Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Light Recommendations (formerly Front Light For Dark Country) Road Commute

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,213 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

keith_d99 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Cycled for the first time in pitch darkness on my commute home, part of which is through unlit country roads (and lanes) - and yeah it was dark to say the least!

Anyhow - had a 9 bulb led front light (BBB) - was grand, but couldn't see to far ahead of me as I had to point it fairly down to watch for potholes etc.

Can anyone recommend a light? Or should I just get a second led light?

Cheers,
    Keith.

I ordered these from CRC and they arrived today (battery charging as we speak)

Similar to yourself, my commute is on unlit roads. Can't comment on these lights yet but they can't make the road any darker!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭rottenhat

Lumen wrote: »
    "Included in delivery: front light incl. standard handle bar mounting (22 bis 26mm), optional available with 4 accus and controlled charger."

ISTR reading that you also need an extra widget for clamping to O/S bars, if you have those, @ €5.90.

Ah yes, just as well you mentioned that - the standard bracket only barely fits onto a 26.0mm bar (in what universe is 22mm a standard size anyway?) to the point where I was worried that it might break under the weight of the light over rough roads, so I did wind up getting the oversized bracket which I might have had to shim, though you do get a couple of pieces of rubber with it for that purpose.

Sounds like less of a bargain with every passing minute really....

Rottenhat - how do you mean charge in the light?

There seems to be 2 versions:

version: without accus and charger (192QM)
    version: incl. accus and charger (192QMLA)

Is the charger just a regular charger and 2 AA rechargable batteries?
    Link

Yeah, I was being dim...you leave the batteries in the light and plug the light into a charger. So it's not a regular charger, although you could certainly use one, and it takes 4AAs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Let us know how you get on! Reviews seem to be very good!
    07Lapierre wrote: »
    I ordered these from CRC and they arrived today (battery charging as we speak)

Similar to yourself, my commute is on unlit roads. Can't comment on these lights yet but they can't make the road any darker!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 31,009 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

rottenhat wrote: »
    Sounds like less of a bargain with every passing minute really....

For the Fenix option I paid:

TK11 R2: £69.94
    2 x protected 18650: £12.95 (TheTorchSite.co.uk)
    Lockblocks (3 pack): $15.99
    Charger: $8.44 (DealExtreme)

I make that €113.87, although I might have overpaid for the batteries (but my non-protected DX ones died after being used on a constant brightness torch).

The Ixon option works out at €85.80.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Have you seen them together?
    Yes, I did the Surf and Turf 300 with Rottenhat. The Fenix is brighter. To be honest I didn't get into comparing beam patterns, we were cycling along... The Ixon probably does have a better beam pattern, the Fenix is more impressive in terms of the "holy fúck what is that" burn the eyes off you effect, which for quieter roads and indeed urban use I am quite happy with as it gets me noticed.

The Ixon might be comparable to the Fenix on its lower mode (which is also perfectly usable.) Consider that you get 15+ hours out of this mode on the Fenix with easier/more compact spares... I find it very good in particular for travelling (obviously it doubles up as a torch :) ).

Both are good lights, the Ixon probably better if you want to be able to cycle along moderately busy roads in the dark without having to constantly dip like the Fenix.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

It would be nice if the B&M lights gave a lumen output as well. Some super light nerd probably has measured it on candlepowerforums or cycleforums

edit - contrary to Lumen, I've had no problems with the Dealextreme P7 or MTE torches. I use one on my commute regularly and a bit of night mtb and no issues. This include over the bars whacking of the light into mud and extreme rain. Their QA isn't great, but if there is a problem, they are ok with returns and replacements. Never gotten flashed when on medium ~200 lumen mode.

I've been contemplating a dynamo powered light, but really, the cost outweighs the convenience (as I have sufficient lights anyway)

There is also a new bike specific light http://dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.25149 - which is getting good reviews on mtbr.com. More of an MTB, or touring light though, the battery pack would be a bit of hassle.

Gavin wrote: »
    It would be nice if the B&M lights gave a lumen output as well. Some super light nerd probably has measured it on candlepowerforums or cycleforums

IMO Lumens is irrelevant.

(careful now)

Well, there is this thread on yacf. Could use better pictures possibly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

There is also a new bike specific light http://dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.25149 - which is getting good reviews on mtbr.com. More of an MTB, or touring light though, the battery pack would be a bit of hassle.

I've one of those on the way. Damn thing is still somewhere in the postal system.

• Advertisement

Stuck in customs???
    Tax Man - did you order there? What about US adapter?
    I've one of those on the way. Damn thing is still somewhere in the postal system.

Stuck in customs???

No ordered it through Ebay. Coming from Hong Kong.10-14 days delivery time.:( Seller claims no one has been hit for customs,looking through feedback it seems no one has....yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Stuck in customs???
    It's 100V~240V AC charger (US plug) - you only need a mechanical adapter of which I have countless from ordering stuff from Pixmania. (Let me know if you need one Taxman.)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Cool, let me know what you think of it. Tempted to get it for MTB.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭ajk24

http://www.ayup-lights.com/systems/lighting-systems/v-twin-sports/

a guy at work has a set of these and swears by them - will be taking a lend next week to test so will report back

Cool, let me know what you think of it. Tempted to get it for MTB.

Will do. :)

Ended up going with Gavin ad Taxman's recommendation (couldn't wait to see how Taxman got on as it's 2 weeks til the clocks go back).

All in €55 including shipping - just hope customs don't put on extra!
    Great reviews on mtbr.com

Thanks to all for the recommendations!

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭biker_joe

Anyone tried these ?

http://www.planet-x-warehouse.co.uk/acatalog/Airbike.html

thinking of ordering this week ????

Biker JOe

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭rflynnr

Just so youse know: I ordered the Ixus IQ with charger and a helmet mount (since that is where it'll be sitting). Will report back when it arrives...

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭ajk24

ajk24 wrote: »
    http://www.ayup-lights.com/systems/lighting-systems/v-twin-sports/

a guy at work has a set of these and swears by them - will be taking a lend next week to test so will report back

just back from a spin from cork city out into the countryside (crossbarry) and back by way of south link ring road - the ayup lights are savage. 2 independently adjustable leds - better than most cars dipped beams, even
    had a pedestrian comment "those are an awesome set of lights" (it was a yank) as I pulled back into carpark at work.

they are reviewed on bike radar at the moment as well
    http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/category/accessories/lights/front/product/roadie-kit-32400

will def be ordering - if anyone wants to get one there is a decent saving to be made on postage for a group order. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭chakattack

biker_joe wrote: »
    Anyone tried these ?

http://www.planet-x-warehouse.co.uk/acatalog/Airbike.html

thinking of ordering this week ????

Biker JOe

+1

I have my eye on these. Looks like a cheap version of the very pricey light and motion stella 200 lumen light.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/accessories/lights/front/product/stella-200-33770

How are Planet X for returns if anything goes wrong?

Or should I just get a Fenix?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭davemckenna25

Hi. I'm new to this too and was thinking of the Spiderfire Q5 CREE LED 205 Lums Bike Bicycle Light B200. Would be on unlit roads morning and night. Would this be sufficient? Anybody ever used one of these?
    Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 880 ✭✭✭eggie

ajk24 wrote: »
    just back from a spin from cork city out into the countryside (crossbarry) and back by way of south link ring road - the ayup lights are savage. 2 independently adjustable leds - better than most cars dipped beams, even
    had a pedestrian comment "those are an awesome set of lights" (it was a yank) as I pulled back into carpark at work.

they are reviewed on bike radar at the moment as well
    http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/category/accessories/lights/front/product/roadie-kit-32400

will def be ordering - if anyone wants to get one there is a decent saving to be made on postage for a group order. :D

They look good, might order a set of Twins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭davemckenna25

Have seen where i can get one of these from Germany for 54euro.
    Has anyone got any experience of them. Are they any good?
    Thanks.

Have seen where i can get one of these from Germany for 54euro. Has anyone got any experience of them. Are they any good?

Bike24 sell them, but not for €54.

As far as I can tell, the IQ and IQ Speed are largely the same, except that the whereas the IQ uses standard rechargable AAs the Speed comes with a proprietory external battery pack which can drive up to two head units; also the Speed is a little bit brighter (50 lux vs 40 lux).

I'm waiting on delivery of my IQ (not the Speed version). RFlynnnR also ordered one for helmet mounting (see above). Rottenhat has one already.

IMO the slightly lower output of the boggo IQ is worth living with for the greater convenience/replaceability of the AA cells, which charge inside the unit.

The only downside of the Ixon (judging from the beamshots) compared to other more floody lights appears to be a fairly dark area immediately in front of the bike. I'll experiment with pairing with my Fenix TK11 or maybe sell that and use a second Ixon, fitted to point down a little.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭emty

Was using tne Fenix TK11 in pitch-dark conditions around Millstreet in Cork during the week and was more than pleased with it.Gave an good throw of light and more importantly I felt quite safe.If cost is an issue I don't think you will get more bang for your buck.
    Have heard great things about the Aye- Up system but would be concerned that import duty would be charged on them making them even more expensive then they already are.Would still like to get a set though.

The only downside of the Ixon (judging from the beamshots) compared to other more floody lights appears to be a fairly dark area immediately in front of the bike. I'll experiment with pairing with my Fenix TK11 or maybe sell that and use a second Ixon, fitted to point down a little.

Ideally I think you want two lights in any case - one fork-mounted, and one bar-mounted, with the bar-mounted light angled a little more down than the fork-mounted. That should ensure fairly extensive coverage and excellent visibility to oncoming traffic.

Btw,had a bad blow out,including a ripped tire which needed a boot to fix on Wed night literally in the middle of no-where.Was very glad to have a bright.detatchable light to work with.Just something to bare in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Did you buy your fenix from dealextreme emty?

• Advertisement

No,fenixstore.com but got the batteries and charger from dealextreme.

Advertisement