Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Is Your Highest Break??

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭InkSlinger67

120+

....back in the days before I discovered alcohol! :(

120+

Fair play.
    what sort of hours we're you putting in to get to that standard?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭InkSlinger67

syngindub wrote: »
    Fair play.
    what sort of hours we're you putting in to get to that standard?

5+ hours at the weekend plus the odd few hours during the week. Got too expensive in the end! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭kildare snooker

id be doing well to get close to 30break now,few years back in Blacks snooker club in old bawn in dublin were i would have played quite a bit my highest break was 108,im only 24 now so i suppsoe if i put some time in to playing again i could maybe do someting like that again

• Advertisement

Is Blacks still open?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

red brown red :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭SIX PACK

120+

yea alcohol doesn't do the nerves any justice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭consultech

azzeretti wrote: »
    I had a 128 once and loads of centeries. However, these were all in the club against club players. However, whenever I went to play in any tournament, Irish Ranking events etc. I was unable to reproduce anything near that. Maybe a few 90's.
    Someone mentioned it earlier in the thread but I know loads of really good players who would knock in centeries reguarly but once they got to a tournie they couldn't do it. There is one guy in particular that could have been really good if he'd had the bottle.

I haven't picked up my cue for over 10 years now. I wonder if I could even hold it!!

Same story here. I have a championship a table at home in my folks house and had it all through my teens. I used to play about 4-5 hours a day, just doing line-ups and different routines. I once made a 147 off a line-up!! (Doesnt count tho! :p)

134 is my highest break in a frame (9 reds+blacks until 72!), had a few centuries in competitions too. I probably made a century every day in practice on my own. I was a case of WAYYY too much practicing alone, so I always went to pieces playing against people in competitions. It used to be cripplingly frustrating - Being on the practice table at a tourney knocking in 50 after 50 with yer man shittin his bags watchin me - to not being able to make 24 half an hour later in the match.

Playing down the club for a few quid a frame/for the bill is a great way to harden you to th nerves.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭xabi_a

69 once, but it was a real once-off (up until then my highest was about 30).

Later I made 46 and 50, I'm actually more proud of those because they were deserved:-) At my best I'd have expected to make a couple of 30's in an evening's snooker. I think that's the best indicator of form.

As with most other people here, I've hardly picked up a cue in 10 years now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

13:o I was playing my mate who had lessons and was a league player. I played well, kept potting long reds then tying him up in safety battles. We were down to the pink and I was 17 behind, needing a snooker. I pot a great long pink then the black off its spot. I was chuffed. I know I lost the frame but the pink was in a place I could not snooker him, tried for ages before I cleared. When I played I could never pot more than 3 balls in a row, so I got loads of 9 breaks and never any higher. I could be a competitive player, I had a great safety game back in the day. I dont know why I could not get higher breaks, I've cleaned up in pool with 5 of my colours then the black to make potting 6 balls in a row.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭LukeQuietus

39 is mine. I dunno how I managed it because I only started playing this year. Can't get higher than 10-15 on average but that frame it all seemed to work out. Still went on to lose that frame. The other guy just chipped away at me until it went to the black being respotted. Feckin left it over a pocket then. I was disgusted with myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭SIX PACK

I got 43 last night :) which was my best in over 12 months (, I just took out 6months Membership with Ivy Rooms in Carlow so il be playing fairly often from now on :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Brabazone

When I was 13 and in first year in school, my school buddies and I would tip down town for lunch and a frame of snooker, the good old days:). Had a break of 54 after a several months of playing. Got interested in the girls after that and played less and less. Nowadays I never play snooker because the place i used to play at is gone. I did play a couple of frames a few years ago but remember finding it very frustrating, couldn't manage to pot more than a couple of balls at a time. It's a pity because I would love to be able to get back into snooker but theres no place in Ballinasloe to go:(.

On a side note, if anyone was thinking of opening a snooker hall I think Ballinasloe would be a great spot because there is nothing to do here and I mean nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

56 a good few years ago. More recently I think 43 was my best in practice while in tournament play its 37 in a DBSL match last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

My highest was 136 when I was serious into snooker, but I could never cut it with the best in my era, which would've been the likes of David Morris etc. Have a snooker table in the folks house and love the game but am a much better pool player.

Have just qualified for the World Championships in Blackpool in July after winning a qualifier held in Bundoran at the weekend. Probably gonna get my arse handed to me by the pro's but just delighted to be one of the few travelling over!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Fair play Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

Davey Morris' era and a centurion... has to be David Hogan from Nenagh, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Davey Morris' era and a centurion... has to be David Hogan from Nenagh, no?

No, I'm actually Dave Cremin from Cork, I played on the snooker tour years ago but didn't travel very much, mainly to Celbridge as I had relatives there. Johnny Connors from Letterkenny would've been another excellent player from my era.

As I said, mainly a pool player but love snooker as well, just couldn't cut it with the big boys, 3 friends of mine are cutting it though, Greg Casey, David Cassidy and Ryan Cronin. They're the ones to watch!

Edit: And cheers Dave!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Buuuummp.

My highest is a 57. Acheived 50+ four times this year so far. Quite happy thus far as my highest previously was 39 EVER. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

My highest break is 67, but that is when i was playing regularily a couple of years ago.
    I'm playing league snooker at the moment and flyer tournaments, but I just don't have time to be practising, and while i'm doing alright in my matches, there haven't been any breaks to write home about

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

I was a year behind Davey Morris in school. Nearly every week there was a new announcement about him winning yet another national competition.

I tried but I could never really match him. My best break was about 16 or 17. I certain that I could have made it to the big time if I'd stuck with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Highest break 144, break im most proud of was 88 on dominic dales pro table in 2003 in Llanelli, tightest table ive ever seen in my life. Followed by a 27 break to beat jimmy in a 1 frame exhibition in Newbridge.

Best break ive ever seen on tv - ronnie 92 this year. In the flesh a 67 clearance from Jimmy to force a re-spot against Joe Canny at that exhibition. 5 reds left needed all blacks, 2 reds tight to the baulk cushion, 1 red tight to the side cushion near the yellow pocket, blue tied up, green tied up and he somehow cleared up. To this day if you asked 100 pros to try clear up from there you'd be lucky to find 3 out of 100. was unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭chainsawman

My break was 94, missed the pink for the century, I turned into 9 ball pool, better and faster.. When you past 40, you better forget about snooker.. Ronnie O Sullivan was the oldest man(36)win the championship since Ray Readon 1976... A 70 years old man can enjoy pool.. In ireland. there are very little inetrest in 9 bvall pool, pool table here in Ireland is very poor... I'm playing alot in Thailand, Lots of professionals up there, including Jimmy White and David Gray... Very popular up there, 5 competitions a week (Three pubs league)....

• Site Banned Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭Silvio.Dante

zack01 wrote: »
    Don't play anymore but the best i had when i played was a 143 clearance in a pro-am in the UK in 1986, it was against Mike Hallett, that won me the first frame but i went on to lose the match 4-1! Recieved £25 and a crystal vase for it! I made a 100 exactly in a match in the Dublin Leagues a few years back but nowadays if i took the cue out and made 30 i'd be chuffed!!

Mind you in most clubs there are always some heavy scorers when they get in amongst the balls, but put them in a competition and add a bit of pressure and they fall apart.

Great idea for this thread though, and SIXPACK a 49 break is a decent enough break, well done.:)

A 143 in competition? We're in exalted company here lads and lasses...;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭zack01

A 143 in competition? We're in exalted company here lads and lasses...;)

26 years ago !!

zack01 wrote: »
    26 years ago !!
    :D

If I was playing non stop for the next 26 years I'd not ger close to half of your 143...

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭watermark

got a 78 against my father once.....with the brown, blue, pink and black left on the table!! :eek: was distraught! id pack it in if i made a century. playing since i was 14ish and 26 now. haven't got close in ages though!

watermark wrote: »
    got a 78 against my father once.....with the brown, blue, pink and black left on the table!! :eek: was distraught! id pack it in if i made a century. playing since i was 14ish and 26 now. haven't got close in ages though!

Oh no! I can imagine that being very painful...:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭watermark

Oh no! I can imagine that being very painful...frown.gif

didnt realise til after i missed the brown what i was on. poor position tho! was welded to the cushion just below the middle pocket, more or less straight on the brown with crap cueing too. do i roll it and chance long blue.....no chance....SMACK! :( haha

Advertisement