Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

School Uniform?

Options
  • 15-10-2009 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭

Our school's been going mad on uniform recently;
    I've just got this letter through the door:
    Dear Parent/Carer
    This letter has been sent to inform you that your child is now at LEVEL 2 in regard to infringing rules in relation to their uniform - see below:

Level 2: Verbal warning (by any member of staff), with the Tutor being informed for a second time via eportal. Another meeting will be held with the student whilst also initiating a letter home via the main office.

To avoid further sanctions it is imperative that you impress upon them the need to abide by the rules. Please not that the next levels of referral include an after school detention, if necessary a fixed term exclusion, and a follow up meeting with parents.

In anticipation of your continued support.

Yours sincerely,

Form Tutor

Now there's no return slip so mom and dad aren't going to see this - but it's my parents evening tonight so they'll find out. I wouldn't mind if I'd done something seriously wrong.

My heinous crime?
    Having my tie not completely up to the top of my shirt once. It says I've been told off twice, but once was just a teacher in a strop with me.

So what do you think of uniform? Is it needed, is it a tired old custom.. and are my school mental?

Do schools need uniform? 141 votes

Yes
    0%
    No
    76%
    D-GenerateMossy MonkRuu_OldBeruthielDamienHAstro1996AbdielAgent SmithkelledelricyoKhanniegerryjuiceRoviskregsNewaglishphantom_lordbikosegaBOY#Smokey#Thirdfox 108 votes
    Naked schoolgirls FTW
    23%
    EniiJupiterKidKnifeWRENCHCorkfeengerTheGreatShenshenPlayGirlBlowfishJuliusCaesarDankoozycheerioNiall09kieranfitzbuckieburdGavin "shels"Pride FightermoonflowerAoifeNLollipops23whitetigerkungf 33 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

brummytom wrote: »

So what do you think of uniform? Is it needed, is it a tired old custom.

It's a good thing.
    Saved manys the marriage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

school uniforms are silly, i remember back in my school days people would be sent home if they had their tie off or wore the wrong colour trousers. denying someone a days education over something as trivial as that is wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

why arnt you at school?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

Just wear the uniform. It will prepare you for office life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭ChillyJilly

No
    Rules are rules.

Unfortunately when you're in school you have to abide by them... i know having your tie slightly down may seem like a small thing to you, but the school want to be known as having well-presented pupils.

And really... is it too much effort to have your tie done up correctly? If it means less hassle in the long run I know I would take the extra milli-second to do it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Personally I like uniforms, no need to think what to wear in morning, no issues of someones clothes are more expensive than others, I think there is evidence kids work better in uniform too.

But is your mental, yes, if this is really just about a tie not being done up it feckin ridiculous. I know your more bringing up discussion than looking for advice but if i was you i'd get to ur parents first, tell them how stupid ur school is being.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Naked schoolgirls FTW
    why arnt you at school?

Sick :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

and there i was, thinking you were skipping school!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

you are sick. you read men only!

Naked schoolgirls FTW
    you are sick. you read men only!

That was neither my bedroom nor my magazine

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Long Onion

School is not a democratic institution - pull your tie up you ruffian and straighten your back - no slouching.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

No
    Uniforms are handy once you've left school. You can instantly tell roughly how old kids are and who to rat them out to if they're playing up when you're out and about.

They shouldn't send you home for having a loose tie though, thats ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Tell them to fcuk off.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

How many days off have you taken this school year Tom?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Prof.Badass

Naked schoolgirls FTW
    So what do you think of uniform? Is it needed, is it a tired old custom.. and are my school mental?

Uniforms should be done away with. They are uncomforatble, can get cold, and the shoes discourage physical activity. I don't at all think uniforms decrease bullying. Bullies will always find something. On the other hand i think single sex schooling greatly increases bullying for both genders.

ps, i lost my tie some point during 4th year. Nothing happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

No
    I remember when I was about 16, my Nazi principal caught me with my shirt untucked and gave me a stamp in my journal. IT WAS LUNCH TIME!

Anyway that was fair enough, kinda, but a few weeks later he calls me over again and says your shirt is untucked and I pointed out no, my shirt is just folded over my belt, but completely tucked in. He gave me a stamp for having my trousers too low around my waist!

Now I was not one of those trousers around the knees boxer showing idiots. It was a normal pair of trousers pulled up to a perfectly acceptable height.

Nazi I tell you!

Naked schoolgirls FTW
    Insurgent wrote: »
    Tell them to fcuk off.

A lad did that, got suspended for a week
    The-Rigger wrote: »
    How many days off have you taken this school year Tom?

Ehhh....4

I didn't say I had perfect attendance!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

No
    AEhhh....4

I was out so much for 5th and 6th year I got letters home saying I may not be let sit my leaving cert. Not even form the school, but from dept. Education. Didn't stop taking days off, nothing was ever done either.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,009 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Our school's been going mad on uniform recently;

Now there's no return slip so mom and dad aren't going to see this - but it's my parents evening tonight so they'll find out. I wouldn't mind if I'd done something seriously wrong.

My heinous crime?
    Having my tie not completely up to the top of my shirt once. It says I've been told off twice, but once was just a teacher in a strop with me.

Take a canteen of cutlery and do a Columbine, whilst wearing the school tie around your forehead. Would that be Level 1?

Ehhh....4

lol. It feels like most days!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

school uniforms are an old catholic tradition thats why some if not all of the new multi cultural educate together national schools dont have uniforms,when i went to school in the netherlands we never had to wear uniforms(although it did make mitching off easier)

Naked schoolgirls FTW
    The-Rigger wrote: »
    lol. It feels like most days!

That's just because I have so much presence :pac:

I go to a very good school; just a normal state school but a good/popular/oversubscribed one. We have an impeccible reputation, and always have had despite not having this strict uniform policy at any time before this year.
    The school down the road has perfect uniform, but is known as a bad school despite this - If I see kids in a bad uniform, I'd look at the school to decide what kind of kids they were and not whether their shirt was untucked.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,009 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

betafrog wrote: »
    When I was in school in London everything was controlled regards to your appearance. There was a school uniform (Shirt, Tie, Cardigan, Trousers, Blazer and black shoes) a school coat(the ugliest black coat you've ever seen) and even worse, a school bag, had the school logo and everything on it.

Then we moved to Ireland and on my first day in my new Irish secondary school the first person I met had 6 inch slits up the inside of his school trousers from the ankles up, a jumper that looked like it was 4 sizes to big with holes in both arms and his tie was so low you couldn't see the knot beneath his jumper. And no, he wasn't unique in what was supposedly a respectable school.

I expect that a lot of uniforms get handed down generation after generation, or get stolen from the locker-rooms. One of ours put her brand spanking new jumper down, and within a minute, some mysterious klepto-fecker nicked it.:(

That's just because I have so much presence :pac:

I go to a very good school; just a normal state school but a good/popular/oversubscribed one. We have an impeccible reputation, and always have had despite not having this strict uniform policy at any time before this year.
    The school down the road has perfect uniform, but is known as a bad school despite this - If I see kids in a bad uniform, I'd look at the school to decide what kind of kids they were and not whether their shirt was untucked.

ra ra ra ra ra ra affluence.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Our school used to drop that bullshit line about the uniform being a proud and prestigious emblem of how much respect we and the community held the place.

In reality, it was just an exercise in social control. Uniforms really are just a mechanism for keeping kids to conform. I despised that.

It's funny, this time next year I'll be a qualified teacher...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

No
    I voted yes because I had to wear one, so, out of spite, I want future generations to whinge to all and sundry about "defacing my individuality with a phallic necktie" and "draconian instruments of social control".

It's only fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭whitetigerkungf

Naked schoolgirls FTW
    All uniforms do is put extra costs on parents, School uniforms cost a fortune and are really poor quality. The reason yer mans jumper looked 4 times to big for him is cause those jumpers just streched out in no time.
    even if you looked after them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭994

Naked schoolgirls FTW
    Rules are rules.

Unfortunately when you're in school you have to abide by them... i know having your tie slightly down may seem like a small thing to you, but the school want to be known as having well-presented pupils.
    But surely the pupils are part of the school? This is what I really hated about school, they put so much effort into enforcing unimportant rules but didn't seem to give a damn that people learned almost nothing over 5/6 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Keogg

Lies!

I hate my uniform, but as seniors, we dont have to wear ties!! hahaa:D major plus
    that seems really strict, our school would never do that... probably..

(On a side note, where's your thomas the tank engine gone? Screw Tommy pickles, i got really confused for a second or two there)

• Advertisement

Naked schoolgirls FTW
    Keogg wrote: »
    Lies!

I hate my uniform, but as seniors, we dont have to wear ties!! hahaa:D major plus
    that seems really strict, our school would never do that... probably..

(On a side note, where's your thomas the tank engine gone? Screw Tommy pickles, i got really confused for a second or two there)

I'm in the last year of uniform, thanks be to jesus!

I got bored of the tommy tank...
    I can't decide what avatar to have

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement