Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2 check points in 2 minutes.

Options
  • 24-10-2009 3:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭

Our local paper had an article on Thursday, saying the guards were going to be out in force this bank holiday weekend.

Left my house in Clonmel at 11pm last night, got to the convent bridge and met the first check point, then met a second one by woodies.

Friend of mine met a third one on the Heywood road, not sure what time but it shows they Clonmel guards mean business this weekend.

Fair play to the guards as they are trying to stop drink driving etc, i never mind been stopped.

Just wondering if they are out in force across the country.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Hopefully they mount checkpoints between 1am and 5am, ie the time where most people actually drink drive and die.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 KimHawkins

cascade35 wrote: »
    i never mind been stopped.

i do.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

KimHawkins wrote: »
    i do.
    Why? Would you not prefer that the gardai have a visible presence on the roads trying to make them safer?
    Do you D&D?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭AugustusMaximus

No problem with checkpoints.

I've got bagged 5 or 6 times at this stage and if it helps as a deterent to drink driving then I'm all for it.

Got bagged coming back from the gym once. Was in a pair of shorts and a t-shirt and a bit sweaty. Garda still tested me mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Maybe he liked the look of you :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

No problem with checkpoints.

I've got bagged 5 or 6 times at this stage and if it helps as a deterent to drink driving then I'm all for it.

Got bagged coming back from the gym once. Was in a pair of shorts and a t-shirt and a bit sweaty. Garda still tested me mind.

You must have that look about you

• Registered Users Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭flanzer

I collected the outlaws from the O2 last Saturday night/Sunday morning and got bagged on the Malahide Road. I then did some night work on Thursday night and got bagged again on the Oscar Traynor Road. That's twice in the space of 5 days and here's me thinkin that was a record!

Fair play to the Gards. Keep up the good work

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

I'm all for the guards bagging drivers too and anything that cuts road fatalities is to be welcomed as long as they get their priorites right and go after the scumbags terrorising and mugging old vulnerable peolpe in towns and cities also. My uncle who is now quite elderly was attacked by a group of youths while parked up and eating a fish and chip in his car some months back. He went to the guards and it was almost as if they didn't want to know about it. No revenue collection involved in catching these scumbags I'm thinking.

My point is gardai resources should be proiritised where needed. Roads need to be policed granted, but if this is at the cost of people getting mugged, beaten up, stabed on the streets etc. well...

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Overature

you were obviously on a race track that the guards set up, not your fault though, gaurds were properly board

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Good idea lets stop people on the way to the pub that way we can be home in time for X-Factor.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭AugustusMaximus

jackncoke wrote: »
    You must have that look about you

Trust me, I don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

I still haven't been bagged in 14 years :D

It's good to see them out so much though, it's more than the roads that are kept safe too, it restricts/disturbs criminal elements from moving about the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Ian Beale

1st page and there's already Garda bashing,their damned if they do and damned if they don't,it's the traffic corps that's their job and for the sake of being inconveinced for 2 minutes I for one are glad to see them operating these checkpoints.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Haven't been bagged in Cork in about a year, but was bagged about 10 times in the space of a month then, I don't mind being bagged at night time or up to 4-5am in the morning, but being bagged the next day is wrong, I was probably over the limit at 12pm today but I was driving and I felt fine, this crap they say about the smallest amount of drink affecting you is bull****, I spent 40 euro on taxi's last night because I won't drink and drive, however I will drive when I have had a nights sleep and sobered up.

Dave147 wrote: »
    I spent 40 euro on taxi's last night because I won't drink and drive

yeah I spent €1.89 on a loaf of bread today cos I won't steal, life's a bitch isn't it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Absurdum wrote: »
    yeah I spent €1.89 on a loaf of bread today cos I won't steal, life's a bitch isn't it

You were robbed! :p

I don't know what's worse, you coming onto boards trying to be clever or the fact you remember exactly how much you spent on a loaf of bread.. Before you retort, I rounded my taxi expenses off to 40 euro.

I don't know what's worse, you coming onto boards trying to be clever or the fact you remember exactly how much you spent on a loaf of bread.. Before you retort, I rounded my taxi expenses off to 40 euro.

You're in no position to admonish me.
    I was probably over the limit at 12pm today but I was driving and I felt fine, this crap they say about the smallest amount of drink affecting you is bull****

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Haven't been bagged in Cork in about a year, but was bagged about 10 times in the space of a month then, I don't mind being bagged at night time or up to 4-5am in the morning, but being bagged the next day is wrong, I was probably over the limit at 12pm today but I was driving and I felt fine, this crap they say about the smallest amount of drink affecting you is bull****, I spent 40 euro on taxi's last night because I won't drink and drive, however I will drive when I have had a nights sleep and sobered up.
    If you'd sobered up then you'd have no problem passing a breathylizer test. You're either sober or you're not, the time of day is irrelevant.

Anan1 wrote: »
    If you'd sobered up then you'd have no problem passing a breathylizer test. You're either sober or you're not, the time of day is irrelevant.

Where'd you get that from? What's your definition of sober? In fact I probably wasn't over the limit, but it's possible. I finished drinking at 1am and got up at 11.30, I had 5 pints of heineken 2 bottles and a bottle of cider, not a huge amount but if a Gard breathalised me this morning then I don't know if I'd be under, I drink about every 2 months and have never driven after drinking on a night out.

Point is, I may think I'm sober, feel perfect, drive somewhere safely and drive back no problem and not feel any different to any other day, however I may be over the limit, I've no way of knowing*

*without buying my own breathaliser.

• Advertisement

You're in no position to admonish me.

Really.. because I drove at 12pm today after 11 hours rest from drinking the night before, when will all this ****e end? I'm not a drink driver, I have no problem paying for taxi's on a night out etc because I don't want to drive so I don't kill myself or someone else driving drunk, however I still believe breathalising someone going to work is wrong.

Queue Absurdum trying to come up with another clever response to improve his thanks count, pathetic, save it for after hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭samsamson

Fair play to them, the more random testing the better. A more even presence across all areas rather than focussing intensely on an area for short periods of time would be better though.

I still believe breathalising someone going to work is wrong.
    If your over the limit your over the limit regardless of what time it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

O/P this was more than likely operation surround.

The idea is for all divisional traffic units to converge on a town and surround it for a night covering all exit roads and preforming mandatory alcohol checkpoints on them. Very effective and very high vis.

Also on the other comments on next day breath tests etc. If you under your grand. If your over well then your over. It doesnt matter if its X amount of hours after your last drink....the readings never lie.

Not on my high horse but I dont drink very often but when I do I adopt a 12 hour rule. If I finish at 2am the I wont drive until after 2pm that day. Just my 2 cents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Dancing_Priest

I adopt a 12 hour rule. If I finish at 2am the I wont drink until after 2pm that day. Just my 2 cents.
    :confused::confused::confused::confused:

I find that a revovery time of one hour per unit does me just fine. It's simpler than, well... I'm not sure really, WTF!

O/P this was more than likely operation surround.

The idea is for all divisional traffic units to converge on a town and surround it for a night covering all exit roads and preforming mandatory alcohol checkpoints on them. Very effective and very high vis.

Also on the other comments on next day nreath tests etc. If you under your grand. If your over well then your over. It doesnt matter if its X amount of hours after your last drink....the readings never lie.

Not on my high horse but I dont drink very often but when I do I adopt a 12 hour rule. If I finish at 2am the I wont drive until after 2pm that day. Just my 2 cents.
    Fixed your post :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Dancing_Priest

Aha!:D
    Not a hitherto unheard of way of evading detection :(
    Darn, it sounded fun though.
    'Oh, It was a heavy one last night boss, Better neck a few at luch or I'll be over the limit on the way home':pac::pac::pac::pac:

I hate this black and white attitude to drink driving, where does it end, what about when they introduce a 0 alcohol limit. Then they really catch people on Monday mornings, I've never blown anything more than 0 on a breathaliser, I really don't know how many pints I could have to be over the limit, I drink maybe one occasion every two months, I just have more important things to do, like playing computer games etc :P

I must get a breathaliser and test myself until I get over the limit to see how I feel, and do another test in the morning, I'd be really interested to see the results seeing as I'm a very occasional drinker and only weigh 68kg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭KC JONES

I must get a breathaliser and test myself until I get over the limit to see how I feel, and do another test in the morning, I'd be really interested to see the results seeing as I'm a very occasional drinker and only weigh 68kg.
    I am going to do that too just out of curiousity tho I never drink when driving. But the problem as I see it is that if there is a diference between the breathaliser we could buy differed in a reading from the garda's, it is their reading that would be official isn't it?

I wonder how accurate the ones to be bought are

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,422 ✭✭✭✭cson

I'll say this much; its a fair long breath to be taking when your on the way home after playing a match! :p

Advertisement