Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

liam ward, should he be banned? Chaos threads merged.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 ggv

He has posted it on the fight factory from his own page

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

I think there is money in a rematch personally :p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

well the short term gain would be followed by no clubs supplying fighters ever again, not v smart business. And he does alright selling the show without this sort of thing anyway.
    rovert wrote: »
    I think there is money in a rematch personally :p
    on a side note jason has confirmed to me that he is not allowed in his club anymore.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

It's good to see Jason taking a strong stance on this, which tbh is what we all expected and would do if we were in his shoes

Folks if you are concerned about the image this gives to Irish MMA maybe my views may help. I am a new fan to MMA, UFC in particular having just starting watching at UFC 100 and cant get enough since then.

Love the action and the differening styles on display. I come from a karate background and this stoke my interest to give it a go.

I was genuinely interested in attending local events to see what its like.
    Having read this thread I thinkg I will leave it for a while.
    I'm sure there are many decent guys out there but if I want to see known criminals be given a platform to act the scumbag, I wont be paying them to do so.

This may be an ignorant viewpoint as I am just a new fan to the sport, but the problem is, I'm sure many will share this viewpoint.

not a good impression for MMA in Ireland and this will do more damage that you can imagine to the local scene if this guys is not permantly banned.

Might be an idea not to allow convicted criminals to fight in MMA events anyway.
    People can watch gurriers fight on the town square for free on a saturday night, I want to see sport.
    Don't let one incident put you off. Local shows are amazing to go see, since I've started competing and going to shows this is the first incident like this to happen.

Would you stop supporting a soccer team just for the actions of one player? Joey barton for instance) So why would you not support mma just because of one person

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

tubz wrote: »
    he stood friel an doherty up, whilst friel was controlin da fyt

Learn to write properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

PM75 wrote: »
    Aparantly Liam has today been banned for life. I don't know how or by whom? However, i do know this whole issue has been discussed far too severely, unfairly and indeed misrepresentated.

I'm sure the news will bring smiles to many but not sure if i will attend the next Chaos, should there be one.

Controversy almost always follows these events and i am not sure i would wish to have a post-match commentary by 'experts', many of who do not even attend.

Impartial MMA fan...........................

While I'm sure there's many people like you willing to pay to see two guys with a vendetta kick the **** outta each other, it's not the kinda audience the MMA community wish to attract.

It doesn't matter whether or not the 'experts' were in attendance or not. A lot of the people posting on this thread either train, compete or promote MMA, so they have a vested interest in the sport and events like this, which could threaten it's existence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭YamaMotoYama

MMA if it is to be recognised as a sport needs to lose this element.

The UFC recently dropped Junie Browning for acting like the scumbag he is...
    http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/11102009/58/ufc-fire-browning-arrest.html

Its the shame that the Irish promotions are less fussy about who they let fight. Most MA's have a (wannabe) tough guy element - the main thing is to ban these guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 claremurph

I have been to all the Chaos shows as my boyfriend is a mixed martial arts nerd. I am really getting into it myself and enjoyed all the shows until Saurday past - Chaos 5.

There was problems at the start when the MC called fighters and they did not show. Chisel must be a guy, I think the MC is HOT and has loads of natural charisma, unlike the steriod-raged thugs who stormed the ring. That white-trash Ward should be banned. I could not believe that these people got to stay for the main event, they also should be barred from future shows.

The MC tryed to calm things down and intelligently annonced that childern were present. I saw kids crying - a disgrace, and I feel genuinely sorry for the MMA athletes who tryed to give thier craft a good name. Mrs Lynch is bang on!

Clare Murphy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭John Ferguson

Jason Mc Cabe has confirmed that Liam Ward is now banned from his club...

We want to wish Jason and John all the best for their future shows, They have dealt with this issue in the proper manner and must be commended for this. We urge them to continue with the Chaos shows as the event is too good to be taken off the map because of one problem.

John & Mark
    www.fight.ie
    Cage Contender, 14th Nov 2009, Clarion Hotel, Carrickfergus

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Campbell M

fightie wrote: »
    Jason Mc Cabe has confirmed that Liam Ward is now banned from his club...

We want to wish Jason and John all the best for their future shows, They have dealt with this issue in the proper manner and must be commended for this. We urge them to continue with the Chaos shows as the event is too good to be taken off the map because of one problem.

John & Mark
    www.fight.ie
    Cage Contender, 14th Nov 2009, Clarion Hotel, Carrickfergus

Totally agree. Jason has done nothing but the right thing throughout this entire fiasco and my club will continue to support him as we have in the past.

Let's not forget that he was the first MMA show in the north west and has done a great deal for the sport in the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 terrytheterrier

on saturday night i took my 2 young sons to the local mma show at our town. To say embarresed was an understatement by the actions of this liam ward boy and his side kick don the hair dresser. my 2 children could not believe what they were seeing as this ward toe rag squared up to his opponent. his actions and hand gestures appauled not only my self but also most of the audience. to ban this man and his hair dressing coner man from all future mma shows would not be enough how this man ward is actually allowed to fight is beyond me this toe rag has done time for murder he has been a bully his hole life only when DRUNK i may add. i also have to voice an oppinion how these coaches at evolve can let scum like this into there club and also boys like don the hair dresser doing guys coners from what i hear this guys as bad as cutting hair as he is mma . i can honestly say that i will never take me or my sons to anything like it again i think the guys at evolve should give all profit to a charity if any one else thinks this is a good idea i will be outside don the hair dressers this week with a get don out plackcard ill not be hard to find.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 terrytheterrier

tubz wrote: »
    does any1 else agree dat dis tube should b bannd 4m our sport? domz beats him and then ward head buts domz, wat a ****in dick, my mob is 07845374775. incase sum1 wants a discusian

i totaly agree this man ward need some serious conselling he has a lot of anger inside if he thinks hes a hard man i will have a little chuckle to myself and as for don the hairdresser whats his crack i hear his ground works as dodgey as his hair cutting skills. these guys need to take a long look at them selves our sport is better off with out them the toe rags

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭martic

As i said in my post the quicker we forget about this fighters name the better but as an mma fan the last time i seen liam fighting i was very impressed, he took on a very hard stand up fighter and won well, a life long ban ive to ask myself is it abit strong?,he's a tit, if i met the fellow id tell him as such, but every one messes up, he has, and by counting the responds to this thread his name is well highlighted, ban him for 1 year from your shows and if he has not messed up in any way either sporting or personal give him a chance. Liam ive not overlooked your previos convictions everything about you says stay clear but if you love this sport as i do mate you are gona have to wise up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 cobra1983

firstly i'd like to point out that chaos 5 was only the second event of this kind that i attended and i was well impressed by the whole day. the 2 minutes that were unplanned and unforeseen have in my opinion been blown out of proportion. to be quite honest i myself was shocked at what happened but it wasnt unexpected because of the hype surrounding this one fight. ive seen worse happen at weddings, nightclubs etc and it is unacceptable but i dont think anyone can say they werent expecting it. i think we should all take a look at what has been said and weigh it up against the nature of the event. it was an mma event and these things sometimes happen. i sat and watched and was entertained by every fight and although this mellee kicked off and people are laying the blame on liam ward for throwing a headbutt, which lets face it he was provoked into doing. i dont know liam personally but i do know that he prides himself on his fighting ability. to a fighter, losing is the worst thing in the world and straight after a defeat to be taunted as liam was is every bit as unacceptable as the head butt. after liam was beat he made his way to his corner and should have been left alone to take it in his own way. but doms felt he should jump on the ropes and he knew liam would see him doing it and he well knows liam's temper. i havnt heard anyone talk about doms being reprimanded for his behaviour. to conclude, i feel evolve have been slightly harsh in banning this talented stand up fighter who going by saturdays turn out is a well loved show man. i also think evolve martial arts have been somehow pressured to get rid of liam because a small section of mma fans and clubs have it in for liam. i think a few months ban and a warning or some disciplinary work with the highly charged fighter would go some way to improving the young lad. i wish there was some way to resolve this as i'd pay twice the money to see him fight again. saturday was as everyone hoped for, an adrenaline fuelled day with a buzzing atmosphere and quality fight card. it had everything.

if there were rules like these as there should be this whole thread may not have happened at all

i'll let you decide

Fighters must sign a code of conduct in their contract if there isn’t already one in their Contract. The penalty for breaking this clause is the loss of their purse for the bout and a temporary ban of somekind. Some may say this is harsh but a message must be sent out to all fighters that actions like what happened on Saturday night will not be tolerated. This Just does not reflect on them but that of Promotion as well. For example look how the UFC deals with fighters who are arrested or break their contract, they show them the door.

that said, i still think that what happened wasnt really as bad as everyone is making out but without proper rules and regulations, no one can pin the blame on one person. if doms cant take a headbutt he shouldnt be fighting at such an event. and if the organisers would invest in a cage rather than a boxing ring, the crowd couldnt storm in and this would have been dispersed a lot quicker. lets be honest here, although liam's actions were uncalled for and i'm sure looking back he knows he let down his club and his team mates, it was all in a heated moment and the whole thing was cleared up in a few minutes. tempers flared and i think everyone understands that if the whole place had kicked off it would have been out of order and ridiculous. i cant see it happening again.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭martic

Cobra ive read your response to all that has happened, this is your 2nd show ive been to every show that chaos have put on as well as fought myself, what Liam has done is inexcusabile, I personally have the acccess to the fight on video which i do not want to put on youtube in the interest of our sport but what i will do is leave it up to the members to decide should it be posted or not.

cobra1983 wrote: »
    if there were rules like these as there should be this whole thread may not have happened at all

i'll let you decide

Fighters must sign a code of conduct in their contract if there isn’t already one in their Contract. The penalty for breaking this clause is the loss of their purse for the bout and a temporary ban of somekind. Some may say this is harsh but a message must be sent out to all fighters that actions like what happened on Saturday night will not be tolerated. This Just does not reflect on them but that of Promotion as well. For example look how the UFC deals with fighters who are arrested or break their contract, they show them the door.

that said, i still think that what happened wasnt really as bad as everyone is making out but without proper rules and regulations, no one can pin the blame on one person. if doms cant take a headbutt he shouldnt be fighting at such an event. and if the organisers would invest in a cage rather than a boxing ring, the crowd couldnt storm in and this would have been dispersed a lot quicker. lets be honest here, although liam's actions were uncalled for and i'm sure looking back he knows he let down his club and his team mates, it was all in a heated moment and the whole thing was cleared up in a few minutes. tempers flared and i think everyone understands that if the whole place had kicked off it would have been out of order and ridiculous. i cant see it happening again.

*cough rampage jackson*

There's no excuse for what he did. What he did was down to himself and his attitude. People celebrate when they win.

I've taken a loss badly before, never once have I take it out on my opponent after the fight. A wall,door chair yes, never the guy who beat me. The guy that beat me put himself through as much training as I have, If he wants to celebrate his win after weeks of dieting and intense training he deserves it.

Also as you've pointed out it was your second event only. You have no vested interest if the sport gets a bad name in Ireland, most of the people on this thread, train mma, Run mma clubs or run mma promotions. So to you it's one guy who threw one headbutt and things like this happen. For alot of us it's one guy throwing 1 headbutt in front of hundreds of people that will likely say what happened to other people, giving our sport a bad name so of course we are going to want a severe punishment. We want mma to be seen as for what it is, A highly technical athletic sport, not two thugs battering each other.

i too have seen video footage of the fights as my friend also trains at evolve and was himself fighting at the event on saturday and i was able to get the oportunity to watch it back on video. i dont condone the incident but all im saying is too much is being made of it. i have the utmost respect for the sport but it seems like people are using this as a long awaited excuse to have a dig at liam and are jumping on the bandwagon to get him him thrown out because they want him out of the sport but i myself hope that he rises above this and redeems himself. i dont claim to have a vested interest in the sport but i have seen what my friend goes through to maintain fitness for a fight and seen how hard they train. so much has been said about the negative side of the event that all the positives seem to have been overlooked. what about the other fighters that came after months of training and showcased their talent and won respectively. i dont think we should let one headbutt get in the way of how well organised the event actually was. lets face it, we didnt go to watch grown men stand and offer eachother on. we went to see mm and that's what we got and in my opinion it was money well spent. it's true every fighter should have respect for their opponent but with the hype leading up to this fight and knowing how liam would react, i think doms should have maybe waited til liam had left the ring and celebrated as he had every right to do. i cant help thinking it was an attempt to coax liam into doing what he did. both fighters were there to do what people wanted to see. i blame the hype. now that it has lived upto what people were expecting, suddenly a guy who has love for the sport is let down because he put on a show. all he needs is to calm it down a bit and learn some discipline. we should be getting behind such talent and not let it go to waste. give the man a chance, i would think he knows he acted irresponsibly in the heat of the moment and not to do it again. or we would hope, like i say i dont know liam but im showing a bit of support because all i seem to be seeing is people running him down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭Scramble

i blame the hype. now that it has lived upto what people were expecting, suddenly a guy who has love for the sport is let down because he put on a show

I think it's more that he 'made a show of himself' rather than that he 'put on a show'. ;) ?

From the outside looking in, with no vested interest- I don't see how you could spin this as anything other than an assault which happened after an MMA match had concluded. Irrespective of someone's 'temper' and whether all and sundry should have 'known' about that, responsibility lies 100 per cent with the person who decided to get physical after the match had already been been decided.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

if doms cant take a headbutt he shouldnt be fighting at such an event.

Since when have scumbag streetfighter skills been a requisite for competing in an MMA event?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

as a long awaited excuse to have a dig at liam and are jumping on the bandwagon to get him him thrown out because they want him out of the sport

I would wager a good few of us here have never even heard of him!
    what my friend goes through to maintain fitness for a fight and seen how hard they train.

Did he practice the post-loss headbutt?
    knowing how liam would react, i think doms should have maybe waited til liam had left the ring and celebrated as he had every right to do.

:eek:I can't believe I'm hearing this. The winner should have respectfully waited until his opponent had left the cage solely because Ward was known to have a temper. That is f***ing ridiculous. Why should a fighter that is more like a scumbag get special treatment for their inability to conduct themselves in a professional manner? How can you actually defend this position?

i cant help thinking it was an attempt to coax liam into doing what he did.

Now you're saying it wasn't his fault?
    suddenly a guy who has love for the sport is let down because he put on a show.

No, he didn't put on a show. He assaulted a fighter after the fight was over. If someone truly loves the sport of MMA they wouldn't behave in this disrespectful and thuggish manner.
    like i say i dont know liam but im showing a bit of support because all i seem to be seeing is people running him down

Sure you don't. Has he written a letter of apology to the other camp yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Tim_Murphy

i'll let you decide

Are you having a laugh?
    i think we should all take a look at what has been said and weigh it up against the nature of the event. it was an mma event and these things sometimes happen.
    You been to two events and you think you are qualified to say that 'these things sometimes happen'?
    blame the hype. now that it has lived upto what people were expecting, suddenly a guy who has love for the sport is let down because he put on a show.
    Bullsh^t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 PM75

And what makes you more qualified to judge? .......You have posted more comments on here, you are older, you have been a member here longer, you have attended more events?

Grow up! Everyone's opinion is just as valued as yours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 koking

spot liams mates that have jus registered to come to his defence ha ha.He made a balls of himself and his club end of,if a fighter cant celebrate without a headbuttt for it its a bad sign for a show,seen the video and was there on the night and it was the sign of an absolute scumbag to do what he done,it looked like he went to attempt it first when doms went to celebrate wit his cornermen but then when he went to celebrate wit his fans he got nutted.i have no ties to either fighter but jus find it funny that people are comin on and defendin him and sayin if domz couldnt take a headbuttt he shouldnt be in mma,youse seem to have a twisted view of what mma is

And what makes you more qualified to judge? .......You have posted more comments on here, you are older, you have been a member here longer, you have attended more events?

Yers actually having been to alot more than 2 mma events where nothing happens I think my opinion is more valid than someone who has only been to two events that says these things sometimes happens and fighters should be able to take head butts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 PM75

1. 'YOUSE' aint a word to start off. Maybe english isn't your strong point.

2. I didnt defend anyone, just tried to bring a balanced view

3. Chaos was a joke in Everglades because the venue is too small and a ring was used with very little space between fighters & fans

4. Too may 'beefcake' steroid heads creating an intimidating atmosphere for the general public and children, standing at entrance into main hall

Best local event i attended was in Letterkenny October '08 organised by Josie Murray. Adequate size venue, proper MMA cage, no alcohol, and all seating for over 600. Looked similar & just as good a set-up as the Official UFC i attended in the 02 dublin.

Maybe there's lessons to be learned all round for Chaos and venue change is called for, even to professionalise the image of the sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Tim_Murphy

I'm not sure who you are talking to, but yes, my opinion is more valid than some randomer who has been to watch two shows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

1. 'YOUSE' aint a word to start off. Maybe english isn't your strong point..

I beg to differ, You'se is as much a word as aint is a word.

Mods, Surely this thread can be closed as the matter is resolved in that the person at fault has been banned. Every fighter and organiser are aware of the incident and i assume will be taking steps to prevent reoccurence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

It has to be said that there is no personal vendetta here, i never even heard of him and dont care who he is or what club he is from-what he done is unforgivable and risking giving him another chance to do this would be fool hardy and would be telling everyone else that they will get a 2nd chance if they do such a thing.

also as seen as he's a checkered past makes it all the more unacceptable as it shows this was not a one in a lifetime mistake, When i read that he punched a down syndrome man that was enough for me to see that this man has serious issues and needs to get them sorted and.

I wish Chaos and evolve the best and they made the only decision they possibly could, on a finishing note i hope other clubs look at this thread and realise that if they train a live wire they should keep him/her out of there club and certainly out of a sporting enviroment that they could tarnish.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement