Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

AUDI A5 Sportback

Options
  • 13-10-2009 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭

Looking forward to my test drive on Sat of this super looking car. New pricing is very attractive too!

Any driver feedback from anyone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

Which model are you testing and what is the pricing? The reviews I have read are mixed particularly on the ride quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Bass player in my band has one ordered, should be arriving soon. I can't wait to drive it. Let us know how it goes OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,673 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Not sure if they have even made it to the dealers yet. I was up in Belgard today and they didn't have one in the showroom. Wouldn't surprise me if the first lot only landed on the boat on Friday.

Not sure a hatchback A4 is worth the few thousand premium over the saloon (as that's all it really is). Have the pricing in work and I think the difference is around €3,000 - €4,000

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

They do look much better than the A4, but definitely not as good as the standard A5 coupe

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Reviews I read were over-whelmingly negative, primarily about the ride. I also think there's a bit of fatigue setting in amonsts journos regarding the multi-layered web of niche models the Germans produce these days.

Is the ride different to the stanard A4? I think they have made it harder to fit in with the sporty image. If that's bad on UK roads it'll be a disaster on ours. I'd have an A4 with Quattro for similar money in preference.

Actually an A5 Sportback with Quattro and the 170bhp engine would - on paper - suit my performance and practical needs to a tee. Would find it a very hard car to get enthusiastic about though:(...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Probably have a few "hate posts" following this, but I don't care. I think the Passat CC looks a lot better than this. The CC might be a bit overpriced, but this is a lot over priced. And by reports, too firm, whereas the Passat would probably be a better cruiser. Still, 4 rings on the nose does a lot for people in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Biro wrote: »
    Probably have a few "hate posts" following this, but I don't care. I think the Passat CC looks a lot better than this. The CC might be a bit overpriced, but this is a lot over priced. And by reports, too firm, whereas the Passat would probably be a better cruiser. Still, 4 rings on the nose does a lot for people in Ireland.

+1. CC gives an arguably better car for Irish conditions than the A5. I like the idea but the reviews I have read on the car have been far from complementary. Torque steer and poor ride quality mentioned in all bar the quattro reviews.

A4 2.0Tdi 170bhp SE = €40,900
    A4 Avant 2.0Tdi 170bhp SE = €43,300
    A5 Sportback 2.0Tdi 170bhp SE = €44,450

Over 3 1/2 grand more for a hatch over a saloon, and more expensive than the more practical A4 Avant. Think it definately a niche vehicle and we won't see too many of them on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

Its not an A4 or based on any A4. Its an A5 through and through. Front to A pillar is taken straight from the Coupe and for A pillar back the underpinnings are actually taken from the A5 Cabriolet.

RedorDead wrote: »
    Its not an A4 or based on any A4. Its an A5 through and through. Front to A pillar is taken straight from the Coupe and for A pillar back the underpinnings are actually taken from the A5 Cabriolet.

You can dress it up in all the marketing speak you want :D, but there are not massive differences in the front of an A4 and any A5, the interior is the same layout and I wouldn't have a clue what the difference is between the underpinnings of an A4 and an A5.

• Advertisement

Admittedly from wiki but:

The new A5 and B8 A4 were based on the Audi MLP platform (Modular Longitudinal Platform) which is planned to underpin the next generation A6 and A8

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

Its lower, wider and longer than an A4 or A4 Avant. Admittedly its built on a similar interpretation of that platform (MLP as is Q5) but its just lazy to label it as an A4.

Its lower, wider and longer than an A4 or A4 Avant. Admittedly its built on a similar interpretation of that platform (MLP as is Q5) but its just lazy to label it as an A4.

Thats majority of that is just metal work differences really. Otherwise, it really is A4 based - reduces development costs. You could say similar things about an E90 compared to an E92 really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

its just lazy to label it as an A4.

Whereas I think it's a bit crazy that Audi have a medium sized saloon, hatch, coupé and estate and insist on splitting them into two models.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭GigaByte

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

I haven't seen it in the flesh, but a mate who has says it's very, very good looking and will take a lot of sales from the 5-Series...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭kuro_man

spad_audia5sportback.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

I presume this is the machine we're all talking about?

audia5sportbacklarson.jpg

I personally dont like it. I think it looks like an old lump of wood thats started to sag in the middle. I think its the line that runs from the front arch to the rear that causes this, but I think it looks ready to split in half!

I also think its pointless - give me a nice A4 with a bit of spec all day long please and thank you. Even the Passat CC is less pointless, and better looking than this monstrosity!

This is the type of car that would have sold in thousands a few years ago, but I cant see people forking out over the odds money for a car thats not practical, ugly, and doubtless will go through clutches and flywheels like its two sisters - the A4 and A6.

I presume this is the machine we're all talking about?

audia5sportbacklarson.jpg

I personally dont like it. I think it looks like an old lump of wood thats started to sag in the middle. I think its the line that runs from the front arch to the rear that causes this, but I think it looks ready to split in half!

I also think its pointless - give me a nice A4 with a bit of spec all day long please and thank you. Even the Passat CC is less pointless, and better looking than this monstrosity!

This is the type of car that would have sold in thousands a few years ago, but I cant see people forking out over the odds money for a car thats not practical, ugly, and doubtless will go through clutches and flywheels like its two sisters - the A4 and A6.

Thats not it, thats an old photoshop! How could you not manage to find a correct picture but managed to pick an old photoshoped one?

audi_a5_sportback_2.jpg

GigaByte wrote: »
    Thats not it, thats an old photoshop! How could you not manage to find a correct picture but managed to pick an old photoshoped one?

To be honest, both those pics look like the same car taken from different angles. There is no difference between them. And if any one of them looks photoshopped it's the second one

• Advertisement

EPM wrote: »
    And if any one of them looks photoshopped it's the second one

Why? There's even what looks like a wing on the back of the first one! :D

Audi-A5-Sportback-car-wallpaper.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Yup - can't see a difference between the two.

There's been a billboard with a nice pic opposite where I get my DART - but the new pics I've seen this morning are disappointing tbh.

Why? There's even what looks like a wing on the back of the first one! :D

Angle of the shot I'm afraid. Same car

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Either picture still makes me think that the car is drooping in the middle.

Much like the prospective owners I suppose. :D

EPM wrote: »
    Angle of the shot I'm afraid. Same car

:eek: Should have gone to spec savers! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭MarkN

Every single line of the car is the same as the first Audi picture posted?

I think it's you that needs to get your eyes tested? :confused:

MarkN wrote: »
    :confused:

Even with a close up you can't see the difference!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭MarkN

Even with a close up you can't see the difference!

It's the same boot lip spoiler it's just from a different angle.

OP I hope there's more room for legs in the back than in the coupe - I'm sure there is but I just remember even compared to the BMW coupe that the leg room in the A5 was non existent.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,835 ✭✭✭✭unkel

R.O.R wrote: »
    Think it definately a niche vehicle and we won't see too many of them on the road.
    -Chris- wrote: »
    will take a lot of sales from the 5-Series...

I'm not a betting man. If I were, I'd put my money on R.O.R :D

• Advertisement

MarkN wrote: »
    It's the same boot lip spoiler it's just from a different angle.

A5-sportback-comparison.jpg

Specsavers 112 Grafton St, Dublin - 01 6776969

Advertisement