Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another New Marathon in Kerry??Whos interested?

Options
  • 14-10-2009 11:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

Hi everyone

I am in the process of organising a marathon event consisting of a half and full marathon in Killarney National Park for the most part.
    I have got the ful go ahead but have got a bag of mixed reactions.
    Do ye think that there is "room" for another marathon is Kerry??
    I certainly seem to think so,why not like?
    So the questions is that if i was to go full on ahead with this would all you runners be interested??

Many Thanks

Are you interested in a marathon event held in Killarney National Park? 40 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 40 votes
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭ekevosu

when were you thinking of holding it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

When would be very important I would think. Would be a beautiful place to race. Hilly? I'm going to hold off on voting until I know these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

If it's well run and a reasonable price then there's always room for another marathon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 RobMarathonMan

I was thinking of holding it either May 15th or June 26th?
    What would be your opinions on that?

And the full marathon route would certainly be more challenging than the half.The half is flat but the full would have a hill or two,however nothing bigger than seen in previous marathons E.g. Connemarathon and Dingle

And yes reasonable price I agree but first year costs are always highest.the expenses are actually huge you know,however in saying that i wont be charging more than the Dublin,Connemarathon,Cork or Dingle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

I'd say it was a great idea, beautiful part of the world, it would be a magical marathon. If it was well run, with a low (<€25) entry fee, it could build a yearly following from there.

Thanks for your advice.the only thing is that dingle is charging 60euro,i was thinking something along the lines of €50 for the half and €60 for the full.i wouldnt like to be seen in the shadow of the dingle marathon you know.i would have to judge expenses carefully.from what i have been told by race directors is that they were always happy with charging what they did because there are so many unforeseen expenses.thanks for your input by the way.much appreciated:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭scottreynolds

Would it be on trail on or road..... Ireland sadly lacks trail marathons.

Thanks for your advice.the only thing is that dingle is charging 60euro,i was thinking something along the lines of €50 for the half and €60 for the full.i wouldnt like to be seen in the shadow of the dingle marathon you know.i would have to judge expenses carefully.from what i have been told by race directors is that they were always happy with charging what they did because there are so many unforeseen expenses.thanks for your input by the way.much appreciated:)

From my experience, the price of entry never correlates with how well a race is run. Get a few clubs involved, volunteers interested, and right there, you are on the way to a well-organized race. Clubs tend to be happy to help out, and get runners out, if the proceeds are going back into the sport.

There's also a market for race directors running races as a business, these are the type of races personally I avoid, but best of luck to you if this is your motive.

This route has all different kinds of terrains.The full route has trails in it for a good part of it.The marathon would start on road,then enter the national park and as you go deeper in the more varying terrain you will come across.I think the route appeals to every type of runner you know,it has everything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Rebelrunner

Sorry to be negative but with either or those dates you exclude any competitors of the Cork marathon as its too close to run both. Thats my 2 cents anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭ekevosu

Not clashing with any but would be close enough to Cork which I'd imagine would get a lot of your crowd. Are you planning a similar relay scheme to boost numbers?

Connemara International Marathon 11th April 2010

Ballyhoura Mountain Marathon 2nd May 2009

Belfast City Marathon 3rd May 2010

Clare Burren Marathon Challenge 23rd May 2009

Newry City Marathon 31st May 2010

Cork City Marathon 7th June 2010?

Longford Marathon 29th August 2010?

mooathon 27th September 2009

Dingle Marathon 4th September 2010

Addidas Dublin Marathon 26th October 2009

Am I missing any Irish marathons here?

Killarney would be a fantastic place to have it. Are you talking along the molls gap to national park road or where? Will you have a time limit on the marathon as I'd imagine you couldn't keep the tourists / locals off the roads for that long?

No this isnt my soul motive.I am only talking about the costs and entry fee so a loss wouldnt be made.i will have associated charities which i have already contacted and made aware of the event as well as if all goes well i would donate to A.A.I.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Hi Rob,

I'm assuming that you are new to Boards. Each forum has "Moderators" assigned who's responsibility it is to keep the place tidy, spam and abuse free and so on. I'm one of teh three Mods in this particular forum.

It would have been preferable if you had got in touch with one of us in advance of posting this as generally speaking we don't encourage this sort of thread.

The reasons for not allowing these threads are pretty simple - there are thousands of races up and down the country and if we allowed every race director to use us for market research then the forum would have very little else in it.

We also cannot tolerate either spam or "shilling", where people either blatantly advertise or do it more subtly, adversing under the guise of being unconnected to a company or as part of a research thread.

I'm going to leave this open for now but if I get complaints from readers that this is slipping into advertising or if there are many more "the route appeals to every type of runner you know,it has everything" posts that come across as simply hyping the event then I will close this down and delete it.

Should you wish to discuss advertising then please feel free to contact Hello@boards.ie and they will be happy to sort you out.

http://imra.ie/events/view/id/585/ (link is to 2009 event), held in April every year, a smidge over marathon distance, a hefty €7 entry fee. You can slip by me when I'm chasing my map around an erratic boulder;)

Clare Burren Marathon is also a mix of on and off road, looks excellent as well.

Clare Burren Marathon is also a mix of on and off road, looks excellent as well.

The "winner" of this last year recommended it to me for 2010, he speaks really highly of the course- however!- it is more geared towards walkers, ie., no prizes etc for 1st,2nd,3rd, etc.

Hi Moderator

Very sorry and yes I am completely new to this.Didnt know the regulations and i will be sure to keep to your guidelines.Thanks for the warning

The "winner" of this last year recommended it to me for 2010, he speaks really highly of the course- however!- it is more geared towards walkers, ie., no prizes etc for 1st,2nd,3rd, etc.

I had heard that alright, it's organised by a walking club and I think that they actually recommended against running it in the 1st year as they didn't think the terrain was suitable (they obviously reckoned without IMRA heads!). Personally I wouldn't worry about a lack of prizes as long as the event is well marshalled and safe and teh entry fee is reasonable. I think this one was €40 last year and that covered:

* Parking
    * Race entry
    * Water, refreshments and aid stations along the routes
    * Finishers T–shirt
    * Finishers medal
    * Finishers certificate
    * Soup and a roll served after you finish your challenge in Logue’s Lodge.

So that's probably the benchmark for any future trail event in terms of pricing and support.

[edit] any idea of teh winning time?

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭mithril

My take for what its worth. Try and have it in February before any of the existing ones.
    The weather, particularly in the south-west, is mild enough so that it will not be very cold at that time of year and anyway runners tend to be a hardy enough lot.
    There is demand for an earlier marathon than offered at present in this country and this will avoid a clash with competitive events in the region.

• Advertisement

[edit] any idea of teh winning time?

Think around 3:16. He's going for something like 2:40 or under in NY in Nov.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭baza1976

I would have thought Dec, Jan or feb would have been the months to have another marathon.

And none of this registering/collecting numbers the day or two before hand adding extra expense in the current economic climate!!!! post them out or have it on the morning of the run.
    It's a pain spending x amount of money to enter a race and then more money on B&Bs etc. I jsut want to pay my entry run the marathon collect my t-shirt and medal then go home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭rigal

mithril wrote: »
    My take for what its worth. Try and have it in February before any of the existing ones.
    The weather, particularly in the south-west, is mild enough so that it will not be very cold at that time of year and anyway runners tend to be a hardy enough lot.
    There is demand for an earlier marathon than offered at present in this country and this will avoid a clash with competitive events in the region.

+1 on this. I think there's definitely a gap in the calendar for a long distance race in January, February or March. I know a lot of people don't like to train during the winter but a huge amount of people train all year round.

Best of luck with the organising.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I'd also be of the having it during the "winter" months opinion, running a marathon in June/ July is not a good idea. Cork was enough trouble this year with only doing a couple of legs of the relay, I'd not be interested in doing the full distance.

Do you think it would be possible to stage it in March and have enough time to get in enough entrants?or would it be the best thing to just go for 15th of May/26th of June and then put the marathon forward the next year after support is gained(fingers crossed:))

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Personally I wouldn't worry about a lack of prizes as long as the event is well marshalled and safe and teh entry fee is reasonable.

I heard that the 2008 version had the leading marathoners take a wrong turn and go about 2km the wrong dirction before having to double back.
    The reason apparently was the assigned marshall hadn't expected them to be there at that time and therefore hadn't arrived himself at the junction.
    I hope it was much better this year!?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭rigal

Do you think it would be possible to stage it in March and have enough time to get in enough entrants?or would it be the best thing to just go for 15th of May/26th of June and then put the marathon forward the next year after support is gained(fingers crossed:))

It depends how many entrants you are expecting to get and what kind of advertising you intend to do?

I think March is enough time, certainly for the half anyway. Even February would be ok assuming you have the time to get things moving quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

I think personally Feb would be the best.
    Might serve as a useful training run for Conne ultra in April.

Placing it later in the year might mean it'd get caught up in the middle of the other marathons.

Perhaps a thought might be to place it after DCM next year?
    There's been many people saying their training for it this year took a few weeks battering and that they'd prefer to do a marathon a few weeks later because they're not 100% ready for DCM.
    Just a thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Reaganomical

I ran the Burren Half this year, would 100% recommend it. Completely different to every other race I've done.

Yes, there are no prizes for the top finishers but it's hardly a complaint, given that it is organised by the walking club in Ballyvaughan.

The vast majority of people walked the course, some were finishing the marathon walk after 7/8 hours and they were still getting welcomed home by a very enthusiastic M.C.

The terrain is pretty wild, first couple of miles on road, before going off road and up hills, across limestone fields, down sharp descents, before running the last couple of miles back into the village. You know you're in for a challenge when the race briefing material refers to running along exposed cliff ledges...

Great finishers medal and t-shirt, and as already mentioned, a cup of soup and bread rolls waiting at the end.

Definitely doing this again next year if at all possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

mithril wrote: »
    +1 on this also. evrybody seems to have to wait around between DCM (late Oct) and Conn (April) for a marathon. those who miss out on Dublin for whatever reason, dont have to wait as long taht way

Advertisement