Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fields of Athenry 10km 2009

Options
  • 14-10-2009 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭

FOA2-resized.jpg
    It's that of the year again, when we at Athenry AC start gearing up for our annual 10km race. This race has grown in popularity over the years, as a mini running boom continues in the West of Ireland. We do our best to provide a top-quality race, that has something for all levels from International athletes to people taking on their first 10km race.
    Entry fee: €20
    Online entry is available here

Limited Entries.
    This year we have taken the decision to cap the entries at 1000 participants to ensure a safe, well-run race. This unfortunately means that on-the-day entries seem very unlikely. We'll try to keep you updated on www.athenryac.com as to how many entries we have to date, but you have been warned...

Chip timing.
    With the growth of entries in the race, certain tasks become more difficult. This year we have decided to engage the services of Red Tag timing to provide full chip timing. On the morning of the event, as well as you race number, you'll get a electronic chip to attach your shoe to record your time - Just don't run off after the race with it!

The Hat!
    Ah yes, the colour of the hat... Forget Lisbon - this is the decision that counts. Our now traditional race souvenir, a woolly hat, is coveted by runners up and down the country in the depths of winter [and indeed much of the summer too.] You'll be wearing this hat with pride for a number of years, so it may as well match your wardrobe.
    Vote here.

Looking forward to seeing you all on 26th December.

Regards
    Alan Burke
    Race Director.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

I was very impressed with the personalised email I got from Athenry AC this morning promoting this event. Very professional indeed. Congrats on that Alan. Love the hat picture too - JAL will be a household name before long! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 EvilHomer73

Seeing as how its only 10 mins from me It would be disgraceful if I didnt enter.

Been hearing good things about it, looking forward to it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

just signed up for it this morning, something different to look forward to at xmas , will be nice to get out and have some proper exercise the day after the turkey !

Just registered for this too. My OH is a Fit4Life attendee in Athenry and has pressured me in to this. Looking forward to it though as it will be my first ever 10k race. Hope I'm in better health than last year - was sick as pig on the couch - and not from over indulgence (was just sick - man flu I think it's called) :D

Hi Alan,
    I hear it's filling fast. Are there any issues with the Run Ireland site? A friend tried to register but was informed it was sold out. However I submitted 2 registration after I got his message. Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 EvilHomer73

that's me signed up as well now. Had that man flu as well last year pgiboo, wasn't fun!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭aburke

pgibbo wrote: »
    Hi Alan,
    I hear it's filling fast.
    Understatement ;-)
    Are there any issues with the Run Ireland site?
    Its not as fast as I'd like - but I'm never happy.
    [PS, I'm the server admin....]
    A friend tried to register but was informed it was sold out.
    Very odd. never heard that one before. Get them to contact me directly if they are still having issues.
    However I submitted 2 registration after I got his message. Cheers.
    Good Stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

Might put this one in my diary for next year :D
    Any excuse to head up drinking in Athenry really :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

I'm in. In fact I think I may have been the first in :D I alerted a few others to it as well.. looking forward to it already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

A race worth travelling for without doubt. I hope the treadmill guy is still going in the check-in place - the race was a piece of cake after watching him for a bit :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Tawfee

just signed up, it will take some discipline to be in any sort of fit state to attempt it though!

Tawfee wrote: »
    just signed up, it will take some discipline to be in any sort of fit state to attempt it though!

No better cure - a bracing run, good grub afterwards, grab a pint before lunch. And if staying over in Galway I recommend the Kashmir later on for a top Indian.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭gigantic09

Think i shall sign up as well.Even if it means turning my back on the real meaning of 'stephens day'-Fry up,paper,bookies,pub,nightclub.Plan to do 5k in westport the next day also so goin to hav to break with tradition.Father forgive me,i know not what i do.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

RoyMcC wrote: »
    I recommend the Kashmir later on for a top Indian.

+1

A race worth travelling for without doubt. I hope the treadmill guy is still going in the check-in place - the race was a piece of cake after watching him for a bit :pac:
    Roy - you have me baffled!
    Please explain :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,500 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Are you thinking of Longford in '08?

Are you thinking of Longford in '08?

Oh yes it was, sorry :o But Athenry's a great occasion even without a tready man.

Over 2/3 full with 700 entrants.
    Get your entry in now to avoid disappointment :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Foxx92

aburke wrote: »
    Over 2/3 full with 700 entrants.
    Get your entry in now to avoid disappointment :-)

Just signed up there. Looking forward to it, haven't had a race since Streets of Galway.

BTW less than 100 places left.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Lex Luther

gigantic09 wrote: »
    Think i shall sign up as well.Even if it means turning my back on the real meaning of 'stephens day'-Fry up,paper,bookies,pub,nightclub.Plan to do 5k in westport the next day also so goin to hav to break with tradition.Father forgive me,i know not what i do.

Hi completely off-topic but I hope Alan wont mind ...............i'm in Mayo for Christmas with in-laws do you know where I can get info, register for the Westport 5k you mention ????

• Advertisement

Lex Luther wrote: »
    Hi completely off-topic but I hope Alan wont mind ...............i'm in Mayo for Christmas with in-laws do you know where I can get info, register for the Westport 5k you mention ????
    its part of the mayo series so if its like all the rest of them you register on the day , race starts at 2pm , Contact: Michael (086) 853 4729 for more details , robbed info off athenry ac website ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Ok just signed up for the Athenry 10k. I must be mad going all the way to Galway on Stephens day to run a race. Although anything to avoid relatives at christmas.........
    Cant wait for this, those anthenry lads are decent runners.

We're full up!

We're full up!

Congrats on filling so early.

I figure I know the answer before asking Alan but will ask anyway.

Are you guys facilitating transfers or anything like that? I know a muppet that got plenty of notice about the race filling fast and was still surprised to find the event full when he went to register this weekend. I have no sympathy for him but figured there's no harm in asking if you guys do anything for muppets like him. Cheers.

Are you guys facilitating transfers or anything like that?
    No harm in asking...
    I have very little sympathy for muppets who get warnings :-).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

No harm in asking...
    I have very little smpathy for muppets who get warnings :-).

Class absolute class. Most lads think it. Would have loved too go but just too far up.
    Could brush up on the spelling though. Hope to see you in Ballycotton.

1000 people on dec 26th is amazing. Fair play.

Class absolute class. Most lads think it. Would have loved too go but just too far up.
    Could brush up on the spelling though. Hope to see you in Ballycotton.

1000 people on dec 26th is amazing. Fair play.
    Ballycotton is race 3 in March Madness, the focus of my winter training.
    http://www.athenryac.com/march-madness
    Next hurdle is securing an entry to that!

I understand that there's a race t-shirt for the first 50 people home. Looking at the list of entrants, I'm guessing 38mins or better to get a t-shirt. Would others agree? I won't be within an ass's (or is it asses) roar of that! :D

Also, what's the course record and will Gary T break it this year? Or are there any dark horses in the field?

I understand that there's a race t-shirt for the first 50 people home.
    Yes, a very nice long sleeve tech tee.
    Looking at the list of entrants, I'm guessing 38mins or better to get a t-shirt. Would others agree? I won't be within an ass's (or is it asses) roar of that! :D
    Hard to tell exactly, but there or thereabouts
    Also, what's the course record and will Gary T break it this year? Or are there any dark horses in the field?
    30:40 Set last year by GT AFAIK.
    He's in better form this year so will be hard to beat. Paul MacNamara, Emmet Dunleavy and Rory Cheser will keep him honest.

• Advertisement

Yes, a very nice long sleeve tech tee.

Hard to tell exactly, but there or thereabouts

30:40 Set last year by GT AFAIK.
    He's in better form this year so will be hard to beat. Paul MacNamara, Emmet Dunleavy and Rory Cheser will keep him honest.
    whos your bet for the ladies ? , couple of strong contestants there in the line up

Advertisement