Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Light Recommendations (formerly Front Light For Dark Country) Road Commute

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭trinewbie

keith_d99 wrote: »
    Yeah took about a week to change from processing to shipped
    Cheers dude.still no progess with my order and no response to emails.real sh1tty customer service.did you get an email when it was shipped with a tracking numBer and shipping confirmation?

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭trinewbie

Did anyone who ordered from dealextreme get a confirmation email when their order was shipped? Nothing has changed with my order status and I cant get an email response from them -

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

trinewbie wrote: »
    Did anyone who ordered from dealextreme get a confirmation email when their order was shipped? Nothing has changed with my order status and I cant get an email response from them -

It takes ages, you just have to wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭keith_d99

I did get an email when the order shipped which contained a tracking number.

I had emailed them before that and had no reply either. As far as I know - the way DealExtreme work is that they wait for the orders to build up before ordering from their suppliers.

No easy - but try and be patient. Ordering from them is frustrating to say the least - but it will come!
    trinewbie wrote: »
    Cheers dude.still no progess with my order and no response to emails.real sh1tty customer service.did you get an email when it was shipped with a tracking numBer and shipping confirmation?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,289 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

tracking no. just appeared on my magicshine order

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

5 mode just arrived at dealextreme
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.30864

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Gavin wrote: »
    Cheers for that, just ordered it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭Home:Ballyhoura

Gavin wrote: »

Thanks aswell! Just ordered mine too, and an added bonus is that is is a UK plug...wohoo! I had the older 3 mode one in my cart just lastnight about to make the order but for some reason I just decided to leave it. So glad I did now. Cheers! It will be interesting who receives theirs first and who gets caught by customs! Haha, I will keep ye updated! ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

This is my one. €129 from LBS. She strong, 1840 lux is written on the box.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

How do you tell when the battery is charged on the new 5-mode http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.30864 ? Can't see an indicator light on either the battery pack or charger plug.

EDIT: Is that it there on the bottom left of the back of the plug - http://www.dealextreme.com/productimages/sku_30864_7.jpg ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭Home:Ballyhoura

blorg wrote: »
    Cheers for that, just ordered it.

Hey blorg...I'm not sure but I think we could have made a mistake by our rushed decision! On the old 3 mode version there were two models, this one and this one. The only difference between them is 82¢ and the first (less popular) had "Circuitry:Digital Regulated 1000mA Current Output" and the second (most popular and generally referred to as "THE" DealExtreme MagicShine) had "Circuitry:Digital Regulated 2400mA Current Output". I actually read here and I think somewhere else aswell that the first 1000mA version wouldn't be as good and would be less bright, but would keep cool better during operation. The worrying thing was that it was suggested that it's only half as bright.

Well, how does this apply to us with our 5 mode versions I hear you ask...the thing is that those are that
    1000mA version too. And I don't even think there will be a bike mount included! It says it is a headlamp and not advertised as a bike light as before...no mention of bike mounts neither are they seen in the pictures! It just says 1 x Head Strap.

OMG what have I done...have I made a big mistake in my excitement that DX got the 5 mode version in? Or am I wrong and will it be grand? What would ye do (and blorg, what are you going to do?)...is it time to go and look for a way to cancel the order? Please let me know asap, cheers! :o

EDIT: Oh, and I meant to say I intend to use this as a bar light as I already have a helmet light. Also, even the more legit one on GeoMan is the 2400ma version

I am not sure how accurate DX is on a lot of these things... I am going to relax and see what I get in the mail in a month or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

So much great information on this thread.

I want to get the Fenix TK11 since I want a torch which can be helmet mounted. I will be running this in addition to my Light and Motion Vega, which is plenty bright.

Some questions:
    1. is the 60 lumen mode adequate for urban cycling?
    2. would I need to dip it when in the 60 lumen mode?
    3. If helmet mounted, is it easy to dip the torch?

4. Finally, anyone know of any helmet mounted rear lights?

Yes, No, Don't Know but probably, not necessary.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,285 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Raam wrote: »

The Exposure RedEye Rear Light can be helmet mounted. It can be powered from the Exposure Joystick Front Light-Helmet Mount

On the dipping point, I tend to find my helmet light tends to be pointing down with the main beam 2-3 metres ahead, and not shining into oncoming vehicles (unless I point my head in an unusual direction - I have the light on the road side of the helmet, so it naturally tends to point more towards the kerb than in the direction of oncoming traffic)

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Deisetrek

So much great information on this thread.
    which is plenty bright.

Raam , virtually any rear light can be mounted to the rear of your helmet with the help of a few cable ties slotted through the vents of the helmet at the rear . I have a Smart superflash ( about 10 euro on Wiggle) on mine , excellent helmet light .

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Deisetrek wrote: »
    Raam , virtually any rear light can be mounted to the rear of your helmet with the help of a few cable ties slotted through the vents of the helmet at the rear . I have a Smart superflash ( about 10 euro on Wiggle) on mine , excellent helmet light .

On that I just got a cable-tie and my Smart superflash and attached it to my helmet, fits perfectly. Will be doing that from now on.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭emty

Again,just going on yesterday's spin I felt that my Fenix TK11 was at least equal to all the different types on display and was more than pleased with its battery life.Also,the ease of transfaring it to another bike is very appealling as is its use in being able to detach it from the bike in case of emergency.
    Also would have to say that I don't really see the point in putting a rear light on your helmet,better to have good lights on your rear stays but each to their own.
    Slightly off- topic but was greatly impressed by my first-time use of a carridice bag,certainly made my day more enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

emty wrote: »
    Slightly off- topic but was greatly impressed by my first-time use of a carridice bag,certainly made my day more enjoyable.

Staying off topic, can your saddle take such a bag or what way had you it attached to the bike?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,285 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Also would have to say that I don't really see the point in putting a rear light on your helmet,better to have good lights on your rear stays but each to their own.

It adds to the Xmas tree effect - one on each stay, another on the saddle bag and one on the helmet:). I also think it is helpful to have some lights which are not attached to your bike, in case you get separated from it in an accident - vehicles can still see you (as well as your bike)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Also would have to say that I don't really see the point in putting a rear light on your helmet,better to have good lights on your rear stays but each to their own.....

Most people I see with a rear helmet light also have at least one (if not more) other rear lights on the bike. I've noticed on other cyclists the high mounted light either on a rucksack or helmet catches your attention, probably more than bike mounted light. I have a red flasher I hang out my jacket collar. I think bikes with more lights catch your eye more then just one light. Even if that one light is a good light.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭rflynnr

Came across this when ordering this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

armband.jpgSafety Armband

Safety Armband

Reflective yellow armband with Velcro strap, ideal for outdoor activities such as Running, Cycling, Walking, Riding etc
    • 4 Super bright Red LED lights with reflective yellow band
    • 2 Mode flashing light
    • Long lasting lithium battery included
    • Comfortable easy to use Velcro strap size adjustable

Price £3.8 inc VAT

I got some of these in Lidl earlier in the year. They tie perfectly onto the back of my Giro helmet and tbh do the job perfectly

Back on thread, @emty, Blorg recomended that light to be last week and I want to get one, where did you buy yours? thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭emty

Staying off topic, can your saddle take such a bag or what way had you it attached to the bike?
    I used the sqr hanger,which you can buy seperately from carridice(or some kind soul will give you for free,thanks again old 'hat).Works like a dream,bag itself is like a tardis.

http://www.fenixtorch.co.uk/led_torches/fenix_tk11_r2.html

says it comes with free batteries. Does anyone know if it's the 18650 or CR123 type?

Need to figure out which charger to get.

wf138-ultrafire.jpgwf139-ultrafire.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

says it comes with free batteries. Does anyone know if it's the 18650 or CR123 type?

CR123s. You''l need to buy a charger and a couple of "protected" 18650s.

Lumen wrote: »
    CR123s. You''l need to buy a charger and a couple of "protected" 18650s.

Why do I need protected 18650s?
    Will the white charger and the supplied CR123s not do?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I can't remember how the Fenix is regulated, but torches which provide constant brightness can kill non-protected cells. This is not a theoretical problem - I killed a non-protected cell using one of my ubertorches. I don't remember protected ones being any more expensive, so it's a bit of a no-brainer.

I think the 18650s give you longer runtime or more brightness or something.

DX is the place for this stuff.

CR123s are not rechargable. There is a rechargable variant but the ones you get are not. 18650s also have substantially more energy (basically there is a fair bit more mass in a single 18650 than two CR123s- CR123s have a smaller diameter and with the two batteries you have a bit of space between them.)

Protected 18650s just have very marginally lower energy capacity than unprotected, as they use up a bit of space in the battery for the protection circuit. It's pretty minimal.

• Advertisement

Thanks guys.
    So I figure this is all I need...

TK11R2 - Fenix TK11 Cree R2
    lockblocks - Lockblocks Flashlight Holder
    WF-139 - Ultrafire WF-139 Charger
    18650AW - AW 18650 Rechargeable Battery

Advertisement