Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

School Uniform?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Dankoozy

Naked schoolgirls FTW
    ****ing stupid uncomfortable yokes. burnt mine on the last day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

brummytom wrote: »
    Dear Parent/Carer
    This letter has been sent to inform you that your child is now at LEVEL 2 in regard to infringing rules in relation to their uniform - see below:

Level 2: Verbal warning (by any member of staff), with the Tutor being informed for a second time via eportal. Another meeting will be held with the student whilst also initiating a letter home via the main office.

To avoid further sanctions it is imperative that you impress upon them the need to abide by the rules. Please not that the next levels of referral include an after school detention, if necessary a fixed term exclusion, and a follow up meeting with parents.

Holy shít! :eek:

they use a web based tool to moan about uniforms. LOL UK!

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

No
    The-Rigger wrote: »
    How many days off have you taken this school year Tom?
    im not tom but

i hvnt missed any now i think of it

uniforms are mainly needed to represent a school...and to teach dicipline
    :pac:* * * * * * * * * :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Whenever I think I'm mature, I see something that confirms I'm still childish.
    Psh, I'm 25 and that still happens to me!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

"One study of a Long Beach, California school showed that adopting school uniforms reduced crime by 91% and sexual offenses where reduced by 96%. Although in the past, there may have been different reasons for school uniforms such as adding structure by creating an organized appearance, today the main concern is the rise in crime and violence and the safety of the students."

"There are some studies and uniform statistics that suggest that dressing students identically has an negative psychological effect on their development. In 1997, Australia even made it illegal for public schools to require uniforms."

Source: http://school101.wordpress.com/2009/09/09/facts-about-school-uniforms/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Any key?

Naked schoolgirls FTW
    I went to a very strict school.

Had to wear a name badge for SIX YEARS! Got detention once for having th wrong shoes. Freak show!

I voted no. Work as a teacher now. The kids don't wear uniforms its nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Any key? wrote: »
    I went to a very strict school.

Had to wear a name badge for SIX YEARS! Got detention once for having th wrong shoes. Freak show!

I voted no. Work as a teacher now. The kids don't wear uniforms its nice.
    What were the right shoes :confused:

Oh god I can just imagine the synchronised walking in the hallways :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

I don't mind uniforms just the hate how strict my school is about wearing it.
    One time I was walking into school (about 5 minutes late) the principal starts walking towards me and I was thinking to myself aw no hes gonna give out to me for being late. Anyways he grabs me and brings me to his office, makes me sit outside then calls me in and asks me why I thought he brought me there. I said because I was late and he starts going crazy and says no its because you are wearing inappropriate socks:eek: They were flipping white I was in shock at this. Then he starts going on about how my shoes were not correct either. I mean they were leather pumps what am I supposed to be wearing ? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Paddycrumlinman

No
    School Uniforms are a good Idea. I hated it when in school myself but now looking back it was beneficial.

Two benefits of wearing uniforms...

1. Gives the school goer as sense of belonging. They may hate school, but it gives school goers a sense of where they belong.

2. It eradicates the chance of bulling due to kids not having the latest and greatest of clothing. Every one is an equal while wearing a uniform.

Living in America, it pisses me of with the attitude over here when it comes to schools. You think Irish schools have it bad, well schools here in the States are no better than Third world schools, seriously, they have it all fooked up.

I have two kids, one in school and he is not required to wear a uniform. They have dress codes, but for fooks sakes, you should see what these kids wear. You can tell which kids have a hard time with clothes and some are basically in tatters. Even ones that have good clothes are all over the place. So disorganized to be honest.

I have discussed this with many a person over here in the states and put my point of view across with regards the benefits of uniforms. The answer is about been "free" and freedom of choice.

What a load of bollix I says. My question to the Americans is this.

I would ask if they would send their (Poxy, blood thirsty) Military into war without a Uniform? Their answer is off course not and look at me like I am crazy....

It's a no brainier for me that the benefits of wearing a Uniform out ways not having one.

Even though my son is not required to wear a uniform, We have him plain only school clothes without fanciness or frills and the outfits he has is his uniform, removed when he comes home.

PS Clothes he wears for school bears the school emblem and he is proud of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

No
    I started a new school for 5th year last year for Leaving cert((You know one of those over priced ones:o)) and we dont have to wear a uniform and I cna honestly say I miss my olds school one.While I did kinda hate it then I really do miss it,also it wasnt as much hassle to pick out which clothes your gonna wear in the morning.

There is a jnr school for 1-3rd years but theres only like 20 of them and they wear a snot green(litrally!) uniform...its horrible so I guess I should be glad we dont have them there.

what annoyed me once last eyar was when I had to get a taxi home after getting of the train((Live a bit outside town)) and the taxi driver tohught I was in colledge and I innocently murmerd in the back"Um...no 5th..."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

No
    school uniforms erode individuality .. remember reading that in school before

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

No
    thats what hair is for :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

The "you can't tell how rich someones family is by their uniform" agrument is such a load of bull.

My uniform lasts about 6 months before it literally falls apart. And thats just from wearing it 8-4. Costs about €70 per skirt. Jumper starts unravelling after three months.

You can tell from a single glance who has a second (or third) hand uniform. The threads loosen and the colour drains every single time its washed. So easy to spot who has a second hand uniform.

The maroon junior uniform slowly turns pink, meaning it's this icky pinky grey colour by the time its passed on.
    The blue senior uniform goes grey by end of 6th year. Try stretching another two years out of it. Just screams second hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

God, having a school uniform saved so much hassle. Although thankfully we didn't have those Handmaid's Tale type super long skirts everywhere else in Ireland seemed to have.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I'm stuck between the two Toms
    PM sent
    You're getting worse!! :eek:

An File wrote: »
    My girlfriend seems to like my old school tie :cool:
    Ties you to the bed with it, does she? :p
    IvySlayer wrote: »
    However, I know a mate of mine who's school gives you an option of what to wear. Black shoes, black trousers and you have to wear a white shirt. There's a black school jacket you can wear over the shirt if they want, and there's a blue jumper they can also wear, it's down to the student.

I think giving students a choice is beneficial. Just like in the office, there is no set uniform, but you are expected to wear good shoes, trousers and shirt.
    Spot on the button.

Friend of mine teaches in England in a boys' school which has what I consider an excellent uniform policy.

Required wear is plain dark blue jeans (fancy labels strongly discouraged), plain black runners or shoes, plain white shirt, plain navy jumper.

They do have a blazer and a school tie (grey AFAIR) with crest but they are required only on "formal" days ... e.g. when inter-school matches are on, there are special visitors, etc.

Only the blazer and tie have to be sourced from the school outfitters, and they tend to last and get passed down within families as they don't get much use. The rest can be bought as cheaply as you can get them in any chainstore, provided they meet the guidelines.

Perfect compromise to my mind between the rigid poncey school uniform do-your-tie-up extreme on the one hand, and the free-for-all fashion parade on the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

my school wasn't too bad about it.
    It was just when the uniform got wet in the rain it was a b*tch, especially the skirt which resembled wet cardboard after being caught in the rain and the wool jumpers would take all day to dry.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Ties you to the bed with it, does she? :p

You sir have just given me an idea... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

No
    Beruthiel wrote: »
    lol
    There are levels now?
    How many?
    Do they go all the way up to Defcon 3?

Im sure they go all the way up to 11 :D

Yeah Im all for uniforms, luckily my secondary schools uniform wasnt that horrendous and they only got strict when they felt the need to. (i.e teachers throwing a strop)
    Bit hit and miss really! We had a black jumper, Grey trousers and any black shoes. Grey shirt or poloneck, and a tie.
    So some days you could goin with black pants or grey , tie no tie. Whatever! Then just as you would get comfortable with your new attire, BAM! You would get a warning!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭chachabinx

My principle was mad for the presentation of the school. She would stand at the front door with make-up wipes every morning & actually had a full time uniform checker!!!!

When I started teenage-pregnancy's were unheard of (at our school)... by the time we got 2 5th year there was 2nd years & all pregnant...it was so funny knowning the shame she was feeling... she was going crazy!

We didn't have ties though thank god... I think they look ridiculous on girls...

I think uniforms are pretty necessary... I went to a school full of terenure toffs who wore dubes & o'neills & the like but Im sure there was people in the school that looked up to them & wouldn't be able to afford the lables and alot of bullying goes on in schools too...

I completely disagree with the fact that girls have to wear skirts in this day 7 age thought... I used to be sick with chest infections & flu's at lease 4 times a year compared to my one a year now!!!
    Its so outdated & sexist too....
    And its not fair in the middle of the winter going around in public transport freezing your arse off!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭chachabinx

kateos2 wrote: »
    my school wasn't too bad about it.
    It was just when the uniform got wet in the rain it was a b*tch, especially the skirt which resembled wet cardboard after being caught in the rain and the wool jumpers would take all day to dry.

Well if we got wet we could put on our tracksuit... my bus used to drop me to the door so I'd sneak into the toilet first & put my skirt in the sink...

"MISS IM DROWNED"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭orlaxxx

No
    our school is ridiculous with the uniform.. our skirts cant be too long or too short??? we have to wear dubs which cost about €100 every year!! if our jumpers rip just a tiny bit a letter goes straight home telling our parents to purchase new ones around €60! we have to wear full uniform at ALL times!!! our heavy schools jumpers in the middle of may!! White blouses that have to be butonned up to the neck.... its just horrible!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Naked schoolgirls FTW
    I thankfully never had to wear one in my life.
    The idea might have had value in Victorian times, but it's more than obvious that it hasn't turned society any less class-conscious, on the contrary.
    And these days, mandatory uniforms are simply an added unnecessary strain on less afluent families.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

if your ma and da give out to you for that
    they dont love you
    my da would tell them to fu*k off
    then hed tell me to tell them to fu*k off
    then they would tell me da i told them to fu*k off
    then he would bate me for cursing at my teachers :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭V_Moth

saiint wrote: »
    if your ma and da give out to you for that
    they dont love you
    my da would tell them to fu*k off
    then hed tell me to tell them to fu*k off
    then they would tell me da i told them to fu*k off
    then he would bate me for cursing at my teachers :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Naked schoolgirls FTW
    I think the OP may have long finished with his school uniform by now....

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

No
    No need to bring back old threads when there is a current on on the front page.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056380445
    OSI wrote: »
    although, going by your username, that could be what you're aiming for.
    Play nicer

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement