Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fields of Athenry 10km 2009

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

aburke wrote: »
    30:40 Set last year by GT AFAIK.
    He's in better form this year so will be hard to beat. Paul MacNamara, Emmet Dunleavy and Rory Cheser will keep him honest.

Maybe I should opt out and watch the battle unfold! :D Sounds like it should be a cracking race.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Looking forward to this a lot now. I really want one of those T-shirts.
    First time doing this race, does it attract good support from the people of athenry on the day? Hopefully we'll get good weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭aburke

30:40 Set last year by GT AFAIK.
    He's in better form this year so will be hard to beat. Paul MacNamara, Emmet Dunleavy and Rory Cheser will keep him honest.

I've been informed he ran 30:02 in 2007.
    Sean Hehir will also be in the mix there.

Seres wrote: »
    whos your bet for the ladies ? , couple of strong contestants there in the line up
    I've been told Catherine Conway is focussing on this race, so will be hard to beat again. Lucy Brennan ran around 2:50 in Dublin, so is in cracking form too.

Update: IF we have to cancel the race, we will update our website at 9am tomorrow morning.
    We will also issue a text to our database of race entrants.
    It looks like we'll be OK, if the weather forecast is accurate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

Hi Alan,

Sorry to hear you had to cancel the race. I know how much preparations you guys have put in over the past few months and that you have done everything possible to get it done. Can't argue with mother nature unfortunately, and I'm sure its the correct call as the last thing you need is someone getting injured or hurt.
    I tried to run yesterday afternoon and everywhere was still covered with ice, I think there was just so much of it that it would have teken a dramatic rise in temps to get rid of it all on time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

That's unfortunate but as speedy says it can't be helped. The roads are still treacherous. I still look forward to it whenever it does happen.
    I wonder how Westport is looking for tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭locteau

Folks,
    The race is unfortunately cancelled. The roads around the town are coverred in ice and it's dangerous to travel let alone run. We'll be re-scheduling the run for another date in the near future and we'll obviously let everyone know of the new arrangements asap.

Mick Rice Athenry AC
    Posting from Locteau's account :-) hence the title :-)

The race has been PROVISIONALLY rescheduled for Sunday January 3rd at 1-30pm.
    The date is dependant on race insurace and weather [obviously!].

Your entry is automatically valid for the rescheduled date.

If you cannot make this date you can defer your entry to next years event by emailing alan@athenryac.com before Dec 31st.
    Alternatively, you can obtain a refund by emailing alan@athenryac.com with your entry details before Dec 31st.

Please check www.athenryac.com regularly for updates.

For Athenry AC members, an organisational meeting will be held on Wednesday 30th, 8pm, Raheen Woods Hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

The race has been PROVISIONALLY rescheduled for Sunday January 3rd at 1-30pm.
    The date is dependant on race insurace and weather [obviously!].

Your entry is automatically valid for the rescheduled date.

If you cannot make this date you can defer your entry to next years event by emailing alan@athenryac.com before Dec 31st.
    Alternatively, you can obtain a refund by emailing alan@athenryac.com with your entry details before Dec 31st.

Please check www.athenryac.com regularly for updates.

For Athenry AC members, an organisational meeting will be held on Wednesday 30th, 8pm, Raheen Woods Hotel.

Will entries be open again ? Stephens day didnt suit me say with a family. wouldnt mind a 10km first week in 2010. Prob missed the boat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 questor282

Entries are not generally being opened again. We will have to see if/how many people decide to defer their entires to Christmas 2010 or ask for a refund. It MAY then give us a SMALL capacity to take a few entries. However you have to understand that for insurance purposes the maximum amount of people that can run this race is 1000. No decisions will be made until after 31st December when the already registered athletes have had a chance to state their preference. Keep an eye on www.athenryac.com where all decisions and details will be posted in due course.

The Fields of Athenry will now take place on Sunday 3rd January at 1:30pm.

Registration will be open from 12 noon in Presentation College Athenry.

In the event of inclement weather, we will have a course inspection at 10:30am.
    If the event is to be rescheduled, we will update the website, and issue texts to participants immediately.
    It will then be postponed a further 7 days to Sunday January 10th.

The kids race will take place at 12:30, runners should gather outside the Byne Mech factory.

We have to use a slighlty modified course that we used for the National 10km race a few years ago, we'll post a map of the course shortly.

A small number of entries will be available on the day on a first-come, first-served basis.

Unfortunately we've had to cancel our race once more. Foremost in our minds is the safety of our runners and the organising committee. The course is still very icy today and there is no significant thaw forecast between now and tomorrow.
    We have provisionally rescheduled the race for Sunday the 24th January at 01:30pm, weather and permitting issues allowing.
    Given the amount of ice of the roads around Athenry today and the lack of any improvement in the conditions it seems prudent to cancel at this stage in order to minimise any inconvenience for both organisers and participants.

As soon as we know more about the arrangements for the re-fixed race we'll post them here.

We hope to issue a text message later today giving information on this cancellation to all entrants who provided a contact number at the time of registration.

Bear with us. We're determined to stage this race at the soonest safe opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Foxx92

Heres hoping we get a thaw before the 24th!

Tomorrows the big day, finally after all the bad weather. Heres hoping we get a good day for it.
    I wonder if many people gave up and just took a refund?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Looking forward to it now, have a bit of a niggle from last weeks race but I wont pull out now so all going well the weather will be as good as today :)

Good luck to everyone

tunguska wrote: »
    Tomorrows the big day, finally after all the bad weather. Heres hoping we get a good day for it.

I've heard a few people have, but my main concern right now is that it will actually go ahead tomorrow. Woke up in Galway this morning to be greeted by our 'old friend' Jack Frost, and I head he's coming back again tonight with a vengence ! :mad:

Checked the forecast and its meant to be grand tomorrow. Although it'll definitely be cold tonight so hopefully the late kick off will ensure that any frost will have gone by 1:30pm.
    Really looking forward to this even though my time will be super crap due to a dodgy knee.

Checked the forecast and its meant to be grand tomorrow. Although it'll definitely be cold tonight so hopefully the late kick off will ensure that any frost will have gone by 1:30pm.
    Really looking forward to this even though my time will be super crap due to a dodgy knee.

Always good to get the excuses in early ;)

Speedy44 wrote: »
    Always good to get the excuses in early ;)

I wish it was just an excuse speedy:). Fell on the ice a couple of weeks ago and the right knee took a heavy hit. I probably shouldnt be doing this race tomorrow at all but that would be the sensible thing to do. And unfortunately when it comes to running all my sense goes out the window.

• Advertisement

Not too bad - most of the people who couldn't make it were locals who were only home for the Christmas, so they deferred their entries to next year.

This means we can take a few entrires on the day [first come, first served].
    Registrations open at 12.

I was out for a run this morning, but depsite the frost, things were fine.
    Hopefully it will all be right tomorrow morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Good luck everybody. Leave a few sandwiches (or whatever) for those of us at the tail end. :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

lol hope u got the sandwiches!!!!

Lovely day for it and a nice course. VERY well organised to hats off to everyone. Have to say I am REALLY getting to enjoy this running crack! (even though I am shi*TE :) )

Got a PB anyway (its only my 2nd 10km) but hey its going the right direction!! :)

Good man yop. Fair play on the improvement. As you said, a fantastic event and really well organised. Fair play to everyone in Athenry AC for a great event. Gary T was on fire! What a run!! :cool:

aburke, you must be very pleased with how the event with. Congrats to you and your team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

Once again, a lovely, lovely race.

It was the first race for one of my pals, she was very nervous beforehand but had a great time on the day. Great organisation and a lovely atmosphere. Congrats to all involved.

Yeah really enjoyed it. The knee went after 4k and had to really dig deep to finish. Got a crap time but have to say the T-shirt is great, I really like it. Cheers to Alan and the lads.

Yeah really enjoyed it. The knee went after 4k and had to really dig deep to finish. Got a crap time but have to say the T-shirt is great, I really like it. Cheers to Alan and the lads.

That doesn't say much for the rest of us poor buggers if you had a crap time and still managed a t-shirt! :D The t-shirts did look very nice. Just missed one by 2 places.....aaagggghhhhhhh :)

Seriously though, congrats on getting a top 50 if your knee went after 4k. Can't have been easy on some of those drags. Well done.

pgibbo wrote: »
    That doesn't say much for the rest of us poor buggers if you had a crap time and still managed a t-shirt! :D The t-shirts did look very nice. Just missed one by 2 places.....aaagggghhhhhhh :)

Seriously though, congrats on getting a top 50 if your knee went after 4k. Can't have been easy on some of those drags. Well done.

Cheers pgibbo, sorry didnt mean to be disrespectful to anybody else, crap time just for me personally, no reflection on anybody elses efforts.
    The good news is though, that you only have a mere 11 months to wait before you can challange again for a T-shirt:).

Cheers pgibbo, sorry didnt mean to be disrespectful to anybody else, crap time just for me personally, no reflection on anybody elses efforts.
    The good news is though, that you only have a mere 11 months to wait before you can challange again for a T-shirt:).

LOL.....no worries. I was only slagging. I know that like everything else, it's all relative to where you are at and what level you are at. Out of curiosity, what time did you run and what should/could you have run?

I had better start training now for 11 months time! :D

• Advertisement

pgibbo wrote: »
    LOL.....no worries. I was only slagging. I know that like everything else, it's all relative to where you are at and what level you are at. Out of curiosity, what time did you run and what should/could you have run?

I had better start training now for 11 months time! :D

I did 36:38. If this race had taken place on 26th dec as originally intended then I reckon I was good for a 34:10. Unfortunately a fall on the ice a few weeks ago did me in. Moral of the story is: Dont run in the snow, it aint worth it.

Advertisement