Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bikes [many] months on.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭worded

If the roads are slippy in Dublin would DB lock the system?

They are lethal in this part of the country.

Are winter bike tyres an idea? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Enii

Aard wrote: »
    I think that the one-way system should apply to motor-vehicles only. As long as the streets are wide enough, there should be contra-flow bicycle-lanes throughout the city-centre.

Yes, this is managed well in Amsterdam.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Be carefull in icy conditions on those bikes. The tyres are non puncture ones that have little or no threads and no grip on even moderate icy roads.
    The paving around the bike stands at City Hall is lethal in this weather

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭AMontague

Also imagine how handy it would be to finish your shopping in Grafton Street pick up a cycle and head for O'Connell Street/Henry Street area but because of the one way systems it is quicker to walk.....I think before the scheme was rolled out there should have been infastructure changes made in the city to make cycling more appealling and safe.

As I said I like (maybe love was too strong of a word) but some small changes would make it so much better and popular

Some good suggestions here. One of the advantages of the scheme is that it highlights to a whole new cohort of cyclists how awkward it can be to get around the city by bike. We need to change a lot of our one-way systems, if we want more people to cycle. The more people looking for changes like this, the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭AMontague

Gonzales wrote: »
    let's not get carried away now :), from what I read here about bike accidents the regular bike lanes are not very safe.

There are definitely problems with some of the bike lanes in Dublin, but it has never been safer to cycle in the city. The number of accidents and injuries to cyclists has dropped by about 75% in the last 10 years. This isn't some sort of statistical blip because we have also seen a similar reduction in the number of injuries to pedestrians.

Here's some of the things that I have been working on in the council to improve safety for cyclists:
    1. Reduce HGV numbers (There has been a 95% reduction in HGVs on the quays since Port Tunnel opened)
    2. Reduce speed limits (The city centre will become a 30kph zone on 31st January 2010)
    3. Increase the numbers cycling (The numbers cycling is up 60% in the last 4 years up to 2008 - and we are expecting a big jump in 2009 thanks to Dublin Bikes)
    4. Improve junction design (ongoing work)
    5. Provide cycle training (Dublin City Council are providing cycling training for schools around the city. We hope to develop an initiative for training adults in 2010)
    6. Cycle lanes (the new cycling manual will hopefully provide us a high standard that we can start to implement)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

AMontague wrote: »
    There are definitely problems with some of the bike lanes in Dublin, but it has never been safer to cycle in the city. The number of accidents and injuries to cyclists has dropped by about 75% in the last 10 years. This isn't some sort of statistical blip because we have also seen a similar reduction in the number of injuries to pedestrians.

Here's some of the things that I have been working on in the council to improve safety for cyclists:
    1. Reduce HGV numbers (There has been a 95% reduction in HGVs on the quays since Port Tunnel opened)
    2. Reduce speed limits (The city centre will become a 30kph zone on 31st January 2010)
    3. Increase the numbers cycling (The numbers cycling is up 60% in the last 4 years up to 2008 - and we are expecting a big jump in 2009 thanks to Dublin Bikes)
    4. Improve junction design (ongoing work)
    5. Provide cycle training (Dublin City Council are providing cycling training for schools around the city. We hope to develop an initiative for training adults in 2010)
    6. Cycle lanes (the new cycling manual will hopefully provide us a high standard that we can start to implement)

great news

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭petermijackson

there's no way it's quicker to walk. What one way system is stopping you?

There are two one way systems that come to mind.....

If I were in Grafton Street and wanted to get to O'Connell Street, I would need to collect a bike from Grafton Street area (Clarendon St - I think is the best bet....please correct me if I'm wrong). I then need to cycle away from the city centre following the one way system around to Georges Street - Dame Street - West M Street and then O'Connell Street. Allowing for the fact that you are supposed to stop at lights I think it would def be quicker walking

My second example is - IFSC to Kildare Street : Pick up a bike from the IFSC @ James Joyce Bridge, do you cycle across a pedestrian bridge? If you do, your heading towards Pearse street station, get to the top of Westland Row, you have to go left, you have to keep heading south up by the back of the Dail (Upper Merrion Street) then cross at the lights and make your way around to the Green. Continue around the Green (Passing Kildare Street), right down Dawson Street till you meet Nassau Street - Right and then you should find the bike station on your right along Nassau Street. Again quicker to walk.
    I think that the one-way system should apply to motor-vehicles only. As long as the streets are wide enough, there should be contra-flow bicycle-lanes throughout the city-centre.
    The above shows why a contra-flow would work, this would need to be official i.e. marked out on the road instead of cyclists just taking it on themselves to go against traffic

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭markpb

The above shows why a contra-flow would work, this would need to be official i.e. marked out on the road instead of cyclists just taking it on themselves to go against traffic

They would need to be physically segregated to prevent a repeat of the farce that is the cycle contra-flow on St. Andrew St.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

There are two one way systems that come to mind.....

If I were in Grafton Street and wanted to get to O'Connell Street, I would need to collect a bike from Grafton Street area (Clarendon St - I think is the best bet....please correct me if I'm wrong). I then need to cycle away from the city centre following the one way system around to Georges Street - Dame Street - West M Street and then O'Connell Street. Allowing for the fact that you are supposed to stop at lights I think it would def be quicker walking

My second example is - IFSC to Kildare Street : Pick up a bike from the IFSC @ James Joyce Bridge, do you cycle across a pedestrian bridge? If you do, your heading towards Pearse street station, get to the top of Westland Row, you have to go left, you have to keep heading south up by the back of the Dail (Upper Merrion Street) then cross at the lights and make your way around to the Green. Continue around the Green (Passing Kildare Street), right down Dawson Street till you meet Nassau Street - Right and then you should find the bike station on your right along Nassau Street. Again quicker to walk.

Grafton St to O Connell St: Get a bike at exchequer street. Cycle on to Dame St and straight down to O Connell st

IFSC- Kildare Street:

Cycle to O Connell Bridge along the quays. Go straight up towards Trinity and around to Nassau Street. Cycle up Dawson Street and park the bike. There's a station on molesworth Street.

I reckon those journeys would be quicker than walking

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭petermijackson

Cycle up Dawson Street

You cannot cycle up Dawson Street.... :D

But you can cycle up Kildare street so ok I'm wrong :rolleyes:

Even so I still like the idea of the Contra Flow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,851 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Even so I still like the idea of the Contra Flow

It's being introduced in London I believe. One location I would suggest is Lombard St East, it would make it a lot easier to get back to the IFSC from the southside - remove the car parking from the west side of the road and there would be plenty of space.

One-way systems, traffic-lights etc are all in place to facilitate the flow of cars and trucks, they do nothing for cyclists and pedestrians.

I quite like the idea of shared space but probably not practical in a busy city-centre. Nonetheless as much as possible should be done to allow cyclists and peds to make decent progress through the city-centre, even if it means a corresponding reduction in speeds for motor-traffic. Contra-flow would be a good start.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Other good candidates for contra-flow cycle lanes (I admit my own commuting requirements have shaped these) are Baggot St Lower / Merrion St/ Stephens Green and Leinster St / Nassau St

• Registered Users Posts: 9,778 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

I do not speak for the council, thank god, but:

Some of these involve taking out parking and loading. The problem with taking out parking is that it is important (both in perception, and probably in reality) for local businesses to have parking nearby. It is not rarely practical to take out parking in a residential area (like Lombard St East).

Merrion Row is the one where there is no parking issue, however, there isn't a clear path for cyclists to go once they get to the Green, unless you want to drop them into the right hand lane of a road where traffic moves quite quickly. This could certainly be remedied, but it is a fair amount of work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Perhaps Dublin Bikes should lock the system now before someone breaks their neck.

If Dublin Bus is suspending its urban services this evening roads must be bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dermot_sheehan

Actually no problem cycling today provided you're careful.

I cycled out from town (on my own bike) and other then a bit of rear wheel spin on hills and a small bit of fishtailing when braking it worked well enough. Got home quicker then driving or (non-existent) bus anyways.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Perhaps Dublin Bikes should lock the system now before someone breaks their neck.

If Dublin Bus is suspending its urban services this evening roads must be bad.

should we lock down roads to cars now too? And bar people from using footpaths?

monument wrote: »
    In areas where they are not treated they should certainly do.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,342 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

In areas where they are not treated they should certainly do.

RTDH - kinda ironic that you post this when about 50% of your posts seem to be complaining about NWO and Nanny State interference potentially encroaching on personal freedoms.
    Yet now you want them tell us what footpaths we can walk on. :confused:

RTDH - kinda ironic that you post this when about 50% of your posts seem to be complaining about NWO and Nanny State interference potentially encroaching on personal freedoms.
    Yet now you want them tell us what footpaths we can walk on. :confused:

Just having a dig at the Council. :p

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

they should just ban the cars, bikes and pedestrians are ok on lightly packed snow , it's only on really packed snow that has been wheelspun into melting that it's really slippy in the main

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Have a look at this woeful parking I found last night: car parked right inside the DB station!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

how come the terms and conditions force a user to obey the rules of the road, yet when the bikes were introduced they had illegal flashing lights?
    Is this part of the thorough planning that Dublin City council did when introducing the scheme? or just a minor oversight?

Also the brakes on the bikes are a) very poor and b) on the wrong side.
    What muppet agreed to allow the rear brake on the right handlebar?

Have a look at this woeful parking I found last night: car parked right inside the DB station!!
    IIRC this is an actual parking spot , have often seen cars parked there,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

The station is on Ormond Quay. There was no way for me to enter the station without lifting the bike over the concrete island separating the station from the road, or without entering via the exit at the far end of the station (where another car was blocking last night).

If it is an actual parking space, why ... ??!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,485 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

:eek: that actually very very dangerous and stupid. How they let it slip through is beyond me.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

how come the terms and conditions force a user to obey the rules of the road, yet when the bikes were introduced they had illegal flashing lights?

Did they have flashing lights? I don't remember that.

Just because cars are parking there does not mean it's an actual parking spot. I see cars often parked on footpaths, bus and cycle lanes in operation times, (non-timed) contra flow cycle lanes etc -- it does not mean that these are actual parking spaces.

From the design around it, it looks as if it's part of the cycle retail station, but maybe it's not?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭howiya

Just because cars are parking there does not mean it's an actual parking spot. I see cars often parked on footpaths, bus and cycle lanes in operation times, (non-timed) contra flow cycle lanes etc -- it does not mean that these are actual parking spaces.

From the design around it, it looks as if it's part of the cycle retail station, but maybe it's not?

Had a look passing it this morning and the signage looks like its a space for motorbikes to park

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

:eek: that actually very very dangerous and stupid. How they let it slip through is beyond me.

I don't understand this - what's wrong with back brakes on the RHS?

I agree the brakes are crappy and underpowered, but there's nothing dangerous about what side their on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

-Chris- wrote: »
    I don't understand this - what's wrong with back brakes on the RHS?

I agree the brakes are crappy and underpowered, but there's nothing dangerous about what side their on.

Every bike I've owned, the right hand side brake is for the front wheel.

Hard braking on the rear wheel will cause it to lock up and skidding. If this is unexpected a fall or worse could occur.

Imagine driving a car where the right pedal was the brake and the left/middle pedal was the accelerator?

They still have flashing lights on the front, but the law was hurriedly changed by our glorious minister for transport just after he agreed not to cut the pay of the high earning civil servants and before he left the country to get away from the snow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Every bike I've owned, the right hand side brake is for the front wheel.

And every bike I've owned the right hand side brake is for the rear wheel. Which one of us is right? They were bound to be criticised no matter what they did.
    Hard braking on the rear wheel will cause it to lock up and skidding. If this is unexpected a fall or worse could occur.

I'd be more worried about braking hard and putting myself over the bars than skidding tbh, but "luckily" the brakes on these bikes aren't strong enough to do that :P:D

Advertisement