Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bikes [many] months on.

Options
1101112131416»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

loyatemu wrote: »
    brilliant news if it comes to pass - I'd wonder where the funding is to come from though.

Presumably more advertising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

brilliant news if it comes to pass - I'd wonder where the funding is to come from though.

All the funding that was originally designated to go on Metro North and the Interconnector. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Casey_81 wrote: »
    Whats the usage like in this wintry weather? Personally I haven't used a bike in a couple of weeks due to wind/rain etc..

I've been using more of them over the past couple of weeks because of the wind/rain.

If I cycle to work on my own bike and the evening is rainy, I'd have to leave my bike in the city centre and would then walk home or get the bus (no wet ass :D). So whenever there's a hint of rain (most days now!), I take the Dublin Bike into town and then I don't have to worry about leaving my own in town overnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭The Swordsman

z_topaz wrote: »
    Maybe it's just my area then. But the latest thing I've seen is people putting the saddles on backwards when there's something wrong with the bikes. I didn't know what that was about at first until I turned around the seat on one and went to set off and nearly brained myself 'cause the mudguard was caught in the spokes.

It's a pity there is no way you could report a dodgy bike at the terminal when you return it. It could be set up as well to automatically take the bike out of service.

Dublin City Council is to expand the bike scheme across the capital with up to 5,000 bikes being added over the next five years.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/1111/dublin_bikes.html

Cllr. Montague was on drivetime yesterday and he said that the contract for the new bikes would go out to tender.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,485 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Cllr. Montague was on drivetime yesterday and he said that the contract for the new bikes would go out to tender.

wait, what. Shouldn't JCD still be funding these in return for its ridiculously good original contract?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Casey_81

I wonder will they change the design of the bikes? How did it work when the other city bike schemes were expanded?

Casey_81 wrote: »
    I wonder will they change the design of the bikes? How did it work when the other city bike schemes were expanded?

The only thing I'd like is more gears. Other than that, they're great for what they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Maldini2706

This article suggests that a large part of the money will come from private businesses keen to have a stand near their premises to attract people. Makes a lot of sense!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

This article suggests that a large part of the money will come from private businesses keen to have a stand near their premises to attract people. Makes a lot of sense!

That would be a great idea tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭brian__foley

BostonB wrote: »
    Bike stands are still empty at popular times from what I see.

Talking about the short journeys on a Dublin Bike. TBH you don't really get any wetter than walking, and its not that windy in town. So its not really that big an issue.

If you're commuting 30~60 mins on a bike on open roads, were theres no cover from wind, thats a bit different.

Some stands are empty at popular times with the popular destinations full. E.g. Smithfield, Creek Street etc tend to be empty when Dame Street, City Hall are full, and so on. My own feeling has been its a great service when it works but its not something I could rely on if I need to get a meeting etc - i.e. if I need to try 3/4 stations to get a place to leave the bike. I've had my own problems also, with the system failing to record a bike being put back. Other than that, it's great...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

i.e. if I need to try 3/4 stations to get a place to leave the bike.

You probably know this already, but if the station is full, the system will tell you how many stands are available at other stations when you log on. That at least saves you cycling around town in the hopes of finding a space.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭brian__foley

NuMarvel wrote: »
    You probably know this already, but if the station is full, the system will tell you how many stands are available at other stations when you log on. That at least saves you cycling around town in the hopes of finding a space.

Granted; my language was a bit loose there. That's fine when there are actually stands available at other near stations. My difficulty is more when the nearest 3/4 stations are actually full. Tend to find this with, say, coming up to the station outside Fallon & Byrne (full), then so is Central Bank station as well Clarendon etc.

Or returning to Smithfield / Creek Street with both full.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭not even wrong

Granted; my language was a bit loose there. That's fine when there are actually stands available at other near stations. My difficulty is more when the nearest 3/4 stations are actually full. Tend to find this with, say, coming up to the station outside Fallon & Byrne (full), then so is Central Bank station as well Clarendon etc.

Or returning to Smithfield / Creek Street with both full.
    Or when it's St. Patrick's weekend or Dublin marathon weekend and they close half the stations without notice for 72 hours and you've to cycle out to the Mater to dump your bike!

Or when it's St. Patrick's weekend or Dublin marathon weekend and they close half the stations without notice for 72 hours and you've to cycle out to the Mater to dump your bike!

On the marathon I got a bike, cycled to where I was going, it told me there were empty stations at Stephen's green, Merrion sq. etc. These were all closed when I got there. I ended up cycling all around town and eventually left it at the closest stop to where I picked it up! It was somewhat annoying...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

paulm17781 wrote: »
    On the marathon I got a bike, cycled to where I was going, it told me there were empty stations at Stephen's green, Merrion sq. etc. These were all closed when I got there. I ended up cycling all around town and eventually left it at the closest stop to where I picked it up! It was somewhat annoying...
    At least you got some exercise out of it. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

I have no connection to this web site but I find it quite useful:

http://www.dublinbikes2go.com

Best of all it will work on most basic phones - you don't need a smart phone.

If I'm heading out on a DB, I'll check the above site - if the number of free spaces are low at least you can factor that it in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

I was somewhat sceptical about how successful these Dublin bikes would be but am delighted to have been proven wrong. People have really taken to them and as much for leisure as for cycling around town for work meetings etc which is great. And well done to the city council for looking to expand the scheme!

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Maldini2706

BrianD wrote: »
    I have no connection to this web site but I find it quite useful:

http://www.dublinbikes2go.com

Best of all it will work on most basic phones - you don't need a smart phone.

If I'm heading out on a DB, I'll check the above site - if the number of free spaces are low at least you can factor that it in.

Yeah I use that all the time, it's the best way to check out the stations. The official iPhone app is an embarrassment, half of it is in French and the half that isn't doesn't work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 olivernash

I hope it is not inappropriate to plug my own blog here.

I recently carried out some analysis of the Dublin bikes scheme using over a year of data on Dublin bike usage. Perhaps some readers might be interested in the results.

http://ocfnash.wordpress.com/2011/02/02/dublin-bikes-revisited/

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭smackyB

Very interesting. Thanks for posting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Excellent info, thanks for sharing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Nice blog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭eia340600

http://dublinobserver.com/2011/03/wheels-set-in-motion-for-dublin-bikes-expansion/
    Wheels set in motion for Dublin Bikes expansion
    Posted by Cian GintyDublin City, Dublin Observed, Featured Updates, FeaturesFriday, March 25th, 2011

Dublin Bikes has gone from predictions of mass theft and vandalism, to one of the most successful on-street bicycle rental schemes in the world, so the big question is: “When will it expand?”
    On the back of the scheme smashing all expectations in its first year, Dublin City Council has drawn up a plan to expand across the city, increasing the amount of bicycles from 500 to 5,000.
    “When I first proposed it back in 2004, a lot of people said it’d never work, that all the bikes would be stolen or end up in the River Liffey,” said Labour councillor Andrew Montague, who is the chair of the Dublin City Council transport committee. “Thankfully it has turned out to be one of the most successful bike rental schemes in the world.”

The first millionth journey was achieved last summer and the bikes have now being used for over 1.7 million journeys. There are nearly 50,000 subscribers and around 30,000 of those are yearly subscriptions. It is now an accepted feature of the city’s landscape, used by business men in suits and estate agents commonly listing the nearest station as a feature on property rental adverts.
    The main problem with Dublin Bikes is how its success has led to capacity issues at stations.
    The first phase was funded by advertising billboards in a controversial deal with ad company JCDecaux, but advertising is now taking a back seat with the new expansion.
    “Predominately this is going to be funded by a few different sources – firstly the National Transport Authority is going to put some funding to it, and we’ve also got commitments from various businesses who want a station near their business and they’re prepared to pay for it,” says Cllr Montague.
    He adds: “There may be some advertising, but if there is it will be a very minor part of it. Advertising was 100 per cent of the funding before, now it’ll be a very minor part of the funding.”
    The Fine Gael-Labour programme for government, taken at face value, can be seen as more ambitious than Dublin City Council’s plans for expansion, which are confined to its area of the city. The programme says: “We will continue to invest in the National Cycle Policy and we will look to extend the Dublin Bikes Scheme across the wider Dublin area and to other cities and integrate the scheme much more effectively with public transport links.”
    Will Andrews, chairman of the Dublin Cycle Campaign says: “It should be pushed as soon as possible. It should be given whatever funding is required – which is not hugely significant compared to what has been spent on motorways. It should be given everybody’s support.”
    Does the campaign support more advertisements? “As long as the bikes get on the ground and the bikes work, we wouldn’t really want to interfere with how it’s funded. Personally as a citizen of Dublin, you’d hate to see too many of those billboards going up,” says Andrews.
    With the funding from businesses model, it is not yet clear if these businesses are willing to spend on set up costs, or if they are willing to provide key on-going funding which keeps the system maintained. “We’d have to get into negotiations with them,” Cllr Montague said. “But they have indicated they are willing to provide money.”

A Dublin Bikes station
    The Dublin Cycle Campaign believes bike rental schemes should be rolled out in every city in Ireland and even larger towns.
    And what about users contributing more to the costs? “There may be slight variations in cost, but we’d like to see the existing structure retained – you get a great take-up because the first half hour is free and it encourages people to leave bikes back quicker,” Andrews says.
    Cllr Montague says Melbourne’s bike system – which has 600 bicycles, about 100 more than Dublin – is used for about 100 to 150 trips a day in summer time, while Dubliners did “2,000 trips per day in the snow.” The council’s report on the expansion (see the link at the bottom of this page) says there’s an average of 5,000 trips on weekdays in the summer and 4,000 in the winter.
    JCDecaux said today that the daily record was broken yesterday, Thursday March 24. “Yesterday saw a new rental record of 5,874 journeys being taken in one day, perhaps a reflection of the sunshine we’ve been having in Dublin this week,” said JCDecaux on its website today.
    The city council’s report highlights journey time reliability, health, tourism, and fewer emissions as some of the main benefits of the plan. Needing to lower emissions may sound strange in a recession, but traffic emissions in parts of Dublin were recently recorded as exceeding EU limits.
    The docking stations will be expanded first to the Docklands and the Heuston areas, covering Islandbridge, and as far as Kilmainham. Following this, it is planned to be rolled out to a total of 14 zones – which will cover:
    [3] Dolphin’s Barn and the Liberties;
    [4A] Fairview, East Wall, and Croke Park;
    [4B] Phibsborogh, Cabra, and Stoneybatter;
    [5] Ballsbridge, Ranelagh, Rathmines;
    [6] Drumcondra, Marino, and parts of Glasnevin;
    [7] Harold’s Cross;
    [8] Ringsend, Irishtown, and Sandymount;
    [9] Parts of Drimnagh and Inchicore, and further areas of Kilmainham;
    [10] Donnybrook
    [11] Further into Rathmines and Ranelagh, out as far as Rathgar and Clonskeagh;
    [12] Areas around Crumlin and Terenure;
    [13] Glasnevin east and central
    [14] DCU and Whitehall.
    If the five year plan goes ahead as scheduled, the ambitious strategy also mentions further expansion into the rest of the city council’s areas, such as Finglas, Ballymun, and Ballyfermot.
    Why was the order chosen? Cllr Montague explains: “Each expansion has to connect to another, so you can’t start in the city centre and then put a station in DCU, you have to work from the city centre out.”
    He says: “The most important expansion is the east-west expansion in the city centre, that’s why that’s the first – down towards Grand Canal Dock and towards Heuston Station. That’s the really high demand area, and we focus on high employment and high density residential areas as well.”
    On a timeframe, Cllr Montague says the first phase has to go out for tender. “Until we get the tenders back we can’t say for sure, but I’d be hopeful within a year or so we’ll get it up and running, but I think once we get the first stage up and running it’ll be quicker after that.” But he adds: “There are no definitive dates yet.”

The sooner the better.Her's a larger image of the expansion areaexpmap-large.jpg

Advertisement