she the one who sang in the Eurovision for Russia this year?" And it was. She does have a very remarkable voice - her lower range especially is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Keogg

Sorry for sounding stupid but I've never understood this.. it's always amazed me people who say they can't sing, it's not like it takes effort.
    Obviously not everyone's voice will sound amazing, but surely everyone can stick a few words in a tune and sing it? :confused:

Ah I love it.. it's my favourite instrument at the moment. People don't ignore it when I play it, it's an instrument with presence.. it's like myself, loud, ugly and obnoxious but some people still like it :pac:
    Wish i had a banjo... *sulks in corner muttering* I love my guitar though:D its sounds sexy, and looks it too

oh yeah, singers: i really like singers that try to inspire emotions, take Damien Rice's songs, for example (dunno if you'd know him, dont think hes that big) they always start out real quiet and soft and sad, then get really angry and loud, and then finish softly again, its a great mixture of sounds and vocals that sounds great
    Maybe it was the song you sang, what was it?

I also love when male singers can reach ridiculous pitches (like Matt Bellamy, even I cant sing as high as he does in Bliss)

Oh and i agree with you on the 'i cant sing' point, really its 'i cant sing well' that people should say... im fairly tone deaf, but i love singing to anything:) especially when drinking, when suddenly i know all the lyrics......

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Without need for any introductions.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pjzer9dUWmg

Phenomenal in every single way, calculated and precise but soulful and soft.

Probably one of the best singers if not the best singer who graced the earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

Just reminded me. Why do so many singers never sing in their natural accent? I have a thing for listening to music where people actually sing in their real accents just because it's so rare. Hate hearing Americanized accents all the time, it's nice to have a bit of change.

Is there a particular reason for it?

You ever heard Paolo Nutini talk? I like his voice when he sings but my god when he’s just talking he sounds awful. My flatmate is a singer in a band and I think he’s got a great singing voice very powerful and controlled but he’s the most softly spoken person off stage. I think nearly everyone’s accent sounds different when they sing then when they talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭craggles

Sex appeal. Close the thread

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Doc wrote: »
    You ever heard Paolo Nutini talk? I like his voice when he sings but my god when he’s just talking he sounds awful. My flatmate is a singer in a band and I think he’s got a great singing voice very powerful and controlled but he’s the most softly spoken person off stage. I think nearly everyone’s accent sounds different when they sing then when they talk.

I'd like to change my plea :pac:
    I've just listened to me singing 'Banks of The Roses'... it definitely sounds English. I can't tell whether it sound Brummy or not because I'm so used to the accent. But it's definitely English. So I do sing in my native voice after all :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

He said after 33 seconds he'd already favourited it. Anyone I've ever tried to show that Irish music contains some amazing singers, I've started off by playing that song to them.

That was brutal.

I just want to take this opportunity to say that I love Edward and John and everyone else is a talentless hack.

Advertisement