Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

AUDI A5 Sportback

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Seriously, there's no difference between those two pictures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

GigaByte wrote: »
    :eek: Should have gone to spec savers! :D

Eh no...

Does look very droopy in the middle though. Had never noticed that before. About 5 years too late to be a sucess here

EDIT

Specsavers 112 Grafton St, Dublin - 01 6776969

You're not even comparing the same car now:rolleyes:

Maybe get a cab to spec savers. Dont want you falling over and hurting yourself on the way;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭MarkN

A5-sportback-comparison.jpg

Specsavers 112 Grafton St, Dublin - 01 6776969

Eh why are you posting a picture of an A5 coupe when everyone else is comparing the two pictures on the previous page?

Seriously, let it go and let us talk about cars yeh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭plissken

MarkN wrote: »
    Eh why are you posting a picture of an A5 coupe when everyone else is comparing the two pictures on the previous page?

Seriously, let it go and let us talk about cars yeh?

He is right though, the first pic is a photoshop based on a simple stretch of a photo of an A5 coupe, the clue is in the rear fanlight beside the C pillar, its completely different between both pictures.

I have to agree that even regardless of the price difference, the Passat CC is a much nicer coupe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

plissken wrote: »
    He is right though, the first pic is a photo shop based on simply stretching out an existing photo of an A5, the clue is in the rear fanlight beside the C pillar, its completely different between both pictures.

I'm off to spec savers!:D

Apologies GigaByte:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,673 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

unkel wrote: »
    I'm not a betting man. If I were, I'd put my money on R.O.R :D

:D

Sure, what the funk does -Chris- know about Audi's anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

R.O.R wrote: »
    :D

Sure, what the funk does -Chris- know about Audi's anyway?

Banned! :P:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭GigaByte

EPM wrote: »
    I'm off to spec savers!:D

Apologies GigaByte:o

lol, no problem! It's the one part of the car that I think would make the A5 coupe look nicer.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭SomeDude

It's an odd looking car. It looks like bits and bobs just bolted together - It just doesn't seem to flow properly. The A4 and A5 coupé are nicer looking imo.

It seems to have received mostly negative reviews from what I've read.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

Dynamically reviews havent been great alright. Ill leave at this when I say its better looking in the metal.

Car is being unveiled across dealerships from tomorrow onwards. Go make up your own mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,266 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

IF its anything like the A5 coupe to drive, it will be a pig. I would advise the OP to get a quattro version with the (possibly standard now) servo steer option. Has this the same track width as the A5 coupe? I think the handling problems Ive been experiencing with my A5 are coming from a number of design problems which possibly Audi are sorting over time on newer versions but the principle issues I see are:

Chassis/suspension not upto putting all the power through the front wheels and as such I feel that Audi designed this chassis around the quattro system and havent put any effort into the lesser models. I get wheel tramp & all sorts of crap at only moderate power delivery.
    Additionally, The car feels like it i running on totally wrong offset wheels even though they are genuine A5 wheels. I think possibly the suspension is a bit too similar to the A4 and I think the A5 has a wider track. Have they taken the easy way out and shared a few too many components, it certainly feels like that. Definitey, the A5 needs wheels with very different offset than many of the other VAG cars. They are possibly creating too much of the track running width within the wheel itself causing the awkward steering feel (Possibly). I must look up the S5 details as Ive a feeling that its running with a proper setup not relying on the wheel rim to create the suitable width.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭SomeDude

RedorDead wrote: »
    Dynamically reviews havent been great alright. Ill leave at this when I say its better looking in the metal.

Car is being unveiled across dealerships from tomorrow onwards. Go make up your own mind.

I saw it in Park Motors in the metal. My opinion hasn't changed - something still odd looking about it.

It was just described to me, from someone standing next to one, as a stretched Citroen C5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Thats highly insulting................to the Citroen.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

It looks pretty dreadful in the pics attached in the thread here, like others have said it looks like it's sagging in the middle, but the pic on the parkers website linked above actually looks really good.

edit: pic

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

TheBazman wrote: »
    Which model are you testing and what is the pricing? The reviews I have read are mixed particularly on the ride quality.

2.0TDI 170HP €45.5k (list)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Anyone else think is looks very very like the Peugeot 407???

Its quite bland imo

AU005419.jpg

Peugeot-407-0001.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 sid3

Went to look at one today. Much better looking in the flesh. Really like a classier A4. Decent back seats, boot was great. Looks good from the back.Yeah very nice car. Not as flashy looking as the coupe which might be a good thing these days! Going to test drive it next week. A few pics attached from camera phone will give an idea....

I'm looking forward to seeing it in the flesh, the A5 Coupe looks pretty imposing to me, and I think this'll be the same.

Certain angles of the rear "haunches" make me think of a BMW X6 that's lost weight (another love-it-or-hate-it car).

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

I like it. But they should of named it the A4 hatchback.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

kikel wrote: »
    I like it. But they should of named it the A4 hatchback.

Why - when everything about it is lifted from the A5?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

RedorDead wrote: »
    Why - when everything about it is lifted from the A5?

They should've named that the A4 coupé.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Looking forward to my test drive on Sat of this super looking car. New pricing is very attractive too!

Any driver feedback from anyone?

Is it possible to stay on topic, I mean can the 'non driver related negativity' (shape, model lookalikes, brand etc etc be posted elsewhere?

Although this car is very new in Ireland, I was hoping that there might be some experience from UK/elsewhere?

It goes without saying, but I'll say it again, if I like the shape, I'm very interested in the brand/model and that's why I'm doing a test drive.

Tks for the few relevant posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

Is it possible to stay on topic, I mean can the 'non driver related negativity' (shape, model lookalikes, brand etc etc be posted elsewhere?

Although this car is very new in Ireland, I was hoping that there might be some experience from UK/elsewhere?

It goes without saying, but I'll say it again, if I like the shape, I'm very interested in the brand/model and that's why I'm doing a test drive.

Tks for the few relevant posts.

Will our opinions make a difference to you? MickDW has already given a fairly damning indictment of the A5 ride quality and handling, not just in this thread but since he bought the car, also a lot of the reviews seem to be in agreement, it stands to reason since this is an A5 too that unless there have been some dramatic chassis and handling modifications for this incarnation of the A5, it's going to suffer from the same woes too unless it's the quattro version. I would not buy a car if it drove terribly, no matter how much I liked it cosmetically.

It sounds like you don't want to hear anything negative about the car, and will purchase it regardless of the drive if you like the look of it, particularly if you are a life long VAG fan too who has progressed up through the ranks of Golf > Passat > A4, nothing we say will prevent you from buying it.

And Mick's comments need to be balanced against the customers I sold A5s to who had no issues with their handling and the A5s I drove that I thought drove fine (except the traction control is a bit kack-handed, but I find that with all VAGs).

I don't want to drag this into a "he said, she said" thread though, the only thing I'd say about buying a car is that you should drive it yourself and if you're happy with it, the it doesn't matter a damn what other people thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,266 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

-Chris- wrote: »
    And Mick's comments need to be balanced against the customers I sold A5s to who had no issues with their handling and the A5s I drove that I thought drove fine (except the traction control is a bit kack-handed, but I find that with all VAGs).

I don't want to drag this into a "he said, she said" thread though, the only thing I'd say about buying a car is that you should drive it yourself and if you're happy with it, the it doesn't matter a damn what other people thing!

Yes he should drive it himself and make up his mind however as Ive said before, if he is thinking of buying it, it would be a great idea to insist on a 3 day test drive. The reason I suggest this is when I contacted the audi warranty guys about my concerns, they trotted out the usual characteristic of the car stuff and he told me I should have had a 3 day test drive if I was that concerned about how my new car was going to drive! I dont know what the dealers would think of all the customers coming in looking to take the cars away for the weekend. Thats Audi Irelands suggestion though.
    In relation to some people finding it fine to drive, I dont doubt that. Cars that do mainly motorway driving or city driving wouldnt be too much of a problem. It just that it handles uneven roads worse than any other car Ive ever experienced. Even cars with same or bigger tyres. (Ive driven 5 or 6 A5s now to compare and all the same but to varying degrees)I do drive it fairly hard although the way it goes down the road limits that a fair bit and I do come home rather annoyed usually and with sore arms after 1 hour+ journeys. If the OP lives in a country area, be sure to take the car to the roads you will be using it on and drive it for a reasonable length on those roads. Its great on flat smooth surfaces although at times can move around as if it windy when its perfectly calm.
    Also, My car has needed repairs to drivers seat back due to partial collapse and also a new ignition switch fitted due to fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

Not to rain on the parade BUT I think the A5 is a cracking car looks wise and that they have well and truly butchered it with the sportback.

I personally see very little reason to consider it over say an A6.

I like the R8 but until I move to the UK it can remain aspirational!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭buzzard

Put it like this, I have gone to the pub, drank 12 pints and brought home Cindy Crawford, woke up the next morning and chewwed my arm off. The A5 sportback is an A4 with Arse

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

The Guvnor wrote: »
    Not to rain on the parade BUT I think the A5 is a cracking car looks wise and that they have well and truly butchered it with the sportback.

I personally see very little reason to consider it over say an A6.

No comparison with an A5, so don't see why they used the name at all - should have said A4. It'd be like Porsche calling their new 4-door the 911 Sportback. Completely arse-about marketing dept imho.

When I saw it about a month ago, it reminded me of my 1985 Mazda 626...I happen to think there is a market for a big hatch, actually.

650713410_cpLrU-M.jpg

I like the R8 but until I move to the UK it can remain aspirational!:D
    ...oh yeah........about that...... :)

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement

I popped in to my local Audi dealer on the way home last night to have a look, and it does look much better in the flesh, but I'm still not taken with it.

It's not the 4 door coupe that the CLS or Passat CC is. It's a 5 door hatchback.

Audi haven't even gone to the trouble of making it a true 4 seater. The bench in the rear looks just like most 5 seat cars, without a lap belt for the middle.

Not such a bad looking car, but poor value for money when compared to the larger A6, or marginally smaller A4. The 2 that this dealer had were both 2.0Tdi 143bhp SE multitronics - both with nice upgraded wheels.

Advertisement