Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Knock Apparition

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I wouldn't put a boards post down to a sane account.
    I know the point you are trying to make (that this is the ol unreliable internet) but be careful how you put it across. People post here in good faith.

Link to the Irish Times article.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Thornography

Oryx wrote: »
    but be careful how you put it across.

I will Oryx, Apologies to any offense caused, I didn't mean it like that.

Cheers for the article, gona give it a good read now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Arion24

blue42 wrote: »
    to the believer no proof is necessary....to the sceptic no proof will ever be enough!
    Yup and if both parties respected the others thoughts without belittlement the world would be less irritating.

Arion24 wrote: »
    Yup and if both parties respected the others thoughts without belittlement the world would be less irritating.

Then we would all be sheep.

Facepalm for your attitude.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,545 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if you were a supreme being of unlimited power and ability, why the hell would you stoop to such low-rent theatrics to maintain faith in yourself?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Stick to the topic in hand, guys.

Cheers and thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭gdael

several Days after the "predicted" event and not one photo.
    You can even find thousands of pictures of a bus crash within an hour of it happening, and yet not one of such an event.

I call bull****.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭xyz1

My father was at this, he is a deeply religous person.

He said he couldnt believe it when everyone started clapping, he didnt know what was happening, as word spread around he looked at the sky/sun. He said it was nothing he hadnt seen a million times in his life - a beautiful sun. There was no dancing, no amazing lights. It was jsut the sky and the sun. People were blowing everything out of porportion.

People just seemed to have gotten carried away by the whole thing. He left very disappointed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Noreen1

gdael wrote: »
    several Days after the "predicted" event and not one photo.
    You can even find thousands of pictures of a bus crash within an hour of it happening, and yet not one of such an event.

I call bull****.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055698796&page=3

Taken from a mobile phone, post 38.

Noreen

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Noreen1

I suggest you read the posts in the link I posted. You will find that I neither posted the photos, nor claim to know the person who posted them - or anyone else who was at Knock that day. Neither have I ever said anything other than that I am keeping an open mind.... that is still my position.
    I found them interesting, personally, and thought you might wish to see them.

Noreen

Zing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

This thread degenerated fast.

Noreen1 wrote: »
    I suggest you read the posts in the link I posted. You will find that I neither posted the photos, nor claim to know the person who posted them - or anyone else who was at Knock that day. Neither have I ever said anything other than that I am keeping an open mind.... that is still my position.
    I found them interesting, personally, and thought you might wish to see them.

Noreen

I suggest you read mine. I didnt accuse you of anything. What i was saying is that photos of the sun are not proof enough for anything but that the sun was in the sky.

I think from the lack of photos and videos and from the accounts of people who were there and witnesses the mass hysteria, but kept a level head themselves, we can assume that all events of this type in history could very easily been mass hysteria.

I mean, here is the one event that could put the whole thing to rest in an instant. Predicted to occur, and having happened too according to some people who were there, and 90% of people probably having cameras with them, and yet no photos (apart from a few of the sun)? Pull the other one :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I wasnt there but was reading up about it the other day and they interview the chap from Ballyfermot who predicted it. From what I recall on the radio, he asked the parish priest to hold the mass sermon outdoors but they refused, as they didnt believe him.

There are a mix of stories from people there. Some claim Our Lady appeared in the sun, some say the sun danced, others say it was an illusion and some say that nothing happened at all. Alot of people saw the sun dance though. Its a common even with apparitions.

The fact it wasnt captured on video or camera in a way makes sense. What would it prove? Absolutely nothing. There are countless amounts of ghost photos on the internet and in books, has any one photo ever been cited as being the ultimate proof of the existance of ghosts? No, obviously.

Anyone from this thread who was there - was there anything else? Smells, sounds?

faceman wrote: »
    I wasnt there but was reading up about it the other day and they interview the chap from Ballyfermot who predicted it. From what I recall on the radio, he asked the parish priest to hold the mass sermon outdoors but they refused, as they didnt believe him.

There are a mix of stories from people there. Some claim Our Lady appeared in the sun, some say the sun danced, others say it was an illusion and some say that nothing happened at all. Alot of people saw the sun dance though. Its a common even with apparitions.

The fact it wasnt captured on video or camera in a way makes sense. What would it prove? Absolutely nothing. There are countless amounts of ghost photos on the internet and in books, has any one photo ever been cited as being the ultimate proof of the existance of ghosts? No, obviously.

Anyone from this thread who was there - was there anything else? Smells, sounds?

But the fact that there are no photos or videos does not make sense at all. With the amount of cameras there there should be hundreds of photos all taken by different people.

The lack of them proves there was nothing to photograph.

Look here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=62521225&postcount=242

You can see at least 5 people holdign up their phones at yer man. They were only too eager to film him, Yet none of them got a picture of the virgin mary.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭pookie82

I'm going to have one last stab at this - the original reason for my posting this thread - does anyone have any ideas on how this might have been pulled off??

I never came on here asking if people thought it was a bona fide religious miracle or not - what I did ask was does anyone know of any possible ways in which this guy could have managed to orchestrate this? Usually I would pass off a newspaper report of hearsay of such an event as a load of people getting very carried away and a few tabloids hamming it up. But as I said in my OP, there were a couple of (very skeptical) people there who I know, who claim something very freaky happened that they can't explain.

As I am wont to lean in the non-religious direction on this one, I'm wondering if anyone had any theries on how one might pull this kind of thing off. Has it been done before? etc. I had no intention of starting a slanging match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Don't have time to check the thread to see if this has been posted already...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uuvFHxD0wA

Just looks like a beam of sunlight to me...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

But the fact that there are no photos or videos does not make sense at all. With the amount of cameras there there should be hundreds of photos all taken by different people.

The lack of them proves there was nothing to photograph.

Look here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=62521225&postcount=242

You can see at least 5 people holdign up their phones at yer man. They were only too eager to film him, Yet none of them got a picture of the virgin mary.

But what would the photos proof in fairness? It would hardly convince anyone who wasnt there that something happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

faceman wrote: »
    But what would the photos proof in fairness? It would hardly convince anyone who wasnt there that something happened.

It's not really so much that they would prove anything to anyone here, from my point of view I find it a little odd that there is so little footage, still or otherwise considering the amount of people there. I would like to see pics as I would be interested regardless of what I personally believe. I don't think mass hysteria can be ruled out, get a big crowd together and people who are normally rational and logical can get caught up in the fervour and go along with everyone else. There have been plenty of examples of this in the past!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 adolly

i am a 30 year old im not over religous
    i saw what i saw and even my 4 year old son could tell me i asked him what he saw and he told me what i had seen .
    nothing freeky happened it was deffinately our lady and the peace was just something else and i believe our lady talked to a girl whos child died 3 weeks ago and what she said to her was ANY ONE WHO HAS WROTE PETITIONS THEY ARE ANSWERED AND THAT SHE WILL BE BACK BEFORE THE CHRISTMAS so if you have any faith you will be there and see for yourselfs and my mother took a photo of our lady appearing and it is beautiful it was when the sun shined down but on the picture its like a glow of light coming outat the sides like wings/ or even or ladys arms it was amazing so thats what i saw and i did see the sun dance around and i did see the different colours
    all i say im one of the lucky ones
    pookie82 wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Before I start I'd just like to say that although I was raised as a Catholic with averagely religious parents, I am now on the religious fence but leaning most definitely towards there probably not being anything out there/up there etc, and I have long since turned away from anything to do with the Catholic church.

This whole furore this week over the expected appartion of the Virgin Mary predicted for 3pm today in Knock got me thinking this week, and after what I heard from some (who I would have deemed very reliable) eye witnesses a few hours ago, someone made some freaky sh*t happen there today.

Apparently there was a "sun dance" of some sort, i.e. the sun started to loop around in the sky and emenate light auras, spinning almost towards the earth at times and at others receeding and emitting a blinding light. Thousands of people present allegedly witnessed this simultaneously, all reporting pretty much the same thing, which happened on two seperate occasions and went on for minutes at a time (so not a blink-of-an-eye "vision" or anything).

The people who told me they had seen this were really freaked out today and are regularly hugely cynical. I suppose there's an element of "if you were there in the first place some part of you wanted to see something" but to be honest, I would never have expected to hear these people get genuinely petrified by what they saw.

Now the only thing that I can come up with is some kind of mass hypnosis which induced a common hallucination. I have no idea of the mechanics of such a feat but I'm sure it can be done. The other solution is obviously some sort of technical equipment which can magically blind people with a light, make them think they see the sun doing freaky things and can leave them all pretty terrified without copping on to what's really going on. The last solution of course is one in which something paranormal actually happened, and although I'm quite a fan of reading about all things paranormal, I would be a skeptic by nature, particlularly when it comes to religion.

I'll be interested to see if there were any camera crews there or if there's any media follow up on this. It would strike me as highly dubious that this phenomenon was predicted (well, the blessed virgin didn't show up herself it seems, but there was much talk by this clairvoyant dude that she would send a sign) but not one person showed up with a camera.

I guess what I'm asking is if anyone has any idea on how something like this might be fabricated (if it was, for those of you who might believe it was genuinely a religious sign). Is there any evidence in the past of mass hallucinations or hypnosis in this context? How on earth did the guy do it????

Any thoughts? Thanks for reading!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭pookie82

adolly wrote: »
    i am a 30 year old im not over religous
    i saw what i saw and even my 4 year old son could tell me i asked him what he saw and he told me what i had seen .
    nothing freeky happened it was deffinately our lady and the peace was just something else and i believe our lady talked to a girl whos child died 3 weeks ago and what she said to her was ANY ONE WHO HAS WROTE PETITIONS THEY ARE ANSWERED AND THAT SHE WILL BE BACK BEFORE THE CHRISTMAS so if you have any faith you will be there and see for yourselfs and my mother took a photo of our lady appearing and it is beautiful it was when the sun shined down but on the picture its like a glow of light coming outat the sides like wings/ or even or ladys arms it was amazing so thats what i saw and i did see the sun dance around and i did see the different colours
    all i say im one of the lucky ones

Can you post the photo??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,653 ✭✭✭squonk

How much of this is people convincing themselves they're seeing something because they're supposed to be seeing something? Also, how much of this is people 'claiming' to have seen somethign when they didn't because they'd feel inadequate somehow faithwise if they didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Dean820

I feel sorry for anyone who believes they saw something. They make themselves sound like fools, 'the sun was dancing' my arse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭blue42

i feel sorry for anyone who belives in noting!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Dean820

blue42 wrote: »
    i feel sorry for anyone who belives in noting!

Was that directed at me? I'm open to there being a god as well as there being none. Unlike you, who it would seem is single-minded and relies on blind faith.

Can this thread be locked please?!

Yeh I second it being locked tbh, Gone a bit out of hand.

Also, would it not be a good idea to get some people from boards to the next apparition? Since its supposed to be the 31st right?

Just a tought, im sure theres a few that would be well up for it.

Yeh I second it being locked tbh, Gone a bit out of hand.

Also, would it not be a good idea to get some people from boards to the next apparition? Since its supposed to be the 31st right?

Just a tought, im sure theres a few that would be well up for it.

Why would you want to lock it. Im still waiting for proof that it happened, and if it to be posted anywhere, its in this thread..

Thats a good idea about the next apparition. Maybe the people from the paranormal forum can go and capture some proof of supernatural activity there. Should be easy to get movies of the sun dancing or Mary appearing. Wouldnt that just shut all of us doubters up.

• Advertisement

I asked for it to locked because of instead of a civilised and mannerly discussion it has degenerated into a playground insult match.
    Take a look over in other threads that deal with spirituality-instead of a lively debate one is confronted with snide and overzealous comments of people more interested in 'winning the thread' than engaging in discourse and perhaps learning something.

Advertisement