Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Is Your Highest Break??

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Buuuummp.

My highest is a 57. Acheived 50+ four times this year so far. Quite happy thus far as my highest previously was 39 EVER. :)

i know this is probably a bit simplistic but if you can make regular 50s you can make centuries. It's just 2x 50s in the same break....... Willie Thorne is a big advocate of that logic. i took up snooker very late, started at 14. Between 14 and 17 my highest break was 59. When i made my first 50 thought to myself "i'll never have another!". I didn't play all that much. My club handicap started at +35. When i was 17 i played the whole summer flat out, starting making regular 60/70/80s, made 1 breakthrough century and had 20 tons in the next 2 months. My club handicap went to -40.

Personally what i found to be the best way of improving, was to take a consistent beating. Used to play a lot with players infinitely better than me. Used to play best-of-19s that summer against ridiculously good players, ex-national champions, ex-pros. They wouldnt have wanted to play me but i used to effectively bribe them by saying "i'll play you for 40 quid off scratch". Which was a donation of course. took a lot of 10-0 hammerings ,sat out a lot of century breaks. In the end though, your safety improves so much. You get sick of them knocking in breaks so your safety gets better which leads to more chances for yourself.

In terms of practise routines, there are so many, but personally i think a very good one is to place reds on all the coloured spots. So you have 6 reds on spots. Routine is simple, keep potting reds and replacing them. You cant pot the same red twice in a row. It's excellent for positional play and concentration. It's very boring and repetitive. When you miss, the count starts back to zero. Just try pot as many as you can without missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭bradolf pittler

i know this is probably a bit simplistic but if you can make regular 50s you can make centuries. It's just 2x 50s in the same break....... Willie Thorne is a big advocate of that logic. i took up snooker very late, started at 14. Between 14 and 17 my highest break was 59. When i made my first 50 thought to myself "i'll never have another!". I didn't play all that much. My club handicap started at +35. When i was 17 i played the whole summer flat out, starting making regular 60/70/80s, made 1 breakthrough century and had 20 tons in the next 2 months. My club handicap went to -40.

Personally what i found to be the best way of improving, was to take a consistent beating. Used to play a lot with players infinitely better than me. Used to play best-of-19s that summer against ridiculously good players, ex-national champions, ex-pros. They wouldnt have wanted to play me but i used to effectively bribe them by saying "i'll play you for 40 quid off scratch". Which was a donation of course. took a lot of 10-0 hammerings ,sat out a lot of century breaks. In the end though, your safety improves so much. You get sick of them knocking in breaks so your safety gets better which leads to more chances for yourself.

In terms of practise routines, there are so many, but personally i think a very good one is to place reds on all the coloured spots. So you have 6 reds on spots. Routine is simple, keep potting reds and replacing them. You cant pot the same red twice in a row. It's excellent for positional play and concentration. It's very boring and repetitive. When you miss, the count starts back to zero. Just try pot as many as you can without missing.

I'd totally agree with playing better players to gain experience,you can learn so much from watching the shots they play and the way they can control the white around the black\pink spot area.i remember playing an ex-international once,he made a century without the white ball touching a cushion,all soft screw shots and precise cannons,beautiful to watch.
    i used to make tons for fun when i played seriously years back,crowning glorys being a 139 in a ranking event in carlow and a 136 in the all-ireland club champs in kilarney.missed the brown for a max years ago and have never gotten as close since.highest break is 143 5 TIMES!!!!!!!!!all in practise tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭robfullam

Playing snooker a month now... Highest break is 13.. Im well proud :o

• Site Banned Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭Silvio.Dante

robfullam wrote: »
    Playing snooker a month now... Highest break is 13.. Im well proud :o

Keep it up mate...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

19-25 but im all about the safety, that side of the game is where i shine. Usually play fouls only 1pt away on a red 2 on a colour because by the end you can get more points by fouls than points scored. The rightful winner usually emerges this way:).

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭Silvio.Dante

19-25 but im all about the safety, that side of the game is where i shine. Usually play fouls only 1pt away on a red 2 on a colour because by the end you can get more points by fouls than points scored. The rightful winner usually emerges this way:).

Grinder comes to mind...;)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

True, if my safety game was sub-par I'd be thrashed every week down at the snooker hall. Fortuntely I do very well and most of the time my break off shots are great. I've got a good cue action to almost snooker the fecker at every breakoff shot :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

True, if my safety game was sub-par I'd be thrashed every week down at the snooker hall. Fortuntely I do very well and most of the time my break off shots are great. I've got a good cue action to almost snooker the fecker at every breakoff shot :P

An add-on to the rule we play is if a snooker is about to be laid(we agree you need to audibly say 'snooker' when attempting a snooker) and you foul in the act of laying the snooker its maximum points away!. Its there to penalize and teach the smart ass failing in his negative play!.
    However if your successful in laying the snooker and the opponent fails to escape then you get the full points for the snooker. It goes both ways you see:)

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭babymanval

My highest break was 134; against a mate it was 125. In a competitive match it was 110 I believe. I was the absolute classic case of not enough match practice, leading to falling to pieces whenever I'd play in a tournament. Playing for a fiver/the bill or whatever is so so important to harden young players. I was playing since 14, and the folks happened to get a table in the house when I was 15 or so. Had a bit of guidance from knowing Michael Judge/Robbie Murphy/Eugene Hughes etc. Used to play about 6 hours+ a day.

By 18 or 19 I'd have a century or three most days in practice on my own, videoded my practice the odd time to send to PJ Nolan/others for advice. Even had 15 reds and 14 blacks one time ON CAMERA; Jawed the 15th black because I had left it too thin and and had to go in and out of balk off 3 cushions to get on yellow, which finished perfectly; I nearly cried! That standard diluted down to about a 70/80 every couple of matches in local tourneys/intervarsity college annual tourney. Played in a few RIBSA tourneys in Carlow and won a couple of first round matches against players who didn't have a clue who I was (Vincent Muldoon for one), but I was a bag of nerves the whole time, sometimes against mates too. All that was 10 years ago, I barely play now except when I'm at home and bored. I'm the guy at the pool table on holidays though who stays on for 10 games, while my girlfriend is pissed off in the background.

Interestingly, I picked up a set of darts for the first time a few months back and was bangin in 180's (had good few now) within a couple of weeks, I guess the sports are quite similar in terms of timing/sighting etc. I am fine under pressure when playing darts so I wonder what I'd be like playing snooker as an adult...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭beeroclock

zack01 wrote: »
    Don't play anymore but the best i had when i played was a 143 clearance in a pro-am in the UK in 1986, it was against Mike Hallett, that won me the first frame but i went on to lose the match 4-1! Recieved £25 and a crystal vase for it! I made a 100 exactly in a match in the Dublin Leagues a few years back but nowadays if i took the cue out and made 30 i'd be chuffed!!

Mind you in most clubs there are always some heavy scorers when they get in amongst the balls, but put them in a competition and add a bit of pressure and they fall apart.

Great idea for this thread though, and SIXPACK a 49 break is a decent enough break, well done.:)

Wow! never met anyone who got a break that high

• Advertisement
Advertisement