Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

School Uniform?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Keogg

brummytom wrote: »
    I'm in the last year of uniform, thanks be to jesus!

I got bored of the tommy tank...
    I can't decide what avatar to have
    I know uniforms suck, my jumper is so itchy.
    in our school were only allowed have black plain no logo jackets to wear, and were not allowed hats/scarves/gloves/etc..

i only really picked bender cause i wasnt arsed looking for something interesting, and my computer had some ****ed up way of showing me all those little pics that are in your settings, i could only see about half of them:rolleyes:

btw i picked naked schoolgirls, ftw on your poll:D...
    i gotta stop picking/saying things that make me look gay, i'm actually not!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Frogy

No
    I wore a uniform till 1st year and hated it then moved abroad to a school with no uniform. I loved it for about a month then wished I could still wear a uniform. There was so much pressure to wear a different outfit each day. With regards to the uniforms of today I think we should lose the shirts and ties. Kids can look smart in a polo shirt and jumper.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Naked schoolgirls FTW
    Keogg wrote: »
    I know uniforms suck, my jumper is so itchy.
    in our school were only allowed have black plain no logo jackets to wear, and were not allowed hats/scarves/gloves/etc..
    Yep snap.
    We have to wear black trousers, white shirt, brown blazer, brown and yellow tie and black socks :cool:
    i only really picked bender cause i wasnt arsed looking for something interesting, and my computer had some ****ed up way of showing me all those little pics that are in your settings, i could only see about half of them:rolleyes:
    Fairy nuff.. I'm stuck between the two Toms.. Thomas the Tank or Tommy Pickles
    btw i picked naked schoolgirls, ftw on your poll:D...
    i gotta stop picking/saying things that make me look gay, i'm actually not!
    Damn

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

You must confront your school about this, but do it by the book. First things first you'll need to invoke Godwin's law and call them all Nazi's. Then organise your entire school to flashmob the school to the song "brick in the wall". I don't see how that wouldn't work, you'll all be wearing tracksuit bottoms by this time next week, mark my words.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

No
    We had a uniform in primary and secondary school. Most of the other surrounding primary schools didn't have one. I preferred having one than just regular clothes. *gets out little red tie with elastic and puts it around the neck* :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

My girlfriend seems to like my old school tie :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭KilOit

I liked having a uniform, having to decide on what to wear each morning would get frustrating, hate the feeling of wool on my skin though and when some kids would chew their jumpers it would make a awful sound that would send shivers down my spine, small price to pay i guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Ziggurat

Where's the naked schoolboys option?

Naked schoolgirls FTW
    Ziggurat wrote: »
    Where's the naked schoolboys option?

PM sent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Ziggurat

PM sent

Fapping at the speed of light.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭delricyo

No
    I voted Yes - its less hassle for the parents and children.
    Back when I was in school, I didnt exactly have any "fancy" ordinary clothes that I could have worn instead of the uniform.
    I wasnt one of the cool kids :(

But parts of the uniform rules were a bit silly. Say if you had P.E. last class in the evening - you still had to get back into your full uniform (tie also). Silly

Also the smoking rule was "No smoking in school uniform". Some people tried to test this rule by smoking at the bus stop without their ties. Dont think it worked :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

No
    An File wrote: »
    My girlfriend seems to like my old school tie :cool:

be careful...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭Rondolfus

No
    Yes and they also need corporal punishment. Only joking about the last bit . Actually no Im not, teenagers now-a-days need a good beating. It'll stop them thinking that they're all "Gangsta"

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

No
    Uniforms are necessary imo. No petty bickering over labels, not having to pick out clothes in the morning.

However, I know a mate of mine who's school gives you an option of what to wear. Black shoes, black trousers and you have to wear a white shirt. There's a black school jacket you can wear over the shirt if they want, and there's a blue jumper they can also wear, it's down to the student.

I think giving students a choice is beneficial. Just like in the office, there is no set uniform, but you are expected to wear good shoes, trousers and shirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,145 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

No
    Not to repeat the tired essays they make us do in LC about this but uniforms have benefits. Draconian enforcement - letters home over ties - thats ridiculous. Never heard of it. The worst I ever saw was our CSPE teacher who was a bit mental and OCD. We'd wear our collars crooked just to screw with her.

If you go to Flannans you know who im talking about.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

No
    your child is now at LEVEL 2

lol
    There are levels now?
    How many?
    Do they go all the way up to Defcon 3?

Uniforms are a good idea - not everyone can afford to be a fashion icon. Uniforms keep everyone at the same level.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

I didn't mind the uniforms we had. It was a step up from Primary school because we didn't have ties on ours.

Even so, they did get a bit thick about it every now and then. They were annoyed that people weren't wearing an unnecessary but compulsory school jacket on the walk to and from school. They had inspection days every now and then that I'd forget about hence I wouldn't bring it. But I don't think they cared enough to send people home over it and I regularly saw people wearing different clothes toward the end of the year, especially 6th.

Despite that it didn't do much to protect against the cold of winter, I think I preferred it. It allowed me to avoid being questioned on my unhygenic practice of wearing the same clothes everyday. With that said, it probably shouldn't be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

No
    I'm lucky my kids can wear Dunnes or Marks uniform - no logos so not too expensive. If there was no standard uniform in their school, my son would wear tracksuits. But I wouldn't like to have to select outfits for my daughter every day - that would be a nightmare because she's SO fussy.

The uniform we had in the 80s was awful. There was a pure wool jumper which we were warned could only be handwashed and left out to dry, not over a cooker or a radiator. It would take days to dry, especially in winter, and get very smelly. So I only washed mine during midterm breaks and holidays. If only we could have worn the cotton jumpers of today, which you can throw into the washing machine it would have been so much easier!

Naked schoolgirls FTW
    Beruthiel wrote: »
    lol
    There are levels now?
    How many?
    Do they go all the way up to Defcon 3?

Yep, five.
    Level 1: Verbal warning can be given by any member of staff. Tutors will be informed via eportal (online student record) and they in turn will meet with the student and firmly remind them of what will occur if they fail to follow school rules appertaining to their uniform. In support of this process, tutors should check e-portal events daily.

Level 2: Verbal warning (by any member of staff) with the Tutor being informed for a second time via eportal. Another meeting will be held with the student whilst also initiating a letter home via the main office. (See note in Level 1, re tutors and the need for eportal checks)

Level 3: Verbal warning (by any member of staff) with the Tutor being informed for a third time via eportal. HALs to access online CMIS report (Student Record) on regular basis and not less than once a week, for a student who has 3+ referrals. The HAL will then meet with the student whilst also initiating an after school detention and a letter to parents via the main office. (For information, reports will also be available for 1+ referrals)

Level 4: Verbal warning (by any member of staff) with the Tutor informed for a fourth time via eportal. Once HALs are aware of this referral, via online CMIS report, they will inform the Key Stage Leader who will meet with the student and, via Headteacher/Deputy Headteacher, initiate a one day exclusion and follow up meeting with parents which will be held with HAL and Form Tutor.

Level 5: Subsequent offences are dealt with at ‘level three’ and ‘level four’ with both detentions and exclusions increased by one on each occasion. Follow up meetings after any exclusion will be held in the first instance with HAL and Key Stage Leader, followed as necessary by meetings with Key Stage Leader and either Headteacher or Deputy Headteacher, who will have also met with the student.

Please note that persistent wilful disobedience of any school rule may result in permanent exclusion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Frogy

No
    Do you remember the awful gaberdine coats that we had to wear in secondary school? If it rained the rain would go right through them and the smell off 30 of them in the one room as they started to dry out! Disgusting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Dear Parent/Carer
    This letter has been sent to inform you that your child is now at LEVEL 2 in regard to infringing rules in relation to their uniform - see below:

Level 2: Verbal warning (by any member of staff), with the Tutor being informed for a second time via eportal. Another meeting will be held with the student whilst also initiating a letter home via the main office.

To avoid further sanctions it is imperative that you impress upon them the need to abide by the rules. Please not that the next levels of referral include an after school detention, if necessary a fixed term exclusion, and a follow up meeting with parents.

In anticipation of your continued support.

Yours sincerely,

Form Tutor
    Level 2? What is your school, a bunker? "We're at DEFCON 2, Tom's forgot his tie again."
    TBH, detention doesn't sound too bad.

If you're in a gayhole guy only school (like me) then no uniforms are grand, lads don't give a ****e what each other wear anyway.
    If you're in a girls only/mixed school (if your in a girls only though you've got worse problems than the uniform) then I'd support it. It makes life easier for the girls, who're alot more bitchy about it, obviously.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,262 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Yep, five.

They have a complete hierarchy of uniform police and HAL from 2001 checking if your shoes are shiny? Have they nothing to be doing (such as learning to wtite properly - that note home is a joke)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭vangoz

Our school's been going mad on uniform recently;
    I've just got this letter through the door:

Now there's no return slip so mom and dad aren't going to see this - but it's my parents evening tonight so they'll find out. I wouldn't mind if I'd done something seriously wrong.

My heinous crime?
    Having my tie not completely up to the top of my shirt once. It says I've been told off twice, but once was just a teacher in a strop with me.

So what do you think of uniform? Is it needed, is it a tired old custom.. and are my school mental?

"I know you can read my thoughts, brummytom. Just remember, if I find out you cut class, your ass is mine. Yes, you heard me. I think words I would never say."

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

No
    All uniforms do is put extra costs on parents, School uniforms cost a fortune and are really poor quality. The reason yer mans jumper looked 4 times to big for him is cause those jumpers just streched out in no time.
    even if you looked after them.

Having no uniforms would put even more cost on parents because, as stated below -
    Frogy wrote: »
    There was so much pressure to wear a different outfit each day.

It would turn school into a fashion show and kids would want to be wearing the latest United jersey/Nike runners/insertbrandnamehere hoodie. And God forbid if a child were to wear the same outfit twice in the one week......pikey tbh.

Uniforms are great because there is no way to distinguish who is wealthy/poor and it decreases the pressure on kids which in turn decreases the pressure on parents.

Naked schoolgirls FTW
    They have a complete hierarchy of uniform police and HAL from 2001 checking if your shoes are shiny? Have they nothing to be doing (such as learning to wtite properly - that note home is a joke)?

I know, it's ridiculous. I've a feeling that letter was written by our Deputy Head - he's an ex-Army officer & boxer, can scare the life out of you with a glance, but can't write for toffee.

HAL=Head of Attainment and Learning (FFS! Head of Year to normal people)

The deputy head was telling us off in the hall "This is a big year for you - we need to focus on what's really important" (he says as he's whinging about having your tie too loose! :eek:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

School uniforms are good, but being so anal about it is wrong.
    I remember in first year, the new principal (his first year too, baptism in fire) tried to make everyone button up to the top, fully tied tie etc. LAsted about three months.

Just wait and see, once they have 50-60 kids on detention over stupid stuff like this they'll realise its not workable.

Naked schoolgirls FTW
    Nevore wrote: »
    School uniforms are good, but being so anal about it is wrong.

Whenever I think I'm mature, I see something that confirms I'm still childish.

But yeah, I agree with your post - I can't see it lasting

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

No
    I went to Flannan's in Clare which up until the year after I joined was lads only. Shirt, tie, vneck jumper pants. Not strictly enforced, grand... When the girls arrived into first year for the first time a year after, the uniform was changed to poloneck and jumper. Then i did TY which is tiny in that school, and obviously, went we rejoined the LC cycle, there were girls there. The uniform was being enforced stupidly all of a sudden, with what colour socks you wore being watched, which was mad. Even so i still think it's a better option than no uniform ... Glad I'm in college now though. I'll be a teacher next year, and i'll be the one putting kids on level 2. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Not saying I like them but I can see the point to them, especially in primary schools where other kids may feel pressured to show up to school wearing the same new Ireland jersey that all their friends have, family may not be able to afford it and then the problems begin. At least with a uniform this doesnt happen. Also I'd imagine if you were a teacher going on a school trip abroad for example it would be a lot easier to identify your group if they were all wearing uniform. Agree though that there is no point in being so up tight about it, who cares if someones tie is a bit loose come the last class on a Friday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭beng128

Naked schoolgirls FTW
    Xavi6 wrote: »
    It would turn school into a fashion show and kids would want to be wearing the latest United jersey/Nike runners/insertbrandnamehere hoodie. And God forbid if a child were to wear the same outfit twice in the one week......pikey tbh.

That i s really not true in my school. We have a dress code which i long so i won't quote it but the jist of it is a casual friday in an office job, no tracksuits, jerseys (except school ones), or sluty clothing.

I have worn the same outfit for about three days in a row and never got slagged and i've noticed girls doing this and they never get any hassle. I am not exaclty rich but i do have one or two good brand name hoodies and jeans but the rest is penneys and dunnes and again i have never got slagged or hassled.

I guess the amount of torment from other students would really depend on the school.

PS: I'm in a northside school with scangers from north west dublin and D4 wannabies from ClontOrf and its all happy families.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement