Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

swine flu

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ebmma

Maybe it's just all the same to me :-) I've signed something that tells me what exactly can go wrong and I've agreed to that..

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭hiltonhater

Thanks Ebmma so much for my hope of being able to get the tried and tested normal flu vaccine instead :rolleyes:

I just found something else that'll make it make awkward for me to get it also, the swine flu vaccine can't be given to people with egg allergys which I have.

Think I'll have to call into the doc and see if there's an alternative, I know in America they do have an egg free vaccine but I doubt somehow that there is.

Celvapan is for people with egg allergies

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

I'm definately going to get it.. with so much extra pressure on the lungs and heart when you're pregnant there's more to think about than side effects.. i'm allergic to paracetamol so i'm a martyr to pain and have been reprimanded by my GP that severe pain can also be harmful... blood pressure and so on. She prescribed zydol last month for bad pain( i've a gammy hip and standing in my job all day leaves me crippled!) i've only taken one so far... :) that was today cos i've a snotty cold and the pain in my face head and sore throat was driving my family mad for hte last few days..so i relented and took one... the relief.. i didn't even need my stick getting up off a chair!!! :D Although my GP did want to get the jab herself before giving it to pregnant women so she'd know what she was talking about when it comes to side effects.. Also the WHO has said last week it's safe for pregnant women...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

I'm hoping to get mine tomorrow morning. sooner the better really as more and more people around me seem to be contracting it.

Thanks Hiltonhater - you're right its the Celvapan jab that I've to get, my GP doesn't have it so I've to go to a HSE clinic being run in a private hospital in town to get it.

I googled it to get info. on it versus Pandemrix and it comes up as 'non adjuvant' - am I right in saying then that the Celvapan doesn't contain mercury then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭tmdsurvey

CathyMoran wrote: »
    and you have to sign a disclaimer or two...

The need for disclaimers to be signed would not fill me with confidence in the slightest. It is not good to hear that...Did they qualify the need for disclaimers Cathy?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

tmdsurvey wrote: »
    The need for disclaimers to be signed would not fill me with confidence in the slightest. It is not good to hear that...Did they qualify the need for disclaimers Cathy?
    My doc is very bad about that for anything during pregnancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

hi i wasjust wondering is there any doctors in arklow signed to give the injection and if there is could you let me know
    thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

I googled it to get info. on it versus Pandemrix and it comes up as 'non adjuvant' - am I right in saying then that the Celvapan doesn't contain mercury then?

I looked at the ingredients and it appears that Celvepan doesn't contain Mercury. Don't quote me on that tho!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

I looked at the ingredients and it appears that Celvepan doesn't contain Mercury. Don't quote me on that tho!

I believe you're correct, that's the difference between the two. My wife cancelled her appointment with her GP so she could get celvepan from the HSE clinic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

Has there been any reported incidences/adverse effects/etc.. in pregnant women who have had the vaccine?

I know its probably for the best to get it I just don't want to take even the slightest risk of affecting the pregnancy or the baby.

• Advertisement

Has there been any reported incidences/adverse effects/etc.. in pregnant women who have had the vaccine?

I know its probably for the best to get it I just don't want to take even the slightest risk of affecting the pregnancy or the baby.
    If you do not take it you are also at risk if you get swine flu, that was my attitude.

If you do not take it you are also at risk if you get swine flu, that was my attitude.

there's so many people worried about effects of the vaccine but I haven't heard anyone worrying as much about complications/premature labour/risk of miscarriage from the swine flu. I find it very strange.

ebmma wrote: »
    there's so many people worried about effects of the vaccine but I haven't heard anyone worrying as much about complications/premature labour/risk of miscarriage from the swine flu. I find it very strange.
    I think that it is scaremongering about the vaccine but that is just my opinion. If you get swine flu and are pregnant you are at an increased risk of complications...will try and get the regular flu jab next.

I think that it is scaremongering about the vaccine but that is just my opinion. If you get swine flu and are pregnant you are at an increased risk of complications...will try and get the regular flu jab next.

I personally think people are way over optimistic about "I'm young and healthy and nothing is going to happen to me"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Kent Brockman

It doesn't take a whole lot of research to find out what the real experts and recognized authorities on health issues have to say on the matter,
    Here is a few examples:

http://www.babycenter.com/404_should-i-get-a-flu-shot-when-im-pregnant_2488.bc

http://www.upi.com/Health_News/2009/09/10/Pregnant-women-should-get-seasonal-flu-shot/UPI-10471252604602/

http://kidshealth.org/parent/h1n1_center/h1n1_center_qa/h1n1_pregnancy.html

There will always be scaremongers and negativity but unfortunately that is human nature.

I'm getting the vaccine asap, not because I dont want the swine flu- but because I don't want to pass it on to someone more vunerable and higher risk than myself, who may have serious health issues or even die because I'm too concerned about myself to bother getting it !

It doesn't take a whole lot of research to find out what the real experts and recognized authorities on health issues have to say on the matter,
    Here is a few examples:

http://www.babycenter.com/404_should-i-get-a-flu-shot-when-im-pregnant_2488.bc

http://www.upi.com/Health_News/2009/09/10/Pregnant-women-should-get-seasonal-flu-shot/UPI-10471252604602/

http://kidshealth.org/parent/h1n1_center/h1n1_center_qa/h1n1_pregnancy.html

There will always be scaremongers and negativity but unfortunately that is human nature.

I'm getting the vaccine asap, not because I dont want the swine flu- but because I don't want to pass it on to someone more vunerable and higher risk than myself, who may have serious health issues or even die because I'm too concerned about myself to bother getting it !
    I have problems when people are naysayers of doom and they do not even quote valid medical sources...OK, so I am a scientist but. I got the vaacine and do not regret it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

I have problems when people are naysayers of doom and they do not even quote valid medical sources...OK, so I am a scientist but. I got the vaacine and do not regret it.

Amen to that. I spent hours literally hours trawling the internet and reading every medical website for information on both sides of the argument about the vaccine before getting it.
    Yet when I told people I was getting the vaccine I got plenty of 'Are you sure, they haven't tested it properly its not safe'.
    These the same people that hadn't actually read anything about it!

I had mine this morning and I'm so glad just to have it over and done with. I did feel queasy for a few hours after it but other than that no bother.
    I had the Celvepan so didn't have to sign a disclaimer or anything to the effect.

Amen to that. I spent hours literally hours trawling the internet and reading every medical website for information on both sides of the argument about the vaccine before getting it.
    Yet when I told people I was getting the vaccine I got plenty of 'Are you sure, they haven't tested it properly its not safe'.
    These the same people that hadn't actually read anything about it!

I had mine this morning and I'm so glad just to have it over and done with. I did feel queasy for a few hours after it but other than that no bother.
    I had the Celvepan so didn't have to sign a disclaimer or anything to the effect.
    I had the other one but am happy that the risks to my baby are negligible.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I got the vaccine this afternoon at the HSE clinic here in Galway. Had to fill in a form with my details and state that I had read the information leaflet. Was delighted to get it and thus far no side effects, hope I don't catch it in the next 2 weeks while it takes effect!

Got a lot of people telling me it's not safe, funnily enough they were only reporting what they heard down the pub!

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭hiltonhater

im booked in for thursday to get it. amazing how many people say 'oh no you shouldnt get that done' bla bla bla when you tell them. as IF i am putting myself and baby in danger voluntarily. they must think that pregnancy means you cant bloody read and research anything. very annoying. i know i am making the right choice for me for now and thats all that is going to matter at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Pretty sure I had swine flu so I'm not getting it, flu symptoms that came on sudden enough - my younger brother is getting it sometime soon, but has to be ordered in for him specially as he cannot have the egg based ones cos he is allergic to egg and quite a few things, as well as being asthmatic.

As for everyone in high risk categories, if I were in those, I'd be getting it. Better safe than sorry in every case.

Pretty sure I had swine flu so I'm not getting it, flu symptoms that came on sudden enough - my younger brother is getting it sometime soon, but has to be ordered in for him specially as he cannot have the egg based ones cos he is allergic to egg and quite a few things, as well as being asthmatic.

As for everyone in high risk categories, if I were in those, I'd be getting it. Better safe than sorry in every case.
    If you are pregnant then you are in a high risk group, how far along are you? It might be no harm to ring your maternity hospital unless you have actually tested positive for swine flu.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 112 ✭✭Chesty LaRue

New to boards! 18wks pregnant and due to get vaccine on Thursday morn. My doc not administering so going to HSE Clinic. I have checked the HSE website and they dont mention anything about the Celvepan vaccine. I definitely feel more comfortable getting the Celvepan one as opposed to Thiomersal. I will give the HSE a call in the morn but just wondered if anyone could confirm that all HSE clinics are giving Celvepan??? Ta

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

If you are pregnant then you are in a high risk group, how far along are you? It might be no harm to ring your maternity hospital unless you have actually tested positive for swine flu.

Whoops, just realised I posted in the wrong swine flu forum, meant to post it in another one! Just typical for the day I'm having today! Not actaully pregnant, which means I'm not in the high risk groups! But if I was, I would be getting it!

Couldnt get through on the HSE helpline!!! :mad:
    Rang St Fintans Hospital who are administering for my area today and spoke with a really nice PHN who confirmed that they are giving the Celvepan vaccine (egg and mercury free)...I am getting it in the morn in Tullamore. Definitely feel more at ease now :), however I would have gotten it either way but would have worried until the birth....
    New to boards! 18wks pregnant and due to get vaccine on Thursday morn. My doc not administering so going to HSE Clinic. I have checked the HSE website and they dont mention anything about the Celvepan vaccine. I definitely feel more comfortable getting the Celvepan one as opposed to Thiomersal. I will give the HSE a call in the morn but just wondered if anyone could confirm that all HSE clinics are giving Celvepan??? Ta

got the vaccine today and i've to go back in 3 weeks and get the second one it's pandemrix it has egg but no mercury. no side effects but i'm really tired... might have some thing to do with being awake most of the night with toothache!!! sorted that first thing ..that was five injections today... i'm like a pin cushion but pain free!!! yay :D

cbyrd wrote: »
    got the vaccine today and i've to go back in 3 weeks and get the second one it's pandemrix it has egg but no mercury. no side effects but i'm really tired... might have some thing to do with being awake most of the night with toothache!!! sorted that first thing ..that was five injections today... i'm like a pin cushion but pain free!!! yay :D
    I am sooo bloody confused with this vaccine...why are you getting a second one? I thought it was official that one jab was enough (there was a possibility of a second jab for under 6's)...My Dad got the Pandemrix one last week (he has COPD) and he was told there is a small trace of mercury in it. However, it is not methyl mercury but ethyl mercury (different compound) and is not harmful. Anyhow, I dont feel like I have a choice really. I have a 6yr old son and husband at home. If I dont get the vaccine I am open to the flu and then put my family and unborn baby at risk. If my son or husband gets the flu and I am not vaccinated then I cant look after them. So I am off to get mine in the morn. Wish me luck! BTW, hope u get some sleep tonight. Tomorrow is so much easier to get through when you get a good nights sleep!

i think it's a case of being sure to be sure... i got the leaflet and that's more or less what it said... i don't even have a red mark where i got it and i tell you the relief just knowing that in 2 weeks i'll be immune.. i'm a mens hairdresser and you wouldn't believe how many men snot around the place with no tissues!! :D i've 2 girls going to school and you just never know when they could bring something home... they so kindly brought home this bad cold i have and that was 5 days of hell i couldn't imagine what swine flu would do to me!! happy days :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

A mass swine flu vaccination programme in the U.S. in 1976 caused far more deaths than the disease it was designed to combat, and the Health Protection Agency watchdog has asked doctors to look out for cases of GBS when the vaccinations begin.
    There are also concerns the jab can spark cases of Guillain Barre Syndrome, which can lead to paralysis and even death

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1208716/Half-GPs-refuse-swine-flu-vaccine-testing-fears.html#ixzz0VyHHyZQC

why would a person want to inject themselves with a vaccine that has not being fully tested, it's absolutly crazy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

I am sooo bloody confused with this vaccine...why are you getting a second one? I thought it was official that one jab was enough (there was a possibility of a second jab for under 6's)...My Dad got the Pandemrix one last week (he has COPD) and he was told there is a small trace of mercury in it. However, it is not methyl mercury but ethyl mercury (different compound) and is not harmful. Anyhow, I dont feel like I have a choice really. I have a 6yr old son and husband at home. If I dont get the vaccine I am open to the flu and then put my family and unborn baby at risk. If my son or husband gets the flu and I am not vaccinated then I cant look after them. So I am off to get mine in the morn. Wish me luck! BTW, hope u get some sleep tonight. Tomorrow is so much easier to get through when you get a good nights sleep!

any mercury is harmful if injected into a human use common sense.

Thimerosal was eliminated in many countries over 20 years ago due to safety concerns. In 1977, a Russian study found that adults exposed to ethylmercury, the exact form of mercury injected with thimerosal, suffered brain damage years later. Studies on thimerosal poisoning also describe tubular necrosis and nervous system injury, including obtundation, coma and death. As a result of these findings, Russia banned thimerosal from children’s vaccines in 1980. Denmark, Austria, Japan, Great Britain and all the Scandinavian countries have also banned the preservative.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement