Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

liam ward, should he be banned? Chaos threads merged.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

The Chisel wrote: »
    FYI - I saw that "tubz" guy there last night. He was wearing a Tapout top similar to the UFC cut-guy "Stitch" - except his said "tubz". Lame on so many levels.

Was tapout spelt correctly? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 The Chisel

calex71 wrote: »
    Maybe someone could be good enough to spell out the facts of what took place here for the less informed amongst us :confused:

But from reading what was posted so far :eek:

Events in order:

• McConnell came to the ring.
    • Ward came to the ring, jumped over the ropes, and went straight up to McConnell & got in his face.
    • McConnell pushed him away.
    • Ref stepped in to hold them apart.
    • Fight starts, and they go at it: McConnell wins with RNC after approx 2mins.
    • Ward hops straight up, and goes over & head-butts McConnell - kinda side-on.
    • McConnell starts punching Ward, and both corners hop into the ring.
    • Fat bird from Ward's corner hops up on apron & tries to get into the ring to create more drama. She yells like an idiot & tries to swing at McConnell & his crew.
    • Scuffle continues inside the ring, as security try to pull people apart. Hard to tell who is who at this point.
    • Situation is eventually diffused by ref & security.
    • McConnell & his corner stood back & showed good retrain, considering they were the ones who got assaulted. It was Ward & his corner that were being held back at this stage,
    • Ward starts throwing "let me at him" shapes in the ring, as do his corner, acting like a bunch of tools. And I distinctly remember some pudgy guy on the apron in a shirt, jeans & grey cardigan trying to act hard. Throwing 'hard-man' shapes as he got down. I LOL'd at this guy.
    • Ward & crew left & went into the back.
    • McConnell & crew left through the crowd, and went out a different exit.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,986 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

So there was no biting involved like someone said earlier?

Still sounds like the fighter and his corner team should be banned though.

So there was no biting involved like someone said earlier?

I didn't see any.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Mrs Lynch

When Peter repositioned the fighters after seperating them in an attempt to calm the crowd Liam bit Dominic:(

I also omitted to say when the trouble ensued someone from Wards camp pulled the hair out of a young girl aged 12 (who they thought was an official at the show - child is merely sporting the t-shirt of her club!!!)

Mrs Lynch
    xxx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Tim_Murphy wrote: »
    Seriously, when did they stop teaching English in school?

+1

How annoying is that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭_oveless

Mrs Lynch wrote: »
    When Peter repositioned the fighters after seperating them in an attempt to calm the crowd Liam bit Dominic:(

I also omitted to say when the trouble ensued someone from Wards camp pulled the hair out of a young girl aged 12 (who they thought was an official at the show - child is merely sporting the t-shirt of her club!!!)

Mrs Lynch
    xxx

Insane. I'm at a loss for words.

Mrs Lynch wrote: »

Okay - I missed this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭UFR Management

The solution to this is simple - he should be banned from training at his club, as should any fighter who conducts him/herself unprofessionally inside/outside the gym.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭angeldance

Hi,

I was at the show lastnight doing ringgirl and I also train in Evolve and tbh I didn't see anything wrong with the reffing. I think Peter did a great job. Jason and John put alot of time and effort into these shows and their fighters and I think it was a really good show apart from the incident with the McConnell and Ward fight. I have to say I couldn't believe it happened as having trained with Ward and seen him training hard I couldn't believe it when it happened.

There were some really good fights and I actually liked the atmosphere up until that second last fight, but thankfully the crowd had calmed down by the last fight. There were some exciting fights and I think apart from that one incident the show was a success.xx

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭colinlaird000

I think this thread actually raises an interesting point. I was cornering at the show and saw the incident, which in my opinion is totally shameful. Most of the fighters i know are true gentlemen, who go out, get the job done and are the first to congratulate their opponent regardless of the result. Is there any legislation regarding what happens when fighters continue the fight after the bell? How do we control this, and who is responsible? If a sportsperson plays in an unsporting manner, they go before an impartial board. Its possible that things that happen within the sporting arena go beyond the sport.. If mixed martial arts continues to grow, having this sort of control over the conduct of fighters is imperative. Without any controls, we have seen that anything is possible. I think both with the crowd and fighters we have to put their conduct into context of what would happen at any other professional sporting event. In fact, with the nature of mixed martial artsbeing honest in the terms of what you see is what you get, we nearly need to be setting examples of good practice.
    Finally, well done to the fighters who had the guts to put themselves forward to fight, and acted accordingly. In the majority, there was a high standard of technical ability and sportsmanship. Lets ensure we remind any onlookers that this is what we are about.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

I surely don't blame CHAOS for Liam Wards actions (This time). I'm just wondering what's gonna happen now in terms of Ward fighting again at this event. After all, he is an EVOLVE fighter and CHAOS is EVOLVE's event. Surely no coach will put a fighter in with him again if CHAOS allow him to fight at this event.

Is there any legislation regarding what happens when fighters continue the fight after the bell? How do we control this, and who is responsible? If a sportsperson plays in an unsporting manner, they go before an impartial board. Its possible that things that happen within the sporting arena go beyond the sport.. If mixed martial arts continues to grow, having this sort of control over the conduct of fighters is imperative.

MMA is unregulated in Ireland. And if a governing body was set up, it would need to be backed by the government & have proper legislation attached. Otherwise, any suspensions it may decide to impose on fighters, for whatever reason, could just be ignored - and then what? Nothing! They would have no legal power to stop that fighter working anywhere he/she wanted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Roper

I proposed a nationwide promotions agreement earlier this year, then I promised to work on it a bit which I've been too busy to do. There's no necessity for government recognition, just an acceptance that all clubs, promoters etc. band together and come up with a policy for safety, weight classes and the like. If that happens, then there would be a list of regulations for shows to follow and of course, this may well include banning fighters who have broken rules or have not conducted themselves in the correct manner. Whether that be a life ban, 6 month ban, 1 year ban or whatever.

I actually don't know the fighter in question and this was the first I had heard of him. So I suppose the first thing I'd say that if all this is true, then why let some nobody ruin a good show? Accentuate the positive on this one by all other accounts this was a show full of decent fights with one moron in the middle.

Who knows what was going through the fella's head but it is a shameful act. However what would also be shameful would be to enforce a ban before all the facts were in and he had a chance to explain himself. Perhaps there were extenuating circumstances, which of course wouldn't excuse the act in itself, but it would seem fair to allow him or his gym to speak out.

Roper wrote: »
    I proposed a nationwide promotions agreement earlier this year, then I promised to work on it a bit which I've been too busy to do. There's no necessity for government recognition, just an acceptance that all clubs, promoters etc. band together and come up with a policy for safety, weight classes and the like. If that happens, then there would be a list of regulations for shows to follow and of course, this may well include banning fighters who have broken rules or have not conducted themselves in the correct manner. Whether that be a life ban, 6 month ban, 1 year ban or whatever.

What's to stop a promotion deciding not to subscribe to your policy? What's to stop a new promotion starting up and ignoring your policy & using who they like? Nothing. It's a great sentiment in theory & I appreciate your integrity, but it simply won't work, as you have no power to enforce your policies & rules.
    They have been trying this for years in the UK with Pro Wrestling governing bodies. All attempts have failed. Promoters do what they like, and nobody can stop them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Roper

The Chisel wrote: »
    What's to stop a promotion deciding not to subscribe to your policy? What's to stop a new promotion starting up and ignoring your policy & using who they like? Nothing. It's a great sentiment in theory & I appreciate your integrity, but it simply won't work, as you have no power to enforce your policies & rules.
    They have been trying this for years in the UK with Pro Wrestling governing bodies. All attempts have failed. Promoters do what they like, and nobody can stop them.
    Very true, there's nothing stopping people at all. But my Da always said you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar :). Having the rubber stamp of approval from even a voluntary body would enhance a promotion's reputation for safety (the first thing on every coach's mind), and if the idea took off there would be a support network for those looking to put on shows in the correct manner. I know I bent Mark Leonard's ear a fair bit when I was putting on my first fight night and I would also help out anyone who wanted to put on a show in the right manner. Having something like a national register of medical officials, referees, judges etc. would be a huge help.

Bad shows get bad reputations and don't survive or just end up getting the right people on board anyway of they want to survive. I won't mention show's names but there are several examples of bad refereeing, bad officiating, bad facilities etc. which mean that clubs don't send fighters again. If a show doesn't want to have a seal of approval from a body that just wants to make sure they have medics, judges, a good referee etc. then I'll live with them not being on board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Strikeforce

I'm usually a bit of a lurker and visit just to find out what shows are on. I had to register to leave a comment on this show though. I'm a big fan of MMA and like to visit shows when I can. I was there last night and was amazed at what happened at the time.

In retrospect though, let's face it, Liam has been like a time bomb waiting to explode. I've never seen him play fair at any time he's been on the card and he gets away with murder on every show.

MMA seems to be trying to clean up its act globally and local shows seem to want to establish a clean image (with the exception of those that sell themselves as "ultimate warfare" or "barn burners waiting to happen" and what not but ask to be taken seriously).

The fact is, local promoters and coaches must be willing to black-ball people like Ward from the gyms, rings and cages throughout the island or there's little hope. Coaches must accept responsibility here too. I find it hard to be believe that Ward's behaviour is to be considered out of character and of great surprise to his coaching team.

Chaos must go on though. For my money it's one of the precious few local shows worth paying money to attend. The McGillion Thomas and Doherty Friel fights were the sort of quality we are looking for. Maybe shows might consider putting less C Class matches on to fill out the bill? Sure this would mean less shows but that could be a good thing at this stage.

More pro fights and less amateur class paid entry events could be a way forward? The sport is too small and by far too divided for any sort of regulation at a national level but most shows can simply choose to apply common sense.

I honestly think an agreement between shows/clubs is a realistic and attainable goal. I could name about 15 clubs and about 6 shows that are making up the bulk of the fight cards in the entire country. The rules don't differ that much from show to show so its not like your asking hurlers to play with baseball bats.

And the question was asked about new shows setting up and ignoring the agreement. Well thats fine but part of the agreement would be that any club in the agreement won't let their fighters fight on shows who haven't agreed to it. If all the major clubs sign up to this you'd struggle to fill a card without joining the agreement.

To just dismiss it without attempting it is just silly. Liam Ward will struggle to get a fight in the near future. Who knows if he'll even have a club to train with after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 koking

is anybody from evolve on here to state what is happening,will he be let fight for them again,will he even be allowed to train in their club again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭John Ferguson

GSPfan wrote: »
    I honestly think an agreement between shows/clubs is a realistic and attainable goal. I could name about 15 clubs and about 6 shows that are making up the bulk of the fight cards in the entire country. The rules don't differ that much from show to show so its not like your asking hurlers to play with baseball bats.

And the question was asked about new shows setting up and ignoring the agreement. Well thats fine but part of the agreement would be that any club in the agreement won't let their fighters fight on shows who haven't agreed to it. If all the major clubs sign up to this you'd struggle to fill a card without joining the agreement.

To just dismiss it without attempting it is just silly. Liam Ward will struggle to get a fight in the near future. Who knows if he'll even have a club to train with after that.

Purely from a promoter point of view we would welcome an agreement between clubs, shows and promoters. This way a standard can be set on things like fighter safety, conduct, crowd control, medical teams, drug testing and i am sure many other issues. It is only by working together will we acheive the status that Irish MMA truely deserves. Of course this is only an opinion!!! :)

John & Mark
    www.fight.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭weemate

Can I just correct a point made earlier?the little girl that was hurt was actually wearing an Evolve t-shirt...I personally attended to the child who was sitting in a corridor off the main hall,clearly terrified.One of the audience came over to the ring and informed me of what had went on and I brought the kid out to sit at the top of the hall out of the way of what was going on.

The mad thing about the whole "there was kids at the event" situation is that the shaved head fellas who were screaming through the ropes and ended up running into the ring were being followed by 2 boys maybe 6 to 10 years old. So I assume they were related to these men and therefore makes the actions of these people even more bizarre.

I've no idea if this is in fact the case so take it for what it is (an observation based on nothing) but to be looking after kids and then being the cause of an INCIDENT is mental!

Anyway..... mistakes were made and lessons learned. (I hope)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Mrs Lynch

Roper wrote: »
    Who knows what was going through the fella's head but it is a shameful act. However what would also be shameful would be to enforce a ban before all the facts were in and he had a chance to explain himself. Perhaps there were extenuating circumstances, which of course wouldn't excuse the act in itself, but it would seem fair to allow him or his gym to speak out.

Barry I know that you have tried hard and previously discussed the prospect of "governing bodies" before and I believe this could only do our sport good. There was camera's and video recordings of last nites events but to protect Irish MMA and discourage mindless conduct I wouldnt want to see this available to general public (again bringing it back to a governing body to impose a ban/ penalty).

What I witnessed pained me dearly and hurt me to the core as an MMA fan. I believe Irish MMA (for the lack of support that we get) we are standing our own and doing a nation proud. Most of our promotions are doing it for the passion of the sport, I remember a few months back the misconduct of a fighter (over celebration) his coach woz furious and almost on the spot dropped him but the fighter apologised to his opponent, the promotion and to his club so was allowed to train (this incident was nothin like last nites). Hopefully we can use what happened and build a stronger resolved MMA community to ensure fighters remain safe and the sport can be enjoyed in the manor intended (again I apologise for my emotions but it got to me and I feel we are so much better than that!!!)

Mrs Lynch
    xxx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭juijitsu black

BAN both of these two thugs, I know all about both, and have seen the slander doninick and laim have been doing on their bebos and other sites about how much they are going to kill each other and other Negative stuf to do with family etc. I do not blame Liam for headbutting the strabane boy... NOT man .. but BOY!! and they go out every weekend and brag how great they are and I have witnessed them beat **** out of poor young guys who are not fighters..... BOTH McConnell and Ward are BULLIES ..... and are not wat the great people of MMA need or WANT...... FU.K OFF both ot you..:mad::mad:!!!!! And for everyony slaging Laim off, he is just human, and sticking up against what Dominick SLABBERED about him and his family..... but what the heck do I know or count for... Nothing. Both lads are right in their own way... and that is from someone who knows alot, but cant spell so save sh.t incase anyone here wants to pick on someboodys dislex disposition,,,, In my oppinion, these people should be banned from the board,, like TUBZ, or TUBS the camera man who thinks he knoes about MMA..:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

There's already a thread on this topic.

If they want to slag each other off or **** each other off outside of the ring that's their own business. Being a dickhead is not against MMA rules, whereas headbutting someone after a fight most certainly is.

LOL.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Dancor

The plot thickens..............I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Perfect fit

does your caps button keep gettin stuck op?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Chris89

I got a temporary ban on here before for calling someone a bag of sweets. no lie, and some of the stuff people are coming out with here is a joke.

who cares if theyre both knackers, the people putting them in the ring are to blame i reckon. I doubt this fella would have got a job in tesco so why are you giving him a job in your ring or cage or whatever.
    laim have been doing on their bebos

noone even uses bebo anymore, what losers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Tim_Murphy

bebo is like sooo two years ago... :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement