Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another New Marathon in Kerry??Whos interested?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Wilbury

RobMarathonMan;
    Experience: Make your mistakes, learn from others, be a good listener.
    Enthusiasm: You seem to have that in abundance and it is probably the most important ingredient.
    Put a solid plan together, cover all contingencies (strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, threats) and surround yourself with good people to help you implement it and there is no reason why it wont work out.
    Remember, for every five things you try only one might work, but to find the one that works, you may have to do the five things. It may take a few attempts to make it perfect... so what! Go for it!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 RobMarathonMan

Putting my hands up here Rob. I haven't been very helpfull. Sorry. I know you came to boards with good intentions only. Good luck dude.

Your ok no worries:)Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭helpisontheway

I hear your permit was not granted Rob due to u18s not being eligible to apply for a permit.Also why did you ask for it on the same weekend as Ballycotton,seems a bad decision when 2500 people will already be running in that.
    Will you now be looking for a different date as the Munster road championships are on the week before and after therefore wont recieve a permit either on those days.
    I hear that once you sort out the problems re the permit a date will be considered that does not clash with any club events but i wouldnt be overly confident as there was strong opposition to the idea at the meeting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭rigal

^

Helpful as ever I see.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭baza1976

Does this need a permit????

If not don't apply.

Don't tell me there is not elitism (spelling)in this. From the off before you knew his age you have beedn against this.

Don't give up rob

• Advertisement

baza1976 wrote: »
    Does this need a permit????

If not don't apply.

Don't tell me there is not elitism (spelling)in this. From the off before you knew his age you have beedn against this.

Don't give up rob
    Where is the elitisim in there being a rule that you have to be 18 or over to be considered responsible enough to organise a race safely? Its an AAI rule,not mine!
    I have known his age from the start,thats why i was against it from the start along with him doing it solely to make a profit with no REAL interest in Athletics.
    People here are just happy to get a good road race if possible out of this guy but that doesnt necessarily mean that that good race is good for Irish Athletics as a whole.

rigal wrote: »
    ^

Helpful as ever I see.:rolleyes:
    Generally yes but not on this subject.Do i have to have a positive opinion on this?:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭thirtyfoot

Yeah, I agree not sure that elitism (whatever that is) has anything to do with this. Its seems to be the latest thing (well in this thread anyway), the whole anti-elitism thing. Down with elitism (whatever that is), down with humour, down with ageism, down with regulation, down with having an interest in this sport more than merely a road race thats in the face of it only going to benefit you the runner, down with maybe knowing more than meets the eye and been uncharacteristically vehementally against something as a result, down with all that God damn it.

Let them run through the National Park in Killarney, naked with the stags with the Reeks to their backs and the sh*t from the jaunting car's horses on their Kayanos.

I don't really care about this one way or the other other than this elitism craic but if the run does include being able to run naked with the stags with the Reeks to my back I might just click yes in the poll, permit or no permit.

Question for mods - seeing as elitism has become a dirty word here and yes I am aware its mentioned in the charter, but could we still have a special thread or even an elitism day where people could be free to be elitist and not suffer consequences. I think its quite elitist of the non-elitist to not allow us elitists to do our thing, I feel like a second class citizen. I have taken this too far and am even starting to annoy myself so I'll just log off now - tonights training session has taken more out of me (mentally) than I thought. Sorry :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Tingle wrote: »

Let them run through the National Park in Killarney, naked with the stags with the Reeks to their backs

Down with this sort of thing ! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭gaffo7

why is it bad to make a profit from organising a race? the only thing I think it is wrong to profit from is someone else's misfortune. Nobody is forced to enter races and if your doing so means some else makes a profit then so be it.
    How many of you would not take an opportunity to make a few bob if you spot an opportunity to do so.

If this race goes ahead and it is a disaster then it probably wont go ahead again, not saying that anyone's safety should ever be compromised for the sake of making a profit in a race but I dont thing that is really the issue here, op has stated that there will be over 18's on the race committee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

Don't apply for a permit- another unpermitted race, money-grabbing, death of irish athletics etc

Apply for a permit- denied because of fixture clash (fair enough) but strong opposition to giving one for any date?? Seems like you can't win.

I hear your permit was not granted Rob due to u18s not being eligible to apply for a permit.Also why did you ask for it on the same weekend as Ballycotton,seems a bad decision when 2500 people will already be running in that.
    Will you now be looking for a different date as the Munster road championships are on the week before and after therefore wont recieve a permit either on those days.
    I hear that once you sort out the problems re the permit a date will be considered that does not clash with any club events but i wouldnt be overly confident as there was strong opposition to the idea at the meeting.

Yes but the others members of the team are over 18 and can apply for it so thats not a problem.
    Regarding the clash with Ballycotton I only saw that yesterday and by then it was too late to change the date on the proposal/application.
    Their date was changed,I had planned for mine to be 2weeks after their original date,so no not a bad decision just an inconvience because of the date changing which they had to do because an AAI event was clashing with it because the AAI decided to change their own date.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

gaffo7 wrote: »
    why is it bad to make a profit from organising a race?

Because in Ireland races are only supposed to be for charity or keeping a running club going, apparently.

On a related note, you're only supposed to run a marathon if you collect for charity.

^^^
    If I got a euro every time I hear/read one of these points I'd be filthy rich by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Regarding the clash with Ballycotton I only saw that yesterday and by then it was too late to change the date on the proposal/application.
    Their date was changed,I had planned for mine to be 2weeks after their original date.

Will you try to have your race on the original Ballycotton date, then?

Will you try to have your race on the original Ballycotton date, then?

No cant do that because its clashing with the AAI National Senior & Junior Cross-Country Championships.
    Could go for the 14th but I will be in touch with the Kerry secretary and find out all the events fixed for the new year,then decide.

Yeah, I agree not sure that elitism (whatever that is) has anything to do with this. Its seems to be the latest thing (well in this thread anyway), the whole anti-elitism thing. Down with elitism (whatever that is), down with humour, down with ageism, down with regulation, down with having an interest in this sport more than merely a road race thats in the face of it only going to benefit you the runner, down with maybe knowing more than meets the eye and been uncharacteristically vehementally against something as a result, down with all that God damn it.

Are you ok??

Let them run through the National Park in Killarney, naked with the stags with the Reeks to their backs and the sh*t from the jaunting car's horses on their Kayanos.

I don't really care about this one way or the other other than this elitism craic but if the run does include being able to run naked with the stags with the Reeks to my back I might just click yes in the poll, permit or no permit.

Question for mods - seeing as elitism has become a dirty word here and yes I am aware its mentioned in the charter, but could we still have a special thread or even an elitism day where people could be free to be elitist and not suffer consequences. I think its quite elitist of the non-elitist to not allow us elitists to do our thing, I feel like a second class citizen. I have taken this too far and am even starting to annoy myself so I'll just log off now - tonights training session has taken more out of me (mentally) than I thought. Sorry :o

Why does everthing have to have a permit?? it's mentioned about money going back into the sport!!??!!
    A lot of people start out by first jogging , then maybe entering a local 10k, then maybe some more 5k or 10 k's then maybe joining a club.
    If you want to reverse this by making all runs/races AII permited. IMHO that will not help your cause, as you will have to be registered with a local club first before you can enter teh run/race.

I think the more races the merrier. I also think(a lot of thinking going on here!) that because there is so little races for the general public that is why the price of existing races is sky high in some cases. More races = more choices. If a race is Sh**E it won't last long, esp if there is more choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭thirtyfoot

Why does everthing have to have a permit?? it's mentioned about money going back into the sport!!??!!

Permits cost feck all and are the same whether you have 100 in your race or 10,000 in your race (I think?) so permits don't put money back into the sport.

Permits are about regulating and ensuring races are up to scratch. This is assuming the permit system works which based on what you read here seems to not be followed properly.
    If you want to reverse this by making all runs/races AII permited. IMHO that will not help your cause, as you will have to be registered with a local club first before you can enter teh run/race.

You don't have to be registered to run in a permit race.
    I think the more races the merrier. I also think(a lot of thinking going on here!) that because there is so little races for the general public that is why the price of existing races is sky high in some cases. More races = more choices. If a race is Sh**E it won't last long, esp if there is more choice.

There are a lot of races for the general public. A correctly functioning permit system would ensure these are well spaced out in a well organised racing calender. Anyone involved in race organisation probably would welcome a good permit system and if they didn't you would probably question their motives. Good permit system could mean top racers would be in the top races and this will benefit the race organisers. Its not a bad thing and far from a money making exercise.

More races = more sh*te in my opinion as less quality as regards to race fields, organising resources etc etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

No cant do that because its clashing with the AAI National Senior & Junior Cross-Country Championships.
    Could go for the 14th but I will be in touch with the Kerry secretary and find out all the events fixed for the new year,then decide.

But these surely wouldn't be who this race is aimed at?

Woddle wrote: »

Yes but see if its clashing with any AAI events then the permit is hard to get.Also less time to organise the event etc but I will see what date can be settled on.

Permits cost feck all and are the same whether you have 100 in your race or 10,000 in your race (I think?) so permits don't put money back into the sport.

Permits are about regulating and ensuring races are up to scratch. This is assuming the permit system works which based on what you read here seems to not be followed properly.

You don't have to be registered to run in a permit race.

There was a cross country race on in Limerick there a couple of weeks ago and I aske the question could I just turn up and run it. I was told I'd have to be registered with a club and even if I was registered with Boards AC I still might not be left complete:confused: Check my posts it's there.

There are a lot of races for the general public. A correctly functioning permit system would ensure these are well spaced out in a well organised racing calender. Anyone involved in race organisation probably would welcome a good permit system and if they didn't you would probably question their motives. Good permit system could mean top racers would be in the top races and this will benefit the race organisers. Its not a bad thing and far from a money making exercise.

I can tell you in the Limerick/north Tipp/Clare region races from 5K and up are very far and few between. I've mentioned that here so many times I'm surprised someone on here hasn't got a brainwave for making money. I would love to have a race every 2nd week like they have in Dublin, Galway and Cork and other counties.

More races = more sh*te in my opinion as less quality as regards to race fields, organising resources etc etc.

Well if they are sh**e they won't last long. I'd prefer to waste a €10 on a sh**e race than not race at all.
    I'm not too worried about the quality of runners!! Why do I want to race against a guy who can run a 10k in 32 min when I can only dream of a 40min 10K??? I'd much prefer to have a battle with similar guy/gal as me all the way to the line.

Edit: Just to add I don't mind if a race is AAI approved or not jsut as long as 1) I can enter it and 2) there are plenty or races

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭mithril

What's the purpose of a permit?
    Does it just confirm that there is not a clash with a prior AAI fixture or does it add additional value from a quality assurance point of view e.g. that a adequate safety plan is in place, road closures where appropriate have been applied for, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭aburke

baza1796 wrote:
    There was a cross country race on in Limerick there a couple of weeks ago and I aske the question could I just turn up and run it. I was told I'd have to be registered with a club and even if I was registered with Boards AC I still might not be left complete Check my posts it's there.
    XC is a bit different - County level XC events are only open to AAI members from that county[same applies to provincial], though I thought guests from other AAI clubs might be permitted if there was room.
    Boards AC is registered as a Dublin Club [AFAIK], so you can only compete as an AAI member in Dublin or Leinster events.
    Most road races are open to non-AAI members, though you might not be eligible for some prizes.

I'd prefer to waste a €10 on a sh**e race than not race at all.
    This baffles me.
    We heard constant demands for value for money, and cheaper races, but you appear to buck the trend here!

aburke wrote: »
    This baffles me.
    We heard constant demands for value for money, and cheaper races, but you appear to buck the trend here!

What i mean is I'd prefer to spend €10 on a race that turns out to be sh**e. obivously if i knew the race was sh##e before hand I would not waste my money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

well what started out was a question of interest - has managed to raise many different debates about elitism, permits, race profiteering, race organisers capabilities, competence etc etc within races and running.

Whatever happens with the run whether it’s gets the go ahead or not whether its a success or a disaster you are always going to have people complaining.

Look at the Race Series in the phoneix park - probably one of the cheapest races to enter 20 quid for a half marathon and you had people whining about the prizemoney given to the winners - even when the winner came on to defend the race and highlighted the prize was not a motivating factor.

Woddle wrote: »
    Almost missed this comment.
    The English Cross Country senior mens race is the target for damm near every club runner of any standard. One of my clubmates almost goes into a trance when he speaks of it.
    It is the definition of a mass participation, anybody-can run event.
    Don't believe me?
    http://www.englishcrosscountry.co.uk/
    Check out last year's results - 28 pages!
    From 38 mins to 1 hr 30.
    1455 finishers..
    And that's just the men!
    http://www.englishcrosscountry.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=39&Itemid=48
    546 finishers in the womens too.

For whatever reason, there is some attitude amoung many runners in Ireland, that they don't belong at this event*.
    This couldn't be further from the truth - The AAI would be delighted if that sort of crowd would take part.

It might be a topic for a different thread - but basically the Senior XC is for everybody.
    If you're fit enough to take on a half-marathon or marathon, you're fit enough to represent your club at Senior XC.

Alan
    * Had this attitude for a while myself...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Not bothered reading through this whole thread but to answer the original question, YES, I would be interested in such an event, if there are no horrid hills. Too many Irish marathons are extremely hilly. Though I cant see it being pan flat if its taking place right by the Reeks :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Good post aburke I didn't realise it was that popular, my awareness of these races is pretty crap and I was thinking it was similar to the Dublin novice were they had 160 men and women in the race and the standard was paticularly high, in the mens race I reckon if you aren't sub 20 for 5k on the roads you shouldn't be in the race, I don't really mean shouldn't but you should be aware that you'll probably last or close to which again leads us to another thread.

Advertisement