Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bikes [many] months on.

Options
  • 21-10-2009 2:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

I was quite critical of the project at first more so over the deal that was done. However they seem to be getting quite popular around the capital since it started.

I signed up yesterday, more so in that I can get away with murder in traffic compared to using other forms of transport, its also very handy if I find a bike docking station close to a loading bay where I can park my van for free and do my business. :D

Is it too early for figures? Stuff damaged, bikes awal etc? I saw one guy bump straight onto a curb, someone else left a bike chained to a docking station on Pearse ST after he / she found it full.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭ronano

It seems to be going good i've heard no negative comments about the scheme itself outside of how it was done which is suss. I've never cycled in the city prior to the scheme and i'm slowly getting less terrified :D

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Floodzie

I've been signed up for a few weeks now. Really good system - but don't rely on them to get to work! I've only been able to find a bike where I leave (The Barge pub) AND a free bike rack at my destination (Merrion Square) about 60% of the time. Been late to work a few times, but the experience will probably make me go out and buy a bike.

It's really opened my eyes to how bad the roads are for cyclists. Loads of car parking spaces in the city that should be bike lanes (or the cars should at least park parallel to the buildings instead of facing them to free up a bit of room). I think the car park spaces probably bring in a few quid for DCC, though...

The bikes are great for jaunting aound town outside of peak hours, hopefully they extend them closer to where I live (Ranelagh) and beyond to the rest of the city.

And a lot more stands and bikes would be great too!

Oh yeah, the basket - while it looks a bit, erm... feminine (I know, I'm a sad case for thinking that) - is really handy. When I buy a bike I am actually thinking of getting one with a basket. And a chain guard - the Dublin Bikes have one and it's great that you don't need bicycle clips.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,485 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Floodzie wrote: »
    Oh yeah, the basket - while it looks a bit, erm... feminine (I know, I'm a sad case for thinking that) - is really handy. When I buy a bike I am actually thinking of getting one with a basket. And a chain guard - the Dublin Bikes have one and it's great that you don't need bicycle clips.

Get panniers not a basket if buying a bike, less girly and more space too:D

(they're bags that "hang off" either side of your rear wheel)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

I've signed up for it, great system. I'm a bit apprehensive about locking my expensive carbon bike in Dublin city centre so this fits the bill for me. My only gripe, as I'm also a scooterist, is that the only designated motorbike/scooter parking spaces that I know of (princes street), has been taken up by the bike scheme leaving me with no official place to park.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I've used them a couple of times now to scoot across the city and I have to say they're brilliant. It means that if I need to get somewhere during lunch or after work in very little time, I can easily do it. I can go do some shopping on Grafton st and still get back to my desk and eat my lunch in an hour.
    Also had to get to Baggott street to meet someone and it took me just over five minutes, versus 25 or 30 to walk it/drive it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Floodzie

Get panniers not a basket if buying a bike, less girly and more space too:D

(they're bags that "hang off" either side of your rear wheel)

But can you keep an eye on your stuff as easily as a basket? Still, I'll keep it in mind! Cheers.

Floodzie wrote: »
    But can you keep an eye on your stuff as easily as a basket? Still, I'll keep it in mind! Cheers.
    Panniers have clips and lids and the like so you don't need to "keep an eye" as it were.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭shaymousse

Loving it! Still waiting on my card though have the 60 day ticket at the moment as they ran out of yearly cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭atgate

I love the system. I hate driving into town but I also hate sitting on a bus when it hits city traffic so I've taken to hopping off the bus at the canal and cycling the rest of the way in. I get to where I'm going faster and I get a little exercise while I'm at it.

I've also got together with a few friends, picked up bikes and hopped around town visiting a few galleries and museums along the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭AMontague

Is it too early for figures? Stuff damaged, bikes awal etc? I saw one guy bump straight onto a curb, someone else left a bike chained to a docking station on Pearse ST after he / she found it full.

This scheme, or a similar scheme has been tried in about 15 cities before Dublin. Going by the experience of other cities, we expected about 2,000 people to sign up in the first year. In the first four weeks we signed up 11,000 annual members! The peak usage has been 8,000 trips in one day - that's over 17 trips per bike.

We are looking at ways of expanding the system. Funding is going to be a problem but we are looking at several different options - any suggestions would be welcome!

What's given me the biggest thrill is the number of people in their 60s or 70s who have signed up to the scheme. Many haven't cycled in Dublin since they were in school.

• Advertisement

vektarman wrote: »
    I've signed up for it, great system. I'm a bit apprehensive about locking my expensive carbon bike in Dublin city centre so this fits the bill for me. My only gripe, as I'm also a scooterist, is that the only designated motorbike/scooter parking spaces that I know of (princes street), has been taken up by the bike scheme leaving me with no official place to park.

The City Council have just opened up a new Bike Park on Drury Street that may suit you for your expensive Carbon Bike. The City Council owns the car park and they removed 16 car parking spaces on the ground floor and converted them into 200 bike parking spaces. It will even suit your scooter.

Parking is free, and although the safety of your bike isn't guaranteed, there is CCTV protecting the bikes and the bikes are about 20 feet from the security kiosk.

You could leave your expensive bike in the bike park, and finish your journey on the Dublin Bikes.

Andrew Montague
    Chair of Dublin City Council's Transport Committee and Cycling Forum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

AMontague wrote: »
    We are looking at ways of expanding the system. Funding is going to be a problem but we are looking at several different options - any suggestions would be welcome!
    Im surprised that the bikes themslves aren't sponsored by advertisements.

That's thinking with your noggin - not a bad idea at all. Charge €200/year per bike, to advertise on one side of the back wheel.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Good idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 WarrenB

After being very skeptical at the start, I have to say this scheme is probably the best thing to be introduced in Dublin for a long time. Its a great idea and i cant wait to try it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

why didnt i think of that :rolleyes: it would actually be a pretty good idea similar to the eco cabs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

Being using this for that last month and it has completely changed the way I get about in Dublin. The city has just got smaller. I can now finish work on Harocurt St at 6 and get up to a course on Parnell Square by 6.15. Its at least 30mins walk and about as long on the bus. I use them to get to work every morning. What I really love is that as soon as I drop the bike off at a station it is no longer my responsibility. I don't need to worry about it getting stolen or damaged.

Cycling is really taking off in Dublin at the moment between this and the Cycle to Work Scheme. For once I have to say - Well done Dublin City Council.

I have to say I'm surprised that this has been so successful. Really shows how desperate people are for decent transport in Dublin.

Surely the government / city council has seen how successful this has been and would put more money towards it as in the long run they will save on congestion losses and so forth.

I'll probably never use it as rarely in town but its good to see such a take up. It'd be great to see Dublin take up cycling as much as one of the european cities.

Another plus I imagine is that once people start to use the bikes they will be more tempted to buy their own for traveling to work etc. They may even realise that it actually doesn't rain to often here:) I remember hearing that Amsterdam gets more rain than Dublin and it doesn't stop them in the slightest

• Registered Users Posts: 14,851 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

AMontague - this man is right, why aren't there ads on the bikes themselves? They're already being managed by an advertising company, cover the bikes in ads and this might pay for a few more stations. Seems to work for the Eco-cab guys and they have to pay for drivers as well.

loyatemu wrote: »
    AMontague - this man is right, why aren't there ads on the bikes themselves? They're already being managed by an advertising company, cover the bikes in ads and this might pay for a few more stations. Seems to work for the Eco-cab guys and they have to pay for drivers as well.

Can we not have some aspect of public service that not plastered in advertising!

Its cheap and tacky and yes while it'll bring money in I don't see the need to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,851 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Can we not have some aspect of public service that not plastered in advertising! Its cheap and tacky and yes while it'll bring money in I don't see the need to do it.

if it funds the extension of the scheme to more locations then it is absolutely worth it.

loyatemu wrote: »
    if it funds the extension of the scheme to more locations then it is absolutely worth it.

The stupid amount of billboard space in return for the bikes should be paying for the continued expansion for the foreseeable future. We got ripped off big time in the original transaction, I see no reason why JCD can't continue to pay for the expansion themselves

seamus wrote: »
    That's thinking with your noggin - not a bad idea at all. Charge €200/year per bike, to advertise on one side of the back wheel.

E200 a year is nothing, that would be the rate for a small add in an evening paper, more like e100 a week for full coverage. they could use front basket and rear mudguard for displaying. Promo bikes charge over e300 per day for their larger add bikes and these don't move around the city as much. A few months advertising would cover the price of a bike.

That's a good suggestion and we may go that route, however, the advertising market is very poor at the moment and there's not much money to be made. In fact I heard that many buses in Dublin aren't carrying ads at the moment because there is very little take-up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

That's a good suggestion and we may go that route, however, the advertising market is very poor at the moment and there's not much money to be made. In fact I heard that many buses in Dublin aren't carrying ads at the moment because there is very little take-up.

I wouldn't ride a bike emblazoned with advertising. It;s not the same as a bus would ad panels on it. A bike is a personal mode of transport.

The deal is the panels for the bikes and stations. It would be a bit rich to ask DCC to put adverts on what they are being "paid" with.

JCD should be expanding the DB coverage to cover the footprint of where the ad panels are. There are ad panels on Cardiff Lane but no bike stations in that area. Similarily there are metropoles out on the Navan Road which is far removed from the nearest bike station.

Mc Donald's would be ideal candidates for on bike advertising, They could then sponsor drop off terminals close to their restaurants. You would burn off calories after you had your big Mac meal. :D
    BrianD wrote: »
    I wouldn't ride a bike emblazoned with advertising. It;s not the same as a bus would ad panels on it. A bike is a personal mode of transport. .
    I don't think people would give a damn what is written on the bike if the service is free. A JC DEcaux bike already sticks out like dogs ba*ls as it is even without any adds. People would use their own bikes if they are too concious. A bike covered in adds would also help with security as they would be more easily spotted if found outside the threshold of the rental range.

The deal is the panels for the bikes and stations. It would be a bit rich to ask DCC to put adverts on what they are being "paid" with.
    I don't think people would be too worried about what the bikes look like if this could fund expansion and introduce the project in other towns and cities across the country. I would prefer to see more adds on bikes and the terminals and less roadside billboards.
    JCD should be expanding the DB coverage to cover the footprint of where the ad panels are. There are ad panels on Cardiff Lane but no bike stations in that area. Similarly there are metropolis out on the Navan Road which is far removed from the nearest bike station.
    They would have to provide Electric scooters to go out that far, I certainly wouldn't cycle out to the Navan Road on on any push bike. :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

waiting for my card to arrive

Must say that they are very low visibility in evening traffic, the slate blue colour isn't all that different from cloudy sky in low light levels, the lights aren't all that bright and they could do with a lot more reflective material on them.

Actually since the stops are well lit a luminescent coating might be an idea.

Other cities have bright cheery colours ,
    once the hour goes back maybe half our journeys will be in darkness ?

Thanking two RTDH posts in as many days? What's gone wrong with the world? :D
    I certainly wouldn't cycle out to the Navan Road on on any push bike.
    Even at a leisurely pace that's a 20 minute cycle. Bit of a slog on a DB though, they're heavy.

seamus wrote: »
    Even at a leisurely pace that's a 20 minute cycle. Bit of a slog on a DB though, they're heavy.
    Too far for me and it includes hills. :p

The only problem with having drop off depots on commuter belts is that in the evenings they would be full of bikes leaving the city center empty.

I think that this problem was also adressed about leaving depots too close to railway stations.

• Advertisement

the slate blue colour isn't all that different from cloudy sky in low light levels,

Given that not too many people will be seeing them from below on a regular basis I don't think this is to big a deal.

It's a neutral colour that more people are likely to use. Would you ride around town on a pink/ luminous yellow bike?

Advertisement