Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What makes a singer good?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Borneo Fnctn

Music is gone to ****e since Roy Orbison died.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Mmcd wrote: »
    Audio or GTFO!
    Pyr0 wrote: »
    Post the clip and I'll decide if yer good or not.
    baz2009 wrote: »
    Touché.:o

+1 on the audio or GTFO.:D
    I'm not that evil :pac:
    Sorry probably should have said that a bit different, I can sing but not very well! and that's understating it but i have other talents :p I do sing all the time though, i'm always singing something and i love listening to people who can sing with a good voice, just something about it.
    Oh right, yep.. same. I sing to myself like a madman :pac: I wrote a song a few months ago because I was bored. It was a sort of silly irish-y folky song, so I sent the words to my mate who also likes the genre because he could appreciate more than others. He said he couldn't get a feel for it without hearing it, so I begrudgingly sent him an MP3 of me.. he stuck in on his iPod, the twat... played it at a party a few weeks ago, I could've killed him I was so embarrassed :o:o
    Sounds strange but I havn't heard a lot of people playing the banjo. I was at this charity thing on Friday and this band played irish music (also obsessed with irish music - i'm not crazy just have things i like :o) and it was amazing. Then i youtubed the banjo and i now love it too.
    Really? I always got the impression the banjo was a fairly commonly played instrument over there. It is a great instrument though. I'm obsessed with Irish music too btw, there's nothing wrong with being different! :P

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

brummytom wrote: »

What makes a singer for you, it's more than just hitting the right notes - what would make you take notice and listen to their voice?

when they OD on coke and end up fucking their life up.

Thats Entertainment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

liah wrote: »
    Cowboy Junkies' "Sweet Jane
    Aw weird. I just put that on, having listened to Mazzy Star's Fade Into You - totally associate them with each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Dudess wrote: »
    Aw weird. I just put that on, having listened to Mazzy Star's Fade Into You - totally associate them with each other.

Both fantastic songs. But Sweet Jane just gets me, the way she sings it, just.. I don't even know. It's not even a particularly rangey song. It's lovely though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

Oh right, yep.. same. I sing to myself like a madman :pac: I wrote a song a few months ago because I was bored. It was a sort of silly irish-y folky song, so I sent the words to my mate who also likes the genre because he could appreciate more than others. He said he couldn't get a feel for it without hearing it, so I begrudgingly sent him an MP3 of me.. he stuck in on his iPod, the twat... played it at a party a few weeks ago, I could've killed him I was so embarrassed :o:o

Really? I always got the impression the banjo was a fairly commonly played instrument over there. It is a great instrument though. I'm obsessed with Irish music too btw, there's nothing wrong with being different! :P

What did people think at the party? I'm sure they loved it and your friend was trying to show everyone, although in saying that i don't know your friend.. Irish Folk songs rock!

It probably is, i wouldn't mind by i do irish dancing so you'd think i'd have heard it more than most. Maybe i did but didn't notice, but i will from now on.

Yeah it's no fun being normal :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭*eadaoin

interesting thread! :) i'm assuming that you're asking about actual decent singers and not people in today's pop industry who often get away with being not such a great singer but a good performer/good looking?

i've spoken about this recently with my music teacher, we agreed while opinion on what a good singer is can be very diverse what it comes down to for us is if you would actually pay to hear someone sing. and i don't mean pay to see a whole show like the kind of thing singers like britney or kylie put on these days, but i mean literally pay money to hear them use their voice.

as for what actually makes a good singer i believe is a mixture of things, but the main ingredient i look for is passion for what they're doing, when they are singing they are essentially telling you a story and you have to believe them. i guess in the same way a good book or film will draw you into a story.

there are lots of people with good voices out there but i think to be a really good singer you have to work hard at it on all the technical stuff like breathing etc. as well as having the ability to express the meaning of the song with your voice. sometimes things like talent come naturally, but i don't think being a top quality singer comes too easily, it takes hard work and determination :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Sweet Jane just gets me, the way she sings it, just.. I don't even know. It's not even a particularly rangey song. It's lovely though.
    I way prefer it to the original.

Actually, I think I'll put in an honest, full answer for this, but it does relate to my first comment.

You gotta have soul.

It's just that thing. You need to have confidence in your voice, you gotta be able to translate the emotion of the song and send it out through your vocal chords. You have to capture the spirit of the meaning and convey it perfectly. You know how you can always tell when a singer is smiling? It's kinda like that. It's something subtle, but you just know it's there. It's an attitude, a personality. It's nearly an entity of its own. It makes you feel how it wants you to feel and doesn't leave you any other choice.

Loreena McKennit has one of those voices. Roy Orbison, as I mentioned earlier. Regina Spektor in her song "Samson," christ, it's all over that song. It's such a simple little song but there's just so much soul in it, it's effortless and it's believable. 4 Non Blondes' "What's Going On." Cowboy Junkies' "Sweet Jane." Eisley's "Golly Sandra." Obadiah Parker's "Hey Ya." Joan Baez's "Diamonds and Rust." Cat Steven's "Father and Son." Johnny Cash's cover of "Hurt."

If you force it, people can tell. It's just not the same. Real, proper singers put their whole heart and soul into their songs, and that's what's attractive about it.

i think you've really put your finger on it, this is what really attracts me to particular singers. if i don't believe someone, or if they're trying too hard with it, then it's no good to my ears. it's got to sound natural and unforced and you can feel the emotion in every word regardless of what they're singing about.

What did people think at the party? I'm sure they loved it and your friend was trying to show everyone, although in saying that i don't know your friend.. Irish Folk songs rock!

It probably is, i wouldn't mind by i do irish dancing so you'd think i'd have heard it more than most. Maybe i did but didn't notice, but i will from now on.

Yeah it's no fun being normal :rolleyes:

Erm.. people liked it, they said. But teenagers are liars aren't they? :P
    Yeah that's what he said he was doing, just playing it so other people could do it.. he's meant to be my best mate but I still think he did it to piss me off :P

Oh cool.. Irish dancers impress me so much, I can't dance for toffee. I know a few girls who do it, and I'm still in awe every time I see it.
    Banjo's don't seemed to be used in the music though, it tends to be Fiddles/Whistles/Flutes/Eileann Pipes for dancing music.

And it's not! Who wants to be someone who just listens to the same music as everyone else? I mean, I like 'normal' music but I'm obsessed with Irish music.. and fúcking proud too :D
    *eadaoin wrote: »
    interesting thread! i'm assuming that you're asking about actual decent singers and not people in today's pop industry who often get away with being not such a great singer but a good performer/good looking?
    Yep, that's what I mean. The voice itself, not the rest of the commercial rubbish :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭pipelaser

This Cat certainly got what it takes.
    Unbelievably hard song to sing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nX9LSOshOYY

kenon wrote: »
    Freddie Mercury is my favorite all time singer, I think very little needs to be said about his singing prowess.

freddie was a superstar, he really knew how to use his voice to its best potential and you always feel like you're having a good time listening to him perform (from the recordings i've heard anyway!). i think he also had a lot of charisma, people really liked him and that always helps if you want to be a lead singer!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

eVeNtInE wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Yeah, I suppose you're right. My dad loves Bob Dylan's voice. While I'm in awe of his song-writing skills, his voice just doesn't do it for me. My dad questions how I can say I don't like Bob Dylan's voice when I like Ronnie Drews :P

I think, also, song singers just have a presence about them I suppose.
    A lad randomly popped up on msn telling me he loved the song "Building up and tearing down England" and talking about Ronnie's voice. I asked him had he listened to Luke Kelly, he said he'd never heard of it. So I gave him the link to this:

He said after 33 seconds he'd already favourited it. Anyone I've ever tried to show that Irish music contains some amazing singers, I've started off by playing that song to them.

I don't know what it is, there's an amazing presence, power, emotion to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭K-Ren

I feel that in general, it's just what sounds good to you, what you feel when you hear it, that's what so great about music. Bob Dylan's voice on Blonde On Blonde just makes me smile, it's so cool and weird. By the same token McCartney rocking out on something like I've Got A Feeling/Helter Skelter or the ethereal Lennon and Harrison on Happiness Is A Warm Gun or Within Without You. It just sounds great.

There's obviously another side to singing too, people like Roy Orbison or Minnie Riperton are technically good because people with vocal ranges like them don't come along very often.

Either way, it usually makes for some good listening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Rev. BlueJeans

Thanks for sharing. That was a song of my late father's, that I haven't thought of in over a decade, good to hear it again.

Interesting thread. I try to do the best I can with the one and a bit octaves at my disposal, and the nine or so chords I have on the acoustic (one at a time that is!).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Dudess wrote: »
    I way prefer it to the original.

:eek: It's good but it's not that good.

OT: Pro Tools with Auto Tune plugin ftw*. Just don't go mad with it like Cher.

*I don't actually believe this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

It's all very subjective. I think Bjork is an amazing singer, yet most people I know can't stand her.

There are a few traits that help though - having soul and authenticity are vital, and it's great if someone can sing effortlessly. The best female voice I can think of in those terms is Cat Power - on top of all that her voice is simultaneously melancholic and sexy. :P

Having a great vocal range doesn't really make one a great singer though. I'd always prefer an average singer singing a great song than a technically-fantastic singer singing a rubbish song*. I can appreciate that Celine Dion and Mariah Carey can reach extremely high notes but it doesn't make me want to listen to them. I'm sure Elvis had a good voice but apart from "Suspicious Minds" I wouldn't sit down and listen to him.

Yes, I realise this drags up the issue of "What is a good song"....but I couldn't be bothered getting into that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mattfender

So what does make a good singer?

Autotune

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Having lots of neighbouring countries according to the eurovision song contest :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

There are so many male and female singers I like .Some of the more well known already mentioned like Lennon / McCartney / Harrison ,Bob Dylan , Barbra Striesend , Whitney Hueston , Roy Orbison , Dusty Springfiled, Frank Sinatra, Katherine Jenkins ,the high falsetto voice and harmonies of Brian Wilson and the Beach boys are amazing .All above and hundreds more from recent times have that something special .The list is endless

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

All you have to do is go oooooohhh ooooooooohh ooooooooooooooohh at the end of every verse and you're a great singer. You can't actually hear it because it's text, but imagine the oooooooohhh's wobbling a bit too.

70 billion* people voting for x factor wannabes cann't be wrong.

*Before some 16 year old girl comes along and tells me that we don't have 70 billion people on the planet and that the two lads from Lucan are soooooooooooooooooo hot, I should point out the number is somewhat of an exaggeration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

Emotion!!! When a singer believes in what they are singing it makes a world of difference. Thats why some of the best singers in the world arent traditionally great singers but theres an honesty and rawness to their voice that makes it so enjoyable. At the end of the day singers are story tellers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

It's a great question; but one, like most questions, that can never be definitively answered.
    I'd count amongst my favourite singers some who would be considered technically gifted and some who would be considered anything but.
    And same goes for some singers I can barely listen to.
    I'd differentiate, though, between someone who sings in musicals, etc and someone who is singing from an artistic standpoint - seeking to express themselves.
    In a musical the premium is obviously on technical ability and 'selling the song', as they say - more akin to acting. X-factor contestants would come under this banner also.
    At the risk of sounding even more pretentious than i already have, I'd say true art is more an exorcism of the soul; it doesn't require technical excellence nor exclude it.
    Just needs to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭enniscorthy

hiya mate you want a good singer have a listen to TOMMY BYRNE on the album LET THE PEOPLE SING the wolfe tones 1972 brill

lead vocal on songs

snowy breasted pearl
    dont stop me now
    the first of may
    for ireland id not tell her name
    a nation once again

10/10

If you take somebody like Aretha Franklin ,somebody who I would consider to be a ' natural ' singer who sings from the soul .That's a gift ,you cant buy that .Same with Roy Orbison .Who could sing the way he did ? He was a one off but like all singers would have being influenced by what had gone before him and what was around at the time .But his voice like Arethas was natural .

hiya mate you want a good singer have a listen to TOMMY BYRNE on the album LET THE PEOPLE SING the wolfe tones 1972 brill

lead vocal on songs

snowy breasted pearl
    dont stop me now
    the first of may
    for ireland id not tell her name
    a nation once again

10/10

Yeah, he's another great one - Irish music has some real gems.

Just rediscovered this video

Absolutely amazing.. I got all choked up when I first heard it :o

One popular singer at the moment who really stands out for me is Jennifer Hudson; she reminds me of Aretha Franklin.. she has a same sort of natural soul that Latchy was talking about.
    Me and a mate were talking about Eva Cassidy the other night, a phenomenal voice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

Yeah, he's another great one - Irish music has some real gems.

One popular singer at the moment who really stands out for me is Jennifer Hudson; she reminds me of Aretha Franklin.. she has a same sort of natural soul that Latchy was talking about.
    Me and a mate were talking about Eva Cassidy the other night, a phenomenal voice

Shes an unbelievable singer. Truely one of the best. Better live than she was on recod. An idol of mine :)

She had her mother and nephew murdered last year right ?

She has an amazing voice indeed

• Advertisement

Her version of Fields of Gold blows Sting out of the water; her version of Songbird kills Fleetwood Mac. I don't normally like covers, but I don't think I've heard a bad song from her

Latchy wrote: »
    She had her mother and nephew murdered last year right ?

She has an amazing voice indeed

That's the one.
    I don't even think that song showcases her true talents. Came across her a few years ago in the film Dreamgirls, absolutely unbelievable. She did 'And I'm Telling You I'm Not Going' (can't find it on YT), it was breathtaking.

This was her first performance after those murders:

Just amazing

Advertisement