Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2 check points in 2 minutes.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Passed a checkpoint on Windmill Road in Crumlin at lunchtime on Friday, just seemed to be checking discs.

Passed the aftermath of a checkpoint just at the brow of the hill outside Mountrath heading inwards 90mins later(and thank you you tools for causing an even bigger tailback in a renowned traffic blackspot).

Passed a hairdryer on the N69 just before Mungret shooting fish in a barrel.

I feel extra safe this weekend from this smart, intelligent policing.

(Although the female gardai in the checkpoint was very nice and friendly <3)

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭coffey-16

cascade35 wrote: »
    Our local paper had an article on Thursday, saying the guards were going to be out in force this bank holiday weekend.

Left my house in Clonmel at 11pm last night, got to the convent bridge and met the first check point, then met a second one by woodies.

Friend of mine met a third one on the Heywood road, not sure what time but it shows they Clonmel guards mean business this weekend.

Fair play to the guards as they are trying to stop drink driving etc, i never mind been stopped.

Just wondering if they are out in force across the country.

Went through 2 checkpoints in Clonmel also last night. One just before Tesco and one just off the moangarriff roundabout...they're out in force this holiday weekend

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 68,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

not had more than a disc check in 15 months, my car seems to suggest 'wave me through'. now that i've said that i'll be pulled tonight with my licence in the other car mind!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 68,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

MYOB wrote: »
    not had more than a disc check in 15 months, my car seems to suggest 'wave me through'. now that i've said that i'll be pulled tonight with my licence in the other car mind!

Bingo!

Checkpoint at Esso Maynooth just now, just wanted a few words, checked the discs and sent me on. Had there been licence issues at least it was outside my house basically not in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Tragedy wrote: »
    Passed a checkpoint on Windmill Road in Crumlin at lunchtime on Friday, just seemed to be checking discs.

Passed the aftermath of a checkpoint just at the brow of the hill outside Mountrath heading inwards 90mins later(and thank you you tools for causing an even bigger tailback in a renowned traffic blackspot).

If you can enlighten us to a more intelligent way of policing we are all ears.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 KimHawkins

kbannon wrote: »
    Why? ?

I am not willing to give up what few freedoms I have remaining in the name of "safety".
    Would you not prefer that the gardai have a visible presence on the roads trying to make them safer?

No. I don't like revenue generation exercises.
    Do you D&D?

Don't even drink

Publicity campaign; "ROAD SAFETY"

Reality ; "REVENUE GENERATION".

Will the people ever learn?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

KimHawkins wrote: »
    I am not willing to give up what few freedoms I have remaining in the name of "safety".

Last year there were about 50 murders in the state......

Last year there were 276 road deaths (down 62 from 2007)

So now.......road safety emmmm. Ya with the reduction in the deaths it must be all a revenue generating exercise!!

With the amount of road deaths in the country I will make no excuse for a Garda doing his job. Speeding is speeding. Drink driving is drink driving.

Sometimes I wonder would a lot of Irish People last in countries like Poland, Spain and Germany where the penalties are much much harsher and you cannot, in alot of cases, win any appeal.

Will the people ever learn?

God would you believe every fatal accident I go to (and by god have I gone to too many) I think the EXACT same thing......

Speeding is speeding.

ANd shooting fish in a barrel is revenue generation.

Sometimes I wonder would a lot of Irish People last in countries like Poland, Spain and Germany where the penalties are much much harsher and you cannot, in alot of cases, win any appeal.

So they are even more totalitarian, is that what you are saying. Look, have you ever seen the film "the departed". You should watch it, yer man Damon says "if there were no criminals , f'uck I'd just arrest innocent people".

God would you believe every fatal accident I go to (and by god have I gone to too many) I think the EXACT same thing......

It's a numbers game. There are 500,000 cars on the raod in this country. YOu are going to get some crashes, if you can't accept that and move on then you should not travel. I have accepted this and I will not give up my rights to unrestricted travel in the name of "safety".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭cascade35

Just reading down through the replys, and it would seem you are right.
    they had the whole town covered as another op met two more check points at the far end of the town.

I should of said that i was not stopped at the first check point but i was at the second one.

I presume that last night another town in the county would of had the same total enclousure.

Well if it took another drink driver off the road or saved someones life then its well worth the minute or so it takes to get through a check point.

Must also say ive told alot of friends about the checkpoints and im sure they told afew more people so the word will spread that the guards are out and about so this could help stop someone who was thinking of driving when they should'nt.

Hey next weekend is going to be a tough one for the boys in blue, bonfires,fireworks,drunken fools and what have you.

cascade35 wrote: »
    Just reading down through the replys, and it would seem you are right.
    they had the whole town covered as another op met two more check points at the far end of the town.

These town lockdowns are getting practised over in the UK as well.

Makes one wonder, are they preparing for trouble in the future where towns will be locked down.

Who knows?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Tragedy

TheNog wrote: »
    If you can enlighten us to a more intelligent way of policing we are all ears.
    Have checkpoints in areas people are actually likely to speed dangerously? I've never, not ONCE seen a gatso/speedgun anywhere that didn't seem to be a way to catch people out - rather than a way to make a dangerous road well known for speeding safer.
    Not once.

Using a speedgun on a 60km/hr section of the N69 where there are no houses or schools or any real reason for it to be so slow is not making ANYONE safer, it just pisses people off and tarnishes AGS' reputation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

ANd shooting fish in a barrel is revenue generation.

It is quite clear to every motorist out there that it is against the law to break the speed limits so in reality this "shooting fish in a barrel" are pretty stupid fish in the first place and these stupid fish are the "revenue generators".

It's a numbers game. There are 500,000 cars on the raod in this country. YOu are going to get some crashes, if you can't accept that and move on then you should not travel. I have accepted this and I will not give up my rights to unrestricted travel in the name of "safety".

Quite an immature view on driving to be honest. Of course there are going to collisions but why shouldnt we reduce deaths and serious injuries?
    Have checkpoints in areas people are actually likely to speed dangerously?

Checkpoints are not for catching speeders. Checkpoints are for tax, insurance, driving licence and to curb the movements of criminals.
    I've never, not ONCE seen a gatso/speedgun anywhere that didn't seem to be a way to catch people out - rather than a way to make a dangerous road well known for speeding safer.
    Not once.

If you look through several threads of this type you will find why locations are chosen for speed checks and why some locations are not suitable.
    Using a speedgun on a 60km/hr section of the N69 where there are no houses or schools or any real reason for it to be so slow is not making ANYONE safer, it just pisses people off and tarnishes AGS' reputation.

But surely there is a reason why the speed is reduced in that area. Im sure if you think about it, the council would not spend money on signs, road markings etc for absolutely nothing. There has to be a reason for it.

So they are even more totalitarian, is that what you are saying. Look, have you ever seen the film "the departed". You should watch it, yer man Damon says "if there were no criminals , f'uck I'd just arrest innocent people".

Yes yes of course....if it was in a hollywood film it must be true:rolleyes:

How are checkpoints restricting your travel?? If you have nothing to hide??

Road deaths are down a hell of a lot. And whether people here care to agree or not I really dont care, but the reduction is due to more Traffic Corps members, more speed checks, better legislation, penalty points and mandatory alcohol checkpoints.

Its a combination of breaches of the RTA that make up a fatal collision.......its a combination of inforcement of that same act that reduces the incidence of fatal collisions
    Have checkpoints in areas people are actually likely to speed dangerously? I've never, not ONCE seen a gatso/speedgun anywhere that didn't seem to be a way to catch people out - rather than a way to make a dangerous road well known for speeding safer.
    Not once.

Ok firstly 60 kmph zones are not just thrown up for the hell of it. There must be a reason. Councils and the NRA must have a reason. IE it may be entering a built up area, school zone, road works etc.

Now how can you say speed detection is not making anyone safer, pisses people off and tarnishes AGS?? I regularly do speed check on what the motorists I stop shout back is the "safest in the country".......I just turn and point at the headstone behind me......that generally shuts people up. Just because you cant see a danger doesnt mean there is no danger.

How are checkpoints restricting your travel?? If you have nothing to hide??.

I don't want to be backed up in traffic and I don't want to talk to any coppers.

Nothing to hide?? What are you on about?
    Road deaths are down a hell of a lot. And whether people here care to agree or not I really dont care, but the reduction is due to more Traffic Corps members, more speed checks, better legislation, penalty points and mandatory alcohol checkpoints.

You would claim anything as your doing. The fact of the matter is this, thanks to the collapse of the economy road usage is down considerably, probably reflected in a corresponding reduction in road deaths.

And all this gulit tripping, as I said before, I am NOT willing to give up my rights for some imaginary safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Ian Beale

I don't want to be backed up in traffic and I don't want to talk to any coppers.

Nothing to hide?? What are you on about?

You would claim anything as your doing. The fact of the matter is this, thanks to the collapse of the economy road usage is down considerably, probably reflected in a corresponding reduction in road deaths.

And all this gulit tripping, as I said before, I am NOT willing to give up my rights for some imaginary safety.
    That's a good one, the recession has brought down car crash fatalities:rolleyes: and what rights are you giving up exactly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

More checkpoints FTW

• Advertisement

Ian Beale wrote: »
    That's a good one, the recession has brought down car crash fatalities:rolleyes:

It's quite simple really. If there is one fatality for every 10,000 journeys, then a corresponding reduction in journeys will result in a reduction in deaths.

and what rights are you giving up exactly?

The right to travel about unhindered.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭slickmcvic

never got breathalysed before this weekend!!
    ...got bagged twice in diferent areas of wicklow last night...the checkpoints were very visible on the road.....came accross 1 yesterday afternoon in donnybrook as well.....i dont have a problem with the 1's at night but really think the morning checkpoints are just their to catch people out...the lads in wicklow were fairly sound and let the "more than tipsy" gf have a go on the machine.....she failed!!
    8329_160142971438_641201438_2805631_7493359_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

It's quite simple really. If there is one fatality for every 10,000 journeys, then a corresponding reduction in journeys will result in a reduction in deaths.

youre not being hindered. Occasional checkpoints to make sure that you are conforming to the road traffic laws...as long as you are adhering to them, what have you to be worried about? A quick glance at the disks, licence, and blow into the breathalyser, and off you go. Yes yes you are obeying and dont want to be 'hindered', but what about the drunken fool in the next car along?
    Grow up.

ottostreet wrote: »
    youre not being hindered. Occasional checkpoints to make sure that you are conforming to the road traffic laws...as long as you are adhering to them, what have you to be worried about? A quick glance at the disks, licence, and blow into the breathalyser, and off you go. Yes yes you are obeying and dont want to be 'hindered', but what about the drunken fool in the next car along?
    Grow up.

I find the idea of someone asking me to blow into a machine very degrading, but that is another issue.

As for other people, what they do is their business. I am not into pre crime, if a person crashes drunk as a skunk they should be locked up.

I find the idea of someone asking me to blow into a machine very degrading, but that is another issue.

As for other people, what they do is their business. I am not into pre crime, if a person crashes drunk as a skunk they should be locked up.

you may find it degrading, but its not like you are the ONLY person the gardai will have selected. i dont know what patterns they use, such as every third car along, every red honda, etc etc. but you, as a motorist, are obliged to put up with the occasional checkpoint, the exact same as everyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

So many replies, so little time..............:pac:

As Ottostreet said, If you've dont nothing wrong, you shouldnt be worried about anything. The Garda is only doing his job. I'd imagine if a drunk driver crashed into you tonight, there would be a thread on here in the morning asking why the Gardai havent got their finger out on a bank holiday weekend.

More than likely it's because they were all tied up dealing with drivers who didnt want to blow into a breathaliser.

BTW, what has driving a Red Honda got to do with anything? Does every other car have some machine in it to prevent it from being driven by a drunk driver?

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Ian Beale

Right so your basing that out on (made up) averages which have no bearing on actual crashes, this is the real world not a mathematical problem there can be more fatalities even with less people on the roads and as for your right to travel unhindered, if you use the road then you have to stop at checkpoints, that's not a breach of your rights that's the law and God forbid if it slows you down for a few minutes, personally I think it's worth that 5 minutes if drunk drivers are caught and are taken off the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,740 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

While I agree with you insofar that exercises such as camping out on the side of a motorway/wide N-road or ticketing cars for being on a double-yellow ONLY in the last week of a month is just a cynical means of generating revenue and stats to be appearing to be doing something, I have NO issue whatsoever with drink driving checkpoints and as others have said, if anything there should be more of them!

As for pre-crime... ever heard the phrase: prevention is better than cure? Surely it's better to detect and prevent someone from killing themselves (and maybe others) after a few drinks, rather than lament the fact after?

So many replies, so little time..............:pac:

As Ottostreet said, If you've dont nothing wrong, you shouldnt be worried about anything. The Garda is only doing his job. I'd imagine if a drunk driver crashed into you tonight, there would be a thread on here in the morning asking why the Gardai havent got their finger out on a bank holiday weekend.

More than likely it's because they were all tied up dealing with drivers who didnt want to blow into a breathaliser.

BTW, what has driving a Red Honda got to do with anything? Does every other car have some machine in it to prevent it from being driven by a drunk driver?

lol..no, i was just picking a random pattern..like...every red honda gets breathalysed, every third car along, every merc...whichever!

• Advertisement

Right so your basing that out on averages which have no bearing on actual crashes, this is the real world not a mathematical problem there can be more fatalities even with less people on the roads and

The real world is similar to a mathematical problem in a lot of cases.

Do you know anything about the insurance business??? Small groups of numbers are random, large groups are very easy to predict.

Advertisement