Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ufc 104 predictions? Spoiler warning!

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

cowzerp wrote: »
    What over reaction, it was not even close, he won by a mile.

So is anyone here on boards going to stop watch MMA entirely after this then?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,690 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

AARRRGH wrote: »
    I don't believe they genuinely saw it like that. I think it's just safer to award the fight to the reigning champion if it's close.

well, we'll just have to agree to disagree on the final three words of your post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

well, we'll just have to agree to disagree on the final three words of your post.

It was close though. At no point was either fighter in trouble.

But I agree, let's agree to disagree, it's too late for a debate. :)

GSPfan wrote: »
    Normally I go asleep after these events no problem. I'm fukkin sick. What a disgrace. That must be the most sickening feeling you will ever fell in a sporting event. You've just been robbed of the most important title in MMA and you can't do anything about it. Sick.

Shogun is that you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Captain Furball

I had machida winning 2 rounds but i'm not a judge .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Captain Furball

GSPfan wrote: »
    Normally I go asleep after these events no problem. I'm fukkin sick. What a disgrace. That must be the most sickening feeling you will ever fell in a sporting event. You've just been robbed of the most important title in MMA and you can't do anything about it. Sick.
    Go for a run now while it's fresh in your mind and come back and kick machida around your sitting room :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Shogun is that you?

LOL. Made a bad night a little better. Still sick tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭bigslick

Am still sick but gotta go to bed now. Shogun deserved the win. Meet him morning after his fight with Coleman. Nicest guy ever, am gutted for him.

Can't imagine how he felt when they said "lyoto....." my heart would drop

bigslick wrote: »
    Am still sick but gotta go to bed now. Shogun deserved the win. Meet him morning after his fight with Coleman. Nicest guy ever, am gutted for him.

Can't imagine how he felt when they said "lyoto....." my heart would drop

Did you see him in tears post in his lockeroom.

Night lads see ya in April for the rematch. :p

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

What's worse is I had a little sidebet with Stevenson, Cain, Bader, and Shogun which would have netted me my entire UFC stake x2.5, this after Okami fúked up all the other bets.

When I heard "by unanamious decision" I was there "well I'm a Machida fan but that's some profit for the evening"

GTFO you muppet judges.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,335 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I had Shogun 4 rounds to 1. The only round I gave to Machida was round 3 and even that was a marginal decision. Yeah a couple of the rounds were close but still clearly won by Shogun IMO when you broke it down. Even if you took away all the punishing leg kicks I still think Shogun wins. Bizarre decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭ollieo

I am absolutely disgusted with the judging in the Shogun fight. When I heard 28-27 I thought it was being generous to Machida, I couldn't believe Shogun didn't get the decision!!!!! :mad:

I'm getting sick of the terrible judging in the UFC its a disgrace that at this level they don't have competent judges, the athletic commission and the judges appointed have alot to answer for. :mad:

I feel so sorry for shogun and am raging after that decision. Rematch or no rematch I fear that Machida will have figured out Shoguns game plan and defeat him if they meet again.

I hope I'm wrong.

From the press conference:

Shogun is getting an immediate rematch. Both guys have agreed to it. Dana says Shogun won the fight. And also that Mazagatti shouldn't be able to watch MMA, much less ref it.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Name Changed

I am sickened by that to be honest. It casts a doubt in my mind into the honesty of the UFC.

I had Shogun winning that 5-0, with only the third round being a judgement call. Even that, Shogun largely dominated apart from an end of round flurry by Machida. The second round was tight. The first, fourth and fifth were most certainly Rua's.

Robbery.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Onearmedbandit

I too was up for Machida and I thought Rogan was being biased in his commentary throughout the fight.....until I realised that Shogun was hitting him with so many leg kicks Rogan was right. Absolutely the worst decision I have seen since I began following UFC. There is no way you could give that to Machida even with a optimistic view it would still be 3 to 2 to Shogun.

That is the worst decision I have ever seen. Almost takes the sport into disrepute. I mean how can anyone argue Machida won with a straight face, nevermind a professional judge. Astonishing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Just watched UFC 104 right now and I really have no idea how Shogun did not win this fight. There is something seriously wrong if three judges see that as a win for Machida. Crazy.
    I am sickened by that to be honest. It casts a doubt in my mind into the honesty of the UFC.

The UFC don't provide the judges. How does this result question the honesty of the UFC?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭chordtype

Call the police..he really did get robbed. Awful, Awful decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Great night of action ruined by daylight robbery :mad:

That said if shogun wanted the belt he knew what he had to do and he didn't put him away, great to see the old shogun back !!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭pierrot

How bout this. Does anybody, anybody, actually feel that Machida won that fight? Trawl across fora, ask friends, try to find another person who saw it the same as the three judges. Machida looked embarassed when he was announced.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭wandy

calex71 wrote: »
    Great night of action ruined by daylight robbery :mad:

That said if shogun wanted the belt he knew what he had to do and he didn't put him away, great to see the old shogun back !!!!!!!!!

Unbelievable ending was gutted for Shogun. I dont know how all 3 judges gave Machida the decision I would have give Machida one round maybe two max and Shogun the rest.

At least now we know Lyoto is human and bleeds like rest of us

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭martic

I think the judges got it 110% correct and it was well worth paying money and sitting up all night for:rolleyes: Cecil Peoples I'm tired and I'm out the price of a good size carry out from the off licence because of you:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭cokedrinker

Diagram of strikes landed from fightmetric - It has Rua landing almost 2x more than Machida

http://www.fightmetric.com/fights/Machida-Shogun.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

I know the spider has said the fight won't happen but would anyone seriously fancy machida in that match now ?

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭David Jones

Possibly one of the worst decisions I have ever seen. Minimum had it 4 -1 in favour of Shogun and thats being generous to Machida. The judges should never be allowed judge again, appalling stuff. As for the Rothwell stoppage, yeah I would have let it go a little longer, he is a big guy with a hard head who was getting to his feet, one or two more clear shots could definitely have been allowed.
    Glad for Stevenson and Sonnen, dominant performances.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Ramunas

Very bad day for MMA. They robber Shogun's win

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

Absolutely disgusted with the main event decision. I'd much rather get headbutted after a fight by a sore loser than have a decision robbed on me. Travesty of justice.

However, I'd hate to have to sit ringside and score that bout. I can only imagine how difficult it would be to follow those exchanges. I reckon some of them looked like Machida was coming off the best evne though he was getting lashed out of it.

The judging is the worst and scummiest thing about UFC right now. Needs to be sorted out. Get some retired fighters judging.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,690 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

AARRRGH wrote: »
    It was close though. At no point was either fighter in trouble.

it's too late for a debate. :)

yes, that is what i was thinking last night too:) but now i'm awake again i feel like debating it:p

To me it looked liked Shogun won 4 of the 5 rounds. If you are generous and say he didn’t push enough to take one or two rounds , he still takes the fight in my opinion

i say this because shogun clearly connected with more strikes, shogun also had the harder more effective striking( he constantly scored with leg kicks, which eventually took away Machida's speed) – and shogun controlled the clinch.

Shogun definitely was the more aggresive and controlled the octagon for most of the bout.

it just seems the old saying of you’ve got to beat the champion to become a champion is all well and good but on the evidence of this main event, you’ve got to knock him out in hope of getting a draw in California.

fair play to rua afterwards for being so calm in the interview. I'd be bucking if i was him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭mmaireland.com

The judging is the worst... ...Get some retired fighters judging.
    QFT :confused:

• Advertisement

I think people need to take things into consideration...... when we watch the fights we have Rogan telling us ''Great kick by Shogun'', even in exchanges where the other fighter connects too, whether we like it or not we are somewhat influenced by what he says.

There are so many different strikes and moves in MMA that every judge will have their preferences, leg kicks mean a lot to Rogan and as a judge he would score it that way. Have to remember that the judges aren't listening to anyone and they see the fight different to us, maybe flying knee's are worth a lot more then leg kicks in their eyes.

It's hard to pick up on what's going on in the exchanges, as everything happens so quick, and a lot of the time i hear Joe say ''Nice leg kick'' or whatever i myself will see something else, sometimes i've noticed i saw something he didn't, so there are a lot of things you could see or not see in those quick fire exchanges as they weren't really one sided.

Having said all of that i think Shogun won the fight, but not by much, Machida looked the more likely to finish the fight when he exploded while Shogun kept scoring through leg and body kicks.

Advertisement